Taliban Fumes Over Royal Gaming Thumbs

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
This is a stupid age of man for really stupid people. Leave Harry alone and gods leave me alone, i'm going to watch Cloud Atlas again and dream of a quiet future far far away.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
PunkRex said:
Sixcess said:
Pipotchi said:
I imagined they'd be more annoyed by the fact that one of the British Royal family is flying overhead, bombing the shit out of their women hating backward asses, before swooping off to play FIFA and party with sluts in Vegas. The man's an epitome of everything they hate.
Yup, he's basically the real Duke Nukem... with the difference that one day he'll be an actual Duke.

By gad, this story makes me proud to be British.
Holy shit, who got this patriotism all over me? Its warm and fuzzy... and smells a little like battered cod.
first time I've felt it too...
It's odd, mine smells like earl grey.
Probably because it's the most British thing I can think of at the moment being from the commonwealth of Australia.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
I actually see how the Taliban can be really offended if they understand what he said like they do.

"Yeah, the war with you guys? It's like a game to us."

rasta111

Nov 11, 2009
Treblaine said:
And I don't think the Taliban realise how we view the royal family.
QFT... The Taliban are religious fanatics, which is why I started by describing Harry the way they see him, as 'a divine being' that is looked up to and 'loved' somewhat unconditionally by his people. He is comparable to a holy man, in that respect, people will follow his teachings (when compared with the average person his power to influence is greatly magnified by... Chance?).

If Prince Harry came and posted right here, if you could be sure it was authentic while you might not take interest in anything he said, I think we can be agreed everyone (eventually, on the whole site, probably) would turn around and take notice right?

captcha: three strikes... I'm out.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
I love it when these guys try their hand at PR. I got a good chuckle out of this one.

IgnisInCaelum

Feb 2, 2011
rhizhim said:
so where do you apply for the mars colony again? gotta be far away when this comes full cirlce...
This *so hard.*
erttheking said:
Ok, this whole situation just became hilarious. All Henry needs to now is reply to the Taliban spokesperson. "LOL Noob."
If that were to happen, I'd probably spend three hours rolling around laughing. What an amazing first-world response to people who don't even live in the real world to begin with.

Not that most people do, but it's my pitiful attempt at an interesting/amusing comment so shush or I'll get offended and have a horde of idiots yell at you for being a meanie!

Abbot of Beregost

Jun 25, 2012
Flutterbrave said:
A person who is hugely disconnected from everyday life said something which a very small number of people found insensitive?

Shock and horror.
So wait, he says something off the cuff as a twenty-something who's been on more combat missions than 99% of the population? Lord forbid he word something wrong!God knows he's lived a normal east London life in a home where...oh wait, he's been tabloid fodder since conception, because that makes a mafucker normal.

When it breaks down to it, you have a person who likens games to killing BAD GUYS (seriously, if you think the Talibs are the good guys, wtf) to games maybe as a measure of distancing himself from taking another human life. Really, guys. It's a statement, taken out of context, by a young man who should by any rights be shaking and hugging himself in a padded room.

Like every other piece of celebrity news, it's out of context or inconsequential. Let's move on and deal with real things.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
erttheking said:
Ok, this whole situation just became hilarious. All Henry needs to now is reply to the Taliban spokesperson. "LOL Noob."
I don't really care about the monarchy seeing as I'm not from the UK but that would firmly put Harry onto my list of most awesome people.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
YOu know i was going to defend the prince here. but then, fifa. he plays fifa. nah im on taliban with this one.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
poiumty said:
Nothing to see here. Bunch of people who don't know shit about videogames throw out baseless accusations because it hoyt their feewings.
I have a speech Impediment and that statement hoyts my feewings.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
Okay now I don't like the Taliban and I love video games but even if the Taliban hadn't been all butthurt about this and I had heard about him saying this I would still be disappointed because regardless of whether or not it does make you better at war when an influential individual says something like this that people will take note of it gives games a bad rap. So to sum up, It's fine if video games DO make you better at violence but that doesn't mean you shouldn't watch what you say.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
MarlonBlazed said:
Also the Taliban are winning? Or are just the British losing to the Taliban? That statement doesn't make sense to me.
Not that I'm aware of, where did it say that? Read the article here, but mainly skimmed the sources. We're pulling out on a semi regular basis, but that's because it's just not necessary that we be there any more, any troops that are still there are just there for "peacekeeping" purposes. I suspect that in their minds that means they're winning.

Captcha: I'm in you. Apparently the captcha has been listening to Frank Zappa.

Epicspoon said:
Okay now I don't like the Taliban and I love video games but even if the Taliban hadn't been all butthurt about this and I had heard about him saying this I would still be disappointed because regardless of whether or not it does make you better at war when an influential individual says something like this that people will take note of it gives games a bad rap. So to sum up, It's fine if video games DO make you better at violence but that doesn't mean you shouldn't watch what you say.
I know it can have knock on consequences, but I respect him for saying it, as he shouldn't need to hide what he thinks just because some people will get up in arms about it. In this case, the only people getting up in arms about it, are the ones that already are, and their thoughts on video games are negligible at best, we've got worse things to worry about when it comes to the taliban. It wasn't like he was saying it as a statement, he just mentioned it in passing.

In fact the fact that Mujahid states he is a "coward" is laughable, given the Talibans preferred targets, at least he's actually fighting other "soldiers".

Even if the people back home do think this is "evidence", screw em, they'll be about in a few years and we won't have to put up with em anymore, and it's not like it's going to have a real effect. It should be a well known fact that the military uses video games for pilot (and possibly other forms of combat) training anyway, so it's not like this is anything new.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
MarlonBlazed said:
Also the Taliban are winning? Or are just the British losing to the Taliban? That statement doesn't make sense to me.
Well the British are losing a lot of soldiers... but that's due to the government rather than the enemy.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
What do people think the armed forces do in their downtime? - write letters to that girl they're gonna marry?, stare at pictures of their kids?, practice their brooding?

No - they play videogames and palette wrestle.

Soldiers are entitled to be human beings, except maybe Taliban 'soldiers'.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
octafish said:
That and hoping in the gunners seat was "a joy to him". Possibly just a little too bloodthirsty or disconnected from consequences for comfort really. I can understand that after seeing a US aircrew murder a Reuters Photographer.
Blatant and down right low quote mining.

he claimed that all the time he spent playing videogames during downtime at Camp Bastion helped make him more accurate on the guns.

"It's a joy for me because I'm one of those people who loves playing Playstation and Xbox so, with my thumbs...

... "I thrash them at Fifa the whole time."
It's inescapably obvious the joy was him playing a computer football game, not the "hoping into his gunner's seat".

Sorry to break this to you, but you are perpetuating the same lie the Taliban made up.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Bvenged said:
It's the Taliban we're talking about. They murder innocent civilians and call it "war"
Let's not pretend we don't do the same, whether via drone strikes, bombs or just plain accident.

I'll agree that put next to the Taliban we're the lesser of two evils, but since we've resorted to drone strikes and torture, we haven't really got a whole lot of high ground left.