Teacher Cancels Class Because of Portal 2 Launch

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I just take leave in anticipation to video game releases. In fact, I've been on leave since Last Tuesday, because I needed a break.

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
I wanted to, and seriously considered it, but my consience got the better of me... Also we are under staffed as it is, so i couldnt :(

Pyrokinesis1019

Jun 3, 2010
That is pretty cool. I wish they had canceled school... but sadly, high school doesn't work like that.
I just stayed up 'till 2am playing it, then went to school, well, slightly more tired.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Nuke_em_05 said:
Doctor Glocktor said:
Jesus Christ, the vast majority in this thread need to learn to lighten the fuck up and pull that log out of their asses.

ONE class missed doesn't meant the world is gonna end. Get over it.
FamoFunk said:
Haha, that's funny.
Seriously, some of you guys I think are over-reactig a little bit.
mikev7.0 said:
Doctor Glocktor said:
Jesus Christ, the vast majority in this thread need to learn to lighten the fuck up and pull that log out of their asses.

ONE class missed doesn't meant the world is gonna end. Get over it.
I agree. Why is it never situationally dependent? I mean if you have all your homework in, are studying hard, and feel confident about your exams then why not have a day of celebration for something as cool, educational, and thought provoking as Portal?

Heck I took two days off for Red Alert 3 and my teachers knew it and didn't care. As long as I maintained my 3.85 or better they let me do pretty much whatever I wanted. God I love my teachers....
I'm not sure about the other "negative Nancys", but for me, it isn't about individuals skipping class or work for a game. Like I said, if you can handle missing the class, that's fine for you; you have makeup work or need to hunt down lecture notes, that's fine.

My point is that this teacher applied that to all of their students. What about the students who couldn't care less about Portal 2 who now have to rearrange their week to come to the makeup session?

Where are the consequences for the students who did take the day off? Not consequences like punishment, but the simple consequences; miss a day, makeup work, loss of participation points, missed lecture? Nowhere, they get their cake (lie or no), and eat it too.
Hey Nuke I didn't call anyone negative and I sure in shining heck didn't call them Nancy! Yeah I see your point though....

Yet how many times have you had to reschedule things due to a "big game" or a pep rally or some other nonsense that has nothing to with education whatever? For me, it's been lots. College football around here shuts down the town! I kid you not I couldn't even go to my credit union on one game day and on others it takes like fourty five minutes extra just to get home from work. So for once everybody has to once again adjust but this time it's in tribute to something that IS educational as well as fun. I just don't see that as a bad thing. Or maybe they could stop shutting down the town in celebration of 22 guys arguing over an oval and I'll go back to "Nope. Just school. No days off for anything." I just don't see that happening though.

Also I bet a lot more people didn't show up today for a different reason and that affected study groups and schedules too. I was just expressing that for ONCE I was kinda' happy to hear that it was "our" turn.

Now be honest. What will you be doing on June 16th?? ;0)

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
restoshammyman said:
mikev7.0 said:
restoshammyman said:
HankMan said:
Mackheath said:
snip
300,000 km per second and 300,000,000 m/s is the same thing.
kilo means thousand.
Yep yep I realized my mistake. It was just because everything that I've studied the speed of light in always lists it in miles per second EXCEPT About Time and that was were I found the 300,000 per km which I didn't immediately realize (but should have) is equal to 300,000,000 meters per second. Sorry about that. Like I said it just goes to prove that we (the United States) should just switch to the metric system and teach it from the get go. For-(hadja' goin' there huh? No i'm not doing it again....) 80D

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
I like that teacher, he has a good mindset. I know already that on the Release of Skyrim(it's a friday) I'll be skipping my whole day of classes with a few friends. We're all in the top portions of our classes when we try so it's not really a problem.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Nothing like a story to inspire contempt.

But it makes me feel better about myself, knowing I will never stoop to that level of depravity.

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
Shit time for them to release Portal lol. All us poor Uni students have all our Essays and crap due around this time. In Aus anyways.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
Good a reason as any. Hell, in high school, I remember them cancelling classes over really trivial stuff...like snow...and no students other than me showing up.

Eponet

Nov 18, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
It's never 'one lecture' but it always starts with one, the second peopel realise no one's making them learn they stop attending and all their course mates working in groups suffer.
This is false. I missed exactly one in my first year and made sure to attended every single one since then.

Never is much to strong a word. Perhaps "Not often 'one lecture'" would be more effective.

Sabinfrost

Mar 2, 2011
That is absolutely hilarious, my friend is studying game development at Uni and if his class had not taken the day off, they were sitting there on their laptops playing it.

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
Dear Class,

It is to my understanding you all despise learning in favor of videogames. I sympathize. Deeply. Please let me play Portal 2 tomorrow...

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Everyone I know who's ever done this, which is like 4 people in my state of 3 million, have turned out to be some of the biggest losers I know. Who seriously skips work/class for a game they can play any other day, but not work?

Sigh.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Hey! Diabulenza is a serious disease, happening once every 5 to 10 years! Affects millions of people every time, and the next one is predicted to be more serious than Warcraftitis.