Swearing and you

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I used to swear when I was 13 or 14 because a lot of my friends did but I quickly grew out of it and do a mind cringe everytime someone swears now, especially if its unnecessary. The only time I do swear is to play it for funnies, like a fake rage. But even then I rarely do it and hate it when others do for no reason.

Its even worse when people try to do it for emphasis I feel because swears just automatically baleet all emphasis or importance/drama in a sentence.

Leviathan_

Jan 2, 2009
I swear alot around people who dislike it, just to tease them.

Swearing is a great way to relieve stress and anger. swears are just words from a language anyways, I could swear at you right now in Dutch and you would probably not even know I was insulting you.

Sep 13, 2009
In addition to Stephen Fry, Lewis Black has the right view on swearing as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFr6P2BtE3k&feature=related

Virus0015

Dec 1, 2009
Swear words are part of our language, and most (if not all) of them used to be legitimate language. There are plenty of other words with which you can use to insult people, so why are those not frowned upon? I don't know where they got misinterpreted along the line, but the TRUTH really is there is nothing long with them. Using a "swear" word is no different to using a normal one, and unfortunately the puritans can't be bothered to find out that they are normal.

Please someone prove my logic wrong and point out to me why you view swearing to be bad (no I'm not enticing a fight, I want to know what other people think of my opinion).

Spiner909

Dec 3, 2009
"Rage is a hell of an anesthetic"-Zaeed.

It's true. Swearing is a fun way to relieve stress.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
D4zZ said:
Basically this I agree with this.
Yet another reason why Stephen Fry is awesome.

On Topic: Yeah, I swear all the time. Nobody I hang out with really gives a fuck anymore.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
I swear because I do.
I'm an adult, I'm rather well-read (at least in my own opinion) and I'm not above tossing out the word f*ck when I feel like it. It's just a word, and I find it (and it's ilk) are FAR more rewarding to utter when I drop, say, a 2,000lb pallet of rock salt on my foot accidentally at work.

A f*ck ton more rewarding than saying "Oh, that is vexing...".

*I would like to note that I swore substantially LESS before I started working 3rd shift. Being surrounded by rednecks, criminals and genetic defectives who curse every 3rd word rubs off on a person after a while...

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Nex-Falx said:
Why do people swear constantly? It's like people are trying to reach a record sometimes...

I'm 19 and I've never sworn (depending on what you consider a "swear", I guess).

I've never / don't feel the need for it. I don't have a problem with it. I just don't partake myself...

So, wtf people, what's up with all the swearing?!

(How much do you swear, and why do you swear period?)
I rarely swear, and I usually get really creative with them (eg Buddha's right buttock's or Christ on a Harley)

I only use a true swear if I'm really pissed, which is rare (I'm a lazy bastard, so things don't often cause me grief)

Above

Oct 3, 2009
i fucking swear my fucking ass of every fucking second *just kidding*

i usually swear to get a point across like say...

"that was a pile of SHIT!"

Nex-Falx

Dec 24, 2009
Disaster Button said:
I used to swear when I was 13 or 14 because a lot of my friends did but I quickly grew out of it and do a mind cringe everytime someone swears now, especially if its unnecessary. The only time I do swear is to play it for funnies, like a fake rage. But even then I rarely do it and hate it when others do for no reason.

Its even worse when people try to do it for emphasis I feel because swears just automatically baleet all emphasis or importance/drama in a sentence.
I've never seen anyone grow OUT of it... They always claim to grow INTO it... Interesting... I must go to the lab...
Baron Von Evil Satan said:
In addition to Stephen Fry, Lewis Black has the right view on swearing as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFr6P2BtE3k&feature=related
1.) Lewis Black is a god.
2.) He's one of the few comedians who would be missing something from his material if he stopped swearing. Ironically part of his act is BEING belligerent, so...

Haha

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I swear when i'm angry. Which means that, in every single lab session I have I am swearing a lot, especially when an experiment won't fucking cooperate.

Parallel Streaks

Jan 16, 2008
I swear to get a point across, or when it's really, really hilarious to do so. I also like varying my levels of swearing, such as using "************" in tandem with "gosh darn".

skylog

Nov 9, 2009
The South Park movie said it well: considering that there's so much other crap in the world, a few words are the least of our problems. And they are just words.

That said, I make it a point to never curse in front of my grandparents, and especially in front of kids. I hate it when I have to tell my friends to watch their mouths in around kids. I have some standards.

wsnipes

Dec 10, 2009
i swear all the time. mostly cuz ive been doing it since the 6th grade and its just something i cant help haha. it also adds emphasis to alot of shit i say

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
I use profanity as a means of extreme emphasis. Swearing will only have its power while the words are taboo. Ironically, when a society deems the words inappropriate, they give us reason to make use of them.

Rockatansky

Dec 21, 2009
I'm quietly spoken and perceived as a bit of a university ponce where I work, so it's always pleases me to see the shocked reaction that my hateful tirades of aggressive swearing get. I'm very generous with the the 'C' word too, just for good measure (can you get mod slapped for using it? I've never read it here). I do it just to see the looks on peoples faces.

I'm no misogynist or sexist but you can't beat calling a woman a 'fucking split-arse' if they're winding you up, it's a cast-iron guaranteed, show-stopping argument winner. Variations include the simplified 'you fucking split' or just 'you fucking spl'arse'.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
just when im angry, people that do it all the time do it to get attention, show they are cool or have a deeper problem.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
I swear quite a lot. One of my friends is very religious though, and then I try not to use 'goddammit', but 'fuck' instead. I am such a nice guy.

Schneizel

Apr 26, 2009
I have no irrational dislike of a handful of totally arbitrary words. They don't need a special designation or category, a "swear" is a word like any other. Fuck you prole cunts who can't think for yourselves. Grow the fuck up.