Teaching kids about homosexuality

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
I don't think homosexuality should be encouraged, because honestly they figure it out themselves. I have nothing against it, but eventually when people start having casual sex and experimenting and whatnot they figure it out. I think teaching them about sex at a young age purely as a pleasure thing (which it basically is if no reproduction is involved) isn't the best thing to do. The cliche sex talk always starts with "When and man and a woman love each other..." and it normally is just about making babies. They figure out that that sex feels good on their own.

thewaever

Mar 4, 2010
lettucethesallad said:
Personally I feel rather strongly that if the kid is going to learn about love between man and woman, then homosexual relationships should absolutely be mentioned as well, on the "a man can love a man, and a woman can love a woman too!" level. However, as close as I may be to this kid, she's not mine, and thus I don't feel like it's my place to force my way of thinking onto someone else. If there is another discussion like that when I'm present, I'd probably just say it and make sure she knows it's a normal thing, but sitting the kid down to explain it to her without the subject already being up for discussion at that moment is just not something I'm sure would be my place to do.
L, I think that's a very balanced & healthy attitude. The only other opinion/idea I can offer is maybe suggesting to your sister to include homosexuality in "the talk."

Even if she disagrees with you, at least she'll understand your position.

offtopic
Timmaaaah said:
I don't think homosexuality should be encouraged, because honestly they figure it out themselves. I have nothing against it, but eventually when people start having casual sex and experimenting and whatnot they figure it out. I think teaching them about sex at a young age purely as a pleasure thing (which it basically is if no reproduction is involved) isn't the best thing to do. The cliche sex talk always starts with "When and man and a woman love each other..." and it normally is just about making babies. They figure out that that sex feels good on their own.
Like Josdeb said...
Josdeb said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
The Hairminator said:
No, I do not. I don't think homosexuality should be encouraged, unless it actually comes from the child itself, with as little as external influence as possible.
Who said encouraged? This is basically "gays exist."
They exist? Crap I should become one!
What? What do you mean blondes? What are they? I'm so becoming one of those!
European? Holy moley! Sounds different! I'm so moving there!
Cactus? I am a cactus!
The fact of the matter is, even without "encouragement" & in fact with a hell of a lot of DIScouragement homosexuality has been a constant since forever.

Your kid WILL encounter homosexuality, either an actual example or as a weapon wielded by some bully homophobe. Including homosexuality in "the talk" will not "encourage" homosexuality, but it will give the kid the tools (s)he needs to interact with fellow human beings.

101flyboy

Jul 11, 2010
Timmaaaah said:
If you have to say "I have nothing against it" you do have something against it. Or, you wouldn't qualify it.

Homosexuality should be as "encouraged", whatever that means, as heterosexuality. Homosexuality is not any lesser than heterosexuality. It is not any less acceptable or a worse option.

Kids need guidance. Kids need help. Kids need direction. Telling a kid "figure it out on your own" is a recipe for DISASTER. Kids NEED love and support. Why would you deny a gay/lesbian kids that just because of their sexuality? Why deny the truth to children that they are MORE than one option, and the world and most people inhabiting it are not 100% straight? Gay/lesbian folks and gayness in general deserves the same respect as straight folks and heterosexuality.

Saying homosexuality is purely about fun is INSULTING. It's also about, you know, love, romance, togetherness. It's not just fucking to get off. It's no different than heterosexual sex, outside of the procreation aspect, and not all heterosexuals have kids. Sex isn't just for making babies. Yes, there is a need to be age appropriate, but LYING to kids is not an option. Kids deserve the truth.

Men and men and women and women love each other as do men and women. Being straight is not the only way of the world. And it's downright cruel to teach otherwise. Heterosexism is wrong.

101flyboy

Jul 11, 2010
timeadept said:
101flyboy said:
timeadept said:
Timmehexas said:
The Hairminator said:
No, I do not. I don't think homosexuality should be encouraged, unless it actually comes from the child itself, with as little as external influence as possible.

The same goes for the opposite- The kid will learn soon enough, and probably ask her parents about it- then they should tell her, naturally, as unbiased as they can. If she later finds out she is indeed actually queer, it would be better if she does not have any subconscious issues with it inherited from her parents.

