Take a Peek at New TV Wonder Woman's Boobalicious Duds

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Dragunai said:
Want to make a guess as to why male superheros are serious and acclaimed while female superheros are represented as sexual objects dressed in impractical clothing, especially in Hollywood films and television? Here's mine: the people responsible for producing the film, as well as the intended audience, are predominantly male. Because women are relatively uninvolved in both production and demographic (or greenlighting the project), representation and characterization of women in these films is subordinate to what men aged 18-34 "want." That's not to say that male artists can't create good center-stage female characters, or that men aren't interested in such characters, (or that women aren't interested in superheros - or that any of the filmmakers' assumptions are valid,) it's just that the conditions have been set to "stack the deck" against good female representation in superhero movies.

The people who are making these movies aren't aiming for meaningful representations of female characters. They're aiming to please the explosions and side-boobs market. If these shows were written for and tested against a predominantly female group, women would probably come out looking a little more respectable.

Or maybe not. Maybe there's a deeper sociological issue at work than something a "just add women and stir" solution can fix.

The Eggplant

May 4, 2010
WingedFortress said:
DC's undying loyalty to their big 3 is honorable, but in my opinion its leading to their other characters being buried.
I've always preferred Green Arrow, but I catch this guy's drift head on. Wonder Woman, besides being arguably one of the weirdest characters in the entirety of the DC multiverse ([a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_woman"]No, seriously. This shit is bananas.[/a]), is just kinda...iunno, bland.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that other characters are any less guilty of this (lookin' at you, Superman), but honestly, despite WW being around for a good few decades longer than many DC characters, I really do feel more interested and--dare I say--invested in characters such as the aforementioned Green Arrow, Azrael, or even Nightwing than I do Diana. Maybe it's just me, but she's never piqued my interest.

(She's still better than Aquaman, though.)

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I dunno. Speaking as a chick, the costume kind of makes me giggle. I can't really take her seriously, especially in high heels and the brightness of her costume.

She seems more 60's superhero than all around female badass.

Speaking as someone who will have to brave the anger/ranting the resident DC and Marvel fanboy in the house, screw the show's creators. There's not enough earplugs in the world for what you just caused.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
the costume is..stupid, but whats with "goofy comedy-drama"?

your not evil dead 2, you pretentious fools, you cant use a frikken wonder-woman TV show to try and mix genres like that and expect anything but crap; no one can seriously expect drama to exist anywhere near that blindingly blue spandex, heres hoping they just go full-on adam west batman and make it all about the camp.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
The Eggplant said:
WingedFortress said:
DC's undying loyalty to their big 3 is honorable, but in my opinion its leading to their other characters being buried.
I've always preferred Green Arrow, but I catch this guy's drift head on. Wonder Woman, besides being arguably one of the weirdest characters in the entirety of the DC multiverse ([a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_woman"]No, seriously. This shit is bananas.[/a]), is just kinda...iunno, bland.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that other characters are any less guilty of this (lookin' at you, Superman), but honestly, despite WW being around for a good few decades longer than many DC characters, I really do feel more interested and--dare I say--invested in characters such as the aforementioned Green Arrow, Azrael, or even Nightwing than I do Diana. Maybe it's just me, but she's never piqued my interest.

(She's still better than Aquaman, though.)
Poor Aquaman. I bet he thought with the polar ice caps melting that everyone might give him a break and put him in a story or two. NOPE.

A little off topic, but your last sentence got me thinking..

Nightwing could actually have his own show and it would alot better than Smallville. A show that focused on Dicks adventures in Bludhaven, rife with flashbacks to the moments where being robin taught him to deal with the situations he deals with weekly? Yes please. DC could use alot of its underrated characters too. Batman could be in the flashbacks too. Just never in a speaking role and normally shrowded in black so its not a big deal who plays him

Have I thought of this too much? Yes. Have a I run out of money to buy comics and am instead coming up with my own? Also yes.

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
ThrobbingEgo said:
Dragunai said:
Want to make a guess as to why male superheros are serious and acclaimed while female superheros are represented as sexual objects dressed in impractical clothing, especially in Hollywood films and television? Here's mine: the people responsible for producing the film, as well as the intended audience, are predominantly male. Because women are relatively uninvolved in both production and demographic (or greenlighting the project), representation and characterization of women in these films is subordinate to what men aged 18-34 "want." That's not to say that male artists can't create good center-stage female characters, or that men aren't interested in such characters, (or that women aren't interested in superheros - or that any of the filmmakers' assumptions are valid,) it's just that the conditions have been set to "stack the deck" against good female representation in superhero movies.

The people who are making these movies aren't aiming for meaningful representations of female characters. They're aiming to please the explosions and side-boobs market. If these shows were written for and tested against a predominantly female group, women would probably come out looking a little more respectable.

Or maybe not. Maybe there's a deeper sociological issue at work than something a "just add women and stir" solution can fix.
Well I wouldnt say its predominantly male in the production as a fair few chicas work in the movie industry but yeah I guess it is more of a given that there is a much higher ratio of male nerds who get into comics than female ones so ofc supply and demand being what it is, the males are going to get preference.

Still kinda sad that we males are seen as nudity hungry perverts who just want slutty lead characters over well developed ones. I prefer intelligent girls with a sense of humour over huge boobs and a perky ass.

Ah well.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
I just don't like that this is going to be first and foremost a comedy. I'm pretty easygoing as far as alternate universes from the canon, but if Wonder Woman's personality is different we have a situation where they have no point in calling her Wonder Woman at all except to rake in fans of the comics. If they come out with a Spawn vaudeville show, I'm going to gag.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Mcoffey said:
The suit looks really plasticy. I don't know, something about using comics' best known female hero in a "goofy comedy" seems kind of wrong. As if they thought that she couldn't carry a serious story or something. But, maybe I'm assuming too much.

My only experience with Wonder Woman comes from the excellent DCAU Justice League, and she was pretty badass in that. She could definitely hold her own show.
From what I remember reading of her in the comics, it was the same way. I just can't believe they'd air a show like this today. It MAYBE would have worked in the 90's, but it just screams 60's Batman to me. I'm not looking forward to it and I'm not planning on watching it. I would have watched a show with a strong female lead, and I would have enjoyed it. This sounds like it's going to be stupid, and so I'll probably skip it.