Superman Quits America, Fox News Readers Take the News Badly

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010
Oh god the comments.

"I CAN RUIN THIS COUNTRY IF I WANT! YOU DON'T GET TO DISLIKE IT YOU ^$(^ING $%&%S!"

The best part is the comments were so insightful into the scumminess of the readership that they closed comments to conceal their shame.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I like this, I really do. I don't read comics, haven't got the patience or money to collect them and remember everything, but this is good. I like it. I hadn't even realised Superman was a US citizen. It would be funny to be standing behind him in line when he has to renew his passport.

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
BabyRaptor said:
theApoc said:
And I am sorry, but most of the people who post on the boards don't know enough about anything going on in the media to comment on FOX, CNN or any news outlet and be taken even a little bit seriously.
Including you, apparently. Obviously you don't watch anything but Fox, or you'd know that there's no such thing as the "Liberal media." Most of the news channels out there take everything Fox says and run with it in an attempt to get ratings.

Seriously. Detach from the bias and actually listen once in awhile.
Now that is just funny. "No such thing as the 'Liberal Media'", thanks I needed a laugh.

DeepwellBridge

Mar 17, 2011
I'm a conservative who listens to Rush Limbaugh on occasion... and I don't see anything wrong with this. It makes perfect since for an alien with super powers and a good heart to go all over the world and help others. Perfectly fine with me. Superman isn't America. He is the embodiment of a true paladin, a symbol of Justice and truth.

America has also been at times, a symbol of justice and truth. But it sure isn't perfect! So a perfect symbol of justice and truth leaving an imperfect symbol of justice and truth is fine by me.... As far as the USA is concerned were doing pretty darn good. Superman should concern himself with other things, you know like ethnic cleansing (I would love to read a comic where he goes and demolishes the armies of a few African warlords) and solving world hunger.

Watchmen handled this conundrum best. SPOILERS!!!! Dr. Manhattan simply got tired of being a tool and so left the planet all together.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Many readers are upset with the story, which they perceive to be an effort by left-leaning writers to push their agenda, using Superman as a platform.
Then again, they say that about anything and everything else.
Birds fly. Fish swim. Righties whine about the liberal conspiracies in their morning coffee.
It's just a part of life now.

theApoc said:
BabyRaptor said:
theApoc said:
And I am sorry, but most of the people who post on the boards don't know enough about anything going on in the media to comment on FOX, CNN or any news outlet and be taken even a little bit seriously.
Including you, apparently. Obviously you don't watch anything but Fox, or you'd know that there's no such thing as the "Liberal media." Most of the news channels out there take everything Fox says and run with it in an attempt to get ratings.

Now that is just funny. "No such thing as the 'Liberal Media'", thanks I needed a laugh.
This guy, for instance, takes the tired and true argument of "I laugh derisively at your statement, because anything else would require me to elaborate, upon which I would only go into an emotional tizzy and make a fool of myself. Conversation frightens me."
As with America-hating Euros, this is tolerated and even encouraged at The Escapist, because every opinion is valid and everyone deserves a trophy. Else someone's feelings might get hurt.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Shirokurou said:
It's not like he's Captain America to have that be an important move.
Basically he's saying he's out of politics and out to help the world.
Fox and Friends cried when Captain America died too. When you get invested in symbols and slogans the way they do, deaths of fictional characters is worse than, well... deaths of real people that exist.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
Evilsanta said:
...Wow, A FOX article that isn't complte BS and lies? I am impressed. Though the comments are just so funny that is sad.
Rush Limbaugh was even quoted as saying "God bless President Obama" today, this is it folks, grab your ankles and say goodbye to your asses, the world is ending any second now.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
joebear15 said:
mr_rubino said:
Many readers are upset with the story, which they perceive to be an effort by left-leaning writers to push their agenda, using Superman as a platform.
Then again, they say that about anything and everything else.
Birds fly. Fish swim. Righties whine about the liberal conspiracies in their morning coffee.
It's just a part of life now.

theApoc said:
BabyRaptor said:
theApoc said:

This guy, for instance, takes the tired and true argument of "I laugh derisively at your statement, because anything else would require me to elaborate, upon which I would only go into an emotional tizzy and make a fool of myself. Conversation frightens me."
As with America-hating Euros, this is tolerated and even encouraged at The Escapist, because every opinion is valid and everyone deserves a trophy. Else someone's feelings might get hurt.
the fact that you are tring to incert political relivence into a coloney of valve fanboys tells me quite a bit.
I'm sure it does, just as sure as I doubt you can articulate what that is.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ehhh without taking about the Fox bit, this was a pretty dumb move by DC
oh I mean Superman going out to the rest of the world part is pretty cool actually, but I couldn't but feel the way they did it was just asking for some controversy-born attention

ah well, not that I read these comics anyway :p just wait for the movies (with the exception being Marvel with the X-Men once in a while)

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
mr_rubino said:
Shirokurou said:
Fox and Friends cried when Captain America died too. When you get invested in symbols and slogans the way they do, deaths of fictional characters is worse than, well... deaths of real people that exist.
Still, if you misinterpret the symbol, it's authors and creators can remind you what it means. Or how it's meaning changed over time.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
HankMan said:
Well you didn't need X-ray vision to see that backlash coming.
I guess Superman's REAL kryptonite is patriotism.
ZING!

It is funny though that a character that was technically never the posterboy for the USA, is seen as THE American superhero.
Captain America is much more patriotic and American for people to rally behind.
Besides, I've seen Superman in so many different settings, saving so many different things, that I just figured he was the posterboy superhero for Earth. I'd be butthert if he abandoned Earth like the US =|
To me, Superman's American-ness just seems to be like "Oh, Superman, the Man of Steel, who is super badass and awesome... is American :D" and not "He is OUR hero! Fuck off!".

^ All that ignoring the fact that he's not abandoning the US at all, just increasing his range.
U mad America?

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Shirokurou said:
mr_rubino said:
Shirokurou said:
Still, if you misinterpret the symbol, it's authors and creators can remind you what it means. Or how it's meaning changed over time.
That would require listening to other viewpoints. Also, as stated, the comic book industry has been "liberal" (i.e. that undefined, amorphous mass they've been told they're supposed to hate) since about 755 BC, meaning they would have to face reality. That's like a twofer.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
i wonder if they ever covered the elseworld esque story of Red Son, though i suppose its not quite as controversial as this is supposed to seem

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
mr_rubino said:
Shirokurou said:
mr_rubino said:
Shirokurou said:
That would require listening to other viewpoints. Also, as stated, the comic book industry has been "liberal" (i.e. that undefined, amorphous mass they've been told they're supposed to hate) since about 755 BC, meaning they would have to face reality. That's like a twofer.
Neither America, nor comics (in the modern sense) are that old. So what were you referring to?