But still, they should not be handled equally, as heterosexuality is still the norm- and the natural way to reproduce. If the children are gay, they will probably find it out themselves. The important thing is to then make sure they are neither ashamed or feel otherwise repressed.
Yes because informing them about it is so "encouraging" it, they're going to learn about it eventually why not tell them in a completely unbiased way so they can make up their own decision when they're older about whether they think it's right or wrong.
I know from experience that when learning something new (and i'm talking about academics now)if i am taught the wrong way to do something first, or how many people do this thing wrong or so on(BTW I am NOT trying to imply that homosexuality is wrong.) then i end up remembering both ways, the right way and the common mistake, and i'm continually confused as to which one was the right way to do this thing from that point on.
Basically you end up confusing the idea that you are trying to teach and making it harder to sort it all out in the future.
I wanted to go back and reply to this, because this post was eye openinng. Yes, you were saying homosexuality is wrong, or less desirable and basically is unnatural. It's pretty obvious. And you're saying teaching kids about homosexuality will lead them to potentially believe they are bisexual or not straight, and that is a problem, that they should be taught to be straight. If you weren't saying homosexuality is wrong, why qualify it? At the very least you think heterosexuality is the #1 option, which is heterosexist.
No i wasn't saying that homosexuality is wrong, less desirable or unnatural, again you are seeing only what you want to see and not taking the time to understand the meaning i intended to communicate. I can understand that there was a SLIGHT implication, and i did my best to avoid that implication, but you can read anything you want to if you try hard enough.
I NEVER said children should be taught to be straight. Yes i did say that teaching children about homosexuality could lead them to believing that they are not straight when they are, BUT you're taken it out of context and lost the full meaning as always happens when things are taken out of context. I said a child may become confused if you teach them about homosexuality AT THE SAME TIME as you teach them about heterosexual relationships. This makes it seem like homosexuality is much more common than it is and yes, then the child may believe they are homosexual or bi when they are not. Oh and btw, people can't learn to be gay, i thought you knew that? You need to teach children to be who they are, and not necessarily what is socially acceptable.

101flyboy said:
If you weren't saying homosexuality is wrong, why qualify it? At the very least you think heterosexuality is the #1 option, which is heterosexist.
I really don't understand what you meant by this. But if by "heterosexuality is the #1 option" than you meant it is the most common, then yes that is exactly what i believe, and it is not sexist in any way because it is true. If you think that i think that being heterosexual is superior to being homosexual, then you are absolutely wrong. (so long as you put aside the discrimination that homosexuals are facing, because it can't be very advantageous to have to face that, can it?)
OK, thank you for clarifying!

I know you can't teach people to be straight. I was saying, and I guess incorrectly, that kids should be steered towards only believing that straight is the only option. I'm sorry for accusing you, you've explained yourself well.

The only issues I have are two things. Why would teaching a kid that gay people exist or that being gay is an option confuse a kid into believing they are gay? It would just mean that there are two options on the table, that doesn't automatically mean they would select one option, especially at 7. I would think that they confusion would come if you don't teach a kid that there are two options, and then they believe there is only one.

Also, although most people aren't exclusively gay, most people aren't 100% straight, either. So, I don't know what would be difficult in basically starting with "when two people love each other" and going from there. If a kid is confused, that's probably because the parent didn't explain the situation well enough. It's not difficult to simply start out with gender-neutral terms.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I won't explain the 'birds and the bees' to my kids until they ask me, or get curious, or I feel they're old enough to understand. Not because I think they shouldn't know at a younger age, because I reckon any age is enough to know the basic ideas and details of normal human relationships (if not sex or whatever). But rather, because I don't want to force such knowledge on my future children when I don't know if they'll be ready yet to hear it.

That being said, when I do tell my future kids about relationships and sex and whatever, I will give them all the facts they ask for, and I will teach them about both homosexual and heterosexual relationships. I will make sure they understand that the two are exactly the same save for the genders of the people involved. And I will be, as much as possible, honest about telling them the facts behind both het and homo relationships. At the end of the day, there is almost nothing different between the two, save superficiously. Refusing to tell your kids about gay relationships, no matter how well-intentioned the reasons may be, is just as bad as saying that being gay is wrong, because it is presenting a view that is biased in favour of what is considered 'the norm', even if such bias is unintentional, and all that does is further build the false illusion that being gay is wrong.

vfaulkon

Jul 21, 2008
Should parents tell their kids about homosexuality? Yes. Should they initiate the discussion when they're seven? Hell no.

