Talents you wish you had.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
So i'm looking at some drawings on devianart and telling myself i wish i knew how to draw. I never had any artistic skill. Other than stick men and houses made from geometrical shapes , i couldn't draw my way out of a paper back. Some of the drawing people make are pretty damn impressive. I know we have a wide range of artists here on the escapists , and i envy your talents . I never had the patience to learn growing up and at my age (24) i would get too frustrated at my inability to draw properly of i was to try and start to learn now.

So my question is :what are some talents that you wish you had?

And as a bonus question: what talents do you actually have, to make up for the ones you don't?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I made this same thread waaaaay back in the day (July 2013) and the answer I had then is the same I have now...

I really really really wish I could sing well. Like...not just good for my limited singing talent-level ceiling but stage-quality, "holy shit is an angel singing?" quality.

Basically, I want to do this:

Good God I don't swing that way but if NPH sang that to me, there is a good chance that I would let him have his way with me anyways.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Haha I'm another singing wannabe.
Wish I did it better, in all the forms I enjoy.

Talents I have?
I smack things with sticks.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I wish I could sing better, because it would be such an easy quality to showcase. I sing more often than most people.

The talent I do have is comedy. I'm pretty good at making people laugh.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I wish I understood cinematography in a more comprehensive way. There is so much to learn in the art of lighting a scene. I wish I had the talent to do it effortlessly.

Oh well. Hard work ahoy!

I do know how to handle a camera and break down story. Two useful skills in my industry!

blaqknoise

Feb 27, 2010
I wish I could sing better. It would take my music to a whole other level.

I can compose, play guitar, and my production is decent though.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I wish I could sing and write. When I sing, I tend to try and copy the voice of the guy singing and not sing in my own voice. Because my voice can make a man go deaf. Writing is something I enjoy doing, but... commas are my mortal enemy and I tend to either over-describe or under-describe and switch from past and present in between sentences. Sure I could just learn to not do those things but laziness takes over.

I have two talents that I will brag about. Dancing is my first one. I got great rhythm and can put on some boss dance moves. I can headbang to a song in perfect rhythm after a couple seconds and know exactly what type works best. My second is reading. I can take down a 400 page novel in three days taking my time. But if I switch into hyper-active reading mode, I will take that down in a day.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I wish I could sing. Like really, really sing. Those beautiful high ballads that people cry over when they're sad. ;_;

I'm considering singing lessons, but they're mega expensive, and I don't have the confidence to reach that level, but I'd like to try.

Other than that, I don't have any other actual talent. I can doodle okay, and I'm pretty good with a paintbrush (painting walls and houses, mind you. I have 0 talent with a canvas.)

Still, singing is definitely the one talent I'd want to have the most.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
Wish i could talk normally or sing at least not like a complete retard. Dance better than a paraplegic. Maybe write in a coherent mannner... Seriously, even i can't read my handwritting

I also wish i could walk in a straight line instead of a zig zag pattern...
Dyspraxia

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Always wanted to be an author, mainly in the science fiction genre. Unfortunately, I never managed to produce anything that upon review was remotely salvageable, much less halfway decent. I am still not certain why, it seems almost as if my writing skills drop about 6 grade levels every time I start to write for the sake of such a project. Yes, I am aware that an overdeveloped sense of criticism for one's own work is common in such a position, even accounting for that factor it was still tripe.

I have however managed to turn my creative bent in a different direction by developing a talent for design work. I may not be able to effectively share the worlds I see in my head with others, but I can help in making this world just a little tiny bit more like those same dreams.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I wish I could dance really well. I'd like it to be I-can-do-any-sort-of-dance-perfectly sort of deal but if I had to choose it would be a cool dance the kind you see people doing to dubstep/electro.

A talent I have, if you can call it that, is being able to improvise really well. Whether that be quickly coming up with a plausible excuse, taking a point from someone else's presentation and making it sound like I actually done work, or just being able to adapt fast in games. Its pretty useful. I also come across a whole lot more confident, or am a lot more confident when I'm doing something on the fly.

Spacemonkey430

Oct 8, 2012
I'm not artistic or expressive in any way. I can't sing, dance, draw, or art in any way. Its kind of depressing at times when my friends or my girlfriend show me the cool things they can draw/make/sing/dance. Granted, I can do things they can't with some talent in machining and CAD/CAM but still. I wish I wasn't so artistically inept.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Simple. I wish could cause explosions with my mind.
...what? Dream big or go home, fools!

As for talents I do have, well. I can draw and sing.

Oct 2, 2012
Like almost everybody else posting I too wish I could sing well. But my singing voice is... Well not at all okay.
I wish I had a better grasp of languages too. Its very hard for me to learn a language (I gave up trying to learn Spanish a couple years ago) but I'm gonna try harder to learn this time.

Also wish I could play an instrument (Cello, Violin, Guitar, Piano) but my fingers just don't work.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Guitar.

I'm actually a pretty good singer. I can do most of The Who's and Zeppelin's stuff, but I can't play a lick of it. It's the deeper, raspy singers that give me trouble. I can't sing any of Warren Haynes' stuff, despite having a naturally low speaking voice.

I'd like to be able to dance too. Haha--I don't know, but I wanna.

I'm honestly surprised singing is so popular. Thought I was the only asshole who enjoyed that.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
A really useful ability, rather than anything grandiose, I would have thusly:

I wish I could hit people without consequences. Like...ever. Just...some people need to be hit, and the only reason I don't do it is because I don't want to be yelled at or punished for it. I'm not saying that I'll just smack people willy-nilly, but there are some things where I should be able to throw my hands up and say that I tried before belting the person one.

To make up for it, I am very lucky.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I wish I was good enough in some sport (Football (Europe), or Snooker) to go pro!
It takes hard work and I play both occasionally, but I never started to train enough as a youngster or any of my coaches saw any talent in me to push me further, which is a shame.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Well like over half the people here, I wish I could sing.

Is singing something you can learn or do you just have to be naturally good at it? I never figured that out.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Dead Century said:
Simple. I wish could cause explosions with my mind.
...what? Dream big or go home, fools!
Accepted?

I wish I could draw and 3D model as well as this guy [digitalblasphemy.com]. I have the ideas and locales in my head. I don't have the skill though to translate any of that onto a piece of paper or computer very well...

Yet.