Tell Gearbox Why You Hated Duke Nukem Forever

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
I don't want to do the survey in case I win the Duke swag.
I did the survey and the first question is your name and email address. It's optional so if you don't enter it you won't be in the draw(ing).

[sub][sub]picky grammar people[/sub][/sub]

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I just want swag. I really enjoy free things, especially when they go on eBay and I make money.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Really, they need to drop the regenerating health and two-weapon limit. I mean, Half Life 2 had a protagonist who carried at least 12 weapons at one point. You're telling me they couldn't rip that off?

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
I'm not sure what they intend to gain from the survey. One of the questions is "Do you enjoy platforming/puzzles in first person shooters?"

Uh, I enjoy (good) puzzles and hate platforming. Thanks though.

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
Though I share many similar sentiments with other folks who played Duke Nukem Forever (two weapons, regenerating health), those are issues that could have been solved relatively easily (and in a way are on their way to being a little less irksome--four weapons instead of two. It's not the best solution, but it's the least we could have gotten to begin with).

My biggest issue of fault with DNF' is it can't seem to decide what pacing to employ. When I played Half-Life 2, I thought it was perfectly paced. By the time I was beginning to feel exhausted with one section or another, I'd reach a door that led to a new and interesting scenario.

In Duke Nukem Forever, everything goes by so fast, and by the time I was just beginning to become somewhat interested in a given section, they'd throw in a puzzle, or driving element, or I'd hear that background guitar noise signifying that the fun was over, and I'd slump to the next loading screen feeling rather unsatisfied.

Duke Nukem needs to be slightly less linear than DNF. It also needs to be slightly longer. Those are two things that require significant effort to combine, but if you want something to be good, you need to put in effort.

12 years is a long time, but what kind of effort was really put into the project? And not just work effort, but creative effort as well. Duke borrows so many things from other games, that I agree with Yahtzee on what he said: You can almost see the progression of game development throughout its history. The beginning of the game has a distinct Halo feel, moving unarmed through plot sequences until you get your first weapon and start defending yourself and your home. Then it goes through other phases, Call of Duty shoot'em up, an annoying driving section (note that I didn't find the driving as annoying as I did the being forced to stop driving every few minutes because "I ran out of gas".

I enjoy the concept of savoring a game, or savoring game time, and indeed I try to--but the game has to do some effort in convincing me that I need to take that much time. When I play Crysis, it's large open area lets me do things different every time I play it, and I can enjoy going slow and clever, or fast and furious; Duke Nukem Forever is too straight-forward to require much thinking, and while that's fine for an FPS game, it's not fine when it's more fast than furious. And DNF is really, really fast. I finished it in eight hours--sure it was the only thing I played for a day and a half, but while I was playing I was exploring the possibility of re-playing it, and I found very little to interest me.

There were also some moments in the game that might have been more entertaining to witness. A moment when a pig cop--which they can't even be called that anymore, now they're just mutated pigmen for the most part--closes a garage-style door on another pig cop made me laugh, as those little moments tend to make me. When I was walking slowly down the center path of a small classic western-style village, I saw tremendous opportunity for expansion. I saw pig cops playing five-card stud in a bar, giving an opportunity for another ego boost: if you kill three of them with a pistol and two with a shotgun, full house! Mow 'em all down with a Stinger, Straight Flush! And I was very, VERY disappointed when the pig cop that I saw slide into the street wasn't wearing a cowboy hat, hands at its sides ready to quick-draw its guns.

Small moments like that would have taken even more time, but the result would have been worth it. Despite taking 12 years to come out, Duke Nukem Forever feels rushed--again a point I agree with Yahtzee on--and ooooooh my god I didn't mean to type this much, so I'm just gonna stop here. I'm hungry, I enjoyed playing Duke Nukem Forever, albeit disappointed with the final product, and if they don't release the modding tools my disappointment will dissolve into abject rage and frustration. Seriously, when has modding EVER ruined a game--particularly a game that most would hail as not being very good in the first place.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
The Great JT said:
Really, they need to drop the regenerating health and two-weapon limit. I mean, Half Life 2 had a protagonist who carried at least 12 weapons at one point. You're telling me they couldn't rip that off?
Having only 2 guns at a time made things faster paced for me. I was constantly picking up random guns blowing all the ammo then finding another and repeating. I prefer that to carrying around guns I wont use half the time.

The regenerating health is a quality of life thing. Diving for med kits feels outdated.

I want Duke to scrap all the puzzles and platforming and just speed the game pace up. More violent over the top action. Hire Michael Bay.

