Syndicate Never Stood a Chance

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Scorpid said:
Ah the Lucas excuse. (My average product couldn't of been good, because of those blasted fans with their expectations!) If you honestly think it could never have been seen as good by the fans of the original then why bother doing it?
if you wanted to work on a dystopian cyber punk adventure in a FPS environment why not just make an entire new franchise instead of butchering an old one? Syndicate didn't have a patent on the Cyber punk setting... That's a weak excuse. Foreshame Starbreeze, I like you guys.

PS: I love how the picture with the article tells absolutely nothing about the game except it has bloom effect and is a FPS.
I chose that one specifically to highlight the insane amount of bloom the game uses.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Right. I didn't buy it because Starbreeze pumped out a lackluster FPS with some interesting Co-Op mechanics and laid off all their developers, I didn't buy it because I love some 9 year old computer game too much.(Which I only know the age of because of wikipedia.)

The Co-op demo was fantastic, and I loved it. It was everything I wanted Shadowrun to be. It's a pity that was pretty much all the game had going for it, though.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Anyone old enough to remember the original Syndicate properly would be left immediately uninterested, anyone young enough wouldn't even have that connection to what seems to be yet another generic, 5-10 hour shooter.

They dug their own grave.

Go back to making Riddick games, they were actually interesting (even if Dark Athena dragged on for about 3 hours too long).

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Reminds me of Wolfenstein, that reboot was pretty horrendous.
It was essentially a cyberpunked FPS and they slapped on a name of an old game, so it can sell better, causing the people blinded by nostalgia to purchase it.
I'm not surprised the game tanked, it was well deserved as well.
The only thing I liked was Skrillex's piece thats in the game, actually one of his best work.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Well, maybe the problem isn't fans "wildly high expectations," but the fact it was an extremely generic and very short FPS in a market flooded with other and better ones.

Besides, was there really high expectations for the game from the fans of the series, or anyone really? I thought this was a smaller version of the "Xcom" disaster, with fans raging at the complete destruction of the original gameplay mechanics and turning their beloved franchise into a standard FPS.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Well, I did call it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.315467.12818381]. If they'd just stuck to their guns and didn't do the whole obvious betrayal thing, it would've been much better.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
It's not doing well? Must be because it couldn't have lived up to expectations, it was doomed from the start - nothing could've been better than Bullfrog's Syndicate games.

ha

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
Syndicate suffered the same fate as Shadowrun. It used a brand that has a voracious and exacting fan base and didn't stay true to what made the source material so popular in the first place.

Syndicate (the Original) was a tactical game about squad management, Syndicate (the reboot?) was basically a good cooperative game in the vein of Borderlands using aesthetics that have been (unfairly or not) associated with Deus Ex: HR.

As another example, look at the two upcoming X-Com games - an FPS in production that has already been panned by fans and a reboot of the original game design that was announced some time after but has already garnered a great deal more excitement.

When you attempt to utilize a brand, you better make sure that your product lives up to the expectations of the fans that made the original product popular enough in the first place to have the sequel/reboot even get the "green light".

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Dexter111 said:
Yes, I'm sure making it too hard was the problem with the game, not... I don't know making it be nothing like... Syndicate?
He didn't say that was one of the problems. Reading comprehension #1 hard.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Look. Publishers. This isn't rocket science.

When you take a francise that is known for its gameplay and you reboot it to have nothing resembling the gameplay it was known for people who were fans of the gameplay aren't going to take to the new property.

Take XCom. People didn't like it because it was a game that featured alien-invasion. They liked it because it was an anti-alien task-force simulator. Removing the simulator from it removes the essence of what XCom was about.

It's one of the reasons that Valkyria Chronicles was such a sleeper hit--it's battle system was pretty much what a modern XCom should play like.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
DracoSuave said:
Look. Publishers. This isn't rocket science.

When you take a francise that is known for its gameplay and you reboot it to have nothing resembling the gameplay it was known for people who were fans of the gameplay aren't going to take to the new property.

