Team Fortress 2 Punishing Item Idlers, Rewarding the Rest

May 7, 2008
Kiutu said:
Item drops? Is that like, PC only or something?
yup its suppose to be better (apparently)

and i guess if your using steam they can find out though downloads? ..but um...shouldn't they be working on hl3 and other games rather than this lol

May 7, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
LtFerret said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
Haha, eat that PC users! I use the Xbox and don't... have... updates... *Cries*
Don't worry, you're not alone. *Hugs*
Mind if i join in ;_;
Room for one more? *tears rolling down face*
;_________; ...hey guys its ok at least we don't get blue screen of death...>.>....

T__T...wait...it still hurts >.<

;;_____;;!!

sov68n

May 17, 2009
I just read this article and then hopped in to get my awesome new hat only to find out that it was a lame halo. I played for like five seconds and found my first real hat. ^_^

Thalien

Jan 16, 2009
AceDiamond said:
Zayren said:
I'm a bit fed up with Valve right now. Not because I lost Texas Slim's Dome Shine, the worst hat in the game and able to be worn without having it with a little glitch, but because of the way they handled this. It's like they're trying to piss off their active players.
I'm an active player and I'm not pissed off. Maybe it's because, oh, I dunno, I'm not a filthy cheating idler

But seriously. only 4% of users affected, meaning only 4% of them cheated in this way, meaning that it's not a serious hit if they stop playing. Cause they already bought the game.
Aside from the fact that all the idler did was allow you to be "ingame" without having TF2 open so that people with worse pcs could idle instead of people like me who can idle with TF2 open and able to do everything else completely fine.

That 4% is certainly not 4%. At peak times there were around 11000 people idling while yesterday 28k players playing was the peak of simultanious players. So it's 5% of people who have bought TF2 with the orange pack or tried it but its a massive number of active players. It's also the majority of the competetive community.

Not like it matters for me, I lose my hatless sniper hat which was tbh just terrible. They also deleted some items I have from achievements but they're getting added again later on.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I'm off to go check my inventory and hopefully run around with a halo.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Yay! I get a free hat! even though i haven't played in almost a month.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
lawl, that 4.5% of the player base is counting every copy of tf2 or orange box for PC sold. if you jump in a game, you'll notice that about 1/3 of the players have a halo. means the rest idled.... GG valve. Also, this has started causing people to kick players for not having the halo. so now we're dividing the player base. again, GG valve. way to go.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
uppitycracker said:
lawl, that 4.5% of the player base is counting every copy of tf2 or orange box for PC sold. if you jump in a game, you'll notice that about 1/3 of the players have a halo. means the rest idled.... GG valve. Also, this has started causing people to kick players for not having the halo. so now we're dividing the player base. again, GG valve. way to go.
1/3 of the players wear the hat. I have one but don't wear it, it only really looks good on medics.

From my mornings experience no one cares if you have a halo or not.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
The thing that really confuses me is that they're not doing anything about the idle servers. The program was just something that let you idle while saving your system resources for other things. You can still idle, if you want, just not using this program.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Fluffles said:
I like how the halos (ie the rewards),
1) look horrible
2) make you easy sniper targets
3) make you visible when invisible as spy
4) make you "glow in the dark"

WOW NOW I REALLY WANT ONE.
*sarcasm*
About the 2, 3 and 4:

Holy Valve Fail, Gabe!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Abedeus said:
Fluffles said:
1) look horrible

*sarcasm*
About the 2, 3 and 4:

Holy Valve Fail, Gabe!
Yes because as creative director Gabe is the one in charge of coding all this stuff. No wait, that's wrong.

I don't see why people are so pissed off. You complain about not having hats, you complain about hats not serving any purpose, now one serves a purpose. I really am just finding all of this more reasons to praise Valve for not putting up with whiny bullshit and more reasons to just think the entire TF2 community has become jaded and has an undeserved sense of self-entitlement.

