Suicide Squad - Why Care About DC's Sinking Ship?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
14,276
15
43
Suicide Squad - Why Care About DC's Sinking Ship?

Suicide Squad needed to be a hit for Warner Bros. to hold our interest in the DCEU.

Read Full Article
 

Solkard

New member
Sep 29, 2014
179
0
0
So is it the first or second act that's weak? Because different reviews seem to have different opinions on that part. Could it be that it was just composed of too many different segments, that there was too little crossover in appeal?
 
Apr 17, 2009
1,752
0
0
Better watch out, there'll be a petition to remove the Escapist from the internet now they've had a bad review of Suicide Squad.

Though the general trend of "meh" that this movie is leaving in its wake is honestly disappointing. I'd been hoping this one would have been good, just because it would seem to suit the grit-smeared aesthetic WB is going for with the DCCU. Superman might not have been a fit for it, but a team of bad guys going into a war zone where they're outright expected to die? Well thats the sort of shit that could get dark and work. Shame they messed it up
 

fluxy100

New member
May 22, 2010
114
0
0
Can anyone answer me one question about the movie? Why on earth would anyone put Harley in the team? She doesn't have powers, she's a decent level acrobat and that's about it, and she brings multiple maladies and instabilities into a team. Harley actively makes a team worse for her being in there. I feel like the only reason she's in the team is "Hey she's related to joker and that's the only batman villain people know so put her in"
 

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
13,768
0
0
So you're saying it's a DCappointment?

...

Please don't hurt me.
 

Otaku World Order

New member
Nov 24, 2011
463
0
0
fluxy100 said:
Can anyone answer me one question about the movie? Why on earth would anyone put Harley in the team? She doesn't have powers, she's a decent level acrobat and that's about it, and she brings multiple maladies and instabilities into a team. Harley actively makes a team worse for her being in there. I feel like the only reason she's in the team is "Hey she's related to joker and that's the only batman villain people know so put her in"
Probably because Harley was part of the Suicide Squad in DC's 2011 reboot continuity. That's where a lot of this team comes from.

Also, Margot Robbie in skimpy clown punk outfits and a Rainbow Dash dye job sells tickets really easily.
 

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
18,159
1
3
Country
UK
So which of the two is worth watching now for me? The BFG (I loved the cartoon film as a kid) or this? Don't say neither as I got alot of free time at the moment and I WILL go to the cinema to watch either one of the two!
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,924
0
0
Right now I don't know who to believe anymore:


Anyway I will be honest even if this movie ended up "good" I was not that excited for Suicide Squad even from the first trailer, Just didn't like the premise.
 

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
8,687
0
0
Marter said:
The action isn't anything special, the characters are thinly written, it's tonally inconsistent, it's difficult to care much about what's happening, and it ultimately amounts to nut not very much at all. Could it have been worse? Of course!
Don't mind me, just your resident English major putting my worthless degree to use. :3

Samtemdo8 said:
Right now I don't know who to believe anymore:
It should be noted that - at least from the few things I've seen/heard - there appears to be a disconnect between average fans (of which I would count Angry Joe since he's not an official movie critic) and actual movie critics. The critics hate it, but average fans have enjoyed it. AJ's review mirrors what I've heard from a number of friends that have seen it, but Marter's review mirrors what I've heard/read from official movie critics.
 

NooNameLeft

New member
Sep 15, 2009
208
0
0
Honestly not even surprised in the slightest that it turned about to be mediocre at best.

fluxy100 said:
Can anyone answer me one question about the movie? Why on earth would anyone put Harley in the team? She doesn't have powers, she's a decent level acrobat and that's about it, and she brings multiple maladies and instabilities into a team. Harley actively makes a team worse for her being in there. I feel like the only reason she's in the team is "Hey she's related to joker and that's the only batman villain people know so put her in"
From what I have read in another review she is suppose to have all sorts of criminal contacts which obviously help in this type of thing.
 

Stewie Plisken

New member
Jan 3, 2009
355
0
0
RJ 17 said:
It should be notice that - at least from the few things I've seen/heard - there appears to be a disconnect between average fans (of which I would count Angry Joe since he's not an official movie critic) and actual movie critics. The critics hate it, but average fans have enjoyed it. AJ's review mirrors what I've heard from a number of friends that have seen it, but Marter's review mirrors what I've heard/read from official movie critics.
Most comic book fans, critics or otherwise, seem to have enjoyed it to varying degrees. Official critics cite disjointed and convoluted plot or a waste of time as the primary issues, which means that A) They're correct about that much and B) They may be viewing the movie from a different lens than the other part of the audience that legitimately likes it.
 

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
2,631
109
68
Stewie Plisken said:
RJ 17 said:
It should be notice that - at least from the few things I've seen/heard - there appears to be a disconnect between average fans (of which I would count Angry Joe since he's not an official movie critic) and actual movie critics. The critics hate it, but average fans have enjoyed it. AJ's review mirrors what I've heard from a number of friends that have seen it, but Marter's review mirrors what I've heard/read from official movie critics.
Most comic book fans, critics or otherwise, seem to have enjoyed it to varying degrees. Official critics cite disjointed and convoluted plot or a waste of time as the primary issues, which means that A) They're correct about that much and B) They may be viewing the movie from a different lens than the other part of the audience that legitimately likes it.
Historically speaking, Critics and Summer Blockbusters, Critics and Action Movies, Critics and Movies with dark undertones or villain protagonists, and Critics and Sci-Fi/Other "Geek" Movies have generally had a pretty rocky relationship, and commonly been divided drastically in opinion.

