Teenage Male Gamers No Longer Biggest Demographic

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
Jadak said:
Thebazilly said:
But it clearly doesn't count, because they're filthy casuals playing mobile games, and are not true for-realsies hardcore gamers.

As a side note, what does "casual" even mean any more? I saw a thread a while back calling Assassin's Creed "casual." I guess people just want to feel even more elitist about liking Dark Souls?
Regardless of how you feel like drawing a line on what is 'casual' and what that means, when you get into a demographic that includes 'games your mom plays', it's hard to consider 'gaming' as a single category that includes both you and your mom.
My mom was the one who introduced me to gaming when I was small.

She thoroughly enjoys Civilisation, though she thinks the series peaked at II. She also liked Tropico, Sim City (though not the last one) and Sierra's old city builders like Zeus.

So, you're saying those titles are "causal"?

NemotheElvenPanda

Aug 29, 2012
So about 50% of the human population makes up about 50% of the gaming population. Wow, that's a mysterious enigma that will prove to be the undoing of gaming.

Really in all seriousness, this shouldn't be seen as a bad or even a surprising thing. Even if we want to designate the whole app-games thing like Candy Crush as a separate category of game with its players as their own kind of gamer, whatever that is, women still play a lot of console and PC games. I can't see how people find this a problem for the life of me.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
BiH-Kira said:
There is a reason why so many people point out the distinction between (hard)core and casual gamer. Yes, some people use the term casual as an insult, but the majority doesn't. It's there to show the habits of the gamer. A (hard)core gamer is more likely to spend more money on his hobby, he follows the news, visits gaming related forums and sites.
Casuals play games casually. They download a simple game, don't invest too much time into learning and mastering it. They are less likely to spend money on gaming (with the exceptions of the whales), don't visit forums or sites related to gaming.

The skill is not relevant. What is relevant is who is bringing more money, spending more time and actually loving the hobby more. Casuals usually play games to kill time. (hard)core gamer play games because they love playing games.
There is a reason why the people who love games want the industry to focus more on them than the people who don't really care if the game is a cheap copy, some cash shop infested shit ala Dungeon Keeper Mobile or if it's a master piece.
Wait... a casual gaming is a person who download a simple game and then doesn't invest too much time into it? What? Have you meet anyone who plays Farmville, Candycrush etc. This is an incredible amount of strategy that goes into each of them. So much so that when they talk about it, I can't comprehend what they are saying or trying to do. They spend about 4 fours playing their game throughout the day (from my own observation.) Many have friends through the game like when you're in a guild in WOW. If they know each other in real life they talk to each other about it. They don't need forums. And most importantly they LOVE playing games. With a passion.

Your view of these 'casual' gamers are so skewed that I actually wonder if you have met one.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
My educated guess would say that the largest amount of money being spent on video games comes from men aged 30 - 45. These are the NES generation that grew up with gaming as their entertainment and the games grew up with them.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
trunkage said:
The "problem" isn't that the "women are coming". They've been here and they've been here a long time. Today my wife was on the DS while I played the PC and my daughter played the Wii U.

Thinking that women weren't part of the gaming culture even 30 years ago is the biggest problem we have with the whole issue. This "teenage male only" comes from the time when they look at demographics and movies. For about 40 years ago. And the data has been shown many times over since then to be incorrect.
Well, yeah, I kind of know that, I just wanted to butcher a Game of Thrones reference.
It's a little funny for someone who has been gaming her whole life to hear some people declare that women have only recently become interested in this stuff and are `coming out of nowhere`.
We were always here.

And another irritating trend is conflating `women` and `casuals` as if they are the same thing, you can see many people in the thread so far doing it.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Bruce said:
Jadak said:
Thebazilly said:
But it clearly doesn't count, because they're filthy casuals playing mobile games, and are not true for-realsies hardcore gamers.

As a side note, what does "casual" even mean any more? I saw a thread a while back calling Assassin's Creed "casual." I guess people just want to feel even more elitist about liking Dark Souls?
Regardless of how you feel like drawing a line on what is 'casual' and what that means, when you get into a demographic that includes 'games your mom plays', it's hard to consider 'gaming' as a single category that includes both you and your mom.
My mom was the one who introduced me to gaming when I was small.

She thoroughly enjoys Civilisation, though she thinks the series peaked at II. She also liked Tropico, Sim City (though not the last one) and Sierra's old city builders like Zeus.

