Teenage Male Gamers No Longer Biggest Demographic

HannesPascal

Mar 1, 2008
Okay I think I speak for all of AAA gaming when I ask:
"Which demographic can we press for the most money? We don't really care about who's playing our games we just want their sweet money."

Off-topic: So capctha wants me to describe Chevron I've no idea what company that is. The logo kind of looks like a transformer does Chevron make transformers?

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Statistics are an inaccurate science at best. A way to lie at worst.

Does it matter how many XYZ play games? Not at all.

I will argue, that I don't really see PHONE games as sit-down-and-play-for-a-week type games. They are kinda different. You can play a mobile game for like, 2 minutes and turn your phone off. Sitting down and dedicating a week to like, a Zelda, Skyrim, or yeah even Dark Souls, its kinda different. Different experiences, even if they are similar 'tools'(games).

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
...So let me get this straight...The study itself says that 48% of gamers as a whole are women, that 29% of gamers are under 18, 32% are between the ages of 18 and 35, and 39% are over 35...and that women in those last two categories combined outnumber boys in the first alone? That women drawn from 71% of gamer age demographics outnumber men drawn from the remaining 29%? And that's the newsworthy take from it? That half of 71% is greater than any conceivable fraction of 29%? Really, people?

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Artaneius said:
Racecarlock said:
Who cares if they don't take into account casual versus hardcore? Fuck hardcore. Hardcore people insult you when you ask for tips on dark souls. Hardcore people laugh in your face when you say you can't build your own PC. Hardcore people sling sexist remarks day in and day out with bullshit justification for it.

I play games all the time. That said, I also use cheats or make the games easier where possible. I consider myself casual even though I follow industry news and frequent forums like these. Mostly because I play games more for fun than gamerscore. But also because hardcore people (at least the people who identify as hardcore) seem to be as hateful and exclusionary as possible. And not just because you're not playing a game "correctly" (read: how they would play), but because if you're a woman you're apparently just gaming because you want attention and gaming is the popular thing now so you're doing it to be popular even though you once bullied this douche in school. At least he remembers how he was rejected in school and now he's just afraid of all women. Not all hardcores are like this, but I bet most who do this are.

Then there's the hate thrown at anyone who even espouses that there might be something sexist about some games. Look, I haven't seen anita sarkeesian's videos yet, so I don't know how crappy her claims are. But they could be the worst in the world and for me, it wouldn't matter. Not one bit. Because the sheer backlash and hate and anger that I saw from people, including kitchen jokes, death threats, rape threats, and a flash game where you beat the shit out of her, told me everything I need to know. No matter how bad someone's claims of sexism in gaming are, the audience on the side of gaming can be so much worse that it doesn't even matter. That is why I refuse to identify as "Hardcore".
Well to be fair, people feel the same way when any other hobby makes significant changes. If NFL made major changes to football because they wanted casuals to play the game more, all the people including pros that put time, work, sweat, blood, and tears into the game would most likely be pretty pissed off. Your suppose to reward those who treat games more seriously, not punish and ignore them. Competitive gamers are so spiteful because of what the casuals and companies have done to them over the years.

Yeah, people do remember when they were mistreated by others. And guess what? Like any other human being who gets shafted, your going to want revenge. Whether they use legal or illegal means to achieve that goal is another matter however. Personally I was never bullied or made fun of for being a gamer, but I can understand and relate to it. I myself have dedicated a ton of time getting good in competitive games. Fighting games, shooters, Real-Time Strategy, and many others. So yes, I expect to reap rewards for the blood and sweat I poured into these games. I expect to pwn the noobs and pubstomp like a boss. I payed my dues like all gamers had to back in the 90s era of online gaming. I remember losing every single match in Quake and UT when I first started. But that's how it should be. You should be only able to win a match when you get good enough and earn it.

That combo gif on my picture is an example. I put in the work to get that good, now time to reap the benefits of it. Just like you would expect from a job.
But games aren't football! And if blood is part of what you're pouring into games, you might be taking it a bit far. Seriously, who bleeds while playing games? (I know you weren't actually bleeding, but whatever)

And it's not like those fighting games and difficult games went away. Hell, dark souls has a sequel, I don't know how many platformers take after super meat boy, and fighting games now have reality shows based on them.

