Teen Arrested for Home-Made "Hot or Not" List on Facebook

Harrowdown

Jan 11, 2010
Dunno about him getting arrested, but the little shit deserved something, at any rate. Maybe this'll scare the douchebag out of him.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
I agree this kid is a douche bag, but I can't believe someone would attempt to prosecute him in a criminal court.

What crime occurred here, really? This is the dark side of cyber bullying laws.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
zeldagirl said:
Dr Snakeman said:
ViaGalactica said:
Epic, butthurt snip
I'm sorry, but the word "slut" is not "oppressive". It's an unkind, gender-specific derogatory term for a promiscuous woman. It's wrong to talk that way about someone, but it is not the kind of hate speech that you seem to be suggesting.

"Slut" is not "oppressive"? Really now? It's used to shame women from being proud of their sexuality. You as a man do not have any right to tell women what they can or cannot determine is oppressive - you are not the one being oppressed!
Comparisons to slavery provide strong rhetoric, but they also reduce the credibility of your argument. It's also a serious issue with the gay rights movement.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
This really shouldn't be a criminal offense. That said, I wish some of the girl's boyfriends kicked the shit out of him.

Whaaaaaat a douche.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
According to reports, after distributing the list at his former school the student addressed an "impromptu gathering" of cheering students, during which he danced around and warned that "women are the future, unless we stop them now."
I am not sure why, but this part really made me laugh.

zeldagirl said:
"Slut" is not "oppressive"? Really now? It's used to shame women from being proud of their sexuality.
Sad but true. Especially as the same is not used for guys. There was a guy in college referred to as a "Man Whore" which, even when used, was made to sound more like a compliment than an insult, both by guys and girls.

Which reminds me of something, girls call other girls sluts too, which is very strange. Then again, girls always seem nastier to other girls than guys are.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Interesting to see the reaction here.

The question I have - was this free speech? Perhaps it was libel or slander? Should the kid be kicked out of school? Sure he evidently violated the social contract of the school but is that enough? Yeah I think so.

Was it really criminal? Quite possibly.

Is it something I expected to see on the Escapist? Not really.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Hive Mind said:
O maestre said:
i see no crime here... what the hell happened to freedom of speach the internet has so much more bile than this hormonal teenagers insignificant list. ridiculous...
The student printed th list out and handed it out to everyone in the school, before then parading around shouting sexist remarks. He committed slander. A crime.

Read the article, not just the header.
A) sexism =/= slander

B) You really think he deserves to go to adult prison? What the fuck is wrong with you?

C) If you'd taken your own advice and read the entire article, you'd see that it's pretty clearly satire. He called a meeting and announced "women are the future, unless we stop them now." Satire is protected as free speech.

He's 16. Prison time for this at any age is absurd, but at 16? Seriously? Seriously?!?

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Legion said:
Andy Chalk said:
According to reports, after distributing the list at his former school the student addressed an "impromptu gathering" of cheering students, during which he danced around and warned that "women are the future, unless we stop them now."
I am not sure why, but this part really made me laugh.
Because it's satire, which is protected as free speech. It's meant as a joke, and you got it. Congratulations. You have a sense of humor, unlike most of the humorless fuckbags who've been commenting so far.

zeldagirl

Mar 15, 2011
subtlefuge said:
zeldagirl said:
Dr Snakeman said:
ViaGalactica said:
Epic, butthurt snip
I'm sorry, but the word "slut" is not "oppressive". It's an unkind, gender-specific derogatory term for a promiscuous woman. It's wrong to talk that way about someone, but it is not the kind of hate speech that you seem to be suggesting.

"Slut" is not "oppressive"? Really now? It's used to shame women from being proud of their sexuality. You as a man do not have any right to tell women what they can or cannot determine is oppressive - you are not the one being oppressed!
Comparisons to slavery provide strong rhetoric, but they also reduce the credibility of your argument. It's also a serious issue with the gay rights movement.