If you need a reason beyond common sense, it's simple: kids have NO need to know about any kind of sexuality yet, hetero or otherwise. Explaining homosexuality to them will almost invariably involve informing them of all the social and political craziness that comes with it, if only to warn the kids that such a topic can bring a hellstorm of discussion down on them.

I wouldn't discuss it with them for the same reason I wouldn't bring up heterosexuality until they're older - it's an involved topic that has no relevance to them. Let kids be kids. Let 'em think boys are icky and girls have cooties for now. When they're older and having more adult conversations, then you can breach the topic so they're at least informed.

No offense to your sister, OP, but I think she's pushing this issue on the kid too soon.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I was never taught of the Birds and bees, to be honest I wasn't really taught much at all about those subjects. Even if my parents tried, I would just switch the subject or not react to the whole thing, my parents relied me being a smart kid, understanding everything and or asking about these subjects if I was interested, I never were interested about these things. It is quite common in Finland to not teach kids about these things like that, not saying it is bad thing we don't or good things, it is just not part of our culture.

And yes I think talking about Hetero- and Homo- sex and relationships at young age is a good thing. Since the truth is that talking to kids about Homosexual people doesn't turn them in to one. The child knows from quite young age what he really is (Some studies done in which they interviewed Straight and Ga students about when they saw the "signs" (pardon the language, not native to english so don't know what word to use here) of their sexual orientation and results showed that the students had first realizations at the age of 8 and 10)... Bringing subjects up with kids at young age helps them to realize that people who are different are still people. And I need to point this out also: Kids aren't stupid and fragile as some people like to thing!!!

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
I'm considered radical in my stance. I feel sexual education should be given as early as middle school, and that homosexual relationships should be explained by someone who isn't blinded by some "God hates fags" bullshit they read about on the internet. People keep insisting that the best way to prevent promiscuity is by trying to make it obscure as possible and insist that it is is only something you do when you get married and that the best way to approach homosexuality is to pretend that it doesn't exist despite overwhelming evidence that THE OPPOSITE IS TRUE AND THAT SEXUAL EDUCATION IS EFFECTIVE.

Or to sum it up, yes. If you aren't getting awkward phone calls then either A. The teaching staff is clinically dead or B. The child is clinically dead. Awkward conversations due to the morbid curiosity of children is part of being a parent.

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
101flyboy said:
Timmaaaah said:
If you have to say "I have nothing against it" you do have something against it. Or, you wouldn't qualify it.

Homosexuality should be as "encouraged", whatever that means, as heterosexuality. Homosexuality is not any lesser than heterosexuality. It is not any less acceptable or a worse option.

Kids need guidance. Kids need help. Kids need direction. Telling a kid "figure it out on your own" is a recipe for DISASTER. Kids NEED love and support. Why would you deny a gay/lesbian kids that just because of their sexuality? Why deny the truth to children that they are MORE than one option, and the world and most people inhabiting it are not 100% straight? Gay/lesbian folks and gayness in general deserves the same respect as straight folks and heterosexuality.

Saying homosexuality is purely about fun is INSULTING. It's also about, you know, love, romance, togetherness. It's not just fucking to get off. It's no different than heterosexual sex, outside of the procreation aspect, and not all heterosexuals have kids. Sex isn't just for making babies. Yes, there is a need to be age appropriate, but LYING to kids is not an option. Kids deserve the truth.

