Suicide Squad - Why Care About DC's Sinking Ship?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Saw the movie today and it was utterly forgettable. It doesn't add to the DC world building effort, the whole context of the movie is that it is meant to be a collection of really bad guys brought together to do a job that no one else could do, although I'll give it it's due in that it is actually a group of government controlled people brought together to do the job that the likes of Superman could do but under the assumption that Superman could one day fuck it I am not doing that... but anyway the only issue is that Deadeye turns out to be the bad guy who actually has a heart of gold, Harley is just... well she's Harley, Boomrang is just a fucking bank robber, who only kills his cohorts because calling him a bank robber and that's it doesn't really stack with the whole bad of the bad persona the movie is driving at, Slipknot (no idea he doesn't get an intro like everyone else) but he can climb anything (yeah worst of the worst they bring out DC's version of Spiderman minus everything else Spiderman can do.

The movie isn't anywhere near as funny as I was hoping it was going to be, reshoots, re edits whatever you want to call it to lighten the tone and give it more of a comedic element are fine but all the 'funniest' moments are all in the trailers that everyone has seen leading up to the release.

The last battle goes the same direction as Batman Vs Superman, cutting from characters to characters with a background of debris and shit and lighting and explosions and my god can someone get one of these DC fights to just look like anything other than a cluster fuck of lighting and explosions and the worst worst part of all this is how utterly utterly worthless the entire squad is, the bad of the bad sent in to kill a bad guy who Wonder Women could have dealt with without breaking a sweat.

Literally the bad guy here wants to destroy the world, Batman has already suggested setting up the Justice League to deal with these kind of threats so where the fuck was Wonder Women?

Oh and will someone please tell whoever is doing the writing and casting for DC bad guys that Heather Ledger's Joker was spot on because he was believably scary crazy rather than what Lex Luther (in BvsS) and The Joker in this movie are going for which is just crazy for the sake of being crazy.

The worst part about this movie though is had I gone to the cinema to see it without having seen a single trailer I suspect that I would have enjoyed it a whole lot more, the trailers, early sneak peaks all the media that they have shown over the last few months gave away all the best parts of the movie, yet strangely didn;t actually give ANY hint at the over arcing plot, which as it happens is utterly meh.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Marter said:
Suicide Squad - Why Care About DC's Sinking Ship?

Suicide Squad needed to be a hit for Warner Bros. to hold our interest in the DCEU.

Read Full Article
When you say the Movie spends too much time on backstory for the characters, how long are we talking about? I'm [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLF0YJuBuYY] assuming it's [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TOS2842z4k] considerably [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq7ZQKsGhVE] longer [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acY9agpYZyI] than what [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpqUMtQw8fo] Ocean's Eleven [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eWZ63DjHxA] needed to [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N6KuhP7T18] introduce [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5CwSH4-qs] its team members?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I was hoping this would be great. It has such a great premise, an almost literal wet dream to see villains come together like a violently disfunctional family and learn to kick ass and work as a team, while humanising their personalities. Eh, I'll wait for the DVD, as you say. Just saw Zootopia (or Zootropilis due to a stupid trademark problem with a theme park around us)...that was a bit of brilliant experience. With rabbits and foxes, damnit. What are we to do with this mess of DC movies? Do we need to bring back Heath Ledger...or try, if it will bring back some quality to these films. I want them to be good, BVS made me zone out while watching, it had no emotional hook work with. It's just in the hands of people with no love for the storytelling potential. A little disheartening really.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Ugicywapih said:
RJ 17 said:
Don't mind me, just your resident English major putting my worthless degree to use. :3
RJ 17 said:
It should be noticed/noted that - at least from the few things I've seen/heard - there appears to be a disconnect between average fans (of which I would count Angry Joe since he's not an official movie critic) and actual movie critics.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? I WILL! :D
Don't you worry, I punch myself in the dick every time I screw up like that after/while correcting someone. :p

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
You'll be back for Wonder Woman.
Based on...what, exactly?
It's literally the first superhero film with a female lead in like...forever.

