Teacher Cancels Class Because of Portal 2 Launch

thepj

Aug 15, 2009
I think the teacher just cancelled class so he could go and play Portal 2 as well, something like:
"Wow, everyone's calling in sick on the day Portal 2 came out, I wish I could play Portal 2... *realisation* Hey wait! Everybody! Class is canceled!"

Siberian Relic

Jan 15, 2010
One Hit Noob said:
Siberian Relic said:
This is why kids these days are as dumb as they are, putting video games above an education. A better option for the teacher would've been to flunk the kids who called out sick.
Ah, what's the matter? Portal 2 is learning. And I expect the teacher was also playing Portal 2 judging at the message.
And that's exactly the sort of "logic" those students likely used to justify skipping class to play a video game. Just because something makes you think doesn't categorize it as "educational".

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
I think people are overreacting just a tad bit. its one class, one lecture. most of the students asked for the notes on the lecture anyway, So its not as if they completely forsook their education. Chillax a bit everyone.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Bad move.
Catering to liars like that...

what ya needed to do is say "Oh students, tomorrow is a grade critical quiz. And oly excused absence will be with accompanied doctor note. Have fun with that."

GroovyV

Feb 23, 2011
Although i may not adhere to it, i more or less live under the notion that "Delayed Gratification" can be a good thing. So i probably would have saved my sick day for something else. Although, considering how many other people still called in sick just to get it, had i been in that class, i probably would have missed out on buying it if those other kids bought out their current stock.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
It could be that he recognises that some of his students are gamers, has a bit of gamer in him, and thus as a joke says it's Portal 2 rather than him actually needing personal time off ;D

Lecturers are people too ... they like jokes.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
I can honestly say that I have never skipped school because of a game release, dont get me wrong, I have wanted to, very VERY BADLY, but I think my education is important, I kinda force myself through school though there were a couple of times I played hookie.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
I just thought, "What's going to happen when Skyrim comes out?". Schools and buisnesses nationwide will grind to a halt.

Kitteh

Mar 31, 2010
HankMan said:
I'm actually one of those boring people who only calls in sick when I'm actually sick, Still that's nice she let them stay home.
For Science.
SCIENCE!!!!!!!!

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
*ahem*

This was a triumph.
Making a note here:
Huge success.

(Why can't he by MY teacher? I only have 4 more days I can get "sick!")

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
John Funk said:
Don't lie - you've called in sick to school (or to work) because a game came out that you really wanted to play, haven't you?
I actually didn't have to. When Cataclysm released, several schools in Sweden (including mine) had a day off on the day afterwards. ^^ WoW is srs business in Sweden.

erto101

Aug 18, 2009
PureChaos said:
i've not called in sick for a game. i only call in sick when i am actually sick. had 1 sick day in about 16 months.

for the teacher, he made the wise choice. no point in doing the class if most of the students won't attend. he may secretly have hoped that would happen so he could get it
3 sick days in 9 years ^^ My teacher send my home otherwise i would've come to school anyway :p

Skipping school ain't really my style :p Skipping sleep on the other hand...

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
HankMan said:
I'm actually one of those boring people who only calls in sick when I'm actually sick, Still that's nice she let them stay home.
For Science.
I'm like that too.
John Funk said:
I think that teacher totally owned the class! And it's good that they they took it so well. I hope the teacher enjoys portal 2 as well.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ah I only had one class the day after Portal 2's release date...which is when I went over to my friend's house to play it

but on days when I did actually buy a big game title a la midnight release...yeahhhh always happened to fall out nights/days when I was really busy and exhausted :[ got my work done early as much as possible but still heh...