Tennant Returns in 50th Anniversary Doctor Who Special

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
First thought, oh sweet hes coming back are any of the other Doctors coming back or atleats their actors?

Second though, oh fuck. all the Tennant fanatics are going to start raving and shouting about how he should take over again/

themilo504

May 9, 2010
It?s a shame that 3 of the actors playing the doctor are dead I would love a story with all 11 doctors.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Holy crap. The amount of Tennant/Piper vitriol in this thread is actually kind of surprising. Christopher Ecclestan already said he wouldn't do it, and the only other Doctor who hasn't aged too much to make a return as the Doctor is probably Paul McGahn (which really only leaves cameos as other characters, and I'm sure someone would complain if Tom Baker came back as anyone but the Doctor.... And yes, I have seen Time Crash). I am disappointed that Barrowman isn't coming back, though. They really should of got another past Who star to return, just to avoid the ire and calls of fanservice with Tennant/Piper (even though ANY past stars coming back would be fanservice. Tom Baker making an appearance would be fanservice, admit it).

And come on, guys. Amy Pond is the Doctor's mother-in-law. River "Sue" Song is his freakin wife. And you all are complaining about Rose being a Mary Sue? I'm not the biggest Rose fan, but seriously.

Aug 1, 2010
While I was going to sarcastically comment on the utterly predictable whining by the anti-Tennant group here on the Escapist, I'm a bit disappointed as well.

I'm happy as all hell to have my favorite Doctor actor back, but come on. It's not like the show hasn't had multiple PROPER Doctors in the same episode. Most of them are still alive and while I can see the draw for easy writing, you didn't need to use the whole 10-clone plotline to get Tennant in there. I actually kind of understand Jack not being able to make it. After watching Torchwood, shit, he has more emotional baggage and problems than the Doctor does...

And yes, I know that dick Eccleston wouldn't do it, but you still could have gotten more Doctors It's the FIFTIETH anniversary! KIND OF IMPORTANT.

Oh well. Still happy to see Tennant. Meh about Billy Piper. She was an ok companion for me. I didn't love her, but I didn't hate her either. I know a lot of people whine about the whole love interest angle, but that's the beauty of Doctor Who. You can have 10 be different enough to fall in love. Which is why purists who say "BUT THAT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN" in ANY regard need to fuck right off.

Hopefully Moffat will at least make the rest of the episode a fun time.

Froggy Slayer said:
I wouldn't be surprised if there's more going on than they're telling us. Think, they wouldn't want to reveal all the surprises in the special straight away, would they?
This is actually a very good point. This many months away and they're already giving all the details? Probably not. They kept the whole Oswin thing a secret rather well, so there's probably a few clever tricks up their sleeves.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I really doubt this is going to be the 10th Doctor's clone, for two reasons:

1. The writers are sure to realize that will piss people off. It doesn't matter if it's David Tennant, if it's not the *actual* 10th Doctor-as a character-returning for the 50th it WILL piss a lot of people off.

2. There's an on-set photo of what looks like the 10th Doctor's TARDIS. The clone doesn't have that.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
what else is there to say but HURRA!...well possibly yay. i love a good time paradox. hopefully more doctors will be joining in.
don't really care too much for the Zygons. i was hopeing that we would see images of timothy Dalton or john simm sneaking around on the doctor who set about now.

CPunchMaster

Aug 29, 2011
Rose is coming back? I wish we could have Eccleston back or something. Hopefully River Song the Mary Sue won't show up, but this will be written by Moffat, I'm sure, so I guess she probably will.

Also, the "mystery of Clara"? Seriously? Will that have an obvious revelation that we all saw coming like River again? Moffat, I'm not biting.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Mr Cwtchy said:
Er, 'fact'? Think you're misusing words there, dude.
Sorry, "bro," but I'm not misusing words. This is a lackluster cast. Everything they've got to draw on and they manage...Two people. Yup. Lackluster. Sorry, "homey."
Hey, "SupercalifragilisticexpialiBROcious", that's still just like, your opinion, man. "Lackluster" is still a subjective term.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
Hang on, Christopher has said we won't come back? Did he have a falling out with the BBC, or something?