Seriously, look at the list [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_superhero_films]. What've we got, Catwoman and Elektra back in 2004/2005? What else? Tank Girl? I didn't even know that existed until just now.

I'm not saying it'll be good or bad on the basis of its lead character's genitalia. But it's probably worth checking out.

Oct 15, 2015
bastardofmelbourne said:
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Seriously, look at the list [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_superhero_films]. What've we got, Catwoman and Elektra back in 2004/2005? What else? Tank Girl? I didn't even know that existed until just now.

I'm not saying it'll be good or bad on the basis of its lead character's genitalia. But it's probably worth checking out.
It'd be worth checking out if it wasn't a skinny waif who cant hold her head straight. Gal Gadot is the worst. THE WOOOOORST.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
HomuraDidNothinWrong said:
bastardofmelbourne said:
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:

It'd be worth checking out if it wasn't a skinny waif who cant hold her head straight. Gal Gadot is the worst. THE WOOOOORST.[/quote

Oh you want this version of Wonder Woman?

Fuck that version I want my Wonder Woman skinny and hot.

There is nothing hot about Women with muscles.

And here powers are magical in nature so she can fly and have Super Strength without muscles.

Oct 15, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:
bastardofmelbourne said:
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:

It'd be worth checking out if it wasn't a skinny waif who cant hold her head straight. Gal Gadot is the worst. THE WOOOOORST.[/quote

And here powers are magical in nature so she can fly and have Super Strength without muscles.
No I don't want that one. Suffers the same problem as gal gadot. Can't freaking hold her head straight. Seriously the supermodel head turn pisses me off, it projects weakness. https://static01.nyt.com/images/2013/05/05/fashion/05STUDIED_SPAN/05POSTURE_SPAN-jumbo.jpg Wonder Woman in the middle has the proper stance. Standing tall, head straight, projecting strength and pride.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Samtemdo8 said:
bastardofmelbourne said:
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Code:
To save space

My first thought was, "Which Legend of Korra fan artists drew this?"

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Having watched the movie, I loved the first act, the intro. But the movie 'plot' falls apart quickly. Being pegged as a metahuman taskforce to take down metahumans, their first mission? Save Amanda Waller. You know, the job a couple of Navy SEAL teams could've pulled off if they realized the horror of the situation and stuck together.

The Joker scenes were a bit hit and miss with me. And the fact that the team of 'metahumans' was two metahumans. And only one of them had a significant impact on the movie/plot. All they needed was special forces teams with guns. The Squad weren't needed, really. People go, but they did try. That doesn't count. It was a brief thing, not a proper planned assault.

When I found out that the script waas written in six weeks, I could understand why it had clunky narrative. A youtuber called MundaneMatt enjoyed the movie, as said that if you look at it from the theme of love you appreciate the movie more. I disagree. Abusive relationships makes more sense.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
"Why Care About DC's Sinking Ship?"

Because the only alternatives in the genre are Marvel (average films at best, bar a few exceptions), X-Men (average films across the board, with even fewer exceptions), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (can't comment, but I haven't read or heard many good things about them), and Power Rangers (please don't suck, please don't suck...), which isn't even out yet. So at this point I care just a little, in that the DCEU has given me one average film (MoS), one bad film (BvS), and Suicide Squad. Which I haven't seen, but with this review hardly being outside the consensus...sigh...

Unless SS really impresses me, the DCEU might just be a write-off for me as well. :(
Curiosity, Word of Mouth, and this trailer:

No multiple character from different universes likw Batman and Superman, all we have here is the development of Wonder Woman.
Development? She is 5000 yeats old, and apparently the ONLY time Warner Bros thinks a person who has been around for FIVE DAMN MILLENIA will only have an interesting story, is getting involved in a World War.