So, you're saying those titles are "causal"?
No, I'm saying my mom exclusively plays things like bejeweled and candy crush, and that that sort of thing is hard to consider as the same category as those who play things like your mom did.

I wasn't saying moms can't be gamers, I was saying many can't play serious games, I was saying this 'statistic' includes the many that don't.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
CriticKitten said:
chikusho said:
>claims that he never asserted that female gamers increased significantly
Quote from your first post:
Another year, another study, and the amount of female gamers has yet again grown exponentially.
Do you deny making this statement in your first post, then, in which you very clearly state that the number of female gamers increased "exponentially" (which the study's own data does not at all support, since similar studies have concluded with almost the exact same distribution for years now)?

>claims that he never attempted to twist this study into a political stance
1% percent increase in Americans who play games, and 3% more women, over the course of one year. That's significant growth in my opinion, considering the amount of people those numbers represent.
Also, there's nothing political about that at all. If you think that, that's on you.

Again:
And yet again people tries to shit over the stats instead of 1. realizing the actual significance, and 2. being supportive, welcoming and inclusive into this great hobby of ours.
Do you deny making this statement, in which you dismiss people's opinions on the validity of the study on the basis that they "don't get the significance" (even though the study reveals nothing of significance that wasn't already known)? No, please, keep telling us how you didn't try to manipulate this study into saying more than it actually does.
Something "being known" is not evidence of anything.
My statement stands, since it keeps getting proven on a post by post basis.

Please, enlighten us then, if you didn't mean that the "significance" was that this study proves that females are taking over the market, then what DID you mean?
I've mentioned this a number of times in this thread already. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.

Because your original statements make it pretty clear that you're trying to peddle an agenda, one that the data doesn't actually support.
That sounds like a persecution complex to me. I took a pretty neutral stance in the discussion and predicted a fairly obvious outcome. That's annoyoing to some people, I guess.

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
cr42al said:
Phasmal said:
trunkage said:
The "problem" isn't that the "women are coming". They've been here and they've been here a long time. Today my wife was on the DS while I played the PC and my daughter played the Wii U.

Thinking that women weren't part of the gaming culture even 30 years ago is the biggest problem we have with the whole issue. This "teenage male only" comes from the time when they look at demographics and movies. For about 40 years ago. And the data has been shown many times over since then to be incorrect.
Well, yeah, I kind of know that, I just wanted to butcher a Game of Thrones reference.
It's a little funny for someone who has been gaming her whole life to hear some people declare that women have only recently become interested in this stuff and are `coming out of nowhere`.
We were always here.

And another irritating trend is conflating `women` and `casuals` as if they are the same thing, you can see many people in the thread so far doing it.
Yup. All the claims that the study is bunk because it doesn't arbitrarily divide up "casual" games and "real" games also make the assumption that the only kind of games women play are casual games. Despite the fact that the audience for social games like Farmville is a 50/50 split slightly weighted towards males.

It's a nice effort by the OP, but some people are never going to accept that women make up a substantial portion of video game consumers. They will deny it until they are blue in the face and surrounded on all sides by boobs and flowery perfume. They will continue to make the qualifications for being a "real" game narrower and narrower until the only qualification left is "not many female players." Eventually the only "real" game left will be FIFA.
Not so fast, buddy. Because that implies that both genders share the same playing habits which isn't true. Puzzles, strategy/tower defense, music games, platformers and endless runners are generally the most attractive games for women, and those games are abundant in the mobile/FB space. Racing, action/shooters, sports games, and in lesser degrees fighting and strategy games are generally the most attractive for men, and those game are abundant in consoles/PC. The only "shared" grounds are MMOs, (J)RPGs and platformers AFAIK.

Drawing people from a smartdevice to invest into a console/gaming PC and 40-60 bucks AAA games is pretty much a tall order. Especially if said people have distinct tastes and spending habits from the usual audience. It's like if you're trying to sell a super sports car to family; you're looking at the wrong people.

It's not a matter of "who's a real gamer" or "what's a real game", is "who are we selling to" and "who's buying our stuff".