Keep the humor its the best part of duke. Keep the world interactions.
Making the game non-linear would be nice but don't let choice slow the action down.

The vehicle sections are nice but not a priority.

Duke doesnt need multiplayer imo. We have plenty of shooters that have larger and more competitive audiences. I'd prefer duke tell a good story with choices, loads of action and mature humor.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I did it. Just pretty much gave answers that would rate the game as average because that's what I thought of it. I didn't particularly hate it, I just didn't like it either. It had bits when it was good and bits when it was bad, but the majority of the game was average.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Havent played the game, but I took the survey anyways. Seen enough gameplay footage to know how the game is. Won't be touching DNF, so hopefully they'll learn before the next one.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Dendio said:
Having only 2 guns at a time made things faster paced for me. I was constantly picking up random guns blowing all the ammo then finding another and repeating. I prefer that to carrying around guns I wont use half the time.
Thats not fast paced. That is annoying and fucked up design decision.

Dendio said:
The regenerating health is a quality of life thing. Diving for med kits feels outdated.
I would agree if it wasn't so unreliable in DNF. If they did the sectioned health(ALA Farcry 2) It would have suited it more

Dendio said:
I want Duke to scrap all the puzzles and platforming and just speed the game pace up. More violent over the top action. Hire Michael Bay.
Some puzzles were pretty good. Like that statue thing you had to climb.

Dendio said:
Keep the humor its the best part of duke. Keep the world interactions.
Agree wholeheartedly.

Dendio said:
Making the game non-linear would be nice but don't let choice slow the action down.
Partly disagree.
The levels should be more open like in DN3D. Part of the fun was the exploration and secrets in the game.

Dendio said:
The vehicle sections are nice but not a priority.
Disagree. The vehicles control like someone rubbed jello on the tires. They could make them optional like crysis does though.

Dendio said:
Duke doesnt need multiplayer imo. We have plenty of shooters that have larger and more competitive audiences. I'd prefer duke tell a good story with choices, loads of action and mature humor.
Wrong again. You are someone who haven't even played the previous one have you?
Multiplayer was probably the best part of the game. The huge variety of weapons and possibilities unparalleled by any other game on the market.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
I don't want to do the survey in case I win the Duke swag.
What you don't want pointless and useless merchandise! But think of the extra macho points you'd get; not only could you be a gak-head, you could be a gak-head in Duke shirt. A FETHING DUKE SHIRT, the gakking king of gak-heads.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Christ, you guys are a bunch of complaining grammar nazis.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/drawing
Fifth definition. Now shut up.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
InterAirplay said:
Susan Arendt said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Greg Tito said:
but you'll also be entered into a drawing to win some Duke Nukem swag. So you've got that going for you.
Not being picky (well, I am) but "drawing"? Am I missing something here? "Draw" surely? (Though it does say Drawing on the survey as well)
Yes, drawing. That's what it's called. So, surely not "draw", at least not on this side of the pond.
"a drawing"? If they were talking about physically inserting us into a drawing, that would defy all laws of reality.

If they meant to saw prize draw, as the context suggests, then that would make perfect sense.
So why would they write "drawing?" as in "Prize Drawing"? that would describe the act of drawing the names of prize recipients during the Prize Draw.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't make sense in any variation of English.
it dose in America(believe it or not) and its best not to question it any farther then that

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
InterAirplay said:
Susan Arendt said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Greg Tito said:
but you'll also be entered into a drawing to win some Duke Nukem swag. So you've got that going for you.
Not being picky (well, I am) but "drawing"? Am I missing something here? "Draw" surely? (Though it does say Drawing on the survey as well)
Yes, drawing. That's what it's called. So, surely not "draw", at least not on this side of the pond.
"a drawing"? If they were talking about physically inserting us into a drawing, that would defy all laws of reality.

If they meant to saw prize draw, as the context suggests, then that would make perfect sense.
So why would they write "drawing?" as in "Prize Drawing"? that would describe the act of drawing the names of prize recipients during the Prize Draw.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't make sense in any variation of English.
*shrug* Whether it makes sense or not, that's what it's called here in the States. We simply don't use the phrase "prize draw."

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Where's the space to add any other complaints/comments?

I've got a hell of alot of other stuff to say than how I feel about the humour or driving sections.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Gearbox does use a lot of surveys, but I'm glad they asked the big question at the start: Did you play this game? Granted, they'll get some liars in there, because all surveys do, but I think it will help in some fashion.

The game was fun if you're not a graphics whore and are more patient than others. They keep that in the reboot and add more, count me in.