Tekken 7 Director Reveals New Character, Clarifies "Lucky Chloe" Situation

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Ihateregistering1 said:
I don't think people hated Lucky Chloe because she was a stereotype (also, what the hell is a "Cat Girl Stereotype"? Is it offensive to women who think they are Catwoman?) I thought people hated her because they thought the character was completely ridiculous looking, especially in a fighter like Tekken that at least tries to be somewhat serious.
Tekken and the word "serious" don't really go hand in hand. I mean we've got Tiger headed wrestlers, Bears, Pandas, Raptors (of the Jurassic Park type), Kangaroos, "Ogres", Demons, Angels... The list keeps going the longer the series runs, but its basic Anime stuff more or less. So a Cat Girl isn't that outrageous... No more outrageous than Paul's flattop or Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan clones (never mind the Cyborgs and robots).
Ok, you're correct, I think "goofy" was more the word I was looking for than "serious".

Still, just looking at the character, honestly the first thought that popped into my head was "this character is really, really, dumb looking". Obviously that's just my opinion, but to me she seemed like someone who'd be much more appropriate in "Skullgirls", a game that aims for a somewhat goofy and wacky aesthetic.

I just thought the whole idea of "she's wearing a cat outfit, she's a stereotype!" was sort of bizarre. I'm not a stereotype expert, but I was really struggling to think of any group that is stereotyped as wearing cat outfits regularly (well, except for Furries, maybe).

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Ihateregistering1 said:
**SNIP**
Ok, you're correct, I think "goofy" was more the word I was looking for than "serious".

Still, just looking at the character, honestly the first thought that popped into my head was "this character is really, really, dumb looking". Obviously that's just my opinion, but to me she seemed like someone who'd be much more appropriate in "Skullgirls", a game that aims for a somewhat goofy and wacky aesthetic.

I just thought the whole idea of "she's wearing a cat outfit, she's a stereotype!" was sort of bizarre. I'm not a stereotype expert, but I was really struggling to think of any group that is stereotyped as wearing cat outfits regularly (well, except for Furries, maybe).
I getcha, its a bit goofy yeah but nothing so horrendous that I'd want it gone from the game. The whole issue IMO is just one of those internet nontroversies that crop up because raisins or something. I can't fit a stereotype around that character even with a paradigm shift and some quantum pliers...

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Could we please stop it with calling it a "stereotype" every time that, say, a Saudi guy dresses like a Saudi guy?

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Megacherv said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
Liam Steel said:
Cat girl stereotype? I didn't know they were such an oppressed group.
Everyone these days is oppressed, real or fictional. But after seeing this new character, I'm going to find a nice bunker to hide in because it's only a matter of time until this guy creates an absolute politically correct shitstorm.

But in all seriousness, for the sake of everyone at Bandai-Namco, I say stick to offending cat girls and nerds and whoever else, but maybe pull Shaheen from the roster. Because unlike any other supposedly offensive characters you might make, this one could lead to people getting hurt.
Not particularly, he consulted the Middle Eastern fighting game community and they thought the design looked really good, and the fact is that that's hope Saudi people often dress. Nobody complained when Bob was introduced and he was a fat american guy in a work shirt and denim dungarees, or Miguel who looks like his name sounds.
Nobody complained when Bob was revealed, because if anyone had (and especially these days) they'd be told to "check their privilege." If you're white, fat, and American (and Bob was all three), then you're not allowed to be upset.

And Harada could do all the consulting he wants, people who like to be offended are going to be offended no matter what. Plus, if the last couple years have proven anything, it's that it doesn't matter if actual gamers find something offensive or not, it's who has a megaphone and is willing to shout the loudest.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Spot1990 said:
Ihateregistering1 said:
I don't think people hated Lucky Chloe because she was a stereotype (also, what the hell is a "Cat Girl Stereotype"? Is it offensive to women who think they are Catwoman?) I thought people hated her because they thought the character was completely ridiculous looking, especially in a fighter like Tekken that at least tries to be somewhat serious.

Now, granted, I haven't played Tekken since about Tekken 3, so maybe the series has gone completely bonkers since then, but I just thought she looked like a really dumb character.