Sure maybe her entire has been somewhat dull, BUT IT IS FIVE THOUSAND YEARS, if WB really wants me to think that a warrior trained on Thamyscara hasn't has a single combat worth telling, then WB can joining the doomed USS DCEU

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
It'd be worth checking out if it wasn't a skinny waif who cant hold her head straight. Gal Gadot is the worst. THE WOOOOORST.
Out of all the endless, twisting ways in which you can do Wonder Woman terribly, Gal Gadot is doing a pretty decent job.

I might like it if she had more bulk, but not everyone's into that and she's a model before she was an actress, so I can't expect her to go Batfleck on us and turn into a hulking flesh-beast.

Samtemdo8 said:

The last point's fine, but a lot of people prefer Wonder Woman to be stacked for thematic reasons. She's an Amazon warrior-princess, not Buffy Summers. She should look tough more than anything else.

(Bear in mind I think Gal Gadot does a perfectly serviceable job of making her look tough already; muscles aren't mandatory)

Transdude1996 said:
My first thought was, "Which Legend of Korra fan artists drew this?"
That is Stjepan Sejic, who is one of my favourite amateur-to-professional artists ever. He draws Sunstone, which is a softcore lesbian BDSM comic, and Witchblade.

He's a big fan of Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy, which is why I'm holding out hope he'll get to do a team-up series with them someday. N...not because of Sunstone, or anything. Because of other reasons.

Some [http://nebezial.deviantart.com/art/some-recent-dc-stuff-524849193] of [http://nebezial.deviantart.com/art/one-size-fits-all-452498286] his [http://nebezial.deviantart.com/art/bats-bats-on-gargoyles-313667720] work. [http://nebezial.deviantart.com/art/suit-up-no-its-not-barney-319092958]

VoidWanderer said:
Development? She is 5000 yeats old, and apparently the ONLY time Warner Bros thinks a person who has been around for FIVE DAMN MILLENIA will only have an interesting story, is getting involved in a World War.

Sure maybe her entire has been somewhat dull, BUT IT IS FIVE THOUSAND YEARS, if WB really wants me to think that a warrior trained on Thamyscara hasn't has a single combat worth telling, then WB can joining the doomed USS DCEU
Let's be fair;

- she spent those five thousand years on an isolated island paradise, completely divorced from the rest of the world.
- the character development will likely come from how she deals with World War One, which was - at that point - an unprecedentedly large and astoundingly brutal global conflict that has become a byword for industrialised human slaughter. Even if she had participated in every war mankind had ever fought, she would have never seen something like World War One.
- Comics!Wonder Woman, traditionally, was involved in WW2 to some extent, although the canonicity of that experience has always been weird; sometimes it was her, sometimes it was her mother, sometimes neither of them did it.
- A Wonder Woman movie where Wonder Woman stays on Paradise Island the entire time would be incredibly fucking boring.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Right now I don't know who to believe anymore:

Anyway I will be honest even if this movie ended up "good" I was not that excited for Suicide Squad even from the first trailer, Just didn't like the premise.
I love Angry Joe as much as the next guy, but I honestly can't take that review seriously. Reading/watching any other review, even the good ones, it comes down to "Yeah it's a mess, but I had (or didn't have) fun" whereas Joe and Company are basically saying everything is great and fuck you to anyone that thinks otherwise. I think he was so disappointed with BvS that his mind wasn't able to allow him to go through that trauma again.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
mduncan50 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Right now I don't know who to believe anymore:

Anyway I will be honest even if this movie ended up "good" I was not that excited for Suicide Squad even from the first trailer, Just didn't like the premise.
I love Angry Joe as much as the next guy, but I honestly can't take that review seriously. Reading/watching any other review, even the good ones, it comes down to "Yeah it's a mess, but I had (or didn't have) fun" whereas Joe and Company are basically saying everything is great and fuck you to anyone that thinks otherwise. I think he was so disappointed with BvS that his mind wasn't able to allow him to go through that trauma again.
You've been gone for a long time?

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
fisheries said:
She looks hot to me.

Plus, she looks more than capable of wrecking people in a fight.

