Tali'Zorah is 9 days old: An update and a story on fatherhood

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Hey everybody.

Firstly, some obvious questions out of the way. This kind of post is probably the sort of thing suited to a blog post or Facebook, but I have neither of those things. I have this forum, and you guys.

I could have amended the previous post, but I consider it somewhat "tainted". In retrospect, I looked pretty immature, but in fairness my mind was a maelstrom. I was going to be a father. It was real. I wanted to talk about it, but who would care? Maybe her name, connected to a video game on a video game forum, would inspire some conversation. In only 9 days, I've learned so much, and I've learned how foolish it was to present my nervousness and anticipation the way I did. I don't regret being excited that Bioware actually reached out to me, it was an unexpected addition to an already chaotic series of days that were blurring together and I don't feel guilty for being excited about it.

With that out of the way, I know some people want to see some pictures:

[http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/drunkonestus/media/20140113_184834_zps2c992411.jpg.html]

[http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/drunkonestus/media/20140114_202046_zps60d11b23.jpg.html]

[http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/drunkonestus/media/20140110_113634_zpsadd4b108.jpg.html]

If anyone is about to be a father, or considering fatherhood in the future, my ultimate advice is to consider first what you really want to do in live and do the hell out of it. Since Tali's first second on Earth, everything I did as a hobby has fallen almost completely away. Not with regret, or with bitterness, but happily. Everything I do and every decision I make is with her potential happiness considered, and providing that comfort is a feeling more gratifying than any pursuit I've enjoyed in the past.

What do I mean, exactly? To be blunt, I was a 2 pack a day smoker. I loved smoking, and I still love everything about it. Since her birth, I went from 2 packs a day to a couple lingering cigarettes left in the pack I bought a couple days before she was born. It harms her, even if I don't do it near her, so I get rid of it. The thinking is that cut and dry. It isn't about me anymore. It may be healthy for my mind to not totally abandon myself to best serve her needs, but I am not the center of my own life anymore.

The obvious one is video games. In the last 9 days, I actually got in the first level of Mark of the Ninja (which was excellent and I look forward to beating someday) before her cries led to a total drop of the controller. Even in beating that level, I wasn't giving the game my full attention. I had my ears open for her breathing, and a major portion of my subconscious was dominated by the reality that she was really here and next to me. I do understand that in time I'll become more comfortable with her being here and become less anxious, but in these nine days it's difficult to avoid thinking "Am I selfish for playing this? Should I be doing something to better Tali'Zorah's life, even if she's sleeping?". If nothing else, I foresee handhelds becoming more prominent in my life, getting in bits of gameplay in pediatrician waiting rooms and smaller gaps of time. (Side note: I really wish consoles went into sleep mode like my Vita. Being able to just hit the power button and be right where I was in the game is a remarkably helpful feature). I say that, but it's really hard to not stare at her. Just spending time looking at her, getting all philosophical about the nature of creating a person and experiencing the wonder of having her look back with a glance that only a child can give to their parent.

For those curious about her health, she's perfectly healthy. She's gaining healthy weight, she's a healthy color, and everything is working the way it should. If anything, it certainly is comforting to know that I don't have to add health to the list of concerns I face every day.

Now, there's that thorny issue about her name. It's unavoidable. To be honest, it's early but there's no resistance thus far. I already encountered the "apostrophe not working in the computer system" at the pediatrician, so they just dropped it and it's "Talizorah" on the paperwork there. It doesn't seem to have been an "issue", but again it's early. All the doctors, family members, the pediatrician, nurses, and my wife's dentist have said "it's such a beautiful name, I love it". Maybe some of them are being polite, but at least Tali's name isn't so nuts that people decide it's worth avoiding politeness in order to tear into me about it. Also, there's the inevitable nickname. She has so far been referred to as "Tali", "T", "Tals", "Zorah", "Z", and "Rose" (her middle name) by various people in our lives. To end my side of the name discussion, I personally love "Tali'Zorah" more each time I see it. It's been written on a lot of things, and I feel stronger about the decision and love the name more and more as it becomes a part of our daily vernacular.

Finally, I apologize if nobody really cares. Like I said, I don't have a Facebook and I don't have a blog. This forum was the first people I told about her because I've made legitimate friends here. It's hard to fight the urge to show pictures to everybody and be "that guy with his damn kid", but hey, a trip to Youtube shows that the Internet is great for some "hey, look at me, I have a kid and she's great". It's changed my life and the way I view the world, and I wouldn't change any part of it. It's an amazing journey, and the benefits only sound like negatives when explained to someone who doesn't have or doesn't want children. Either way, maybe the Escapist will still be here when she's old enough to meet some of the people who were there to hear that she had made it to Earth.

Thank you to everyone who's supported me and Tali'Zorah, and thank you to the people who wanted her name changed, because at the very least it shows that you cared about the potential well being of a stranger. Now that my "free time shift" is over (thank God for spouses), I must go. Maybe someday I can tear into that free DMC I got through PS+. Maybe I'll instead change diapers and clean spit-up, do laundry, and make dinner. Either way, life is good and it's good to be alive.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Your heart is in the right place if you're constantly thinking about that little bundle of new life in the next room while gaming and checking your smoking habits. It's fair enough to post about a follow up here all things considered.

I wish you and baby Tali'Zorah the best of luck as you watch her go from rugrat to young lady.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Oh my God, you actually did it. D: Oh man. The apostrophe and everything...

