Superman/Batman Title Revealed, And It's Hilarious

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I don't understand, why is it so ridiculous? Dawn of Justice sounds fine to me, especially if this is supposed to be a lead in to the Justice League movie. Or is it the fact that it's Superman v Batman instead of Superman versus Batman which is just a longer way of saying the exact same thing?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
If they were smart, they'd call it "Batman VS Superman: Please come see this, so we can fund the Justice League movie we deny wanting to make but know it's the only way to make a blockbuster DC comics movie".

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
Covarr said:
Here's an idea. Why not just Dawn of Justice? Ditch the "Batman v Superman" part. It's stupid. But the subtitle would make a fine title by itself.

P.S. Thanks
Batman v Superman generates interest, because people like Batman, and people like Superman (but people like Batman more, which is why his name comes first), and Dawn of Justice makes it Googleable/Hashtaggable/etc, and teases the Justice League.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Can WB stop calling this the Man of Steel sequel? It clearly isn't anymore. Not only does Batman get top billing in Superman's sequel, but the Dawn of Justice couldn't be referencing the Justice League any harder.
Its not a sequel anymore, its just a damn lead-in movie for a different movie down the road. Like Amazing Spiderman 2.

I also think its going to suffer from the exact same problems ASM:2 suffered from; a disjointed screenplay that tries too hard to squeeze in enough references and characters for an expanded movieverse in a few years.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
God damn. Every time I hear something about this movie, I think to myself "You know, this sounds terrible, but at least it can't get any worse", and every time I'm proven wrong.

What is Warner Bros on that drives them to keep making such terrible decisions?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Ok yeah, that's a pretty boring title. Not terrible, but just cliched.

Also:

No, no, no, no, no, NO! That Superman S needs to be darkened and desaturated more. It's still exuding too much joy, life and wonder. It needs dreary grimdark, because that worked so well for Batman. Make it grey. And smaller.

In fact, WB, let's leave out the S altogether and just make another Batman movie. You know you want to.

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
I mean, I get that this is supposed to be a reference to the Justice League but... yeah, um... yeah. Nice title.

Well it's great that we get to see an all powerful alien being go up against an orphan in a cape that will inevitably be artificially skewed in Batman's favour because DC knows the only thing keeping them anywhere Marvel's popularity in the film industry are those Nolan films.

LoathsomePete said:
I would applaud WB so hard if this turned out to be a fake out and the promise of a high octane superhero brawl turns out to be a 2 hour courtroom drama where Batman plays the prosecuting attorney against Superman for the damages to Metropolis and Smallville in Man of Steel.
I would pay so much money to see that.

Mike Pothier

Dec 14, 2012
I just can't muster up the outrage so many fanboys are now showing. Its overshadowed by the fact that WE ARE FINALLY GOING TO SEE SUPERMAN AND BATMAN IN THE SAME FILM.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Not the end of the world, but I think I liked HISHE's proposed movie titles more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B96ctffVp8

OniYouji

Jan 4, 2011
That subtitle sounds more appropriate for an Ace Attorney game than Superman vs. Batman.

Really, it wouldn't be too bad of a title if they kept the "s" in "vs.". Just having it be a "v" really does make it look like a court case more than a duel.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
"Dawn of Justice" is a workable title but are they seriously going to have Batman V Superman in there as well. Surely the whole film isn't going to be that?

Jan 12, 2012
Hagi said:
Just curious, but what exactly would qualify as a good title?

Maybe it's me lacking in creativity but considering you've only got a few words max there doesn't seem much to work with and just leaving out the addition doesn't really sound any less generic to me.

Dawn of Justice seems about as good as any sensible combination of three words is going to get.
The full title sounds silly, I personally don't know why they chose 'v' over 'vs.' I agree that Dawn of Justice doesn't sound awful, but Scarim Coral in this very thread pointed out that "The World's Finest" sounds better: A touch melodramatic, maybe, but with obvious allusions to classic comics to make fans happy, and bit of pulpy bravado that works well in a movie about superheroes.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
DTWolfwood said:
So this is suppose to be sequel to SUPERMAN right? cause from the title and art, id mistake this for a Batman movie where Superman shows up as a cameo <.<
All DC movies are required by law to be about Batman somehow. And half of all Batman things must be about Joker.

Why not drop your suggestions for alternate titles in comments.
Batman v Superman: Batman Will Win
Batman v Superman: Good Enough I Guess
Batman v Superman: Please Don't Watch Avengers 2
Superman v Batman: Only Kidding, Batman Is More Important

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Hagi said:
Just curious, but what exactly would qualify as a good title?

Maybe it's me lacking in creativity but considering you've only got a few words max there doesn't seem much to work with and just leaving out the addition doesn't really sound any less generic to me.

Dawn of Justice seems about as good as any sensible combination of three words is going to get.
The full title sounds silly, I personally don't know why they chose 'v' over 'vs.' I agree that Dawn of Justice doesn't sound awful, but Scarim Coral in this very thread pointed out that "The World's Finest" sounds better: A touch melodramatic, maybe, but with obvious allusions to classic comics to make fans happy, and bit of pulpy bravado that works well in a movie about superheroes.
The World's Finest on it's own sounds cool, but it sounds like a contradiction with the whole v/vs thing.

Batman and Superman: The World's Finest <- makes sense and sounds cool.
Batman vs Superman: The World's Finest <- does not make sense and thus sounds somewhat awkward.

As for the whole v or vs, I don't know why you would pick either one over the other, they seem fairly identical to me. Seems about as important as whose name comes first, whatever you pick it still means exactly the same.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Superman v Batman : Underwear Perverts

Because Marvel and DC trademarked the word 'Superhero'* and this is the only reasonable response per Warren Ellis**.

WaltIsFrozen said:
Reminds me of this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwL8wlBMflA
oh gosh. That you for sharing that, I had never seen it and am now wonderously enriched.

Scarim Coral said:
Err I wouldn't take Batman to be a dawn person. Couldn't they went with an actual comicbook title like "The World's Finest" or couldn't used that for legal reason?
World's Finest would've been a heck of a nice callback.

* http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&old=1&id=6992

** I swear it was him who called them this. if I'm wrong, please correct me.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
WaltIsFrozen said:
Reminds me of this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwL8wlBMflA
XD Thank you, good sir, for this joyous gift! You have just made my day.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Zontar said:
But that is just the worst title I can even think of. Even just "Batman vs Superman" would have been better.
Yeah. The subtitle just feels like it's trying so hard to be epic, when in reality it's just really, really kinda meh. Here's hoping that the film actually ends up as fun as the Dark Knight trilogy (or at least as visually appealing as Man of Steel), because honestly these two deserve at least a relatively watchable and fun movie.

Scarim Coral said:
Couldn't they went with an actual comicbook title like "The World's Finest" or couldn't used that for legal reason?
that would have been good too.