Superman/Batman Title Revealed, And It's Hilarious

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Huh. A pretty typical movie title, especially for a super hero flick. Isn't that kind of like complaining about the heroes wearing capes and gaudy costumes? I'm not a comic fan, but isn't that kind of title to be expected? Hell, from my vaguest of knowledge about the DC universe, I'd assume that "Justice" perhaps refers to the Justice League or something. So if this movie is about founding that organisation, it's not even that bad a title.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I dunno, that title's not bad. It's the Dawn of (the) Justice (League). Batman and Superman will probably be at odds until the inevitable team-up. Makes sense to me. This and the batmobile are probably the most promising things I've seen about this movie. Maybe this won't be as big of a disaster as I've been expecting.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
I want to laugh, but it's not funny enough. I'd be disappointed but I don't care enough. I'd mock it but it's doing a fine job of that by itself. I'm just... kinda bemused by the whole affair. What the heck is WB/DC doing? I just don't get it...

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
Nah, you're all reading it wrong. It's a Roman numeral. It's actually Batman 5: Superman, Dawn of Justice.

See, the plan is to retcon Man of Steel to Batman IV: Superman's Sole Moment in the Spotlight. They're going to pull a George Lucas and add in a bunch of scenes, mainly of Batman watching from a distance, scowling at the mayhem, before frowning sadly at the resolution, and retreating to the batcave to compile all the data he gathered on this bothersome alien.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Spaceman Spiff said:
I dunno, that title's not bad. It's the Dawn of (the) Justice (League).
That's precisely why I don't like it. Too *wink* *wink* *nod* do you get it? It's just a little too on the nose.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
You know what the real problem is here? Its that they are clearly TRYING to get in on all that sweet Marvel/Avengers money, and not just organically doing their own thing. We can smell a cash-grab attempt a mile away, and it just paints your efforts in a negative light, regardless of how good the product turns out.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
This is the one I wanted:

Way to disappoint us with a horrible logo and a worse title, WB.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Dawn of Justice sounds a little cheesy but it could work although I think that Worlds finest would have been better. Having Batman V Superman first dosen't work, at least for me anyway. But as much as I hated Man of Steel I really am trying not to judge the movie until it is out and I have seen it (although I will not at the cinema).

And I know this joke has been done to death but I have to post it because it is the first thing that poped into my head when I read the title.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Dawn of the Justice league.... Ambitious to say the least.

I feel like I am hanging out with my two friends Marvel and DC down at the park. Marvel has just done this awesome little run and jump over the sharp railings by park's entrance. He makes it look cool, lands well and gives a little humble bow as the girls clap, impressed. Then my friend DC says he can do that with less of a run up after eating a pizza and wearing a full length leather trenchcoat. And insists it will have the same effect because he did a really cool jump over a fence back in summer camp 2 years ago even though he breathes heavy getting out of bed.

As a friend I want to stop him and say there is no point, Marvel did it before and made it look easy. And those cute girls won't be impressed by the same trick. That he is in huge risk of hurting himself and making himself look dumb for absolutely no reason. But deep down, after the way he has treated you, and his refusal to let Marvel have his little moment without trying to steal the spotlight. The arrogance and pig headedness. Part of you, the bitter part of your heart, as much as you love him. Wants to see his coat get caught in that railing and see him smash his face off the fucking ground and make his teeth fly everywhere like a dropped mug.

Just to teach him a lesson...

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Dawn of Justice? Wow, could this be a subtle link to Justice League? lol. This film has fail written all over it. To me it is WB want a successful movie to Superman, so they add Batman to it because they have zero faith in the DC characters. They will add the JL characters in cameos to set up a JL movie. Sorry but they are using BvS to do a million things. Its an official Superman sequel yet he is second billing to Batman......shouldnt it be SvB? They are making the same mistakes as the Superman "gotta make a universe" movie.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Reminds me of AvP: Requiem.

BvS: DoJ. Just rolls off the tongue.

Personally, I'd like to see "Batman v Superman: Cameo of Wonder Woman" as the title.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Chimpzy said:
Ok yeah, that's a pretty boring title. Not terrible, but just cliched.

Also:

No, no, no, no, no, NO! That Superman S needs to be darkened and desaturated more. It's still exuding too much joy, life and wonder. It needs dreary grimdark, because that worked so well for Batman. Make it grey. And smaller.