Well, good luck with your kid. Don't know what else to say. Glad to hear she's healthy and normal.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
First off, d'aaaaaaaaw, she's so cute!

Second, congratulations. Sure it's only been nine days, but so far you sound like a terrific father. I really respect your acts of selflessness for her sake and I wish your family all the best.

As for her name, I really don't see the big deal. Working in a post office, I've seen plenty of unusual names. She can always shorten it to Tali if she chooses, or go by her middle name, which a fair number of people I know have done. As far as I'm concerned, it's a total non-issue; 'sides, if you (in the general sense) spent your whole life worrying about what other people are going think, you wouldn't do anything worthwhile.

Thanks for posting this. Once again, she's absolutely beautiful. :)

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
On the subject of the name, I don't think there really is going to be any instances where she'll be made fun of for it, honestly I don't think anyone will give it a second thought unless she runs into an adult who has played the game, or one of her peers who is into retro gaming.

Of course from personal experience I'm almost positive she will get "the pause" and "the cultural guess" at some point. The first is where anytime someone has to call her name (unless they've played mass effect) will awkwardly pause after trying to say a part of the first name but give up due to not wanting to get it wrong, they'll usually ask here what she prefers to be called or use her last name if it fits into their vocabulary. The second one is where the person calling her name will get the name right phonetically in their head but will assume there is some cultural twist on how to pronounce it (best example is how in Spanish Jesus is commonly pronounces "hey soos") after acknowledging them she will have to correct them on how it is actually pronounced.

Both of these situations are slightly embarrassing at first but as time goes by it will just be a tedious thing that may or may not happen. Luckily this pretty much only applies during times when the have to call on your name for attendance, so its basically relegated to the school system, so it only really applies once or twice at the beginning of the year when the instructor is still learning names, from elementary all they way through to college.

This isn't me judging you or nor a condemnation of her name choice, In my experience if all she has to do is correct someone on how her name is pronounced I think she is getting off light.

Other than that, congrats and best of luck for you and yours in the future.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
D'awwwwwwwwww, she's so tiny! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Anyway, glad to hear she's doing well! You sound like a very good father, MUCH better than some of the useless dolts I know with kids.
It's uncommon but it's not a stupid name, and I can't think of any insults kids might say to her when she's older (I'm sure they'll try though, they picked apart my name and mine is common -_-)

Hopefully the nice people who were throwing your parenting into question because of a name realise their mistake.
What's better, an unusual name and great parents, or a nice name and shitty parents?

(Even I was a bit hmmm haa hmmm about it because you assumed she would like it, which isn't always the case with people >.> but there's always options open for her if she doesn't.)

Anyway, good luck with the future and savour every moment! ^_^

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
God that's gonna be awkward in school, anyways congrats! Good to see she's healthy! Best of luck to both of you and beware of any Johns xD

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I remember when my daughter was born. It was much the same as you describe. The realization that there is no more "you", there is only "we" and it'll always be that way. My kid is now 17, will be 18 in a couple of months, and it's never changed. She's the most important part of my life and has been since those early days.

When she was 6, she nearly died from Meningitis. The doctors and nurses were giving us the "hope for the best" nonsense, pretty much prepping us to prepare for the worst. I've never felt more helpless and try to treat each day since as a gift. A gift of faith or the universe, or just plain ol' science if you're not prone to "belief".

Your personal hobbies will still have their place, but they are going to be lower and lower over the next few years, as you've found out. But don't purge them completely. Everyone needs something to break the tension. And even in the good times, raising a child is tense. It's a good thing though.

As for the name, I say if that's what makes you happy and your spouse has no objection, then why not? It's a pretty name and even if the series passes from memory that's not what matters. What matters is you've begun her identity and it will stand out from the crowd which can be a great thing. Embrace it all.

Good luck my friend. I wish you and little "T" the absolute very best life has to offer.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Congratulations my friend, I wish you and your family all the best in the years to come. Your daughter is super cute :)

Personally I like the name, although I don't think I would use it myself. It is very pretty though and I think Tali is lucky to have a father as concerned as you.

Oct 2, 2012
Shes a beautiful baby man! Glad to see you're so happy with everything.
I think its a great name.

Good luck man! Hope she grows up big and strong.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
So you ignored the advice of almost everyone in that thread who strongly urged you not to name her that and did it anyway...

Poor kid.

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
Congratulations! I have an eight month old girl myself and you're absolutely right, it totally changes your life and habits. In the best way possible though. I like the name. I wish you all the best!

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
I have no comment on the name, I just came here to say congrats an also D'awwwwwwwww she's adorable! *ahem* sorry don't know what happened there.

Dec 14, 2009
I'm not sure what bothers me more.

The prospect of a father knowingly using his child as a focus for seeking attention, or that you are completely unaware of any of the implications of your actions, despite the pages of people advising you against it.

Scary indeed.

smokingplane

Dec 26, 2011
Congratulations with Tali, she looks like a beautiful healthy baby.
I think it's a great name, with a better story behind it then 'we just picked it out of a list'.

You're heading for a great time with not nearly enough sleep, but oh so worth it.

Best of luck to you and your wife and little Tali'Zorah.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Adorable baby in sight... Womb engaging brooding mode... GAH!

She's gorgeous, and I think Tali'Zorah is a beautiful name. I'd never have the guts to give it to my hypothetical child - plus I'm not sure Swedish laws would allow me to do so - but I'm too obsessed with what other people think of me.

Wish you and yours all the best!