Tekken 7 Character Excluded From U.S. Release After Negative Feedback

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Jonathan Hornsby said:
Adam Jensen said:
Jonathan Hornsby said:
Except the customers in question were extremely vocal about not wanting the character in the game.
What about the people who want the character? Just because they don't scream loud enough like a bunch of crazies doesn't mean that they don't exist. We live in a sad fuckin' world if a bunch of nobodies can take something away from the rest of the people because they don't like it. Don't like it, don't use it. That fuckin' simple. They should grow the fuck up instead of acting offended because of a freakin' video game character. It's pathetic.
Hard truth of reality; if you don't make your voice heard, your voice isn't counted. And if you don't make your opinion or desire known, it is ignored. Its always been like that, the internet hasn't changed it. The silent majority has never been in charge of making decisions, because they actively avoid engaging the debate; they are silent. And if the people who want this character remain silent, then the developer will listen to the only voices he can hear. That's life, and like it or not that's fair.
You both need to stop pretending this was anything but a spoiled tantrum from a childish dev. Seriously, this wasn't about listening to customers, this was "don't like my stuff? FINE, I'm taking my ball and going HOME! Oh? You want it now? Well, better beg me reeeeeal nice..."

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
We can only hope the skinhead has the same moveset for maximum troll points.

Well anyway if he is serious I'm in Europe so its not going to effect me, I'm looking forward to Tekken which is a series I haven't played in a while. Been playing tag HD and order tag 2 to get back into Tekken before I get 7.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Do we have any confirmation besides a tweet from him that this is happening? Something said while he was mad could just be him blowing off steam. I just find it hard to believe someone would go so far because of a Neogaf thread. Now onto my opinion... Fucking really people? One fighter out of how many makes you so mad you want her removed from the game? If you don't fucking like her, don't play as her. Play as one of the many other fighters.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
For me it's pretty simple. If you cut content = I don't buy the game, if you include all content = I buy the game. I'm against censorship and if they cut content like this due to "complaints" I just won't buy the product. My thoughts were similar to prudes and SJWs and such demanding edits to Soul Calibur and Dead Or Alive characters in the past.

I'm awful at fighting games, but I enjoy them, so I've been a regular customer of series like Tekken, Street Fighter, Soul Caliber, Dead Or Alive, and numerous smaller ones that many people wouldn't have heard of. Ultra sexy costumes and such aren't necessary, but they can be entertaining in the right context, and I detest censorship on principle, even things I disagree with. Basically if your not inciting a riot or something you have the right to say it, and I just can't see a Harajuku style bunny themed costume starting riots.

If they cut the character or edit it, I hope the game tanks.

But then again I have little faith in gamers. Before the term was even a thing SJWs pretty much killed the survival horror genera. One little known factoid was that when the Demo for "Silent Hill 2" was released liberals rallied over how extreme the content was, especially with these "new fangled PS-2 graphics" and how wrong it was to be bludgeoning children to death, even flayed zombie children. The result was that "Silent Hill 2" was content edited which is one of the reasons why it was a decade or so before I played the game, and in doing it I ensured I obtained a used copy so the company would make no money from my purchase. There were also complaints holding over from the first game about them daring to use Satanism (or something similar to it) and so on. The ironic result was that "Silent Hill 2" became one of the most popular games in the genera, but it also ensured that horror developers were not going to push the envelope, "Silent Hill 2" for all it's quality became the template for horror games, and you saw elements from that game being recycled through the survival horror genera where everything was "psychological horror" and you saw inane re appearances by Pyramid head, and duplications of the same thing even in other similar games. The result of course was people claiming they ran out of ideas, and increasingly becoming irate over how everything was the same, and it seemed the genera peaked with "Silent Hill 2" and all people did, including the holders of that franchise, was imitate what was done before. People tend to overlook the successful censorship campaign, which the people involved in doubtlessly thought was "for the best". We see some attempts at a resurgence of the genera, but so far it seems like mixed results because it still seems like those developing games are afraid to push the envelope, due to fears over backlash if content actually makes people feel deeply uncomfortable. Even the Silent Hill movies, or perhaps especially them, seemed to tread into safe territory which on a lot of levels made them interesting (reviews are mixed) but kind of weak, especially compared to other horror fare where the creators intentionally set out to shock and horrify as opposed to create a video gamed theme park tour (and ironically it could be argued that was exactly what Silent Hill 2, the movie, was all about... it was allegedly connected and using a lot of the same FX and material from Universal's Silent Hill haunted house at their parks that year).

