Team Fortress 2 Punishing Item Idlers, Rewarding the Rest

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
orannis62 said:
sirdanrhodes said:
I only did it for two god damn unlocks!
Than those two unlocks are all you'll lose. Why does the amount of time matter?
It's just at the time, they abandoned the achievement system for the new unlocks, so I said "Fuck it" and had the idler running until they fixed it.

Fun fact, I had the program running a solid 2 and a half days to get ONE unlock.

Jul 9, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
orannis62 said:
sirdanrhodes said:
I only did it for two god damn unlocks!
Than those two unlocks are all you'll lose. Why does the amount of time matter?
It's just at the time, they abandoned the achievement system for the new unlocks, so I said "Fuck it" and had the idler running until they fixed it.

Fun fact, I had the program running a solid 2 and a half days to get ONE unlock.
...okay. Still not seeing how the length of time is relevant. You aren't losing everything.

Dudeakoff

Jul 22, 2009
Aww, I only used the program for 30 minutes out of curiosity, and for that I lose out on the halo.

At least the drop rate has increased, but doesn't that sort of send out a mixed message? The idlers idled because of the low drop rate, so Valve has pretty much given the idlers what they wanted and punished them for responding to the initial problem in their own way.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
[sings in rough scottish accent]

"You'll take the low road and I'll take the high road and I'LL GET A HAT BEFORE YOU!"

YEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Lukeydoodly

Sep 9, 2008
Perhaps they shouldn't have reduced a fail system in the first place.

Or, when the forums were filled with threads asking if the program was allowed, they could have simply said no.

PyroZombie

Apr 24, 2009
I want.

I do.

I can't.

If they want to reward people, REWARD XBOX FAITHFULS WHO OWN CRAPPY COMPUTERS!

We're starting to get frequent updates, I know, but I want those unbelievable weapons that somehow works with the way i play now!

But now that i got that out of the way,

This is why i like valve, though it's sequel-production and glitch-repair branches needs quick smack upside the head when it comes to L4D*, but overall there a video game company that doesn't forget that fact that it's a video game company, and most of they're moves are for the relative purpose of improving they're games.

*(Yes, I have doubts about L4D2, I invite any hopeful to try to bring my hopes up when the last L4D update fucked the infected more then the humans, which is completely fucking the Zombie-Survival feel.)

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
Wow, TF2 players are a) obbessive and b) whiney moaners. After all what do they care about some hat or not it doesn't give any buffs, it doesn't...oooooooo shiney halo for me, look at it glow, it is precious to me.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
I like how the halos (ie the rewards),
1) look horrible
2) make you easy sniper targets
3) make you visible when invisible as spy
4) make you "glow in the dark"

WOW NOW I REALLY WANT ONE.
*sarcasm*

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
I admit I used it, I got no hats from it, and I lost one backburner out of the 7 and I still got my Batters Hat (that was legit)

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
HEEEEE-YAAAH! *Engie Dance*
Times like these I'm glad to be the majority! (Please see other random thread for minority comment)
sourceop dot com got owned!
I am gonna be sporting that halo around, especially at Darth Ninja because he used sourceOP fake idle server to get the hat that i wanted so dearly...(now is glad that he didn't install it)

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
ColdStorage said:
LtFerret said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
Haha, eat that PC users! I use the Xbox and don't... have... updates... *Cries*
Don't worry, you're not alone. *Hugs*
Mind if i join in ;_;
I've got a PS3 so my copy of TF2 was coded by EA, can I get a big hug?

:(
Don't worry that'll never happen again. Beecause the PS3 isn't getting any more Valve games.

I know this must have been said before, but this TF2 hat thing reminds me of The Simpsons' Malibu Stacy "Now with Hat!"

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
JRCB said:
I don't understand why people would try cheating the system for a hat in a video game. Seriously, if you find one, awesome. If you don't, oh well. Not like you can see it that often. Or that it makes a difference.
trust me, a firend wanted one and he played that game solid to get one ;) well he played it solid anyway...

either way he went mental everytime he didnt get one then celebrated when he got one, luckily he didnt cheat...or not that i know of, we shall see >:)

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
It was against the user agreement, so no one can say punishment isn't deserved. I do agree with some people who say Valve could of at least given some warnings out first, maybe punished those who continued to abuse the system but I honestly can't care either way. They are just hats, not like your getting money or even fame showered down on you from upon high.

I can also understand why they had to remove the items ill gained, word on the vine says they plan to put in a trading system and even give the option to add player chosen abilities to these hats and misc items. Idlers would then have a huge 'currency' to spend, all because they exploited a poorly designed system, and this isn't something that should be encouraged.

As for the system itself... it sucks on so many levels. While I understand rewarding people for playing the game I have to wonder who thought it would be a good idea to let a random number generator do it! I'm a jinx, it means no matter how bloody long I play the game I will never be rewarded for it.... I hate number generators. There are far better ways to offer a reward system that doesn't involve blind luck as a factor.

Time spent in game would be a good one, the way I envision it working is simple:
Every X amount of hours as a certain class will give you an class appropriate item to reward your dedication to that class. Maybe 10 hours, something fairly easy to get if you really like that class.
Then Y amount of hours as a class can give you a special item for that class, such as a hat or Misc time. Say every fifty hours you get this reward and given that more and more hats are becoming available it should take a good long while to collect them all.
You can even add a special item that is only achieved after Z amount of time. Say 100 or 200 hours as a class, something only a few people would obtain, to show that you have played the game for waaaaaay too long.

Also: All achievements achieved should give you a specific hat, only obtained through solving all the achievements, for this special occasion. Given of course you didn't cheat to get them all, however one would find a way to police that.

Rewarding the people who didn't cheat: Good... WE should get some recognition for the fact we have struggled against an unjust system! Wonder when they will go after the achievement servers though....

PS: 348.1 Hours played total... number of hats minus the halo: 0! What can I say, me and random number generators don't mix.

Crystal Cuckoo

Jan 6, 2009
Well, at least they didn't ban people for just spectating for days on end =D.
Not that it would have mattered... This was my first "hat" ever.

GrimRox

Feb 22, 2008
Has anyone else heard of a mod that someone made to replace the Halo with the word "fag"?

http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=801917&page=33