Teen Arrested for Home-Made "Hot or Not" List on Facebook

lcyw20

Sep 4, 2010
What the boy did was wrong. We must take into account that he is a teenager, who has a tendency to do stupid things. While I agree with that the school should take action, I do not agree expulsion is the best course of action. Counselling is more appropriate--he needs to learn why what he did is wrong. Expelling him will not help him learn. What I really don't understand is why the courts have to get involved. Crazy USA, and I certainly don't agree with that father. Sure, I would be upset if my daughter were put on display and paraded like an inanimate object, and demand something to be done, but I am fair, and not vengeful. I never agreed with the justice system to get involved to start with, and I definitely do not want to add to the list of charges.

On a side note, It is only expected that inflammatory remarks, and only inflammatory remarks, would be reported by Fox news, as indicated by the source of this article. You can see how balanced the reporting is. It goes into no detail about the boy's family's response, not his defence lawyer. Of course what's missing is the so-called expert making remarks to help build up the entertainment value. It is their way. You want real news? Go watch Al Jazaerra. You want a more (not perfect, mind) balanced analysis of these stories? I recommend the Young Turks, and MSNBC's Rachel Maddow Show or Cenk's show.

dakorok

Dec 8, 2010
This seems like an over-reaction to a massive degree. This is basically some kid compiling his school's "which girls are hot" and various gossip. It's not different than a lot of tabloid magazines.

I think there's something that we must be missing here.

Doctor Glocktor

Aug 1, 2009
Expelling him was a bit much. Arresting him? That's just being a douchebag.

What happened to America's obsession with proving their 'The bigger man'?

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
EcksTeaSea said:
This is the stupidest thing in the world. Arresting someone for things they posted? What a great use of money and time. Since when is talking trash about people a serious offense? I am amazed that they actually arrested him, I should be in jail as well then.
Agreed. I suppose technically it is organised defamation, but you know, the father of one of the girls' was probably an important person, a man known around town. The boy pissed in the face of too many people and thus has been arrested over an assuredly juvenile act, but hardly one really warranting a court trial. People trade in gossip all the time, especially on facebook, send in the police for all of that too I say, or drop the charges.

I hope he keeps posting his opinions, don't you Americans have something about free speech? Boy probably got too close to the truth, anthropology and sociology have long been aware of the power of the outsider's lens, this boy sounds like he has it.

benbenthegamerman

May 10, 2009
danpascooch said:
To people saying he didn't break the law, I think this could count as libel (written slander) since he supposedly posted things about their sexual habits that (presumably) weren't true
If he can be arrested for Libel, then so can WBC.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
benbenthegamerman said:
danpascooch said:
To people saying he didn't break the law, I think this could count as libel (written slander) since he supposedly posted things about their sexual habits that (presumably) weren't true
If he can be arrested for Libel, then so can WBC.
Actually, I don't think there's one reported case of Westboro defaming anyone. Their signs don't contain any statements about any specific individual. Nothing that would come even close to defamation.

Don't sleep on Westboro. They may be a lot of things but ignorant of the law isn't one of them. Fred Phelps is a former attorney (now disbarred) and his daughter (a current attorney) successfully argued their case before the Supreme Court. They know their way around the First Amendment.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
is common sense a part of this generation bundle pack?

if it isn't i fear my dignity is going to go quite rapidly

GroovyV

Feb 23, 2011
I'm sure there were some people possibly offended, or hurt, by the list, but even so, I have a feeling this guy chose specific chicks, not your usual innocent flower (though he could have).

Still, part of me really wants to salute the guy. NOT ALL! But many girls i know have this habit of acting however the hell they please, and then being hurt and grating on nerves when they get called on it. Again, NOT ALL GIRLS, just many, and quite a few i personally know.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
WHAT! A kid made a top-50 list of the hottest girls at his school!