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I'm more surprised Tekken is still a thing, the I am about people bitching about something insignificant, or some one over reacting to said bitching.

Least the visit to this thread isn't a total wash
SweetShark said:

Ah, much better.
As I approve of this.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Therumancer said:
If he is serious than while he may be cutting content he'll be replacing it with exclusive content in the skinhead. To make the characters comparable the skinhead may well be a pop singer possibly even... I can only hope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factoid

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
1)I wonder since when Escapist became full of butthurt people who can't recognize sarcasm?
2)If you dislike character don't pick it. Is it too hard to do?
3)I personally don't care about this character or fighting games in particular, but anytime someone starts bitching and moaning that they dislike A, B or C and demand developers to change things, I smell arrogance in the air. And I hate that smell.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Rozalia1 said:
We can only hope the skinhead has the same moveset for maximum troll points.

Well anyway if he is serious I'm in Europe so its not going to effect me, I'm looking forward to Tekken which is a series I haven't played in a while. Been playing tag HD and order tag 2 to get back into Tekken before I get 7.
Oh, OH!!!! A Nega Lucky Chloe!!!!

His name will be Leoch Uckyl and he will speak only Japanese and even if he will be manlier as f*ck he will use the same moves like the original one.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Wait, THIS is the character that is somehow offensive to americans? Not Bob... the overweight, blonde-headed american who was put in the last game specifically to troll American tournament players who wouldn't stop calling Hwaorang "Bob", but this relatively benign moe-blob?

I'm surprised I missed this controversy, but until I research further I'm just saying I don't see what the fuss was about.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
If people dont like the character, then don't play as them. Simple as that. Complaining to the point where the dev removes the character from the game for the US release is only harming their version of the game, and putting the people who are excited for that character out into the cold. My bet is that after the game releases, people will be clamoring for the character to be added in again.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
And nothing of value was lost. Can we have an option to block the entire game from America too?

Okay, now that I'm tired of being petty, this guy needs to grow up. Heaven forbid that not everyone strokes your ego.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
So he's getting all his feedback from Twitter and Neogaf? Of course the vast majority of it is gonna be retarded.
And you just bloody know 90% of them were never going to buy the game anyway.

That said, he's really not reacting maturely to this. Though the skinhead comment is immaturely funny in more ways than one.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
FirstNameLastName said:
Hahaha. Oh wow. He sulked about the criticism so much, and talked about taking his ball and going home. I didn't think he would actually do it.
This sounds like something a bully would say.

You (not you specifically) do not get to be an asshole to someone and then when they say, "fuck you guys, I'm leaving", and then you and your friends go, "What an asshole."

No. YOU were the one being an asshole to start with, you don't get to call him out.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't do it! Release her, Harada! RELEASE! HER! This has caused such an unnecessarily huge uproar in the Tekken fandom that I NEED to main and get good with her now. This is important to me, Harada. Don't wuss out on me! Sakurai wouldn't wuss out!

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I'm not a Tekken player, but this irritates me just like the Target thing. Again, options are being narrowed because someone complained.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
That seems like a harsh reaction on his part.

I don't play Tekken, but I'd be more inclined to with her in it. Imagine it: A plucky, J-Pop catgirl beating the living daylights out of flat-faced thugs. It'd be beautiful.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
Fox12 said:
Okay, now that I'm tired of being petty, this guy needs to grow up. Heaven forbid that not everyone strokes your ego.
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
That said, he's really not reacting maturely to this.
Why is his fault? He's just reacting acordingly. He made a character, people complained, said it was offensive, how could he dare to add it to the game, etc.
If he wanted, just to kick right in the balls he could have said "Due to the amounts of violence the game contains it wont be released in the US to avoid tainting the minds of the young children.".

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
three words: Frakk these dumpheads!

They like skinhead and mascular because they are obese (anything but 'manli' in appearance) who are afraid that everybody who sees them play cutie characters will discover their latent homosexuality.

And those are most surely the same kind of jerks proclaiming all over the nets that sexism isn't an issue.

These people get on my balls, big time.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Gatlank said:
Fox12 said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
That said, he's really not reacting maturely to this.
Why is his fault? He's just reacting accordingly. He made a character, people complained, said it was offensive, how could he dare to add it to the game, etc.
If he wanted, just to kick right in the balls he could have said "Due to the amounts of violence the game contains it wont be released in the US to avoid tainting the minds of the young children.".
It's not his fault. Now that I think about it, this might just be him trolling the people complaining about it.

And who said it was offensive? I haven't seen any comments like that. Linky linky?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Ugh, she looked like an air juggler. Thank goodness I don't have to deal with that shit.