Also, the option is always there to not wear it. It doesn't even take up space in your backpack. Sheesh. I have one. I'm not wearing it. Because I don't see a reason to. I see it as a funny little gag gift that Valve handed out. Everyone else seems to see it as a backhanded compliment. Perhaps you're all doing it wrong, and need to stop being so damn serious about a game

zahr

Mar 26, 2009
http://zip.4chan.org/v/imgboard.html

The shitstorms it's generating on /v/ are hilarious.

Well played, Gabe.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Abedeus said:
Fluffles said:
1) look horrible

*sarcasm*
About the 2, 3 and 4:

Holy Valve Fail, Gabe!
Yes because as creative director Gabe is the one in charge of coding all this stuff. No wait, that's wrong.

I don't see why people are so pissed off. You complain about not having hats, you complain about hats not serving any purpose, now one serves a purpose. I really am just finding all of this more reasons to praise Valve for not putting up with whiny bullshit and more reasons to just think the entire TF2 community has become jaded and has an undeserved sense of self-entitlement.

Also, the option is always there to not wear it. It doesn't even take up space in your backpack. Sheesh. I have one. I'm not wearing it. Because I don't see a reason to. I see it as a funny little gag gift that Valve handed out. Everyone else seems to see it as a backhanded compliment. Perhaps you're all doing it wrong, and need to stop being so damn serious about a game
I said "Gabe" because he's the CEO, no? His dev team, his game.

It's just that when they make an ugly hat that only harms you, as a way of saying "thank you for not cheating"... It feels kinda degrading, no? It's like their award for our honesty was us being an easier target to kill.

Not to mention that it was a really last-minute thing, considering how Spy's cloak doesn't work on the hat ;d

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
This is so gay, they never said ANYTHING about the idle program and then BAM everything gone (lost half of my weapons while I have the fucking achievements..)

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Abedeus said:
AceDiamond said:
Abedeus said:
Fluffles said:
1) look horrible

*sarcasm*
About the 2, 3 and 4:

Holy Valve Fail, Gabe!

It's just that when they make an ugly hat that only harms you, as a way of saying "thank you for not cheating"... It feels kinda degrading, no? It's like their award for our honesty was us being an easier target to kill.

Not to mention that it was a really last-minute thing, considering how Spy's cloak doesn't work on the hat ;d
So basically you're pissed off that they created something really quickly and didn't have time to make sure it worked, just like everything else they've updated into the game (well aside from the quickly part). Maybe it's because I always expect this to happen but, yeah my point is things could've been a lot worse. They tried to do something nice and kinda had to hurl it out the door quickly. I don't exactly harbor ill will towards them for it.

And no, it is not his responsibility to make sure the code works. As I learned a while back the QA team can point out a bug but it ultimately is the programmers who have to make sure it's fixed. It'd be like blaming Kaz Hirai for everything wrong with any SCEA game.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Abedeus said:
AceDiamond said:
Abedeus said:
Fluffles said:
1) look horrible

*sarcasm*
About the 2, 3 and 4:

Holy Valve Fail, Gabe!

So basically you're pissed off that they created something really quickly and didn't have time to make sure it worked, just like everything else they've updated into the game (well aside from the quickly part). Maybe it's because I always expect this to happen but, yeah my point is things could've been a lot worse. They tried to do something nice and kinda had to hurl it out the door quickly. I don't exactly harbor ill will towards them for it.

And no, it is not his responsibility to make sure the code works. As I learned a while back the QA team can point out a bug but it ultimately is the programmers who have to make sure it's fixed. It'd be like blaming Kaz Hirai for everything wrong with any SCEA game.
Where did I ever say that it's his responsibility to make sure the code works?

His company's game's developement team's fail? His.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Abedeus said:
AceDiamond said:
Abedeus said:
AceDiamond said:
Abedeus said:
Fluffles said:
1) look horrible

*sarcasm*
About the 2, 3 and 4:

Holy Valve Fail, Gabe!

Where did I ever say that it's his responsibility to make sure the code works?

His company's game's developement team's fail? His.
So in other words you are saying it's his responsibility. That is your line of thinking. Nevermind the fact that before you even reach Gabe you have at least one other person in charge of everyone working on TF2.