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
In fairness, this isn't the first time there has been more than 1 doctor in a single episode; in the old (old as in pre-reboot, 1980's) series, there was a two-part episode called "The Four Doctors" in which The Doctor calls upon previous generations of himself through time (which is explained to be possible, but only for extreme circumstances) to tackle The Master.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
"The show must be seen to be going forward. It's all about the next 50 years, not about the last 50 years. If you start thinking it's all about nostalgia, then you're finished. It's about moving forward.

So why are you having a 50th anniversary special where you bring back a previous Doctor? And why have you been bringing back old villains in the current series of the show? Moving forward by going backwards? Seems like he is sending mixed messages here. I also think Doctor Who IS about the last 50 years, it's also about the next 50 at the same time.

Regardless, I'm intrigued as to how they are bringing Tennant and Piper in to things. The Whoman Doctor seems most likely, but maybe it will be 11 going back to the past and happening to run in to himself. It could even be a flash back or something. Just so long as there are no weeping angels.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I'm afraid that I have soiled my pantaloons. I'll have to comment more at another time.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Wow, well, after reading this thread I've realized that Doctor Who is something I don't want to discuss with anyone on these forums, bahahaha. Woooooooooooow.

OT: Cool cool, should be interesting to see them meet-ish. Curious what the current Doctor is going to think of Rose.

But seriously, tone down the inner cynic people. It's Doctor Who, not PhD Whosaurius Maximus, come unto mortal plane to present the TELEVISION PROGRAMMING OF THE FUUUUTUUUURE.

Nov 28, 2007
Gone Rampant said:
Hang on, Christopher has said we won't come back? Did he have a falling out with the BBC, or something?
IIRC, he left after a season because he didn't want the role to define him. If so, he probably wouldn't come back for the same reason.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Gone Rampant said:
Around 2 years after he left he made some comments about bullying on set and how did like the way that some people behaved.
PhunkyPhazon said:
I really doubt this is going to be the 10th Doctor's clone, for two reasons:

1. The writers are sure to realize that will piss people off. It doesn't matter if it's David Tennant, if it's not the *actual* 10th Doctor-as a character-returning for the 50th it WILL piss a lot of people off.

2. There's an on-set photo of what looks like the 10th Doctor's TARDIS. The clone doesn't have that.
Not to get all old who on you, but it was stated in warrior's gate that timelords carry the knowledge on how to build a tardis. The then Doctors assistant was also a timelord and she left the doctor but it pointed out that timelords can build one. Also I believe K9 carries the plans as well.

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
I'm thrilled to have Tennant back. I'm a recent Whovian--plowed through the New Who series on Netflix over the course of a month or so--and loved the runs of both Nine and Ten, only to be increasingly disappointed since the transition to Stephen Moffat and Matt Smith. (I was kind of shocked when I went online and discovered there's a huge divide between the people who think Moffat's doing a poor job of it, and those who seem to think Russel T. Davies is some sort of antichrist.)

Rose, I can take or leave. I'd rather have Jack or Donna. Or, yeah, even Martha. And the episode will be written by Moffat, meaning it'll rush through all the emotional gravitas and throw internal logic to the wind so he can cram what should have been a two-part episode into a fifty-minute "blockbuster."

Still, Tennant. This is a good thing. Fingers crossed.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
In all honesty I think Moffat's trolling us here, I mean how can you seriously say that you're 'looking forward' in an ANNIVERSARY EPISODE?

If he's trolling then in reality there's probably several other familiar faces will show up, it doesn't even have to be old Doctors, the older companions could suffice if worked properly (I'm talking really old, like Jo Grant, Romanna, Leela, Susan?)
If he's serious, well expect BBC to be flooded with Moffat boycott requests quite soon.

Honestly, I don't think Moffat's suited as showrunner, he tries to tell all these big epic overarching stories, most of them end up feeling rushed and are riddled with plotholes,
Say what you will about Davies, at least his overarching plots were simple and tended to pay off at the end, Moffats either screams in your face that *THIS WILL BE IMPORTANT LATER* and has bits and pieces of the finale's story explained and advanced in other episodes whereas most of the season finales in #10's time had a couple of hints scattered about with most of the arc done within the last couple episodes of the season.

& before anyone says I'm just a Tennant fanboy I'll just say that its not that #11 is a bad Doctor, he's just had bad scripts to work with.

P.S. the Parallel universe #10 has a TARDIS, so I would not be suprised if some sort of spin-off show comes along after this.