Oh I know, you're going to want revenge. I thought we were supposed to be better than that. You want to pwn noobs? Fine, but death threats when you lose or something is crap, and complaining that a game is too easy when it's meant for a more general audience is just immature. Waah, it wasn't made for you. Find another game, then.

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
Racecarlock said:
Artaneius said:
Racecarlock said:
Who cares if they don't take into account casual versus hardcore? Fuck hardcore. Hardcore people insult you when you ask for tips on dark souls. Hardcore people laugh in your face when you say you can't build your own PC. Hardcore people sling sexist remarks day in and day out with bullshit justification for it.

I play games all the time. That said, I also use cheats or make the games easier where possible. I consider myself casual even though I follow industry news and frequent forums like these. Mostly because I play games more for fun than gamerscore. But also because hardcore people (at least the people who identify as hardcore) seem to be as hateful and exclusionary as possible. And not just because you're not playing a game "correctly" (read: how they would play), but because if you're a woman you're apparently just gaming because you want attention and gaming is the popular thing now so you're doing it to be popular even though you once bullied this douche in school. At least he remembers how he was rejected in school and now he's just afraid of all women. Not all hardcores are like this, but I bet most who do this are.

Then there's the hate thrown at anyone who even espouses that there might be something sexist about some games. Look, I haven't seen anita sarkeesian's videos yet, so I don't know how crappy her claims are. But they could be the worst in the world and for me, it wouldn't matter. Not one bit. Because the sheer backlash and hate and anger that I saw from people, including kitchen jokes, death threats, rape threats, and a flash game where you beat the shit out of her, told me everything I need to know. No matter how bad someone's claims of sexism in gaming are, the audience on the side of gaming can be so much worse that it doesn't even matter. That is why I refuse to identify as "Hardcore".
Well to be fair, people feel the same way when any other hobby makes significant changes. If NFL made major changes to football because they wanted casuals to play the game more, all the people including pros that put time, work, sweat, blood, and tears into the game would most likely be pretty pissed off. Your suppose to reward those who treat games more seriously, not punish and ignore them. Competitive gamers are so spiteful because of what the casuals and companies have done to them over the years.

Yeah, people do remember when they were mistreated by others. And guess what? Like any other human being who gets shafted, your going to want revenge. Whether they use legal or illegal means to achieve that goal is another matter however. Personally I was never bullied or made fun of for being a gamer, but I can understand and relate to it. I myself have dedicated a ton of time getting good in competitive games. Fighting games, shooters, Real-Time Strategy, and many others. So yes, I expect to reap rewards for the blood and sweat I poured into these games. I expect to pwn the noobs and pubstomp like a boss. I payed my dues like all gamers had to back in the 90s era of online gaming. I remember losing every single match in Quake and UT when I first started. But that's how it should be. You should be only able to win a match when you get good enough and earn it.

That combo gif on my picture is an example. I put in the work to get that good, now time to reap the benefits of it. Just like you would expect from a job.
But games aren't football! And if blood is part of what you're pouring into games, you might be taking it a bit far. Seriously, who bleeds while playing games? (I know you weren't actually bleeding, but whatever)

And it's not like those fighting games and difficult games went away. Hell, dark souls has a sequel, I don't know how many platformers take after super meat boy, and fighting games now have reality shows based on them.

Oh I know, you're going to want revenge. I thought we were supposed to be better than that. You want to pwn noobs? Fine, but death threats when you lose or something is crap, and complaining that a game is too easy when it's meant for a more general audience is just immature. Waah, it wasn't made for you. Find another game, then.
What's the point in having difficult games when it no longer means anything? Yeah sure they're difficult single player games. Big whoopy fucking do. How about difficult online shooters where a large amount of people play on everyday? How about getting rid of CoD and BF and force Quake and UT on the masses. Oh god forbid that happening again, little Timmy might not win a game amrite. :p

Don't be condescending man. Everyone can stood up to that level.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
weirdo8977 said:
I dont know why this is but I find iy kinda surprising that they're more female rts players then male ones.
Simcity, Banished, etc...