Glancing through reviews, I'd expect its probably an enjoyable popcorn flick at the least, but don't expect any huge depth or Oscar nods.
 

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
5,499
0
0
Marter said:
Suicide Squad - Why Care About DC's Sinking Ship?

Suicide Squad needed to be a hit for Warner Bros. to hold our interest in the DCEU.

Read Full Article
Marter my friend, I usually agree with you on most of your movie reviews or at least can understand the whys of your critical views. However I disagree wholly.

I'll not go into it big, but I believe you viewed from the wrong expectations. What I saw was a B+ semi-serious comedy. I loved it. It had flaws, sure. However I felt it did a great job being a Comic Book Stylized movie. Hell Kevin Smith loves Suicide Squad and praised the crap out of David Ayer.

I guess it comes down to subjectivity and perception, maybe even expectation. BvS shattered a lot of folks faith in WB/DC movies and that may still be a sore open wound which permeated into the Suicide Squad reviews.

Well I respectfully disagree with your opinion Sir Marter, I'm sorry you couldn't see it through my eyes. Maybe you'd love it too then ;)
 

ArcaneGamer

New member
Dec 21, 2014
283
0
0
Marter said:
Suicide Squad - Why Care About DC's Sinking Ship?

Suicide Squad needed to be a hit for Warner Bros. to hold our interest in the DCEU.

Read Full Article
Sir, I respect your opinion. I like you here, and I like how you even said positive things about this film, however...this is one of those times where I say "I want to see it for myself." I have heard mixed reviews on this film. Most hate it, some like it. (If only because of how much it feels like they're actually ENJOYING themselves than in Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Pretension.) This looks like a load of fun, am I aware it isn't great? Oh yeah. But, I want to give this film a fair chance, and I hear little from the reviews that would merit a thirty-something percentage on Rotten Tomatoes. It looks like a high 60 or 70 to me. I want to see this for myself, and see if this really is decent.
 

RaikuFA

New member
Jun 12, 2009
4,371
0
0
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Better watch out, there'll be a petition to remove the Escapist from the internet now they've had a bad review of Suicide Squad.

Though the general trend of "meh" that this movie is leaving in its wake is honestly disappointing. I'd been hoping this one would have been good, just because it would seem to suit the grit-smeared aesthetic WB is going for with the DCCU. Superman might not have been a fit for it, but a team of bad guys going into a war zone where they're outright expected to die? Well thats the sort of shit that could get dark and work. Shame they messed it up
Dammit beat me to it.
 

K12

New member
Dec 28, 2012
943
0
0
Scarim Coral said:
So which of the two is worth watching now for me? The BFG (I loved the cartoon film as a kid) or this? Don't say neither as I got alot of free time at the moment and I WILL go to the cinema to watch either one of the two!
I saw the BFG yesterday and felt that it was generally worth watching but not worth watching twice. The BFG himself is good throughout but most of the stuff around him is rather lacklustre. The other giants weren't remotely threatening and had no real impact compared to the far more ogre-like ones in the cartoon version (though since I'm about 20 years older than when I first saw the cartoon it's hard to judge how much of that is down to me)

Giant country is rather dull and the dream catching and moving between worlds stuff felt a bit too ordinary. This film, to me, is a prime example of CGI making everything seem less magical and imaginative by making everything too grounded and indistinct.

The bits in Buckingham palace are a lot better though and made me wish that the film spent more time there and got there earlier when it finally came around. Overall I would have been disappointed if I hadn't already seen the mediocre reviews and the cartoon version is still better.
 

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
14,276
15
43
fluxy100 said:
Can anyone answer me one question about the movie? Why on earth would anyone put Harley in the team? She doesn't have powers, she's a decent level acrobat and that's about it, and she brings multiple maladies and instabilities into a team. Harley actively makes a team worse for her being in there. I feel like the only reason she's in the team is "Hey she's related to joker and that's the only batman villain people know so put her in"
Well actually, she's also a genius. She's a top class psychiatrist.

She's definitely more than an 'above average' acrobat. She's able to go toe to toe with Batman to an extent (she loses to him in most hand to hand fights, but she has enough skill to last a while).

She has also spent a lot of time around the Joker. Moreso than anyone else. And while it was enough to drive her insane as a therapist, the Joker was basically her mentor. It taught her how to be pretty dangerous.

And as someone else pointed out: She's been in since the reboot. And she's one of DC's most popular villains, so there's that.
 

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
14,276
15
43
Samtemdo8 said:
Right now I don't know who to believe anymore:


Anyway I will be honest even if this movie ended up "good" I was not that excited for Suicide Squad even from the first trailer, Just didn't like the premise.
The world is not an objective place. Believe no one absolutely :p...