In fact, WB, let's leave out the S altogether and just make another Batman movie. You know you want to.
Did you not see the leaked photo of Henry Caville's new Superman costume? All the colors have been brightened. Seriously save for just one or two design tweaks the only major change is the color in that the red is actually red, the yellow is more pronounced, and the blue looks like it was pulled from Superman the Animated series.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
You know I actually find it intriguing that this is the very first thing in this whole production that has got me shaking my head. Yeah. Ben didn't bother me. Jesse didn't, Gal after actually looking at what she's done has me less worried, Zack really is a good director and the concept of it all seems great. Plus the two costume reveals actually look pretty damn good. Possibly the best live action versions of either of these character's costumes to date. Besides it could change. The title could always change. All in all this is the only concerning thing I've seen so far. I'm really looking forward to this movie. A part from the title it actually is shaping up to be good from what little we've seen.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Thunderous Cacophony said:
The full title sounds silly, I personally don't know why they chose 'v' over 'vs.' I agree that Dawn of Justice doesn't sound awful, but Scarim Coral in this very thread pointed out that "The World's Finest" sounds better: A touch melodramatic, maybe, but with obvious allusions to classic comics to make fans happy, and bit of pulpy bravado that works well in a movie about superheroes.
We can't have that. Everyone knows that you can't have pulpy bravado or campy fun in a superhero movie. Absolutely not. All superheroes must be about dour men in black tights moping about while they brood their enemies into submission. There's no other way.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Olas said:
I don't understand, why is it so ridiculous?
Because it's a DC property, and this is a site filled to the brim with Marvel fanboys.

So any excuse to mock a DC mo...well, anything really...is excuse enough to call it 'hilarious'.[footnote]And don't anyone, even for a second, think that I'm defending DC. That's the last thing I want to do. Gods know they've done some incredibly stupid things over the years. But I'll still call a bias when I see it.[/footnote]

Is it a stupid title? Yes, to a degree. But hilariously stupid? I just don't see it.

Dawn of Justice sounds fine to me, especially if this is supposed to be a lead in to the Justice League movie. Or is it the fact that it's Superman v Batman instead of Superman versus Batman which is just a longer way of saying the exact same thing?
I think it was an aesthetic choice. The lowercase V probably looked better in that logo design than a 'vs'.

Doesn't really make it better, but I think I get why they went with that look.

Not that I particularly like their choice. But I at least understand why they chose it. I could be wrong, though. Maybe they chose that title beforehand.

Thunderous Cacophony said:
The full title sounds silly, I personally don't know why they chose 'v' over 'vs.'
Like I said above, I think it was an aesthetic look for the logo and poster. Can't really speak on how wise of an idea it was, but I'm convinced that was the sole reason.

I agree that Dawn of Justice doesn't sound awful, but Scarim Coral in this very thread pointed out that "The World's Finest" sounds better: A touch melodramatic, maybe, but with obvious allusions to classic comics to make fans happy, and bit of pulpy bravado that works well in a movie about superheroes.
I also feel like "The World's Finest" would make for a better title. But with that title almost no one within the movie-going public, outside of the already existent core-fandom for the comics, would understand that this movie was intended as a lead up to a Justice League film.

'Course, most won't realize that with the current title anyway, so...

Maybe it's a moot point, regardless.

:/

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Superman is in this? v Batman is cool: We couldn't think of a title"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Couldn't_Think_of_a_Title
Be sure to check out the song "BEER!" ! :D

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Oh God! There is so much fail to cover...

First off, kudos to Ross Lincoln for poking fun at this title. However, I doubt this would go to the supreme court. Something like this would be settled in The People's Court. BTW, I will offer an exclusive Escapist No-Prize for anyone who remembers that show.

Second, lets take a closer look at the title and the logo for this upcoming train wreck:

It's safe to say that DC Comics/Warner Bros has lost any right to call this a Man of Steel sequel now that Batman is getting top billing. Way to show faith in one of greatest icons in pop culture and comic book history by having him play second banana to your over-milked cash cow, guys. This will definitely make Henry Cavill want to come back for more of this crap.

If that wasn't apparent enough, take a closer look at the merged logo. The Superman "S" shield is now being slowly devoured by the Frank Miller Batman symbol. Any traces of red and gold/yellow in the S is fading away in the black (and sometimes dark gray) void of the Dark Knight. Not only can this be seen as one hero overshadowing the other, but its also a metaphor for the all-consuming "dark, grim, & gritty" trend that DC/WB continue to worship in an obscene manner. Even though it is the 14th year of the 21st century and not the 1990s, these two companies continue to beat this dead horse despite said horse is now completely decomposed and has very little substance to beat.