There are lots of non-violent management/sim games that would fall under the category of strategy.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Artaneius said:
Racecarlock said:
Artaneius said:
Racecarlock said:

What's the point in having difficult games when it no longer means anything? Yeah sure they're difficult single player games. Big whoopy fucking do. How about difficult online shooters where a large amount of people play on everyday? How about getting rid of CoD and BF and force Quake and UT on the masses. Oh god forbid that happening again, little Timmy might not win a game amrite. :p

Don't be condescending man. Everyone can stood up to that level.
But some people just don't like harder difficulties. Does that mean they should just stop gaming even though they have fun on the lower difficulties?

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Witty Name Here said:
Fulbert said:
snowfi6916 said:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/female-adults-oust-teenage-boys-largest-gaming-demographic/

The schadenfreude here is so sweet. And I am glad there are going to be whiny male gamers crying into their soup over this.

The 21st century is here. Get on board or get out of the way.
What's up with the hatred? Did teenage boys kill your dog or anything?
Really, SJWs seem to primarily support the movement for two reasons: Bullying and Control.

Control is fairly obvious, after all they'd be asserting their agenda on the gaming industry and forcing others to bow to their views. Anyone not joining on the crazy "MALE CHARACTERS SHOULD BE CASTRATED" train are called misogynsts, regardless of whether they're women, prefer playing as women, or support pro-women game jams, like the ones the Fine Young Capitalists are doing right now.

Bullying is just to live off of that Schadenfreud the OP mentioned. getting to talk down to men and harass them for the crime of existing, it seems.
I really, really hope you are just using SJW as a word to describe some of the more extreme factions of feminism and racism and not saying that every other demographic other than the white young adult male are nothing but bullies and control freaks. Though since you seem to think "more playable women" means "men must die", your opinions seems to be clear to me.

First off, how are "SJWs" asserting control over the video game industry? No, please, explain to me how they have any control over the modern games industry? They complain about things they don't like? Well, whoop de fucking do! So does every other group here! The only place where they might have any control is perhaps certain parts of the indie scene, which is so bloated anyways that they don't make any significant portion.

Furthermore, for all the complaints you have about bullying and control, YOU don't seem to have any problem doing it yourself. Calling anyone who is against you a "SJW" and trying so very hard to turn it into a bad word. Look at the posts here. Look at how many people are trying so hard to say that the women don't count because they only play social games. It sure looks like the "SJW" have taken over, doesn't it?

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
I came to basically say "Cool!" (in a longer sentence so I wouldn't get warned). Then the first handful of posts are filled with glee about how miserable this is apparently going to make me, and all the excuses I will make. I don't even...

Ah well, don't let 'em change you. "Cool!"

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
xaszatm said:
I really, really hope you are just using SJW as a word to describe some of the more extreme factions of feminism and racism and not saying that every other demographic other than the white young adult male are nothing but bullies and control freaks. Though since you seem to think "more playable women" means "men must die", your opinions seems to be clear to me.

First off, how are "SJWs" asserting control over the video game industry? No, please, explain to me how they have any control over the modern games industry? They complain about things they don't like? Well, whoop de fucking do! So does every other group here! The only place where they might have any control is perhaps certain parts of the indie scene, which is so bloated anyways that they don't make any significant portion.

Furthermore, for all the complaints you have about bullying and control, YOU don't seem to have any problem doing it yourself. Calling anyone who is against you a "SJW" and trying so very hard to turn it into a bad word. Look at the posts here. Look at how many people are trying so hard to say that the women don't count because they only play social games. It sure looks like the "SJW" have taken over, doesn't it?
Plus it's kinda funny who the people making a big deal out of women in gaming are the kind of people who would use the term "SJW" without irony in the first place. Women are increasing in the gamersphere, but admittedly they're not increasing enough. Like I said, it's the boy's club mentality; they equate sharing space with losing it. And of course these kind of people then have the gall to turn around and complain about why gaming is so homogenized. Fact of the matter is that there are ALWAYS going to be companies that cater to the male demographic it's just that they're going to have to be alongside women.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
That's nice I guess. It's not really a recent thing though. Gaming is a very wide term (meaning that even shitty mobile phone games are still games in the end). Would it be optimistic of me to say that the "no girls on the internet" trope will probably be completely gone within the next 10 years?

And also, try and be less haughty when presenting your argument. People automatically go on the defense if you act in such an attacking way (unless that is what you want).