Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Co-Creator: Movie Designs "Fix What Isn't Broken"

Oct 20, 2010
ShakerSilver said:

I can't say I'm happy with the designs either.
I mean really, a do-rag and shades for Raph? Taped-glasses and goggles for Don? Could they not properly write personalities for them so they had to give them features to constantly remind us which ones were "the tough one" and "the smart one"? I thought the bandanas were enough to tell them apart.

Where do I go to vomit? Also I would like to point out to the Artist who Draw Raphael: THAT IS NOT HOW YOU HOLD SAI you fucking Idiots! If you hold your fingers in the Tines for catching weapons, you will get you fucking fingers CUT OFF!! Not to mention that you get ZERO force holding them that way.
I know this from spending 10 seconds with youtube, after buying Sai because I love Raph. It REALLY isn't difficult to get information on things anymore.
I will accept this Dew rag if and ONLY IF, you get Ice-T to voice Raph. It's still bull shit, but that would make it tolerable.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
The extras really put me off, the stupid and useless bamboo armor over turtle shell especially annoys me. Raphael's look makes me wonder if they're going to be the turtle version of mudflap or skids. The lips, especially on Michelangelo are uncanny valley level of disturbing. I actually like Donatello's design the most, but it's so different from the others that it doesn't fit.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't think the new designs are all that bad actually. Sure maybe some of the additional accessories are a bit much, but overall I think these designs work.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
ShakerSilver said:
Donatello looks like he fell into a JRPG dressing room. Raphael looks like a Krogan wearing sunglasses. Michaelangelo looks weirdly feminine, and don't even get me started on Leo's bamboo armour and shoulderpads...

Definitely a candidate for worst reboot ever.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Trishbot said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
The turtles have never looked good in live-action. They didn't look good back in the costumed films and they don't look good now that they're CGI. They're only passable in the comics, or in 2D animation.
That may be opinion, but I STILL think that, nearly 20 years later, those costumes looked FANTASTIC.

Granted, they got worse and worse as the movies went on, but they were detailed, animated, and even flexible enough to allow their performers to do all the kicks and flips required from a 90's era action movie. I STILL prefer that over the CG iterations we've seen recently.
Going to have to +1 you there. I watched the trailer for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the only thought going through my mind was "what kind of abomination unto nature is that thing?!" Then when it talked... I mostly just face palmed. The original "beaked" look the turtles had was alien, but it wasn't frightening, either. They were more rounded in shape, which made them feel less threatening. The new ones would scare the crap out of anyone.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
The turtles have never looked good in live-action. They didn't look good back in the costumed films and they don't look good now that they're CGI. They're only passable in the comics, or in 2D animation.
The costumes did look better than these monstrosities...

and at least the older films didn't have two stupid things attached to them:

1. a weak, dumbass "destiny" story that will likely accomplish nothing but getting groans out of the audience...

and 2. Michael Bay.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
TheDoctor455 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
The costumes did look better than these monstrosities...

and at least the older films didn't have two stupid things attached to them:

1. a weak, dumbass "destiny" story that will likely accomplish nothing but getting groans out of the audience...

and 2. Michael Bay.
They may look better by comparison (they do) but watching them as a kid I got uncanny valley vibes in ways I never got from the show.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
It stinks of Bay so it makes perfect sense for them to look like assholes with random extra crap. The Transformers were fine the way they looked. Then Bay comes along and think he can do better and we get some of the most uglyist robots ive ever seen crazy over the top busy bullshit.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
ShakerSilver said:

I mean really, a do-rag and shades for Raph? Taped-glasses and goggles for Don? Could they not properly write personalities for them so they had to give them features to constantly remind us which ones were "the tough one" and "the smart one"? I thought the bandanas were enough to tell them apart.
But this is a product (I'll never call any thing he's involved with "film" or even "movie" any more) with Michael Bay's name attached to it as producer. What is a character in a Michael Bay product if not a stereotype easily revealed by appearance (especially when it comes to stereotypical, superfluous racial identifiers in the presence of racial ambiguity - as seen in Transformers)? I swear the man's mind is still in middle school. Ye gods I hope this thing flops so magnificently as to make his name an industry pariah.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Ukomba said:
I actually like Donatello's design the most
I wager, it's because his... for whatever reason... looks like the original turtles.

I don't notice an extended nose, eyebrow ridges or lips. His actually looks like a beak, and his nose is simply slits, which looks believable for turtles (even though turtles actually do have extended noses for breathing from below water.)

That's something I don't get, actually. If you're going to make noses... why human noses... and not actual turtle noses?

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
SilverStuddedSquirre said:
ShakerSilver said:

Where do I go to vomit? Also I would like to point out to the Artist who Draw Raphael: THAT IS NOT HOW YOU HOLD SAI you fucking Idiots! If you hold your fingers in the Tines for catching weapons, you will get you fucking fingers CUT OFF!! Not to mention that you get ZERO force holding them that way.
I know this from spending 10 seconds with youtube, after buying Sai because I love Raph. It REALLY isn't difficult to get information on things anymore.
I will accept this Dew rag if and ONLY IF, you get Ice-T to voice Raph. It's still bull shit, but that would make it tolerable.
Nice catch, mate. You can wrap your thumb around one tine, place you index finger down the length of the handle and wrap your other fingers around the opposite tine (hard to explain but you can find pictures for reference real easy). This works for use of the weapon in "reverse" grip (it's actually the primary grip) with the shaft against your forearm to block, or to strike as you would with a night-stick, or to punch with the pommel at the base of the handle (holy crap that pommel can mess someone up just as much at the shaft can).