And also, with the exception of the sword, Shaheen looks and dresses like dozens of men I met during my time in the Middle East, so I'm not sure why that makes him a "stereotype"
Well even stopping at 3 you've still got Kuma/Panda, Alex/Roger, Gon and Doctor B. Maybe the first Tekken game was serious but that was it.
king is a character in the original tekken

he is a wrestler wearing a cougar head that blinks and makes roaring noises

i'm not really sure where "serious" ever entered the situation, i mean even when they killed their characters off in order to make it seem more serious, we ended up with incredibly hammy angels and demons crap

it's just a fighting game, it's not high drama

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
WTH man...now we have devs threatening to remove content over hurt feelings? Where was this thin-skinned pandering masquerading as "sensitivity" during the DmC debacle? I understand that devs have to cater to the fanbase, but at some point they have to choose a vision and implement it PROPERLY. The peanut gallery is supposed to guide you, not define you!

Honestly, in the case of DmC, it MIGHT have been redeemable if they had just gone full hog in another direction (potentially rebranding the title as a new franchise). But the manner in which they behaved with their fans scuttled them long before any other considerations. It's not quite as serious here...but really...the dev is threatening to take his toys home if enough people don't make him feel good about his choices?

We're his consumers...make us a good product that is worth buying. This isn't some domestic relationship that requires constant validation. If it is...where the hell are my checks from Namco?!

EDIT: as a member of the demographic that would be sensitive to the portrayal of "Shaheen," I'm just hoping he's not as culturally myopic as so much of these sort of characters tend to be. However, I fully support and applaud the inclusion of such a character, granted that first hurdle is cleared.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Ooh, Neat, a Saudi Fighter and he looks wicked cool(and ruggedly handsome). I wonder what his fighting style will be?

Though I will say, that if weren't for his flamboyant dress sense, he'd probably pass as a generic bearded grizzled game-protagonist stereotype instead.

weirdee said:
it's just a fighting game, it's not high drama
No, how can games start being taken seriously as high art unless ALL OF THEM are supersrs, dark and mature. [sup]/s[/sup]

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
M0rp43vs said:
Ooh, Neat, a Saudi Fighter and he looks wicked cool(and ruggedly handsome)
Shaheen here reminds of that one "super handsome real dude" from Dubai that gets kicked out of Saudi Arabia for being too handsome. lol (Omar Borkan al Gala is his name)

ShogunGino

Oct 27, 2008
My objection to Lucky Chloe wasn't in that she was dumb or too silly. I mean, I do think she's dumb, but that's never stopped me from enjoying several fighting games before. Or just many games, in general.

It also wasn't that she was 'stereotypical'. No, stereotypical is not the right word to describe her.

Being one who does work his way through various Japanese animation, as well as video games heavy in Japanese flavor, I am no stranger to the concept of cat girls. Like any media, you start to notice certain patterns and trends in character types, and the pattern with cat girls is very, VERY easy to pick up on. The other thing that Japanese media has made me more acquainted with than I'd like is the pop idol, which Chloe is also.

The second I saw Chloe's design, I instantly knew how her voice would sound, what her physical mannerisms would be, and how she would speak. Well, I didn't predict the constant Engrish, actually, but I did predict her random 'nya', in the middle of fighting.

Stereotypical is not the right word to describe her. The word to describe her is 'generic', and that's my objection to her. I think that she is generic otaku-bait that had very little in terms of creativity put into her character.

That said, I think that the stink raised over her went too far, as I feel with many controversies. Oversimplify, then over-exaggerate. I didn't think she should be removed. I think she should have been improved, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't going to happen, at least not to my tastes.

As for the new guy, I'm kind of a sucker for a sort of Persian/Arabic aesthetic, so I kinda like where they're going. I just wish his head dress was white instead of the red/white pattern because I think it clashes badly with his simplistic color scheme on his clothing. Unless that's a cultural thing that I'm not aware of.

PetitDemon

Jan 4, 2015
Harada was just "trolling" or joking, obviously. That was pretty obvious from the beginning. He was having a bit of fun over a silly situation. A bit of cynical sarcasm, if you will.

It does make you realize how we over here in the West who like Japanese video games aren't the only ones who make "Hah, would you prefer a big muscle-man, instead?", jokes.

While not all of Japan's cute culture is all sunshine and rainbows. While empowering femininity is a good thing, and the adoration of masculinity isn't a great thing. It has its flaws when innocence gets fetishized and you have Japanese idols shaving their head because they had the "audacity" to have a boyfriend.

That being said, simply having an idol-like character is not a bad thing and certainly isn't misplaced in the Tekken world.
Though I can see how people got into Tekken because they wanted realistic fighting styles. And are disappointed not to see more.

It's not worth boycotting the series like some people said they would, though. The game has always been silly, so people should have boycotted the game from the get-go if people were concerned about that sort of thing.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
I have to admit, that kinda a bitching design Shaheen is rocking, kinda like something out of AC: Revelations, only in the modern day.
Hope that sword isn't just for show, though. It'd be cool to get another weapon user into the series alongside Yoshimitsu :)

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Okay but how does he play?

