Teen Arrested for Home-Made "Hot or Not" List on Facebook

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Ok, this kid is a jumped up, smart arse ****, you'll get no argument from me there but seriously? Getting the Police involved?
Exactly this. Sure, the kid's an ass, but there's no need to bring the police in. Suspend him from school, give him detention, whatever, but there's no need to make a case out of it. Just a dumb kid being a dumb kid.

Efrate

Apr 9, 2011
What strikes me if this is the 3rd time he has done such, being a kind of yearly ritual, what makes this one different? Why do something now, when it has happened before? Arresting, and any charges of criminal activity are way beyond the scope of punishment, expelling even might be taking it a bit too far, but for a 3rd time, provided something happened the other time I can see that at least.

And yes, we've all done something like this and told are friends, but rarely did we distribute it at school. I think I ma have saw one written list, and never was it handed out to people, its what someone did in study hall that passed between maybe a dozen people.

It isn't libel/slander in the legal sense because its the equivalent of yearbook comments. It is not going to effect them in any capacity relating to their future. Can they not be homecoming queen because someone wrote something about them? Does it in any way effect their advancement in school? Are they excluded from something because of it?

If those girls who were distraught appeared on news with no ways to disguise their identity, they're just getting some screen time and aren't too hurt by it.

Also, if it was released to cheering from the masses, I don't think it matters much to the majority of the school, which is farther distancing the libel case. And no prospective employer of college is going to look at a prank and exclude the named people. They'll check your disciplinary records, GPA, and extracurricular activities and that's it. Everything else that happened in High School has no bearing on your future from an outside perspective. No one in the professional world cares, unless its local and the person who may be hiring you specifically holds it against you, which that person's problem and they're discriminating.

Also, as far as legal systems, I can bet that one of the girls family is connected to local law enforcement somehow. There is no need to make an example of this as a police officer. At most its the cops coming and saying cut it out to scare you. Corruption exists in the US legal system, or rather people exist, and people are just that, people. No one follows the letter of the law exactly no matter their position. Their personal feelings and loyalties pervade their work to some degree, which means they make decisions which are not 100% in line with the letter of the law.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I love how people say, "We must stop bullying and stuff," then when some takes a stand, "You're being cruel, it's just a joke." I for one am glad he arrested. Perhaps seal him in a room with those girls.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Hello, and welcome to over-reaction theater.

This is the most retarded thing I have ever seen. Some people got there feelings hurt? That's high school - deal with it. Someone called you a slut? If it's not true, then it shouldn't bother you. I got told I was a piece of shit every day at high school; people told me to kill myself. Did I get them expelled? Nope. Because that's what high school is for most people.

You take shit, you do your time and then you're out of it and you get on with your real life. At best this kid should have been suspended for a week or two, nothing else.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
The kids an egotistical idiot, not a criminal. He needs a snookerball filled sock to the scrotum, not a criminal record.
well actually, this could very easily be considered sexual harrasment, and that IS against the law, i'd certainly feel that way if i were one of those girls

Akukaishi

Dec 19, 2009
I will preface my opinion by stating that this kid is, in fact, a douchebag. Of course, he's a bloody teenager. It goes with the territory. A teenage male, no less. What he did was inappropriate.

That said, what the sodding hell is wrong with our country when things like this receive LEGAL ATTENTION. We're wasting tax dollars to censure first amendment rights now? This is, at most, a Civil case, nothing the Justice Department should be touching with a fifty foot pole.

If I was that kid, I'd lawyer up and fight it tooth and nail.

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
But... no crime was broken. Anything he posted is baseless supposition and opinion. There is no crime being committed here. He didn't give out personal information such as home address or schedule information, nothing that could be used in the commission of a felony... This is stupid.

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
What the hell? I mean, this kid is an ass, but not a criminal. He's a teenage boy, for gods sake. It should not be a crime to be offensive. Freedom of speech "guaranteed" in the First amendment is dead. Although I don't think he should've posted such a list, he should have every right to. I can see where anonymous is coming from, though I disagree with some of their actions, they can do good too (Wikileaks, Kenny Glen being caught with their help, etc).

Poofs

Nov 16, 2009
Well its officially happened, free speech is dead on the internet as well as everywhere else

might as well get out the Revolvers and Shotguns now, it'll only get worse.

I mean honestly, he broke absolutely 0 laws

zander93

Mar 29, 2011
To the parent that is happy the kid is getting arrested: Look at your child in 5 years and you will be crying...because the kid was right.
Karma is a ***** ain't it?
Oh, by the way it goes against his first amendment so he can take it to supreme court and win.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Zer0Saber said:
Going to juvi for calling people names on facebook, when did peoples spines dissolve.
This^. Seriously, what the hell. If it had been a girl rating boys, would she have gotten arrested?

Korihor

Free Thinker
Dec 9, 2010
Eri said:
Anarien said:
Eri said:
And if these girls didn't want their sexual acts known, maybe they shouldn't talk about them or do them.
That's a hell of a lot of victim-blaming and slut-shaming. That's like saying if a woman didn't want to be raped, she shouldn't have worn a short skirt. Which is patriarchical nonsense.

Every person has a right to do with his or her own body what they wish and also a right to privacy and to not be harassed, sexually or otherwise.
As I said above

I shouldn't have to lock my home OR my car at night because no one has the right to touch my stuff but I still do because I'm not stupid. Just like it's stupid to wear skimpy clothing in a dangerous neighborhood meanwhile expecting sympathy if you get mugged or raped. Human nature is human nature and if you don't take every precaution available to you, you're just being dumb.
What are you talking about? Look up the statistical information at RAIIN.
Rape is about power and control, not sex.
Rapists do not even remember what their victim was wearing the vast majority of the time.
Rapists come from all walks of life and at all ages.
A woman is far more likely to be raped by some one she knows than a stranger.
You are clearly biased on the male chauvinism side.
Do not have a wife, daughter, or a sister because she may very likely one day be a victim, as all women may be.
http://www.rainn.org/get-information/sexual-assault-prevention/avoiding-dangerous-situations
http://www.rainn.org/statistics
http://www.rwu.edu/studentlife/studentservices/counselingcenter/sexualassault/rapemyths.htm

Chaos Inverse

Apr 1, 2010
Such of waste of taxpayer money and officers and courts time. Kid is an asshole maybe, but at most he deserves suspension for passing it around school.

Chelsea O'shea

May 20, 2010
these cops are pussies,the should be busting a meth lab instead,or maybe actually going after gang leaders....

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
As to the legality of the thing: They appear to be interpreting "disorderly conduct" very broadly indeed. 95% chance it gets thrown out of court and we see a countersuit against the police department for an infringement of the boy's 1st ammendment rights.

As to whether it's right: The U.S. allows Neo-Nazis and the KKK to hold public rallies, even giving police protection at many of these events, yet will arrest a school kid because he's a bit of a dick? Either you're lunatics or I'm missing something. I really really hope I'm missing something.

Quantom Quak

The Source of All Evil
Jun 12, 2009
This is just weird. I went to a high school in California for a while and something close to this happened about twice a week, but no one seemed to care.
I just can't imagine why anyone would do that. In private with friends, it's a bit better, because then you can trust word not getting out. But still, the count on the list amazes me.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
Wow. That kid was an idiot, but I don't think he needed to be arrested and charged, and I certainly don't think a three month investigation was required.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Wow...I dunno what pisses me off more, the kid for doing it in the first place or the fact that he is potentially going to jail for it. To quote Professor Farnsworth, I don't want to live on this planet anymore.