Men and men and women and women love each other as do men and women. Being straight is not the only way of the world. And it's downright cruel to teach otherwise. Heterosexism is wrong.
You misunderstood me. I'm not saying it's purely about fun, but sex is pleasure, whether it's a deep connection or just casual, but seriously, did your parents tell you that it feels awesome? Most people just get taught what sex is and what it's for. Kids DO figure out who they are attracted to on their own. And I don't have anything against it AT ALL. I didn't say it was a lesser or worse option. Not telling them is not denying them an option. It's not teaching them otherwise if you only teach them about heterosexual sex. To oversimplify what I was saying is TERRIBLY close minded and ignorant. How dare you try to tell me that I think heterosexuality is the way of the world? How DARE you call me a heterosexist? Let me ask you a question, from what I posted, how could you possibly tell if I'm straight or gay? YOU CAN'T. Sex is about love, but kids FIGURE OUT WHO THEY LOVE ON THEIR OWN. Unless I'm mistaken, this forum was just about teaching them what gay sex is. I think you gotta teach them AFTER they've hit puberty if you need to teach them at all, because at that point they should have figured out if they're interested in girls or boys. If you give them the whole sex talk and add in that it can be done with boys at a young impressionable age it could affect the way they percieve attraction, causing them to not really be true to their own sexuality. The same thing happened with parents that say that hetero is the ONLY way, kids grew up confused, then they have the whole cliched idenity crisis, and end up becoming an IDIOT who no longer has their own personality because they try so desperately to fit the mould.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
[voice=redneck]We shouldn't teach them kids 'bout the queer'o'sexuals. Lessen we be teaching them to kill 'em![/voice]

I don't see what's wrong with kids knowing that homosexuals... Exist.

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
I don't care either way. If it is taught then it needs taught by an unbiased party that will put it in fair light not the "You are evil and god will smite you" bit we have from religion nutters(the ones that take it too far) but we also need a revamp of how its taught. If a teen is actually gay he should know hes ok aside from what some wierdos with an ancient book tell him. And if he gets picked on i hope he is able to knock that bastard right the fuck down.

LittleChone

May 17, 2010
I believe the daughter should be taught to respect all people no matter what their sexual instincts are.

Mar 22, 2010
101flyboy said:
Zorrok the Merciless said:
I'm not sure how this could be considered a troll...I'm serious. Homosexuality is on the same level as bestiality and necrophilia. They're all wrong, wierd things that shouldn't happen but do, but only among the strange and confused. Kids don't need to know about any of that weird stuff until they're old enough to understand crazy people.
Interesting. As far as I know, homosexuality doesn't directly harm something/someone, like necrophilia and bestiality does. Also, as far as I know, homosexuality isn't classified as an illness in any way and is rampant in nature. And, as far as I know, gay/lesbian peeps aren't confused, they are just not straight.

But maybe I'm just imagining these things.
Ya, and neither does having sex with a lamp or a pair of socks, but those are still stupid things to do and aren't sexual options. And whether something is classified as an illness or not is irrelevant. Why can't people just be considered messed up and crazy anymore without getting to blame it on an illness? Also, humans and things that are rampant in nature don't always go together. We wear clothes and fly spaceships now and nature...doesn't. Score 1 for humans! (As long as we aren't getting it on with people our gender). Lastly...when you have 2 puzzle pieces that don't fit together do you jam them together until they fit or find a different piece that is shaped to receive such a piece? FACE!!!

DisturbiaWolf13

Apr 15, 2009
101flyboy said:
I'm not sure how this could be considered a troll...I'm serious. Homosexuality is on the same level as bestiality and necrophilia. They're all wrong, wierd things that shouldn't happen but do, but only among the strange and confused. Kids don't need to know about any of that weird stuff until they're old enough to understand crazy people.
Interesting. As far as I know, homosexuality doesn't directly harm something/someone, like necrophilia and bestiality does. Also, as far as I know, homosexuality isn't classified as an illness in any way and is rampant in nature. And, as far as I know, gay/lesbian peeps aren't confused, they are just not straight.

But maybe I'm just imagining these things.
Ya, and neither does having sex with a lamp or a pair of socks, but those are still stupid things to do and aren't sexual options. And whether something is classified as an illness or not is irrelevant. Why can't people just be considered messed up and crazy anymore without getting to blame it on an illness? Also, humans and things that are rampant in nature don't always go together. We wear clothes and fly spaceships now and nature...doesn't. Score 1 for humans! (As long as we aren't getting it on with people our gender). Lastly...when you have 2 puzzle pieces that don't fit together do you jam them together until they fit or find a different piece that is shaped to receive such a piece? FACE!!!
Uhh...Wow I certainly didn't expect this. Ok let me begin by saying you haven't made any decent arguments here... at all. Therefore it's very difficult to argue with because it's just that stupid. So what is your evidence for homosexuality actually being wrong then? So far you've simply stated "it is" and then when someone called you out on it you merely re-stated that "it is" so back up your arguments please or you may as well not be here.