Tell Me Lies, Tell Me Sweet Little Lies

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
What baffles me is how YouTube makes so much ad revenue in the first place. I almost never expand or watch an entire skippable ad, and am inclined to avoid channels with unskippable ones. Guessing I’m in the vast minority category there.
I set up a lot of youtube videos to play on my phone while in the car, and I have to watch ads (or listen to them) while driving because i can't tap the skip button. People watch the ads more than you think. I don't think there are nearly as many adblock users and non-adblockers.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I set up a lot of youtube videos to play on my phone while in the car, and I have to watch ads (or listen to them) while driving because i can't tap the skip button. People watch the ads more than you think. I don't think there are nearly as many adblock users and non-adblockers.
It wouldn’t be as big of an issue for me if ads were actually good. Usually they’re not though, and range from mere boring nuisance to something that has the exact opposite intended effect; as in, I’ll never buy that because of that horrible ad I was interrupted by.

First world problems I know haha.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I suppose if you really want get nitpicky, attracting a larger audience also ups the number of potential patrons. Personally, I chalk up his overly dramatic ways to him simply enjoying presenting things in overly dramatic ways.
Yeah, I get that. But usually when people talk about doing something "for the clicks", they mean that the author is only interested in inflating their site's traffic numbers through deceptive or outlandish headlines & thumbnails; it doesn't really fly when someone's bread-and-butter is built solely on longer-term engagement.

It wouldn’t be as big of an issue for me if ads were actually good. Usually they’re not though, and range from mere boring nuisance to something that has the exact opposite intended effect; as in, I’ll never buy that because of that horrible ad I was interrupted by.

First world problems I know haha.
Ooh, I don't know. I absolutely hate advertising with a consuming passion. Such vacuous, invasive nonsense.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, I get that. But usually when people talk about doing something "for the clicks", they mean that the author is only interested in inflating their site's traffic numbers through deceptive or outlandish headlines & thumbnails; it doesn't really fly when someone's bread-and-butter is built solely on longer-term engagement.
I mean Jim Sterling is obviously playing a character, it's what he does. He's always done that with the jimquisition videos, even back when he was on the Escapist. If you want honest and real Jim you have to watch his impressions videos of big name games. It's the only time he is really straightforward and not trying to do his "Act".

So yeah, he is doing it all "for clicks" but so is every Youtuber on the platform (at least the ones trying to make a living at it). But that's not always a bad thing, because despite the act, his opinions are well thought out and genuine. It isn't like he is being a wild man and throwing out crazy shit just for the sake of it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I didn't play RDR2 long enough to notice the technical detail on display there. I know that in GoW4 I can't remember many loading screens at all, but in the short time of RDR2 I remember a lot of loading. I believe the only loading times in GoW4 were when you zipped to a different realm, but even that was done with that magic ghost realm thing where you could walk around or whatever. I could be remembering that wrong.

Again i didn't play RDR2 long enough for it to hit with me.
I think RDR2’s equivalent of the realm “rings” in GoW were the train rides and scenery montages during fast travel. Other than loading the game saves I think the only noticeable leading sequences I recalled were those deer dreams or “visions” in between chapters
the animal you see depends on your honor level from what I’ve read

The game is too sprawling with too many characters to even think about something like what was done in God of War. That was specifically designed to be a “one shot” presentation, and just the planning involved in something like that is pretty mind boggling. I read Cory wanted to do it in the Tomb Raider reboot which he was I think the cinematic lead for, but they didn’t go for it. Oh well, it worked out better here anyways.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Indeed. The system even loads ps4 games much faster than the ps4 ever could. Its kind of like playing ps4 games on a pc now. Cleaner resolutions, fast loads, and consistant performance.
If I wanted to be 'that guy', I'd say it took the PS5 to finally deliver on what Sony promised the PS4 would be way back when the latter launched.

Pointing that out made me 'that guy'. Well fuck ... ... I'm not sorry.