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
chikusho said:
Savagezion said:
You're evasive tactics has pushed them to the bottom by arguing over semantics.
My "evasive tactic" has been to reply to the message in the order that the arguments came. Why the hell would that be a tactic?
You created that order. Quote snipping generally tends to devolve into arguing over semantics and not the point of another poster. Look at how far you whittled down the 'discussion' in you last post to me. You have tried to deconstruct any points by making it 1 liner vs. 1 liner. not discussing a topic. Avoiding the issues I proposed were wrong with your initial statement, this argument has gotten very long as you threw out red herrings and attacked strawmen trying to get me to move off of my point. You have been using evasive debate tactics and have recently resorted to outright lying about what you have said.

I have actually given you time waiting for you to break out some of the survey to use in this discussion
Why would I? My main argument was never about the study, but rather the people who'll read it.
Considering that what they are reading is why you are judging them you feel that what they are reading is in no way relevant? Even though in your own words it is "significant" and they "can't see it". Which is the whole reason you are looking down on them.

But if this study TRULY showed ANOTHER KIND of diversity, you would think this number would be at least above 20%.
Fixed.
Actually you broke it and made it make no sense. Another kind of diversity? Diversity LITERALLY means more than 1 kind of something. Don't "fix" my stuff, I use the terms I use for a reason. Notice the word truly in all capital letters.

chikusho said:
This thread was made as a counter argument to the claim that females are outnumbered in core gaming.
My post was not an argument to the claim that females are outnumbered in core gaming.
A statement which does not differ from my original argument. I don't know what supposed "lie" you get from this, though. :/
Probably the one I pointed out in that very post that you just snipped out. This one:

Who exactly am I supporting when I start being supportive?
The previously underrepresented demographic that has found a way to join and grow the medium.
You are looking down on others for not supporting the inclusion of women in the medium, when many people are using the study to show that they haven't really joined the core (not hardcore) demographic to gaming.

trying to get any significance out of those numbers is like saying my tabby is a tiger because they are in the same animal family.
So, you lack imagination?
Is... is that supposed to be a dig? So you see lying and/or misrepresentation as a positive thing? If I say my tabby is a tiger, I am lying. It's a domestic tabby compared to a freakin' tiger.

If anything mobile gaming being so different than gaming media before it is what "shits on the statistics" considering at least you have admitted that the "significance" and "support" is in the vein of female gamers.
That's faulty logic. All gaming media is different than gaming media before it.
Maybe if I were comparing PS2 to PS4 but when I am comparing phone apps to AAA budget console games, not so much. Check out the part I bolded for you. There is a LARGE difference between phone apps and console games.

Owning a smartphone =/= owning a console as you are claiming "because it plays games".
I've never claimed any such thing. Owning a smartphone used for games = owning a gaming device.
Sorry, but you absolutely said they were the same thing or failed to see any difference between the two. Here let me refresh you memory:

When you use your phone to play a game it's a game machine, pure and simple. It's not less of a game because what you play it on can do other stuff also. In that case, I guess XBOX One owners don't count either?

The average U.S. Household owns at least one dedicated game console, PC, or smartphone.

Of that, only 51% of U.S. households own a dedicated game console, and those that do own an average of 2
"51% of U.S. households own a dedicated game console, and those that do own an average of 2"

Those look like parallel statistics to me. That's a statement in and of itself.
Parallel? "Average" doesn't mean half. In this context average means most. WHich means some households don't have any of these. Then you have to look at the words "Of that" meaning if we ignore PC and smartphones, the previous number drops to half. Which means 49% of the homes that own a gaming device in this study don't own a console. Half of the study is on people who don't play console games.

You have a study of two markets here at the same time.
No, the industry, which includes way more than two markets.
LOL, you are so desperate. I explained to YOU that very point on page 4 or 5 and you had no idea what I was talking about. Don't act like I am oblivious to that information.

In the discussion regarding female protagonists in console gaming
This again?
Yes, this again because I have no doubt at this point it is part of your agenda. Your just frustrated that I am calling it out as weak evidence. Even as someone in favor of it. I would rather try and find a practical solution rather than delude myself into a false reality. I reserve my "imagination" for things not business related. So when talking about 'the industry' I like to be pragmatic.

yes it has to be "inconvenient" for it to count. Who will go out of their way for it? As I said this is a sub-debate of a much larger debate. If this thread gets a lot of "HURRAH!"s someone will make a thread using this study to go "Look at this study EA, Activision, Ubisoft and learn" and then I would be in there saying this stuff. I am heading it off at the pass if I can. And yet, that thread still may happen despite it.
As if that would be the only reason for fair and/or equal representation in the medium... But that's outside the scope of this.
Make sure you get that agenda pushing statement in there before you digress. It's a very transparent tactic but serves it's purpose, no?

