Sweden: Piracy Is Not A Religion

Kyouki1980

May 26, 2008
this isnt my name said:
Jabberwock xeno said:
Danik93 said:
Well.... Piracy is Illegal and I assume the files they where copying were copyright protected. and a religion that is about something illegal should not be allowed. The same reason why practicing old norse rituals are illegal (atleast the ones with human sacrifice)
But should it be illegal?

See, theres the issue.

What we have is essientaly the power to make somthing out of nothing. It takes 0 raw materials to make a digital book, movie, game, etc.

You have a limitless supply of these products. Why not share them? What if we could do this with food or water? would you still call it theft then?

At the same time, I undertsand that people put their time and money into these things, and they lose their sales like this.

This is one of the few issues where I am truly divided in my opinion.
How can you be divided ?
Games are aluxery. Developers make them in return for moneybecuase they are people too, they need it to survive, for families, etc.

You may say your not taking aything, but you are with holding money. t would be like paying a mechanic to fix your car, but not paying him, or havine a carpenter make something for you if you buy the wood.
It's not just games though. We're talking about the basic freedom of information as well. With the revelations in wikileaks has proved that that freedom is very important for holding those in power accountable for their actions yet that freedom is also in danger of disappearing because politicians don't want their dirty dealings being exposed. I wouldn't be surprised that in 20 years at most, freedom of speech laws would be watered down making it illegal to speak the truth and disseminate information which is of the public interest when a political body of any kind could be harmed by it.
A government serves it's people, not the other way around. And certainly not itself. Yet sadly thats not how it is these days. And this is the danger we face.

Stealthygamer

Apr 25, 2010
-Dragmire- said:
unrelated note: Is Sweden the country with the Jedi religion?
No that's New Zealand

OT: I was hoping for this to be about pastafarianism not illegal downloading

Kyouki1980

May 26, 2008
brazuca said:
Just like Scientology they need famous people to make it official!
Nah they did that with money. Grease the right palms in the US government and you can get anything you want. Including votes. Rather sickening.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
What a joke. Stupid made-up religion that means nothing except that the practitioners want to get away with something under the guise of 'faith'.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must visit my altar to Lords Asmodeus and Belphegor, for the 3rd of 4 mandated times today. *Crawls into bed.*

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I wish we would stop calling file-sharers pirates. As a native of Charleston, SC, I say there is only one true kind of pirate. And it happens to be the kind that held my city for ransom.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Sounds highly amusing.

Anything that'll help put focus on - and bring an end to - the unfair privileges religions enjoy over secular world views is fine by me. Sweden always had its share of ridiculously puritan laws (like when the legality of Dead or Alive: Dimensions was called into question), so making a fool out of the special and in regard to other world views discriminatory legal respect religion enjoys, by capitalizing on it for questionable gains, is just what's needed.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Stealthygamer said:
OT: I was hoping for this to be about pastafarianism not illegal downloading
Me too, man. Me too.

I was totally prepared to debate the old Pirate vs Ninja on a religious basis but instead I find filesharing Swedes.
This deception can not stand!

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Why are they being denied? They're fulfilling the same conditions as every other religion. I don't agree with their views but this is a violation of their rights within the context of Swedish law.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Jabberwock xeno said:
Danik93 said:
Well.... Piracy is Illegal and I assume the files they where copying were copyright protected. and a religion that is about something illegal should not be allowed. The same reason why practicing old norse rituals are illegal (atleast the ones with human sacrifice)
But should it be illegal?

See, theres the issue.

What we have is essientaly the power to make somthing out of nothing. It takes 0 raw materials to make a digital book, movie, game, etc.

You have a limitless supply of these products. Why not share them? What if we could do this with food or water? would you still call it theft then?

At the same time, I undertsand that people put their time and money into these things, and they lose their sales like this.

This is one of the few issues where I am truly divided in my opinion.
Except that it did cost materials to make it. Not the digital version, the actual version. If I wrote a song, I'm probably inclined to want to make money off of it. If I want to share it for free, then I will. If I want my hard work to be rewarded, then that's my decision. A bunch of people who have never created content in their life can make up all the justification they want for illegally downloading things that someone worked hard to create, but that doesn't make it right. If they want to download music and not pay for it, that's one thing. Moralizing and trying to make themselves look like the good guys is bullshit, though.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Akalabeth said:
-snip-
No it's not an awesome religion, and frankly it's an affront to people who actually believe in something worthwhile beyond self-serving criminal activity.
An affront to people who believe in something worthwhile... How so? What possible harm or insult does this make to other religions?

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Why is it that any thread involving religion ("false" religion or not) always turns into a shitstorm of huge proportions?

OT: I'm indifferent. The only problem I have with this is how my tax money is going to waste over stupid shit like this.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
RhombusHatesYou said:
DustyDrB said:
I wish we would stop calling file-sharers pirates. As a native of Charleston, SC, I say there is only one true kind of pirate. And it happens to be the kind that held my city for ransom.
The baseball team?
Nope. The Blackbeard kind.

Though the baseball team is run by crooks (they take revenue sharing money and don't even try to build a good team. Thanks to that, they are one of the most profitable teams in MLB despite not having a winning record in nearly 20 years).

Why yes, I do happen to be a massive baseball fan.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
oh thank god...i thought they meant the high seas swash buckleing piracy.
thats still a legally recognized religion right?