Why does being muscular preclude a woman from being attractive? And why is the most important characteristic for Wonder Woman being sexy? I mean really, "There is nothing hot about Women with muscles" says more about your insecurities than it does about them.

God forbid you look at their facial expression.
Some people don't like muscles on a woman. Some do. Diffrent strokes and all that.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
fluxy100 said:
Can anyone answer me one question about the movie? Why on earth would anyone put Harley in the team? She doesn't have powers, she's a decent level acrobat and that's about it, and she brings multiple maladies and instabilities into a team. Harley actively makes a team worse for her being in there.
Probably the second biggest problem with the film is that this isn't just a problem for Harley. The basic premise of the whole thing is that the next superpowered alien who shows up might not be as nice as Superman, so the USA needs a team of badasses ready to take on threats like that. So instead of doing that, they put together a team consisting of someone who has good aim, an insane psychiatrist, someone who can climb, an Australian, someone with a sword, a couple of random army guys, someone with bad skin who is apparently quite strong (but never actually shows it in the film), and finally the only person with actual powers who can throw fire around. Harley may actively make a team worse by being there, but so does literally everyone else in the team. They've supposedly been specifically chosen for their ability to fight against Superman-level threats, but not one of them actually has the ability to do so, and most would struggle against a regular reasonably well-trained human.

As for the Joker, he's not even in the film. There are a couple of meaningless flashbacks to give Harley some backstory, but other than that he shows up for no more than a minute or so in which he has no lines and doesn't actually do anything. The character could have been removed entirely and it would have had no impact whatsoever. There have been all kinds of arguments about whether this was a good interpretation of the character or not, but there's simply not enough character on display to come to a judgement at all.

However, the biggest problem is the plot. There isn't one. As Marter says, at least half the film is spent just setting things up and introducing some, but not even all, of the team. It then remembers is needs a plot, but completely fails to introduce one. Some people are doing something, they need to be stopped. That's not a short summary, that's the full level of detail we're given. One of the two villains doesn't even get a name, while the other gets a name and nothing else - no backstory, no motivation, no known powers or weaknesses, and most importantly no conversation or interaction with other characters.

It's really more a sketch-show than anything else. We get introduced to a group of quirky characters and watch them interact with each other. Then there's a bad guy and an explosion. The end. If you enjoy the characters and their interactions, then that might be enough to enjoy the film. If you want meaningful narrative, character development, or a plot that pays off in any way, stay well away - these aspects aren't simply badly done, they seem to have made a considerable effort to avoid including them at all.

Personally, it was enough for me to not be upset I paid money to see it. Will Smith, Viola Davis and Jai Courtney were great, while most of the others were at least good enough. Margot Robbie did well with what she had, but seemed to be dragged down by poor script and editing; when it wasn't trying to jam the "manic pixie dreamgirl" trope down your throat, it kept having weird pauses before and after her lines as if the editor expected a laugh track to kick in. Plus her connection to the non-character of the Joker rather spoiled her by proxy. The action was passable, but not really any more than that. The usual issues with fast cuts in dark settings made it difficult to see what's going on, which sadly was only helped by the fact that there was rarely much going on - for most of the film all the action is just the protagonists repeatedly mowing down literally faceless mooks. The music was often inappropriate and several times seemed to be trying to grab focus away from the actual film, especially early on when the characters were being introduced. Overall, it was OK. I've seen worse, but I've definitely seen much better. This will go down in history as a film that didn't go down in history.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I thought it was good. Not amazing, but certainly not bad. Yeah, there are superfluous characters, the lighting is terrible and you gotta love those PG-13 bloodless gunshot deaths, but I'd still say it's worth seeing. Solid B.

Also, a DC movie where the main characters are fighting VILLAINS and not causing property damage roughly equivalent to the GDP of the United States? What world am I in?!

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
I think it might've been better a as Netflix series. It almost feels like it had an interesting story and decent acting, that could've been built up and explored more as a mini-series, but got mutilated and cut up into a Spiderman 3 rush-job in editing.