Let me just see this and save it and download it-

*Hours/Days later* Gasp! I will not stand for this, I shall publicly defame you, sirrah! The police shall be notified of this immediately(unless of course the police are the ones actively searching kids' facebook accounts for things to bring them in on in the first place) and we shall shut down your operation and not allow you to say anything, but of course we aren't biased, we're the good guys! It's a good thing we were here to stop any evil being done!

---

Immature, but then that word defines kids. I think he was wrong to make it public and spread it around, but other than that, I doubt there was much harm done.

Also, "The designated drunk"? If this is the level of the titles he's giving around, they may as well have not posted it, I can think of much worse things kids could call girls.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Ok, this kid is a jumped up, smart arse ****, you'll get no argument from me there but seriously? Getting the Police involved? I would have thought professional law enforcement had better things to do than charge some prick teenager, especially in a country where guns are handed out like sweets.
Oh yeah, guns are just falling out of the sky over here man. I don't know what to do with myself anymore.

RolandOfGilead

Dec 17, 2010
AnteGravity said:
This pretty much demonstrates why Feminism is still strongly needed in Western society. Treating young girls like grades of meat and rating them on their sexual characteristics like it was the only thing they would ever be worth is so grotesquely abhorrent.

It definitely warrants legal action. This idiot caused a great deal of grievous mental and emotional anguish on so many of these girls publicly. That kind of behavior can not be condoned by any authority that hopes to remain credible.
I am a Feminist.
I get rated on my sexual characteristics every time I ask a girl out. People constantly rate other people on all sorts of factors, it's what humans do.
Also, nowhere in this story is it stated that anyone believes a person's sexual characteristics are the only thing that matters.
I can think of no law that he broke as being a douchebaggy little jerk isn't a crime yet.
While I honestly would like to see such legislation, then comes the problem of defining the illicit behaviour one wishes to punish.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Um, wow. So someone makes a list of all the girls in school, rating them from hottest to ugliest, and the whole thing blows up in his face, and everyone overreacts, and the police get involved and he gets arrested? That's just fucked up. Honestly, that's so fucked up, it sounds like something South Park would do. Actually, come to think of it ... wait, let me go check something ... *shuffles through stuff* ... Aha, found it [http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s11e14-the-list]! This is a South Park episode! I mean the genders are switched but otherwise it's pretty fucking similar isn't it? Dear god what a world we live in ...

McMo0^

Dec 21, 2007
There's got to be something more to this. You can't make a hot or not list and get arrested for it. I guess there is something in the list which we won't get to see, but is the actual reason the kids been arrested, not because of the list itself, because otherwise there is no crime...

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
...he danced around and warned that "women are the future, unless we stop them now."
Okay, I'm sorry, I know he's supposed to be the bad guy, and that one admin is prolly gonna ban me for this, but...

That's the funniest damn thing I've heard all day.

He may be a loser making decidedly poor and generally sexist opinions, but that's an excellent turn of phrase.

At any rate, I'm uncertain as to what the charges are regarding. If it's the existence of the list itself, then this is idiotic. If its because he passed the list out at school, well... Yeah. That's disruptive and obnoxious. Disorderly is a fair cop.

Oh well. Another douchebag swings for notoriety and everyone lets him get his fill

Solstar100

Mar 7, 2011
Has anyone thought to check,

Are the things he wrote correct???

i'm 26 but i remember a fair number of girls in my high school who were sluts and who would definatly deserve this kind of treatment.

anyone else think perhaps he hit a little close to a nerve and thats why its such an outrage??

TheGuiggleMonster

Feb 11, 2011
I want to high-five the kid that did this. I think I understand why he did it and then said what he said at the end. He basically means that we have the right to rate each others' sexual attractiveness and there is no reason why we shouldn't. He probably didn't do this to offend women or dehumanise them or anything like that, he was just making a statement that in a nice society we should all equally be allowed to do this. It's completely harmless and it can go both ways. If a girl did this to all the boys, no one would care. He is fighting for equality and doesn't think that the law should be in favour of women. I know because I feel very much the same way. Even if girls choose not to do it, they do have the right to.