Teen Sells Kidney for iPad 2

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
You only need 1/3 of one kidney to maintain normal renal function. This is of course about more than an iPad. I mean, he isn't allowed to sell his organs, and why is that exactly? They are his after all.

LoL, that was kinda fun to say.

proctorninja2

a single man with a sword
Jun 5, 2010
doubt anyone would ever want my organs but if i was in a pinch i could see this being a good one time cash grab

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
The sad thing is that it'll just be obsolete when the ipad 3 releases. And you only have one spare kidney.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
coming next year: iPad 3!!!

seriously, im making that up but you know its probably gonna happen.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Steve Jobs is just so fucking masterful it's crushing. Who else could create a doodad with so much appeal that kids will have their organs gouged out just to own one? Gates? Feh!

I don't feel even a little bad, but I bet this kid will in about 10 years, when his kidney-pad is in a drawer somewhere completely forgotten, and his body is appropriately thanking him for removing his organ.

The Random One said:
Man, this is horrible.

He could have easily get $10,000 for that kidney.

I mean, you only have two, so make sure they sell at a high price!
This was my first thought as well. Actually, you find someone desperate enough to cling to life I imagine you could get significantly more. 3 grand for a kidney seems low-balling, even by humble Chinese economy standards (hint their people are poor).

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
It really bothers me that anyone would do this for any kind of electronic gadget, but it especially disturbs me that anyone would do this for an Apple product.

My opinion of Apple is that they make decent products that could be extraordinary. A lot of their stuff (iPod, iPhone, iPad) have been revolutionary ideas, that were crippled by Apple's insistence on keeping a closed platform and refusing to support essential features (No Flash support on the iPad? Piss off, Jobs.). Not to mention them signing an exclusive deal with a single wireless provider for their Internet phone that they know will create a huge strain on network resources.

Really, I doubt it would have mattered if it had been AT&T, Verizon, T Mobile, or any other network; if you force a single network to support that many high-bandwidth devices, shitty service is the only possible result.

Then, when they finally let their choke chain go slack a little, and let Verizon carry the iPhone, lo and behold, Verizon gets an iPhone that's almost a whole generation behind the AT&T iPhone. If you looked up the definition of "dick move" in the dictionary, that would be the first example.

Then you hear about how Apple is straight-up copying applications for tethering and multitasking that were already developed by their users, and then letting AT&T charge their customers a monthly fee to get access to the capabilities their devices should have had from the beginning.

And everyone is pissed at Sony for suing Geohot over the PS3 crack. Let me tell you, if Sony is the Antichrist of the corporate world, Apple is the Devil himself.

The only reason Apple's products are doing so well is because of Apple's marketing strategies, which, in my opinion, are nothing less than poisonous. Apple is really good at making their products look cool, deprecating their competition in ways that don't get them sued (while making their customers feel smarter than anyone who goes with a competitor's product), and churning out new versions of their products at a breakneck pace to keep the tech junkies hooked (because you can't upgrade anything that Apple sells).

Apple is not revolutionizing the world with their products. They're just exploiting you. Granted, that's what EVERY company does, but it's the smug, stuck-up, superiority complex Apple projects that really squeezes the rage out of me, especially when I see how desperate people get to have Apple's latest 'thing'.

If my theory that manufactured goods qualify as symbiotic entities (i.e., semi-living things that reproduce using humans as their surrogates) then Apple products are all parasites.

P.S.: Do you see the scar on that dude? Christ, what did they open him up with, a bandsaw? Remind me to never get illegal surgery in China...

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
(warning: Facts are to prove point) (Other Warning: These Facts are wrong)
Idiocracy Boundary in 1990's: 14%
Idiocracy Boundary in 2000's: ...Over 9000...%

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
vansau said:
ChromaticWolfen said:
No one in their right mind would have done this.
He's 17. Case closed.
Sorry but at 17 you should know to not sell your frikin organs. This wasn't breaking and entering, he voluntarily sold a precious organ for a couple thousand dollars.

Heck, he wasn't even duped into it he literally read an add then made his decision.

You gotta be messed if you think that's a good idea.

cystemic

Jan 14, 2009
if you wanna see stupid go to the clients from hell website. your faith in human intelligence will begin to approach zero after number 5. and an apple product? really? not food for a starving family or a life-saving operation, an ipad. balls to this idiot if he's over 15

thecoreyhlltt

Jul 12, 2010
The Bandit said:
I don't feel sorry for the kid at all. You know those hunting accident stories, or when a guy loses control of his car? Those are sad stories. They're pointless accidents. This wasn't an accident. The kid had plenty of time to think through his decision, and he still decided that an iPad was more important than an organ.
i agree, but this would be a bigger story if he sold an organ that was important... well more important anyway.

admins won't consider that trolling will they? i won't get banned for saying trolling will I???

oh shit

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
It's things like this that makes me proud of my totally irrational and baseless insistence with keeping the oldest model possible as long as it will function. I never had an iPad, but I was so so sad when I lost my phone from the 1990s...

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
vansau said:
Korey Von Doom said:
Apple consumers, the definition of stupid.
Honestly, you could replaced "iPad 2" with any other hot piece of technology and nobody would be any less surprised.
When we get stories of someone in South Korea selling their kidney for a Motorolla Xoom, or someone here in Australia selling part of their liver for Windows7, then you can make that call.

This kind of obsession with technology is really rare: Apple command the highest (but by no means all) calibre of this obsession I've noticed.