Survey Says Women Prefer Games Over Sex

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
I've heard just about everything that has every existed be described or labled as being more popular with women than sex

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
Survey Says Women Prefer Games Over Sex

Hey stud, Mario is giving your lady more pleasure than you are. Doritos says so.

Like a nacho cheese-flavored Richard Dawson, Doritos recently polled 2,052 people and discovered that the ladies apparently prefer game time over sexy time.

MCV reports:

The survey of 2,052 people was commissioned by Doritos and found that 49 per cent of women play online games, almost matching the 50 per cent of men that game online.

Of these female online gamers, 84 per cent said they enjoy their gaming sessions, compared to just 70 per cent who enjoy sex. 62 per cent enjoy working out, 71 per cent enjoy shopping and 75 per cent enjoy having a bath.

Additionally, the survey found that of the average 3.5 hours the participants spent online each week, those of the feminine persuausion dedicated 23.1 percent of their time to interactive gaming, while the burly male types found themselves gaming only 22.3 percent of the time.

Alright, look, I'm going to level with you guys: Even forgetting that this survey was conducted by a company most famous for clogging keyboards worldwide with greasy orange dust, this entire thing is meaningless.

84 percent of women enjoy gaming, while only 70 percent enjoy sex? I don't see a correlation between the two data points. I see an entertainment industry segment designed to be, at best, wildly entertaining (and at worst, completely inoffensive) succeeding at its goal, while the act of male/female coitus is exactly as awkward, baffling and confusingly unerotic as it has been since Adam first asked Eve if she wanted to see his "snake."

Of course, a headline like "games are rad, sex is pretty confusing for most people" wouldn't do much for the Doritos PR wonks, so the company explicitly focused on the most salacious data point it could find.

Remember kids: Sex sells, but questioning the virility of your stupid male audience will have you swimming through a Scrooge McDuckian money vault by the end of the week.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/women-love-gaming-more-than-sex#after-ad]

Doritos apparently forgot to factor-in the cultural bias by which women who admit to enjoy having orgasm are automatically labeled as Nymphomaniacs :(
I mean Seriously, of course they're going to be more open-minded about playing Video Games as opposed to having Sex. Plus, nowadays there are all sorts of Games that specifically target the Female demographic. Gaia Online is one such MMO which appeals to the female gamers demographic simply by being social-oriented rather than action-oriented; i.e. rather than kill mobs for gold to buy better weapons to kill more mobs with, you earn gold simply by playing, performing simple tasks or completing minigames such a fishing, so you can then buy more more fashion-accessories and clothes for your avatar to show-off in.
And if that doesn't sound like a lot of fun to you, then it's because your Testosterone levels are significantly higher than your Estrogen.

Heck! If anything, this shows that the stigma of being labeled a Gamer is slowly fading as the Video Games market expands to encompass an ever-increasing audience. Personally, I tend to see this as a good thing :)

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
Well I can only satisfy one woman at a time without her getting pissed
Games can satisfy more than one at a time :p

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
This must be one of the stupidest things iv heard. There is no way Im going to believe that. The survey was either flawed or doctored. Obviously Doritos is just trying to achieve some alterior motive.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
W£hat this survey really means is:

Women prefer (their favourite thing to do) over sex.

Unless they're absolutely obsessed with sex, that's going to be true. Doesn't mean they're not going to enjoy and want sex, just means it's not their number one priority.

OF course, as mentioned above, there's also the social stigma that women who shamefully admit to enjoying sex are satanic harlots and should be sent to a convent immediate- I mean a lot of fun.

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
Of these female online gamers, 84 per cent said they enjoy their gaming sessions, compared to just 70 per cent who enjoy sex.
this is completely meaningless. that's like saying 84% of male gamers enjoy their gaming session compared to just 70% who enjoy the beach.

without knowing anything about the polled sample, any statistic provided is clouded by the perception of the person evaluating the numbers.

no to mention that the pollster was Doritos. i don't know about anyone else, but when i am looking for relevant statistics on human behavior, my first thought isn't usually, "Hey, let's see what a major snack food producer has to say about that."

unrelated: now the captchas have me shilling for major corporations. FFS escapist, that is pretty damn sad.

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
I read this and I was thinking;

'That's incredible! This could mark an important turning point in human mentality! What great scientific authority could have... Doritos?'

Fuck it, never mind...

Sariteiya

Jun 10, 2011
Ah Doritos. The very best in scientific integrity.

That being said, You can game for hours, whereas sex? Ehhhh.

FuzzyRaccoon

Sep 4, 2010
Low Key said:
Forget all that sex vs. game stuff. The average time spent online a week is 3.5 hours? Casuals.
I disagree, I'm a college student that doesn't have enough time to play videogames very much. The hours they play aren't really well explained because we don't know their demographics.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Hmm, what's gonna win, something you can do while socially acceptably eating Doritos? or sex?

I think you'll find if you tear a bag open while she's bouncing up n down, she's gonna change her mind about you pretty quickly.

Nothing says 'damn you make me horny' like fingers covered in cheezy dust.

Sep 14, 2009
Atheist. said:
I'm curious to see the age groups surveyed. Also, two thousand people is a pretty small test group in the grand scheme of things.
this.

plus no offense, you know how many of those women are either stay at home moms who sit and game when they are bored or they are at work and do flash games and whatnot (not saying this isn't the same for males, just pointing this out) so gaming is often used as a easy single player past time, while sex..well that generally takes two to tango, unless your into using objects. ..

plus what correlation is there between those stats? they just surveryed if they "enjoyed" sex and if they "enjoyed" gaming, they didn't say which one they liked more and off hand, I would say I enjoy games more than I enjoy sex, as sex most of the time is a on the fly kind of thing when I get horny, not something I spend hours doing (good god my dick would be chafing for quite a long time..)

Sep 14, 2009
Clonekiller said:
Well, when you consider that only about 10 - 15% of women actually experience an orgasm during intercourse, it does kinda make sense. I mean, straight up fun does sound like more fun than getting all worked up only to reach a disappointing thud.
you know I would call bullshit on that stat, but I don't have any sources beyond myself and a few friends and I would say it depends on your sex drive/what turns you on really.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
n00beffect said:
Well, if it's sex with gamers, than I am not surprised.
Well, if it's sex with games, then I am not surprised.
Thus concludes my brief moment of superiority.

OT: Interesting headline, but useless content. The Escapist staff has taken up trolling, it seems.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Two words: Skewed poll.

Let's try using a REAL chunk of humanity next time.

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
The things that are wrong with this article, and by "article" I don't mean the source document, are many and whopping.

Not least:
-thanks for the assumption that all women are feminine and all men are burly. Unless you have more information about the Ss than you appear to, this is just more gender essentialism.

-thanks for the assumption that by "sex" all female participants were thinking only of male/female sex. Lesbian and bisexual Ss? Unpossible!

-thanks for the assumption that the only audience for the (admittedly silly) Doritos survey is male.

Couldn't you have made the point that the study implies that a representative sample of gaming women would choose games over sex if given that as options while the data prove nothing of the kind without the sexism and heterocentrism?

Low Key

May 7, 2009
FuzzySeduction said:
Low Key said:
Forget all that sex vs. game stuff. The average time spent online a week is 3.5 hours? Casuals.
I disagree, I'm a college student that doesn't have enough time to play videogames very much. The hours they play aren't really well explained because we don't know their demographics.
That was my (poor) attempt at sarcasm. It doesn't transfer well to text sometimes. But what I was referring to was time spent online in general, not necessarily for gaming.