Not only did I not mention slavery any where in my post, slavery is NOT THE ONLY FORM OF OPPRESSION.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppression

"The term oppression in such instances to refer to the subordination of a given group or social category by unjust use of force, authority, or societal norms in order to achieve the effects noted above. When institutionalized, formally or informally, it may achieve the dimension of systematic oppression.

In psychology, racism, sexism and other prejudices are often studied as individual beliefs which, although not necessarily oppressive in themselves, can lead to oppression if they are codified in law or become parts of a culture."

The fact that women are shamed for enjoying sex, or called sluts, where men are not, is an oppressive behavior that is perpetuated by society.

And I'm not even going to touch the fact that you think gay individuals trying to champion for rights they are being legally denied is not a form of oppression. Your ignorance is truly astounding.

zeldagirl

Mar 15, 2011
Legion said:
Which reminds me of something, girls call other girls sluts too, which is very strange. Then again, girls always seem nastier to other girls than guys are.
Internalized misogyny. Women are taught that slut is an insult, and they call each other that. I hate that, and don't think it makes it right.

And while girls are nasty to other girls, I wouldn't say 'nastier'. People in general are nasty. Just look at this thread.

zeldagirl

Mar 15, 2011
My biggest problem with what has happened is what he is being charged with - disorderly conduct is a stretch. Sexual harassment, however, is obviously what has happened here. And yes, there are sexual harassment laws that would protect these women.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
This has the 'Officially a bad idea' logo stamped all over it. Punishment seems a tad excessesive, but then again, I wasn't on the list. Probably.

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
Xzi said:
That's definitely taking it too far. Expulsion from school is more than enough. What law did he actually break here? None, unless they bend the law to the point of near-breaking. Was it a dumb and hateful thing to do? Sure, but the police and court system should not be involved in any way.
Your logic and reason has no place in this court case based on emotions and feelings.

SCAFC Chimp

Jan 6, 2010
AnteGravity said:
This pretty much demonstrates why Feminism is still strongly needed in Western society. Treating young girls like grades of meat and rating them on their sexual characteristics like it was the only thing they would ever be worth is so grotesquely abhorrent.

It definitely warrants legal action. This idiot caused a great deal of grievous mental and emotional anguish on so many of these girls publicly. That kind of behavior can not be condoned by any authority that hopes to remain credible.
Yeah, because it's not like girls have EVER made a list about guys attractiveness. Nope, not once.

OT: A lot of people have had worse said about them then this, and they didn't feel the need to press charges. What a waste of police time.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Bek359 said:
Isn't this how Zuckerberg first started Facebook?
was going to say, this is ironic considering that a hot or not list was more or less the origin of Facebook.

The father of one of the girls who appeared on the list said he was pleased that the kid was arrested but expressed concern that a disorderly conduct charge was inadequate for a "very serious offense that affected many people." Nonetheless, he added, "I'm gratified that the investigation continued, and that charges are being filed. I'm hopeful they consider additional charges as they gather more evidence."
Translation:
My daughter is a giant slut and it makes me cry every night

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
zeldagirl said:
My biggest problem with what has happened is what he is being charged with - disorderly conduct is a stretch. Sexual harassment, however, is obviously what has happened here. And yes, there are sexual harassment laws that would protect these women.
I agree with you that "Sexual Harassment" would make much more sense but you forget, "Young impressionable children's feelings got hurt. Oh the psychological damage, oh the privacy invasions, drama, Drama, DRAMA!"

This kid is going to get into a lot of trouble not because of how strongly he offended people, but because of how weakly said people's self-image is developed by the public at large.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
expulsion from school, arrest, and possible jail time for what amounts to posting a little black book of PUBLICLY KNOWN INFORMATION.

WOW seriously aren't there drug pushers rapists or murderers these fuckwits could be catching instead of some dude who is an obvious douche?

oh and the daddy of one of these tarts acting like his"little angel" is the same innocent girl she was at 12, is fucking hilarious, yeah buddy those nicknames are totally not indicative of the girls true nature when parental units aren't around