But the way he's pictured here, like he's about to get into the business and fight holding the weapon that way? No. No no no no no. Never. You are absolutely right. What is this garbage, a Michael Bay fl-? Oh.

I really love this weapon. It's extremely versatile - dangerous from every angle, it can be used to effectively block, punch, stab, strike, catch, dissarm, and even function as a balanced and effective projectile weapon.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
ExtraDebit said:
No one thought it's silly they wore mask? Mask was traditionally used to conceal who we are, the way TMNT does it just defeats the purpose first by giving it color code so we KNOW who's wearing the mask and second we already KNOW who's wearing the mask. There's only 4 of them in the world!

The word "ninja" literally means "hidden one" and if they still exist today they wouldn't be wearing mask or things that get them attention, they'll be wearing suit and tie or a hoodie to blend in with everyone else.
1) They wear headbands, not masks. This was because in the 80's, wearing a headband = martial artist, especially a red one (as they ALL wore in the original comics). They conceal themselves by actually HIDING and being stealthy. The reason for the Eye-holes, is that there is no room on their head to do it another way.

2)You are correct about the concealing clothes, the whole Pyjamas thing is a western misunderstanding of an old Japanese theater trope. whereby the Ninja was disguised as one of the stage hands, who wore all black so as not to be seen as part of the show. Feudal lords also made their servants dress all in black, and conceal their faces so the Lords would not have to Sully their eyes by looking on any peasants. You can only imagine how EASY that mad life for the Ninja for a while.

3) They're Ninja. If you DO see them, and notice the color of their masks, you are already dead.
You should watch the trailer where Michelangelo said "look it's just a mask".

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
ExtraDebit said:
The word "ninja" literally means "hidden one" and if they still exist today they wouldn't be wearing mask or things that get them attention, they'll be wearing suit and tie or a hoodie to blend in with everyone else.
Or a trench coat and a fedora hat:

Oct 20, 2010
ExtraDebit said:
ExtraDebit said:
No one thought it's silly they wore mask? Mask was traditionally used to conceal who we are, the way TMNT does it just defeats the purpose first by giving it color code so we KNOW who's wearing the mask and second we already KNOW who's wearing the mask. There's only 4 of them in the world!

1) They wear headbands, not masks. This was because in the 80's, wearing a headband = martial artist, especially a red one (as they ALL wore in the original comics). They conceal themselves by actually HIDING and being stealthy. The reason for the Eye-holes, is that there is no room on their head to do it another way.

2)You are correct about the concealing clothes, the whole Pyjamas thing is a western misunderstanding of an old Japanese theater trope. whereby the Ninja was disguised as one of the stage hands, who wore all black so as not to be seen as part of the show. Feudal lords also made their servants dress all in black, and conceal their faces so the Lords would not have to Sully their eyes by looking on any peasants. You can only imagine how EASY that mad life for the Ninja for a while.

3) They're Ninja. If you DO see them, and notice the color of their masks, you are already dead.
You should watch the trailer where Michelangelo said "look it's just a mask".
I have watched the trailer. I also REJECT THIS REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE- REALITY -

Just because it makes a funny, doesn't mean it's true. Also go watch 80's movies and you will definiteively see headband = Karate = badass

Oct 20, 2010
HardkorSB said:
ExtraDebit said:
Or a trench coat and a fedora hat:

This post is Fucking AWESOME! Why? Because your avatar is a Critter, and Raph was going to see critters!

/head go BOOM!

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
The sad thing is we'll never see the trench coat and fedora thing in the Bay movies because their ridiculous size makes it impossible.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I'm serverely disappointed in the direction they are going with the turtles in this movie, but I am still going to see it because I enjoy watching bad movies in theaters. I saw Battleship, Last Airbender, Dragonball Evolution, Legend of Chun Li, and Xmen Origins Wolverne. I must know how far down the totem pole we can go! How much can they damage the things I hold dear? I mean we can still have fun with this. Observe:

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
It can definitely work. If only though that they do an entire redesign overhaul. Perhaps it's just uncanny valley land, but nothing is more creepy than an almost humanoid but now quite human, hyper realistic turtle man (or any beast creature I might add)

In my opinion, the only way for it to look appealing is if they go the way of Master Roshi's design. Basically an upright rat with human like attributes to the design.

If they wanted to keep it "human like" then they can emphasize on a more beaked head like real turtles and adjust the body anatomy accordingly. Even diminish the shell till it's nothing more than a really hard back rump. It can work...but you know...brand recognition and all.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dragonbums said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
It can definitely work. If only though that they do an entire redesign overhaul. Perhaps it's just uncanny valley land, but nothing is more creepy than an almost humanoid but now quite human, hyper realistic turtle man (or any beast creature I might add)

In my opinion, the only way for it to look appealing is if they go the way of Master Roshi's design. Basically an upright rat with human like attributes to the design.

If they wanted to keep it "human like" then they can emphasize on a more beaked head like real turtles and adjust the body anatomy accordingly. Even diminish the shell till it's nothing more than a really hard back rump. It can work...but you know...brand recognition and all.
I think you're confusing your Masters :p