Take XCom. People didn't like it because it was a game that featured alien-invasion. They liked it because it was an anti-alien task-force simulator. Removing the simulator from it removes the essence of what XCom was about.

It's one of the reasons that Valkyria Chronicles was such a sleeper hit--it's battle system was pretty much what a modern XCom should play like.
Not always true though. Example Fallout 3. Fallout 1 and 2 were well known for their combat system interesting quirky squadmates. They put it in a FPS perspective and it still worked with only one squadmate. Fallout NV did even better. I would say that remaking a modern game isn't about keeping the original combat system intact but more about keeping the feel of the game and not introducing it into an already bloated market. If Fallout 3 had been a FPS where you play say a brotherhood initiate fighting through wartorn scenery (the only thing really connecting to the previous) it would of bombed, because we already of plenty of those games.
As a fan of one and two I had no problem with the game. Though i do think they should do a XBLA isometric game.

Grey Carter said:
Scorpid said:
Ah the Lucas excuse. (My average product couldn't of been good, because of those blasted fans with their expectations!) If you honestly think it could never have been seen as good by the fans of the original then why bother doing it?
if you wanted to work on a dystopian cyber punk adventure in a FPS environment why not just make an entire new franchise instead of butchering an old one? Syndicate didn't have a patent on the Cyber punk setting... That's a weak excuse. Foreshame Starbreeze, I like you guys.

PS: I love how the picture with the article tells absolutely nothing about the game except it has bloom effect and is a FPS.
I chose that one specifically to highlight the insane amount of bloom the game uses.
Oh i see. SUCCESS THEN! That was the first thing I noticed.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
im pretty sure ?A told him to say this. ?A knew its a famous title so they hoped for a better cash in.
good thing i dint buy this game. changing a classic game in to a shooter is just wrong. maybe if its really cheap to get like 10$ or so, i might get it if nothing else is around. for this the game seams to be alright.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Metalrocks said:
im pretty sure ?A told him to say this. ?A knew its a famous title so they hoped for a better cash in.
good thing i dint buy this game. changing a classic game in to a shooter is just wrong. maybe if its really cheap to get like 10$ or so, i might get it if nothing else is around. for this the game seams to be alright.
NO doubt those vile excutives at EA have more then a little bit of blood on their hands for this failure. I never put anything past them if it means they make another dollar at the cost of brand loyalty.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Scorpid said:
NO doubt those vile excutives at EA have more then a little bit of blood on their hands for this failure. I never put anything past them if it means they make another dollar at the cost of brand loyalty.
pretty much every game with a ?A logo on is bad news. just look at ME3. it had to be them for this awful ending we got and day 1 DLC.
maybe i just stay away from syndicate after all. otherwise ?A still gets my money.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Who are these classic-franchises-turned-into-FPS games supposed to appeal to? Fans of the franchise are pissed at it being a shooter (and not exactly loyal to the storyline/setting), shooter fans already have established franchises that they play, and casual fans have no idea what the franchise is that the game is rebooting.
This.

I have been wondering about this for quite a while now.

I still don't get it. I find no satisfactory answer. All I see them doing is generating uninspired, mostly generic tunnel-vision on-rails interactive experience fare and destroying old, but established franchises in the process.

It's like a horde of raging George Lucas clones, with the only difference being that Mr. Lucas limits himself to raping his own creations, while a whole army of coders, developers and publishers are seemingly eager to buy rights to rape shelved franchises.

As for CliffyB's most recent statement - he can't possibly be openly condemning the practices of his employers, bosses and trusted colleagues.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll get to experience the online multiplayer component of 3D, first-person shooter Syndicate myself before the servers go dark. But, just as with that annoying prequel- and origin-mania, I just feel very little sympathy for turning everything into a 3D, first-person shooter experience. It just doesn't work for me.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
Live up to everyone's expectations? Of course not. But you could have started by not making it an fps. That would have helped.