Teen Arrested for Home-Made "Hot or Not" List on Facebook

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Probably some angry parents upset that the world now knows about how slutty their daughter is.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
AnteGravity said:
This is trying to whitewash the abhorrent behavior this individual deliberately invested a lot of time and effort into which resulted in 50 young girls being shamed and horrified in front of their parents and peers.

If your own daughter got posted on the internet and was on page 3 of a pamphlet being handed out at their school with her portrait with a caption of "Most likely to catch AIDS! LULZ!" naturally you would be pissed. If not, you probably would be a horrible parent. Either way.
The parents, and girls, have every right to be pissed off. I would fully support them in whatever reasonable means of retribution they happen to choose.

They do not have the right to involve the police and/or legal system in a situation where no laws were broken.

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
isn't this all a bit much for a stupid high school stunt?

A "stupid high school stunt"? Are you serious? Falling on your ass because you tried to ride a bike down some stairs qualifies as a "stupid high school stunt".

This was a calculated attack on adolescent females in a disgusting manner that showed no regard for their well-being or reputation.This was exploitation of minors, sexist, misogynist bullying and defamation. This kid got off way too lightly.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Just have the kid apologize and do some other shit. But please dont arrest him. Thats entirely un called for

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
I'm going to quote the honourable Homer Simpson here:

"...and nothing was hurt except feelings...."

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
Agayek said:
They do not have the right to involve the police and/or legal system in a situation where no laws were broken.

No laws broken?
Read up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harassment
http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=13495

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
The kid was expelled.Great. But the arrest might be going a bit too far. Surely there are worst crimes deserving punishment out there.

Zay-el

Apr 4, 2011
Was it douchy and dumb? Yes, very much so.

Did it deserve such a reaction? No. Possible reprehension by the school for distributing it, but I see no reason to involve the police.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Anarien said:
Agayek said:

No laws broken?
Read up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harassment
http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=13495
First off, that list is at best Defamation. Unless there's more to the story where he followed the girls around screaming about it, there was no harassment.

Second, Defamation is a civil offense, completely unpunishable by jail time and it requires actual, provable damages being done before the suit can be successful. At best, the girls can argue that he may possibly have damaged their careers in the future and be awarded some small amount of damages for that.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
internetzealot1 said:
And that's the First Amendment for you, folks; only applicable as long as you don't offend women.
Not really my friend.

Congress shall make no law ... prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press...
Congress didn't make a law saying "You cannot say nasty things about your female classmates"

I cannot say anything and everything I want without consequence.

That being said, I still think this is stupid to arrest the kid. And the father mentioned is being over-protective

Venereus

May 9, 2010
No matter what you think of the boy, this sort of stuff can't possibly be illegal. Isn't his douchbaggery protected by Free Speech? A lot more people than 50 are offended by neo-nazis, yet they roam free.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Arachon said:
Dear Internet lusers. Please be aware of the fact that everything you put on the Internet is public information, public sites on the Internet is not a suitable place to store files or information that you do not wish anyone to see, or that could get you in trouble.

That is all.

OT: Honestly, the guy got what was coming to him, that this sort of thing happens in the first place is another can of worms, but I can only say that I think it's disgusting.
This.

Also, I believe this equals slander, yes?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
I'm sorry, exactly what law constitutes this as an offense? Isn't this shit covered by free speech and stuff?

Don't get me wrong, the guy's an asshole, but I see nothing here that would warrant his arrest. Can someone explain to me, in legal terms, what "disorderly" conduct is defined as?

edit: Never mind, I suppose it counts as slander. Fair enough then.

Snow Fire

Fluffy Neko Kemono
Jan 19, 2009
Shouldn't it be illegal to be arrested and charged for this reason. If someone insulted me and spread it across the web, I'd take it as a badge of honor. All it would do is give me a sense of superiority. Maybe because I have surreal self-esteem, and my ego doesn't deflate from some name calling, but instead just becomes more inflated.

Sorry, but this whole affair has me steaming a bit, I find this all too silly.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Anarien said:
isn't this all a bit much for a stupid high school stunt?

A "stupid high school stunt"? Are you serious? Falling on your ass because you tried to ride a bike down some stairs qualifies as a "stupid high school stunt".

This was a calculated attack on adolescent females in a disgusting manner that showed no regard for their well-being or reputation.This was exploitation of minors, sexist, misogynist bullying and defamation. This kid got off way too lightly.
This wasn't a calculated anything. He formed a list of (presumably) desirable girls and rated them all, then proceeded to tell everyone about it. Just about every male kid in high school does the exact same thing. The only difference in this case is that this idiot put it to paper and distributed it.

There was no attack on anything. The only potential for damage is a future prospective employer of one of the girls finding the list and deciding to not hire them because of it. That is it.

Was it a nice thing to do? Fuck no. Should he have been punished for it? Yes, he most certainly should have. Should the legal system have gotten involved at all? Not in the fucking least.

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
Eri said:
And if these girls didn't want their sexual acts known, maybe they shouldn't talk about them or do them.
That's a hell of a lot of victim-blaming and slut-shaming. That's like saying if a woman didn't want to be raped, she shouldn't have worn a short skirt. Which is patriarchical nonsense.

Every person has a right to do with his or her own body what they wish and also a right to privacy and to not be harassed, sexually or otherwise.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
So where can I get this list in case I should ever visit Oak Park, Illinois I want to see the devilish things he called these poor girls?
It's... for a law... ish... thing. Totally related, I swear!

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
funguy2121 said:
Arachon said:
Dear Internet lusers. Please be aware of the fact that everything you put on the Internet is public information, public sites on the Internet is not a suitable place to store files or information that you do not wish anyone to see, or that could get you in trouble.

That is all.

OT: Honestly, the guy got what was coming to him, that this sort of thing happens in the first place is another can of worms, but I can only say that I think it's disgusting.
This.

Also, I believe this equals slander, yes?
Technically it's libel. Slander applies to falsehoods in the spoken word, while libel applies to text. Both fall under the broader category of "Defamation" though, so that's generally the word to use.

That said, Defamation is a civil offense and as such cannot be punished with jail time. Only a fine (usually reparations made to the victim and official retraction).

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
The father of one of the girls who appeared on the list said he was pleased that the kid was arrested but expressed concern that a disorderly conduct charge was inadequate for a "very serious offense that affected many people." Nonetheless, he added, "I'm gratified that the investigation continued, and that charges are being filed. I'm hopeful they consider additional charges as they gather more evidence."
This man is clearly a communist out to undermine our god-given right to express our opinions. I propose that the cops arrest him for this very serious offense that can affect many people. Further, I am positive that they'll consider additional charges as more evidence from their investigation comes to light.

See, two can play the spineless, retard game.

OT: From the info posted, that list didn't have the girls real names or photos of them, so the way to know who was who would involve knowing the girl's appearance, sexual preferences, and other miscellaneous info (and if you know all that then your probably her boyfriend). Is it still offensive? Yes. Is it bad enough for juvi? Hell no.