Is he a striker? Grappler? Ranged? Zoning? Mix-up?

Just a name and a picture doesn't really tell players anything about the character.

It's the equivalent of posting a picture of a car without providing the specs.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
LysanderNemoinis said:
maybe pull Shaheen from the roster. Because unlike any other supposedly offensive characters you might make, this one could lead to people getting hurt.
That's a little cynical, I think. Are you suggesting Muslims will get violent because of the inclusion of this character? Perhaps if he was some horribly disrespectful stereotype who wore a bomb vest and summoned genies into battle (or whatever), but this guy looks pretty sensible. He's in national dress, sure, but a strong visual identity is a key part of fighting games so it'd be odd if this one character didn't follow suit. This being a modern game with alternate outfits, I'm certain he also has more contemporary and Westernised clothing options. The scimitar might be a bit much for some people, but it's not really any more stereotyped than a Japanese character having a Katana.

I'm also not sure what the fuss is about regarding the Lucky Star character. The accusations of her being stereotyped, unbelievable as a fighter, and eye-candy could be applied to almost all of the female roster (and a few of the guys). My reaction isn't that the claims are wrong, but, why now? Why single out this one character and not, say, Lili?

Bayushi_Kouya

Mar 31, 2009
::Raises hand:: as someone who cares a little bit (only a little, I have no Tekken-related tattoos), my issue with Lucky Chloe is that she could quite possibly be a barometer for the series' direction. I don't personally care if there's a cat-girl in the game -- had no problems with Felicia in Darkstalkers -- my problem is that I can see a future where we're drifting towards the entire cast being cat-girls.

Between the increasingly large number of characters catering to specific Japanese fetishes, I'm starting to wonder if characters I like and enjoy using are going to be cut so that more cat-girls and improbably skilled world-class martial artists who are also high school students will be included to cater to a demographic I'm not a part of.

Looking at the most recent line up of characters circa TTT2, I don't feel great worry, but an ember still exists. Perhaps it is my American upbringing, but the treatment of a lot of characters in Tekken bothers the shit out of me. The story swings wildly between serious, Shakespearan drama and wacky Looney Tunes slapstick with no warning. I have no problem with either of those separately, but mixing them together is like combining chili and ice cream -- I like them both, but I'd like them served in separate dishes.

I'm pleased to see Shaheen -- even if his name makes me grind my teeth slightly -- especially after the Zafina fiasco. I hope he's a stance-zoner, but frankly I'll play him no matter what (as I always grab one of the new characters to learn when a fighting game I follow releases a sequel).

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
For a game that has had a Panda trained as a fighter to become a bodyguard - i find that more stupid that a cat girl character. No one should ever complain about a game having extra characters. You can always chose not to use them. An Tekken is the last game a person could ever claim as being serious.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Ihateregistering1 said:
I thought people hated her because they thought the character was completely ridiculous looking, especially in a fighter like Tekken that at least tries to be somewhat serious.

Now, granted, I haven't played Tekken since about Tekken 3, so maybe the series has gone completely bonkers since then, but I just thought she looked like a really dumb character.

I really don't see Chloe sticking out much in that lineup, honestly. I mean, she's only dressed like a cat. There are two actual bears, a living wooden statue, and a kangaroo in there.

Edit: just checked, the statue and panda are tekken 4, but the others have been in since 2.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Batou667 said:
That's a little cynical, I think. Are you suggesting Muslims will get violent because of the inclusion of this character? Perhaps if he was some horribly disrespectful stereotype who wore a bomb vest and summoned genies into battle (or whatever), but this guy looks pretty sensible. He's in national dress, sure, but a strong visual identity is a key part of fighting games so it'd be odd if this one character didn't follow suit. This being a modern game with alternate outfits, I'm certain he also has more contemporary and Westernised clothing options. The scimitar might be a bit much for some people, but it's not really any more stereotyped than a Japanese character having a Katana.
Agreed, he looks pretty reasonable to me; I don't think a keffiyeh or an Arabian sword are at all stereotypical. Even if this wasn't a fighting game with nationalist fighers I'd say he looks fine. Granted, and portrayal that doesn't involve a hook nose, huge beard, or the billionarie/bomber/belly dancer tropes is already doing OK.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
The sword is too much even if fans cosultated but it's not terrible, just silly enough for Tekken. Chloe was overboard though (but then so is a pink haired robot girl ¬_¬)