Tennant Returns in 50th Anniversary Doctor Who Special

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Wow Moffats comment about the show moving forward and not looking back... Its the 50th anniversary? Its just some cop-out excuse for him not to include as many Doctors as he can. At least Big Finish is treating the 50th with some respect. The sooner Moffat is out of the head position, the sooner the show can 'move forward' and return to being good. Not the garbled, convoluted mess that Moffat has turned it into.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Doctor Who fans might remember that the last time we saw the tenth Doctor, he created a half-human half-time lord clone of himself and sealed him away in a parallel dimension with companion Rose Tyler. It's highly likely that the 50th anniversary storyline will take place in the parallel universe, as it's the only logical explanation that would see both Smith and Tennant appearing alongside each other (as well as the appearance of Rose).
Using logic when talking about Doctor Who? That's crazy!

William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee met each other in "The Three doctors" (1973)

In "The Five Doctors" (1983) Richard Hurndell (Playing the first doctor as William Hartnell had passed away), Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee and Peter Davison all met. Clips of Tom Baker were in the Five Doctors but he did not meet any of the others.

In "The Two Doctors" (1986) Patrick Troughton and Colin Baker met each other.

In "Time Crash" (2007) Peter Davison met David Tennant.

All of the above didn't have half-human half-Time Lord clones to meet. The TARDIS is a finiky thing when it comes to time lines. Also the Doctor's enemies and the Time Lords themselves have all been responsible for bringing various incarnations of the Doctor together in one place.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Quaxar said:
Barrowmaaaaan! Why didn't they let you in!

Though I've known about Tennant's return for days now this is the first time I hear about Captain Jack certainy not being in it. He was so eager to be in, I don't understand what Moffat was thinking...
Also, no Baker, McCoy or Davison as older parallel-world Doctors? Or at least another chance for McGann to reprise his short appearance as Eight?
Gotta say, I did expect more of this special.
To be fair Billie Piper has also stated that she isn't returning for this special and now is.

On the OP This is a show about a reincarnating time traveler getting different incarnations of the Dr meeting requires no parallel universe shenanigans, unlike say Bond the premise pretty much lends itself to this sort of thing. That they restrain themselves to the occasional anniversary special shows a level of restraint that many IPs wouldn't manage with similar excuses.

Rose requires a little bit more mucking about, but since at least Tennant's incarnation the show has shown its not afraid to occasionally break or bend to get round the supposedly absolute rules of the IP's universe to get a good plot.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
There needs to be a point where the writers need to stop, take a look at themselves and write something that isn't fan service. I'm getting really sick of Doctor Who where the same old things happen because the Doctor is a fantastic infallible person who can never lose. I want an episode/series where the bad guy wins or where the Daleks/Cybermen/Any recurring bad guy isn't a joke.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
TimeLord said:
Steven Bogos said:
Doctor Who fans might remember that the last time we saw the tenth Doctor, he created a half-human half-time lord clone of himself and sealed him away in a parallel dimension with companion Rose Tyler. It's highly likely that the 50th anniversary storyline will take place in the parallel universe, as it's the only logical explanation that would see both Smith and Tennant appearing alongside each other (as well as the appearance of Rose).

William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee met each other in "The Three doctors" (1973)

In "The Five Doctors" (1983) Richard Hurndell (Playing the first doctor as William Hartnell had passed away), Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee and Peter Davison all met. Clips of Tom Baker were in the Five Doctors but he did not meet any of the others.

All of the above didn't have half-human half-Time Lord clones to meet. The TARDIS is a finiky thing when it comes to time lines. Also the Doctor's enemies and the Time Lords themselves have all been responsible for bringing various incarnations of the Doctor together in one place.
Indeed, but the fact that Rose is gonna be in it means the parallel universe theory seem the most obvious

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mr Cwtchy said:
Er, 'fact'? Think you're misusing words there, dude.
Sorry, "bro," but I'm not misusing words. This is a lackluster cast. Everything they've got to draw on and they manage...Two people. Yup. Lackluster. Sorry, "homey."

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Oddly the more I hear about the specal, the more I miss Patrick Troughton. I suppose that's why I quite like Matt smith's take on the dr, it far more like Patrick's version then any of the others... Even down to stupid hats. Now that would be a meeting of dr's I'd pay ood money to see.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Why can't Peter Davison, or Colin Baker come back. But NOOOO! We get David "I don't want to go." Tennant. woo

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Is it wrong I'm kinda interested now? Still, I kinda wish they'd bring back Christopher Eccelston, so we'd have the trifecta of New Who Doctors...

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
TimeLord said:
Steven Bogos said:

I think the main problem they have a multi Doctor episode is the fact that most of the surviving Doctors are considerably older, fatter and balder than when they regenerated. The worse one being Colin Baker, only Tom Baker and Paul Mcgann look unchanged enough to get away with it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Indeed, but the fact that Rose is gonna be in it means the parallel universe theory seem the most obvious
I don't know about THAT. We last saw Rose in the abomination "The End of Time," where the Tenth goes to see her before this all happens, so he can say his extra emo goodbyes. Seems like it'd be easy enough to do the "The Doctor can meet himself on this rare instance because ponies" like the other crossovers did. And as such, it seems like pulling them out of any moment in time would be equally as obvious.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Bringing back Tennant? And only Tennant? Well that perfectly sums up Phd Who. I guess this is just so they can sell more DVD's for the kids. Who have no idea what came before Dave and Billie Pipers chest.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Awesome, another chance for people to fawn over the weakest of the 3 new Dr. Who's.

Real shame that it won't be Christopher Eccleston, personally I think it'd make more sense to have The Doctor that started this new generation of the show rather than the one that people love for...reasons.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if there's more going on than they're telling us. Think, they wouldn't want to reveal all the surprises in the special straight away, would they?

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I don't really... get why an anniversary special is supposed to be "looking forward" instead of looking back.

Like... what? That's the point of anniversary specials. They're supposed to incite fangasms and stuff. Moffat needs to go away.

Also, holy shit you guys hate Rose. I didn't think she was that bad at all. [sub][sub](River, on the other hand...)[/sub][/sub]

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
So no ones excited to see the zygons back? It's almost 20 years since everyone's favourt walking Cornish pasties. Where is the love?

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Only Tennant? I mean I like Tennant, don't get me wrong. However I was hoping we would get as many doctors as we could back. I was really hoping for McGann anyway. Also with no Jack does this mean that 11 isn't going to meet him? That would be a right same, I love Torchwood and Jack and would really like to see him meet 11.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
It's a shame my favourites (9th Doctor and Captain Jack) won't be returning. Such charismatic actors.

Billie Piper and Tennent were ok in my opinion, so a quick throw back is nice. November 23rd is a day I'll want to book off of work I think.