Going back to the title, there seems to be something missing. What could it be? If you guessed Wonder Woman, give yourself a cookie. Since Gal Gadot is portraying the amazon princess, shouldn't she be in the title as well? Shouldn't this be called something on the lines of "Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: World's Finest" or perhaps "The World's Finest"? Well, if you look at the second paragraph of the press release, we find out that Wonder Woman, DC's iconic super-heroine and a long-time staple of female characters, has been placed among the supporting cast.

Yeah!

Talk about getting the short end of the stick. Not only does this show an utter lack of respect to Wonder Woman and to her fans, but the fact that she's only a supporting character just shows how fucking slapdash the production of this movie truly is. Her inclusion is not part of a master plan to bring together three of the greatest heroes of all time. This is merely piss-poor pandering to the fans and moviegoers they desperately need to keep this ship afloat.

I'd also like to point out that, in the credits to the creators behind these characters, Bill Finger, co-creator of Batman and his entire universe (Robin, the Bat Cave, etc), is left out of this. Because DC Comics still thinks Bob Kane, one of the biggest douche-bags to ever exist in the comic book industry, is the sole creator of Batman. And this is just after they explained to the press that they've smoothed things over with Bill Finger's family despite the fact that the family is saying otherwise.

Hey, DC! In support of Bill Finger's family, here are two fingers just for you(NSFW).

And just to put the cyanide-laced cherry on top of this shit sundae, here is an online article from The Mary Sue that shows just how much of a clueless and disrespectful cocksucker David S Goyer really is.

http://www.themarysue.com/david-goyer-calls-she-hulk-sex-fantasy/

OK! Now I seriously want to go to this year's San Diego Comic Con, price of admission be damned! The only reason I would go is to attend the Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (yep, still sounds stupid) panel, march on stage with a baseball bat, and proceed to beat the shit out of Zack Snyder and David S Goyer.

*sigh*

To be honest, part of me wants to see a crossover movie with Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman work. Unfortunately, its in the hands of the most socially-retarded pack of jack-offs ever to be shit out of Hollywood. Now all I want is to see this movie fail and fail hard, if only to teach these moronic bastards a lesson.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
KazeAizen said:
Chimpzy said:
Ok yeah, that's a pretty boring title. Not terrible, but just cliched.

Also:

No, no, no, no, no, NO! That Superman S needs to be darkened and desaturated more. It's still exuding too much joy, life and wonder. It needs dreary grimdark, because that worked so well for Batman. Make it grey. And smaller.

In fact, WB, let's leave out the S altogether and just make another Batman movie. You know you want to.
Did you not see the leaked photo of Henry Caville's new Superman costume? All the colors have been brightened. Seriously save for just one or two design tweaks the only major change is the color in that the red is actually red, the yellow is more pronounced, and the blue looks like it was pulled from Superman the Animated series.
New photo?! Where the hell is that photo at? I've heard jack and/or squat about that bit of news.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Olas said:
I don't understand, why is it so ridiculous? Dawn of Justice sounds fine to me, especially if this is supposed to be a lead in to the Justice League movie. Or is it the fact that it's Superman v Batman instead of Superman versus Batman which is just a longer way of saying the exact same thing?
It's an age thing if you think it's funny. Older or Politically aware will see it as ether funny or ridiculous. Here is why.

Batman v Superman

What immediatly comes to some peoples minds.
Bush v Gore
Roe v Wade
Marbury v Madison
Plessy v Ferguson

It might be a simple abbreviation of Verses but so is vs. v is typically a legal abbreviation and makes it seem like Batman is pressing charges against Superman. Dawn of Justice doesn't help. By itself it would be fine, but with BvS it still seems like the trial of Superman. Which unless it's Hustler Magazine v Falwell a court case sounds boring.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
medv4380 said:
Olas said:
I don't understand, why is it so ridiculous? Dawn of Justice sounds fine to me, especially if this is supposed to be a lead in to the Justice League movie. Or is it the fact that it's Superman v Batman instead of Superman versus Batman which is just a longer way of saying the exact same thing?
It's an age thing if you think it's funny. Older or Politically aware will see it as ether funny or ridiculous. Here is why.

Batman v Superman

What immediatly comes to some peoples minds.
Bush v Gore
Roe v Wade
Marbury v Madison
Plessy v Ferguson

It might be a simple abbreviation of Verses but so is vs. v is typically a legal abbreviation and makes it seem like Batman is pressing charges against Superman. Dawn of Justice doesn't help. By itself it would be fine, but with BvS it still seems like the trial of Superman. Which unless it's Hustler Magazine v Falwell a court case sounds boring.
Fair enough, I'd say there's a pretty good chance it'll be quietly changed to "Batman vs Superman" before the movie comes out. With all this being said, I would totally go see a movie about superheroes fighting one another in court, it sounds hilarious.