Teenage Idiots Crash Car, Post Video, Get Busted

BoredKellon

Jan 11, 2008
OK, I think people should stop being so self rightous and realize that everyone makes mistakes, yah they obviously didn't think it through posting that on youtube, but they probably didn't realize that the potential of being charged was really there. To those less educated on the ways of the police and of the internet it may not even have crossed there minds.

Now I'm not condoning there actions by any means necesarry, especially since they decided to hit those speeds on a highway with other vehicles, but I've made my mistakes and learned from them, and been lucky enough to get of probably easier then I should have. I've totaled a car going into a rock cut, and luckily both me and my brother came out with nothing more then a scratch. I got fined not much, but took a heavy hit to my insurance, I've had my car impounded for 150 km/h on a 100km/h highway (93mph on a 62mph) and I feel bad for going that fast in traffic, and haven't sped that fast with other cars since. I've had other experiences as well (and have been in a vehicle going that fast, have driven fairly fast myself), and I may not still be the slowest driver or most law abiding driver I am now a much safer driver then I used to be an I'm a lot more aware of the dangers. New drivers just don't realize the dangers as much and the temptation of going fast (which has always been around and has absolutely nothing to do with the media) is too much for them to resist sometimes.

I now try to limit my "antics" to closed tracks but generally if you do want to drive fast outside the track, please for the love of god, do it on an empty road and have another vehicle scout it out before you go. At least that way you can limit any danger only to those who willingly take it on. I'm glad these guys are okay and hopefully this will help them learn and hopefully scare them enough to think about there actions. They fucked up, there only dumb if they don't learn from that.

BTW, I may no longer drive my mothers vehicle as I'm excluded from her insurance and I have no vehicle myself as my insurance rates would be more then my rent.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Shame none of them died, some how I doubt we would have lost the cure for cancer with them.

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
Aww man, what a waste of an S4. If I had a car like that, Id cherish her. Hell, I care for my 94 suburban like she's a part of my own body.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
A random person said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
*Facepalm*
Ugh, I'm not that stupid!
Neither are most teens. Sad people fail to realize that.
True that God that I'm almost 20 so I can finally be out of that category. [small]No offense.[/small]

Low Key

May 7, 2009
A random person said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
*Facepalm*
We know from experience because we were once teens too. Yes, most teens are pretty stupid. Don't worry, in most cases it's just a passing phase.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
paypuh said:
A random person said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
*Facepalm*
We know from experience because we were once teens too. Yes, most teens are pretty stupid. Don't worry, in most cases it's just a passing phase.
I'm talking from most of the students I know. We do some mildly stupid things, like some running jokes my friends came up with and use (Rick James, randomly tripping, saying "potato" if we don't know the answer, etc), but it's in good fun and we have good enough judgment not to do what the retards in the video did (how do you survive 150 mph+? Isn't 70 mph the "you will not survive" point?). And yes, I do go to a public middle school, not some private school.

Sorry for how serious that sounded, I'm kinda the lone youth rights advocate on this forum. Hell, I joined to go against the surge of youth-bashing threads in late april and the general sentiment.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
A random person said:
paypuh said:
A random person said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
*Facepalm*
I'm talking from most of the students I know. We do some mildly stupid things, like some running jokes my friends came up with and use (Rick James, randomly tripping, saying "potato" if we don't know the answer, etc), but it's in good fun and we have good enough judgment not to do what the retards in the video did (how do you survive 150 mph+? Isn't 70 mph the "you will not survive" point?). And yes, I do go to a public middle school, not some private school.

Sorry for how serious that sounded, I'm kinda the lone youth rights advocate on this forum. Hell, I joined to go against the surge of youth-bashing threads in late april and the general sentiment.
I'm not bashing, I'm just telling it like it is. It's nothing personal. Take it more as helpful advice. You still have a lot of life to live before you know what stupidity truly is, whether it's something you do, or more likely, dealing with other people's BS. Middle school is peanuts compared to high school. Blame it on the hormones.

And no, 70mph is not the "will not survive" point. Fatal crashes can occur at any moderate speed. It's all about the impact, not the velocity.

Music Mole

Apr 15, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
Music Mole said:
Why were the cops on youtube?
Probably because one of the teens opened his mouth about it. As much as people whine about cops pulling illegal stuff to get evidence, that's just a small fraction of the legit methods. Besides, cops do have a life beyond work, and quite a few probably browse youtube or facebook or myspace. Take your pick.
I do thank God that nobody else got hurt, even these poor fools. And just because they were driving an Audi it don't mean $1,000 is just a drop in the wallet for the owner. If the kid was the owner, after he gets his license back he's gonna have a big insurance premium to look forward to, between the accident on his record, and the fine. He'll be paying more than $1,000. Only way this guy might qualify for the runnerup Darwin Award is if he decides to try it again, as opposed to learning from his mistake. We all make mistakes, and nobody should dare to sound so much more self-righteous. I remember every one of my accidents, most that could have been prevented with more experience. Nobody got hurt, and I am a better driver now because I learned from them. Too bad not everybody does.
And yes, it is a crime that vehicular homicides and reckless endangerment isn't a tougher rap. If anything, repeat offenses should be way tougher than they currently are. Especially for DUI's, but that's a bigger ballgame.
O RLY?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
asinann said:
This happened in the US right?

They can appeal the fine under double jeopardy, they were already fined for the crime, can't fine them twice.

Then again, they're probably too stupid to do it.

TheNecroswanson said:
Malygris said:
There are lessons to be learned here. I trust I don't have to explain them.
Am I the only one pissed that they didn't get reckless endangerment and 5 years in prison?
Other than the fact that the ONLY crime a minor can be charged as an adult with is murder and as a minor reckless endangerment is still a slap on the wrist?
How about the cost of prosecuting a felony that will net you 1/3 of the cost of the prosecution in fines and then get tossed because the kids were given a ticket first (hence already being punished for speeding, which is what they got the larger fine for later and the felony that would have been charged) when the appeal tags it as double jeopardy.

You can't be charged with the same crime twice, that includes the same incident of speeding.
The cop that gave the speeding ticket screwed up and wrote a ticket when it should have been an arrest. But the cop didn't have an evidence that the kids were doing 155 unless those kids told him (in which case he should have arrested them.)
May have a point there, since a citation is considered a judgement on a crime, same as any other fine or penalty. Trust the police to be overzealous and screw it up. Most likely *the followup on that* video is going to get the driver off completely. He still won't be with that Audi though. There is no way it doesn't have enough damage for a total writeoff after an accident at 155 mph. So small justice is better than none.

*EDIT

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
nathan-dts said:
What I don't understand is why put a vidoe of something illegal on Youtube?
Bragging rights. They probably figured they (or the driver) already paid the penalty for the accident, may as well show it off. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot more to that video through the accident itself.

nathan-dts said:
Daveman said:
Wouldn't it be funny if they killed someone and they went to prison. I know I'd be happier.
That's just morbid.
I for one am quite happy nobody got hurt outside of that vehicle.

PsykoDragon

Aug 19, 2008
Reminds me of the time when I tested my 13 year-old Mercedes Benz on the Airport-Highway in Iraq. Managed to hit 220 km/h (137 mph), albeit with alotta rattling (car's seen some exciting days). I love speed, & I also used that to vent my frustration.

So I kinda understand these kids wanting to go fast, it is cool, it IS FUN, the rush is insane, but... you just don't distract yourselves with something stupid like a speed you're aiming to hit. That causes all sorts of problems, mentally & biologically.

If you just focused on going fast, then with a little luck the worst that will befall you is a ticket for excessive speeding.

Still, speed = BAD