Tekken 7 Director Reveals New Character, Clarifies "Lucky Chloe" Situation

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
JarinArenos said:
Ihateregistering1 said:
I thought people hated her because they thought the character was completely ridiculous looking, especially in a fighter like Tekken that at least tries to be somewhat serious.

Now, granted, I haven't played Tekken since about Tekken 3, so maybe the series has gone completely bonkers since then, but I just thought she looked like a really dumb character.

I really don't see Chloe sticking out much in that lineup, honestly. I mean, she's only dressed like a cat. There are two actual bears, a living wooden statue, and a kangaroo in there.

Edit: just checked, the statue and panda are tekken 4, but the others have been in since 2.
excluding the lizard fighting bars and Kangaroos aren't too farfetched, they did that for years during the turn of the 19th century ;)

mrbah

Sep 16, 2014
StriderShinryu said:
Is Shaheen a stereotype? Yes, but his design was actually created in part through consultations with fighting game fans in the Middle East. If you look at the original concept art for Shaheen he was basically an Assassin's Creed character but his appearance was toned down considerably based on that consultation. So, given that he was at least to some extent a Saudi stereotype created by Saudi people, is there really that much to complain about and repeatedly reference throughout the article?
we should consult cat girls and have them redesign the catgirl.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
V4Viewtiful said:
excluding the lizard fighting bars and Kangaroos aren't too farfetched, they did that for years during the turn of the 19th century ;)
Also the cyborg and the dude with a cheetah head, the guy who breakdances, and the space ninja with the demon sword. "Catgirl" is downright tame. :p

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
JarinArenos said:
V4Viewtiful said:
Also the cyborg and the dude with a cheetah head, the guy who breakdances, and the space ninja with the demon sword. "Catgirl" is downright tame. :p
He's not break dancing, fighting robots is an age old tradition and the dude with a cheetah head? You look me in the eye (metaphorically speaking) and tell me that doesn't look cool!

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
V4Viewtiful said:
He's not break dancing, fighting robots is an age old tradition and the dude with a cheetah head? You look me in the eye (metaphorically speaking) and tell me that doesn't look cool!
God no, I love it all. I'm just arguing that Lucky Chloe fits right in with the rest of them, and this has never been a "serious" series.

Edit: And I played the hell out of Tekken Tag with Eddy. He might as well have been motion-capped from a breakdance competition. :p

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
JarinArenos said:
V4Viewtiful said:
God no, I love it all. I'm just arguing that Lucky Chloe fits right in with the rest of them, and this has never been a "serious" series.
I don't know man, unless she's hiding blades in her paws and has razor sharp teeth? Eh... :/

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
V4Viewtiful said:
I don't know man, unless she's hiding blades in her paws and has razor sharp teeth? Eh... :/
The majority of fighters in the game don't have any special weapons. I think we're well into the realm of personal taste here, and you're just gonna have to say you don't like the design, rather than try finding substantive objections. I mean, if Julia can fight in a halter-top, miniskirt and cowboy boots...

Llarys

Aug 28, 2013
ShogunGino said:
My objection to Lucky Chloe wasn't in that she was dumb or too silly. I mean, I do think she's dumb, but that's never stopped me from enjoying several fighting games before. Or just many games, in general.

It also wasn't that she was 'stereotypical'. No, stereotypical is not the right word to describe her.

Being one who does work his way through various Japanese animation, as well as video games heavy in Japanese flavor, I am no stranger to the concept of cat girls. Like any media, you start to notice certain patterns and trends in character types, and the pattern with cat girls is very, VERY easy to pick up on. The other thing that Japanese media has made me more acquainted with than I'd like is the pop idol, which Chloe is also.

The second I saw Chloe's design, I instantly knew how her voice would sound, what her physical mannerisms would be, and how she would speak. Well, I didn't predict the constant Engrish, actually, but I did predict her random 'nya', in the middle of fighting.

Stereotypical is not the right word to describe her. The word to describe her is 'generic', and that's my objection to her. I think that she is generic otaku-bait that had very little in terms of creativity put into her character.