LOL, yeah right. That was a counter point to a point you brought up. You said that a phone is the same as a console because it plays games. You were trying to once again say they are the same. You have been back and forth the whole time going:

You: "They are the same"
Me: "no they are different because X Y and Z"
You: "Well duh, I said they are different, that's how the industry works."
I said that it doesn't matter if they are on a console or a phone. They are both games. And that the enjoyment someone gets out of playing them can be equal to, or greater, than a console games. And that phones are both capable of handling games that fit within a huge number those markets you're so fond of. Which makes phones, tablets and especially PCs fit very well within the scope of the study.
You still seem to be taking my words as looking down on non-console gaming. I game on PC mostly, consoles second and phones. I don't look down on any of it. I have phone emulators I have bought, I play the little apps as well. PC and console game too. I am in all 3 markets and as such I can tell they are all widely different markets. I interact with all 3 types of gamers as a primary source of communication believe it or not. Many people will talk about the games they play with me for various reasons. (PC is the rarest breed) and they are all unique in their gaming habits. Widely so. I would never say that someone who plays on their exclusively phone games almost is the same as someone who plays on console or PC religiously. PC and console gamers DO have more similarities because of ports that go both ways of the latest titles. Your failure to recognize that reveals that either you don't talk to a large variety of gamers or you are pretending to be ignorant. I have defended facebook games and casual games on this site before back when it was hip to hate on them as console/PC gamers. I was in those threads telling people they are still gamers but I could at least acknowledge it wasn't the same thing. What is so hard about acknowledging that? Oh right, the movement for representation on consoles no longer has statistics that mean anything. You aren't interested in truth, just getting what you want.

If you are going to show the industry it is best to leave trends out.
Not if they make up the majority of the market.
Especially if they make up the majority of the market. That's how the 1983 crash happened a trend quit being a trend when people got tired of it and everything went to shit. Unfortunately it will be 2025 before this data is useful as I don't think mobile will die out due to the nature of the device. However, by then, actual consumer habits will be emerging in that market and you could compare it to these numbers. I would suggest mobile markets stay seperate though so that more information could be useful in studies like this. I love strategy games in the core market but wont play them on my phone because they are like baby's first strategy game. While consoles get the dumbed down argument a lot, phone games are the next step down from that. Because of that, I tend to play games people around me play so that I have something to talk about with them because I just don't give a fuck about Expendables 3.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
visiblenoise said:
Why is this even a thing to be happy or unhappy about? It all seems incredibly childish.

"Yay, more girls than yucky boys!"
That's the thing about this website. Everyone tries to come off as mature and responsible and knowledgeable and yet there are arguments breaking out over gender statistics.

To quote Peter Griffin, "Oh my god, who the hell cares".

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
I read the article and I spot the magic word "smartphones" and I suddenly get the feeling that the word "gamer" used here contains people I would not call gamers, I would call them your average smartphone users.

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
Kalezian said:
I think that if you want equality, then do not fucking cry when you get treated equally.
I rather start by "not being a fucking asshole to people first".

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
More women playing games is always good news, but organizations who release half-assed cherry-picked statistics like this can fuck off. ESA are always the first ones to trumpet from the rooftops how more women are playing iPhone games just as much as males, but I guarantee they will never reveal the breakdown between the genders for game genres like:
> FPS
> RTS
> Action/Adventure
> MOBA
> MMORPG
> Arcade Fighter
> Racing Simulator
etc.
They will never reveal the gender breakdown of who is buying consoles to play what, who is building gaming PC's. Want to know why? Because things are still far (and I mean FAR) from equal when it comes to those things. Prime example of cherry-picking and selection bias right there.
That is why I have no respect for any of their "statistics" and even less respect for people who try to draw attention to it.

Here's a slightly more accurate article of gender distribution in gaming: http://venturebeat.com/2013/09/19/gender-inequality/
The ESA?s statistics may be correct if you take every type of game and every available platform and mix them together into an amorphous blob, but take one step into the detailed demographics of the core audience and the idea of gender equality among gamers spectacularly collapses.

The HD shooter audience is 78 percent male.
The HD action game audience is 80 percent male.
The HD sports game audience is 85 percent male.