Teen Sex Assaulter Jailed, Played Too Much GTA

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
TsunamiWombat said:
Uh, whats a Chav? Is it a British thing?
The word chav can be used to describe most underclass youths in britain who wear tracksuits, cheap fake jewelry and behave like complete wankers. Wikipedia cites that the word may simply be being used as a derogatory term for the underclass in order to exacerbate the class war, but then Wikipedia has to remain politically neutral.

Maruza

Sep 19, 2006
"While it appears the defendant does not accept it influenced his conduct on that particular evening, it could not have helped him, I would have thought, in all the circumstances of the case."

What kind of statement is that?

How does he even know it couldn't have helped? Maybe without the video games the kid would have raped 40 more women. Just using the judge's own logic of randomly connecting dots here.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
ward. post=7.76294.899980 said:
SinisterDeath said:
My question is, assuming this is even real is this; If he claims the game had nothing to do with why he did what he did. WTF did he bring it up in the first place?

Okay, just to give an example...

Guy is charged for taking a chainsaw through town, and cutting 20 people in half.
When asked why he did it he says "well, I was watching Texas Chainsaw Massacare about 20 minutes before I grabbed my chainsaw and cut those bloody trees down! But yea, Watching that movie totally wasn't why I did it!"

See, what happened?
He effectively 'created' a scapegoat, without actually 'accusing' said scapegoat for his actions.
AKA, he makes you (the judge in this case), to completely forget the last part of what he said, because he scapegoated the 'movie' right off the bat.
He didn't create a scape goat, he said he was playing the game at the time of the assaults not that GTA caused/ inspired them.

It was the judge that noted that the way he committed the offences and the way things are done in GTA had similarities.
You know, I swear that the orginal article has been editted...
Cause I could have swore what it said was...
"I was playing GTA before I commited these acts" then later said that "GTA did not affect his decision to do them", with which the Judge basically said the correlation was to strong.. (paraphrasing here)

As for him playing GTA as the said events happened. Did the Judge even TRY to ask if there was any evidence to say he was playing the game at the time?

Doesn't GTA IV auto-save your game?
Wouldn't a play-time game save 'prove' that someone was infact, at his home, at that time, playing the game while said acts happened?

Can you smell an appeal?

Athefist

Nov 10, 2008
Jack Thompson is getting on the next plane to Kent. Oh you've really gone and done it now haven't you.
That aside, is this genius using the "videogames made me do it!" defense wrong, or does he really think that playing GTA is a great alibi?

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
Its because to most of them murder is understandable; its easy to get mad and loose it for some people and I would guess the guys or gals in for violent crimes can understand the kind of impulse that drove someone to kill. Sort of in support of this you can see that seriel (spelling is off today sorry) killers get a fairly rough ride too-i'm talking premeds here not spree-spree is again understandable violence.

Whereas if we compare this to rapists and paedophiles they tend to be male and very creepy; sorry to anyone who disagrees but its a stereotype for a reason. Both rape and Paedophilia are bigger taboos than murder too. Maybe murder is more biologically acceptable because ancesterally murder probably would have have been neccisary to survive. Murders and armed/aggravated assault cons are also more likely to reform or feel remorse (non psycopathic ones here obviously) whereas people tend to assume that rapists and pedophiles will go out and immediately reoffend once out jail-leading to the mentality that no woman/child is safe (mothers/sisters/girlfriends) while the offender still lives. Whether their fears are justified I can't comment on as I haven't seen any statistics.
Your forgetting the possibility, that many, many of the 'prisoners', may very easilly have had an abusive father, pedo father, or sexually abusive father in there family, thusly when they see someone that acts like there 'father' in prison, they do the first thing that comes to there mind which probably involves making the pedo a unic...

Mind you, I'm just saying this is a possibility, and not necissarilly the majority.
But generally speaking, if your in prison for a violent crime, generally your family situation isn't always a 'good' one. :p

ward.

Aug 6, 2008
SinisterDeath said:
ward. post=7.76294.899980 said:
SinisterDeath said:
My question is, assuming this is even real is this; If he claims the game had nothing to do with why he did what he did. WTF did he bring it up in the first place?

Okay, just to give an example...

Guy is charged for taking a chainsaw through town, and cutting 20 people in half.
When asked why he did it he says "well, I was watching Texas Chainsaw Massacare about 20 minutes before I grabbed my chainsaw and cut those bloody trees down! But yea, Watching that movie totally wasn't why I did it!"

See, what happened?
He effectively 'created' a scapegoat, without actually 'accusing' said scapegoat for his actions.
AKA, he makes you (the judge in this case), to completely forget the last part of what he said, because he scapegoated the 'movie' right off the bat.
He didn't create a scape goat, he said he was playing the game at the time of the assaults not that GTA caused/ inspired them.

It was the judge that noted that the way he committed the offences and the way things are done in GTA had similarities.
You know, I swear that the orginal article has been editted...
Cause I could have swore what it said was...
"I was playing GTA before I commited these acts" then later said that "GTA did not affect his decision to do them", with which the Judge basically said the correlation was to strong.. (paraphrasing here)

As for him playing GTA as the said events happened. Did the Judge even TRY to ask if there was any evidence to say he was playing the game at the time?

Doesn't GTA IV auto-save your game?
Wouldn't a play-time game save 'prove' that someone was in fact, at his home, at that time, playing the game while said acts happened?

Can you smell an appeal?
Fair enough, I personally suspect that most judges would be smart enough to tell if the average first time offender was taking the piss.

Besides it'd impossible to prove that it was him that played it or if anyone actually was playing, as turning on the game and going out isn't a hard thing to do.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Firstly "Source - Daily Mail"

That means there's no facts to be seen here. I wouldnt trust it if they reprinted the entire Encyclopedia Brittanica in the paper, wouldn't believe a damned word.

Secondly, look at him, does ANYONE here believe he could even spell GTA? He's a mindless fuckwit who's realised he's got a new scapegoat.

If nothing else the first 10 minutes in jail would at least teach him that he's not a gangsta, he's a scared young boy who thought he could get away with taking anything he wanted with no comeback. That's not a sympathy thing, I thoroughly hope he learns that he's not a hardened criminal while he's inside, and if the other inmates find out what he's in for, he's gonna do hard time. With any luck, when he does get out, he'll never dare break the law again, and with even more luck, he'll never so much as talk to a woman again, ending his bloodline, we don't need another generation of him, although looking at his age, he's probably already a multiple grandfather.

As for hoarding, I've probably got about 100gb of radio show MP3s and a good 200 dvds of TV shows. I'm thinking maybe one day I might even be appreciated for archiving long lost shows :D So little goes to DVD nowadays.