Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Turns Up the Heat

csoloist

Mar 27, 2009
Aaaargh, trying to seduce us with sexy remixes. Back foul temptress.

Gameplay excerpts seemed kinda meh though.

sgtleeemery

Mar 29, 2011
That looks an awful lot like Deus Ex: HR (the dude even has a trench coat).
Those were my initial thoughts too. Also, it doesn't look like it will be at all squad based, everything looked a lot brighter ane cleaner than the original, I think Syndicate may have lost it's identity a little.

Cat of Doom

Jan 6, 2011
EA always have this way of hyping me up early with cool trailers then making me wait months upon months until release (see mass effect 3, the old republic). For a shooter, this really stands out, but hell they could put syndicate on a side scroll text adventure and I would probs still buy it. One of my favorite old franchises. Wish I could say the same for x com.

Giftmacher

Jul 22, 2008
Well I thought at least it's got the original music... and then they screwed with that too. This may yet prove a hit, but older gamers like myself are going to have a hard time getting over the fact this really isn't Syndicate.

-Gift.

Mar 26, 2008
Aiddon said:
of course it probably won't suck, it's by Starbreeze for crying out loud. These guys know how to make smart, tightly-designed first-person titles.
Yeah, as much as I like to ***** that "it's not Syndicate", it's in good hands with Starbreeze. I thoroughly enjoyed The Darkness and Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I'm happy it is looking good but Sad that another Franchise has left the Strategy genre as you know its not going to come back again.

I like playing games with units and squads and tactics and having to make tough choices and Syndicate and XCOM were my favourite games on my old 486 just said that I wont get to play them with modern tech.

Thank god for frozen Synapse otherwise the strategic part of my brain would have shrivelled up by now

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ok, yeah, that looked pretty damn good. A bit too frenetic, but still good.

Never having played the original Syndicate games, I was never pissed off about the FPS reboot, but nor was I expecting anything noteworthy.

But this, this I can get interested in. Sure, it was rather drastically beaten to the punch by DE:HR but hey, "more DE:HR with a splash of Mirror's Edge" sounds pretty tasty to me.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
Ser Imp said:
Was I just put through the Persuadertron?
Haha i certainly was. That song was fucking epic! And i hate dub-step.

Also, more people should hire Brian Cox for voice acting.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Skrillex did the soundtrack?
Welp, guess I'm never playing this game.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
TheDooD said:
raankh said:
TheDooD said:
hazabaza1 said:
Fucking dubstep.
Otherwise it looks okay.
Skrillex isn't dubstep it's closer to industrial / house then anything. Dubstep has alot of bass and wub wub wub abuse.
* listens to the bass and wub wub wub abuse in said video *

Uh-huh?

I lack the distortion and tempo of industrial tech or house, not to mention the tech or house itself. This most definitely sounds like dubstep to me.
The track he used isn't suppose have a high tempo and dubstep is a D&B derivative of techno. This is closer to industrial then dubstep the hard bass isn't there.
Skrillex is dubstep and D&B has nothing at all to do with Techno, I have no idea what you're getting at.

Dubsetp evolved from breakbeat (or simply breaks) and I'm pretty sure must be related (now a days, anyways) to urban grime. In the early 2000's most people around here in the Toronto rave scene just called it "wobble". It was also widely thought of as sounding hilariously stupid; many DJ's would play it as a joke and then quickly cut to other music as if to say "haha, I'm not actually going to play wobble. Fooled you!"

Now it's the most popular form of electronica and I have to listen to "experts" on the internet talk about it all the damn time claiming that chase and status are amazing dubstep artists ignoring everything else they've made since 2003.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Ser Imp said:
Was I just put through the Persuadertron?
I wasn't. This looks good compared to the XCOM reboot, but I'm seeing a lot of spectacle and scripted events and not a lot of substance.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
looks like deus ex HR with a mix of mirrors edge. looks really good though, i have to admit, but was still hoping you would be in a group of 4.
if you still can covert civilians to follow you, then this game can carry the name "syndicate" otherwise, it does not.
but well, lets wait and see. my interest for this game is there atm. i keep an eye on it before i make a final decision.

individual11

Sep 6, 2010
vrbtny said:
Optimism increased. Still below zero.
Seconded. Wonder how much of what's shown is on rails or quicktimed? At least they kind of almost kept the soundtrack.

Wow, the FPS market is pretty oversaturated right now, isn't it?

I would have thought a Squad Based Realtime Action Strategy game would sell really well in this current market, but it seems the shareholders at major publishers want the 'sure' bet.

Get established 'classic' IP, create FPS because of mass marketability, take parts from successful titles around beginning of development, build hype by clever marketing, pay lip service to the fanbase of the original, release.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Okay. This looks like it might be a decent expansion on the Syndicate universe. And that dubstep remix of the original Syndicate Midi is balls-tightenly good.

But it's a shooter, just another shooter.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Ok, I feel dirty for liking that trailer. As long as you don't end up being a good guy, I'll buy it.

Khravv

Jun 8, 2011
Heck, I'll take a million Deus ex: HR look-alikes over a CoD-MW clone anyday.
Good visual setting, and if they're going to clone DX:HR, then I can hope they clone the mechanics too.
Better a clone of a good game, then yet another mindless CoD zombie.

That being said, it looks really good. It feels like a very different game set in the same sort of world as DX:HR. Which, they kinda are... both are your cyberpunk futures. But I gotta say... I ain't gonna complain if more games start looking like that. I like it.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
AC10 said:
TheDooD said:
raankh said:
TheDooD said:
hazabaza1 said:
Fucking dubstep.
Otherwise it looks okay.
Skrillex isn't dubstep it's closer to industrial / house then anything. Dubstep has alot of bass and wub wub wub abuse.
* listens to the bass and wub wub wub abuse in said video *

Uh-huh?

I lack the distortion and tempo of industrial tech or house, not to mention the tech or house itself. This most definitely sounds like dubstep to me.
The track he used isn't suppose have a high tempo and dubstep is a D&B derivative of techno. This is closer to industrial then dubstep the hard bass isn't there.
Skrillex is dubstep and D&B has nothing at all to do with Techno, I have no idea what you're getting at.

Dubsetp evolved from breakbeat (or simply breaks) and I'm pretty sure must be related (now a days, anyways) to urban grime. In the early 2000's most people around here in the Toronto rave scene just called it "wobble". It was also widely thought of as sounding hilariously stupid; many DJ's would play it as a joke and then quickly cut to other music as if to say "haha, I'm not actually going to play wobble. Fooled you!"

Now it's the most popular form of electronica and I have to listen to "experts" on the internet talk about it all the damn time claiming that chase and status are amazing dubstep artists ignoring everything else they've made since 2003.
AC10 I got you back covered here!