That said, I think that the stink raised over her went too far, as I feel with many controversies. Oversimplify, then over-exaggerate. I didn't think she should be removed. I think she should have been improved, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't going to happen, at least not to my tastes.
This pretty much sums up the issue, in my opinion. Although, I don't play Tekken, so maybe I'm not the best gauge of the issue.

The response against the character was blown way out of proportion (but what on the internet isn't?); however the character absolutely deserves criticism for being lazy, trite, and generic.

A cat-girl themed pop-idol from Japan? Wooooaaahhh. I've seen more creativity from Sonic Furry OC's (Do not steal) on deviantart. Glad to know Harada is really pushing himself to his artistic limits here.

I can't wait until he puts all of his "creative effort" into releasing a Blackface character, another creatively bankrupt design that is sure to cause some controversy.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I hope he has a Prince of Persia alt costume. I probably won't be getting 7 just because I don't have a console for it, but he looks like a dashing rogue...I wish I was a dashing rogue...

*snaps* He also reminds me of the guy from Rogue Galaxy who was voiced by Steve Blum. I think it's the beard.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Llarys said:
I can't wait until he puts all of his "creative effort" into releasing a Blackface character, another creatively bankrupt design that is sure to cause some controversy.
The darkest part of me (pun intended) is secretly wanting to see this happen XD

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
V4Viewtiful said:
Llarys said:
The darkest part of me (pun intended) is secretly wanting to see this happen XD
I hope they include Pizza Pasta and Glass Joe as DLC.

SunlightHeart

Oct 28, 2014
Ihateregistering1 said:
I don't think people hated Lucky Chloe because she was a stereotype (also, what the hell is a "Cat Girl Stereotype"? Is it offensive to women who think they are Catwoman?) I thought people hated her because they thought the character was completely ridiculous looking, especially in a fighter like Tekken that at least tries to be somewhat serious.

Now, granted, I haven't played Tekken since about Tekken 3, so maybe the series has gone completely bonkers since then, but I just thought she looked like a really dumb character.

And also, with the exception of the sword, Shaheen looks and dresses like dozens of men I met during my time in the Middle East, so I'm not sure why that makes him a "stereotype"
I didn't know Tekken was ever supposed to be even a bit serious. I've no idea what Tekken 3 was like, but at some point demons, cyborgs, aliens, a kangaroo, a velociraptor, a mad scientist, and a wooden training dummy made it into the roster. At this point, a cat girl is one of the more normal characters in the game.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
mrbah said:
StriderShinryu said:
Is Shaheen a stereotype? Yes, but his design was actually created in part through consultations with fighting game fans in the Middle East. If you look at the original concept art for Shaheen he was basically an Assassin's Creed character but his appearance was toned down considerably based on that consultation. So, given that he was at least to some extent a Saudi stereotype created by Saudi people, is there really that much to complain about and repeatedly reference throughout the article?
we should consult cat girls and have them redesign the catgirl.
As long as we get the help of catmen to redesign King and Armour King too.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
JarinArenos said:
I really don't see Chloe sticking out much in that lineup, honestly. I mean, she's only dressed like a cat. There are two actual bears, a living wooden statue, and a kangaroo in there.

Edit: just checked, the statue and panda are tekken 4, but the others have been in since 2.
Two actual bears, a living wooden statue, a kangaroo, a lizard man, oh, and two actual cat men. Yep, a cat girl or girl dressed as a cat girl sure can't belong in that roster.

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
I look at this guy and can't help but think that he's going to break their backs with the camel crusher, and make them "chaumble"!

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Liam Steel said:
Cat girl stereotype? I didn't know they were such an oppressed group.
I have you know,I have a lot of cat-friends and they are very opposed to how inaccurately they are represented in especially Japanese media. Yes, there are those who look like prepubescent girls who go 'Nyaa! Master-Sama desu desu!' but they are a minority. Most catgirls are overweight (by anime's standards anyway), hairy ladies who will puke hairballs in your shoes and mostly ignore you until they want food.