Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade; states can ban abortion

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
They definitely want to kill her in order to stick it to the critics of their draconian policies.
If the law says no abortions without exceptional medical need and bearing the doomed child has health implications for the mother that are not significantly worse than pregnancy with a healthy fetus, then the judges' reasoning is potentially sound.

The problem here is not the judges (although I'd warrant Texas judges probably tend to be sympathetic to conservative causes), but the legislators and the shitty law they passed. I think there is a strong rationale that we should not always rely on judges to bail us out from the terrible laws that governments pass, because politicians need to be held accountable for shit laws.

Reactions: Satinavian

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
If the law says no abortions without exceptional medical need and bearing the doomed child has health implications for the mother that are not significantly worse than pregnancy with a healthy fetus, then the judges' reasoning is potentially sound.

The problem here is not the judges (although I'd warrant Texas judges probably tend to be sympathetic to conservative causes), but the legislators and the shitty law they passed. I think there is a strong rationale that we should not always rely on judges to bail us out from the terrible laws that governments pass, because politicians need to be held accountable for shit laws.
I'm really not sure about that. If the fetus is already dead and if delivering it is an outright danger to the mother then what more could possibly be required for it to classify as a medical need. The abortion was also already granted before the Texas supreme court intervened out of ideological rather than legal motives.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I'm really not sure about that. If the fetus is already dead and if delivering it is an outright danger to the mother then what more could possibly be required for it to classify as a medical need. The abortion was also already granted before the Texas supreme court intervened out of ideological rather than legal motives.
As a basic premise, abortion is banned in Texas except with an exception granted by the courts. When the woman won that exception in the courts, the Texas AG (Ken Paxton, wanker extraordinaire) referred the case to the Texas Supreme Court. This seems to me like standard procedure.

The fetus is surely not currently dead. If it were, I seriously doubt there would be a legal issue because it would probably not meet the definition of abortion that the law proscribes.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
If the fetus is already dead and if delivering it is an outright danger to the mother then what more could possibly be required for it to classify as a medical need.
The fetus is surely not currently dead. If it were, I seriously doubt there would be a legal issue because it would probably not meet the definition of abortion that the law proscribes.
The fetus is not currently dead, but has trisomy 18, which means it is highly unlikely to survive. Delivery poses a high risk to Cox's life or fertility according to doctors.

Doctors have also said that if the fetus were to die, they could induce labour but even then couldn't perform a dilation & evacuation, because the vagueness of Texas law would put them in danger. Inducing labour is a more dangerous procedure for Cox due to past C-Sections.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It takes a special kind of evil to help somebody through the worst moments of their life and then call the cops on them over bullshit

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
With the Roe v. Wade overturned, an Alabama amendment made in 2018 had the Supreme Court rule that embryos out of the uterus are living children, effectively halting fertilization clinics in the state from operating without risk of lawsuit or criminal charges.

So which is, Alabama? Do you want more couples to have children or not?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It's fascinating how the Republican position has become "people who don't want kids should be FORCED to have them, and people who want kids shouldn't be allowed to have any."

And this is somehow the family values party.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Or maybe morality isn't consequentialist.
Enforcing "morals" without any thought to the consequences is evil.

It's fascinating how the Republican position has become "people who don't want kids should be FORCED to have them, and people who want kids shouldn't be allowed to have any."
They're an entire political party of punishment fetishists.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Morality without any consequentialism is nothing but "good intentions", and we already know which road is paved with them...
I mean, if you want to have a battle of aphorisms, you're arguing for "the ends justify the means".
With the caveat "if you can't reach your goals without killing people" attached to both halves of that. It's only advocates of abortion that pretend the pro-life position is a lie and it has nothing to do with killing being a problem. "Stop killing people to optimize your personal life" is pretty consistent across both options, you shouldn't struggle to understand it's not a contradiction.