TERA Review

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
TERA Review

Bold new MMO combat, but same old quests.

Read Full Article

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
It is as if someone defended from the heavens and gave to me an almost perfect game. May give a go.

Apr 28, 2008
I'd probably be all over this game if not for The Old Republic. After playing that game... I just don't want to go back to the impersonal text boxes.

Now if a game came along that combined The Old Republic's focus on story with Tera's combat, well... I may never be heard from again.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The idea of playing a badger man intrigues me. But a $60 box + sub fee is too much to invest in any game right now. When it goes F2P (and it will) I'm sure I'll take a look at it.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I'm with Lunar Templar. If this game didn't have a monthly fee, I'd give it a shot because the more engaging combat sounds very interesting.

Ringwraith

Absolutely Useless
Jan 15, 2009
It is really difficult to describe how well the combat flows, and the review didn't even mention the comboing system, which makes certain skills faster, more damaging or have some other effect if used after certain other skills, and you can fire off the next skill in the combo with a single context-sensitive button press. It works so well you can even play the game with a controller, and has schemes designed for that (including native PS3 controller support). Your hotbar certainly doesn't need to very big to use every ability in your arsenal.
It's certainly a fun game to have a bash with, although they haven't got any sort of free trial, which is odd, as you kinda need it to see just how different the combat is. The costly subscription also doesn't help, sitting at the baseline MMO rate on top of purchasing a copy.
It's a shame really, as it's certainly a game I'd enjoy playing around with, but I can't justify any sort of subscription like that, disregarding the fact I can't really afford it.

Some sort of credit has to go for the art style too, some of those zones are simply gorgeous.

While I'm here there's a formatting error with the link to the game's site on endgame content, as the formatting has been included as part of the link so it doesn't actually go anywhere.
DVS BSTrD said:
Come play the new quests, same as the old quest.
Although at least the changing monsters mean you've got new attack patterns to learn and anticipate. Still mostly just the same thing though, though you might not care if you're enjoying the combat so much. I certainly didn't.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
captcha: 'hug me'

ok >_<

~
So what I'm getting is amazing combat but same ol'shin dig. Sounds like Kingdom of Amalur o_O

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
Xiado said:
Wow, one of the few reviews that didn't mention the loli race, how professional. Anyway, I wouldn't buy this game if I lived in Sweden, if I were you.
But you can tell for sure these weren't modeled after real children because they have bunny ears. Real children don't have those.
It's totally safe to play the "loli" race, guys.

I'm going to side with the majority here, though - that's a mighty price tag.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
I kinda wish you had mentioned it's sub-based in the review. Would have saved me 10-15min and a lot of disappointment :/

Captcha: fools gold

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Ah! I was waiting for this Review.

I love how tricky the BAMs can be. They will flat out charge an attack, begin an attack, or fake an attack, and then cancel it and hit you with something else. I've even seen them fake being stunned. You can also fight a BAM for a full 5 minutes without seeing everything it can do.

And BAMs can hurt other mobs/BAMs... so getting two BAMs to trample each other constantly is pretty damn awesome.

Irridium said:
I'd probably be all over this game if not for The Old Republic. After playing that game... I just don't want to go back to the impersonal text boxes.

Now if a game came along that combined The Old Republic's focus on story with Tera's combat, well... I may never be heard from again.
Given the single player feel of TOR, I'd pass on anything like it again. It actively had me telling people in Vent to shut up so I could listen to a cut scene.

I much prefer Tera's "Who cares what the text box says, let's kill it and move on so we can murder all the players around us."

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
So it's Vindictus except with character customization and anyone can be anything.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Genixma said:
So it's Vindictus except with character customization and anyone can be anything.
Its nothing like Vindictus. Vindictus you can interact with your environment, smash crates and barrels over the heads of enemies, interact with traps, climb ladders, break objects, etc. Tera has the basic attacks similar, but its a standard mmo "look don't touch" affair. Its a shame really that you can't interact with the world because it would do loads for the game. Also Tera relies on cooldowns for skills instead of stamina.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
CriticKitten said:
Speaking as someone who has both Tera, and GW2. The combat, that is why. He played a lancer (Tank) Who don't really do damage at all and have the most boring combat, they are the ones that hold agro. But I play one of the two healer classes (Mystic, better pvp) and I can tell you now, I'm glad I now have a game where combat isn't dictated by equipment. I can still win against someone 4-5 levels above me, so long as I'm on the ball, even being a healer, because skill.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
The combat in TERA is interesting, certainly. Combo attacks and fast-paced action sequences are definitely cool and fun, but there's one thing dramatically holding it back. Two words: root animations.

You can't do anything while moving unless the skill itself involves movement. It may not feel so out of place at first, but after playing games with "real" action combat (i.e. God of War) to remember what that feels like, TERA starts to feel jerky and awkward. And, I'm sorry to say, combat is pretty much all TERA has. Without it, there's really nothing else to do.

I think Penny Arcade [http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/05/02] had the right idea. If we could somehow combine Star Wars: The Old Republic's story focus, Guild Wars 2's living world and dynamic questing systems, and TERA's actiony combat mechanics into a single, powerhouse experience... well, pretty much the world would end. (and it would be awesome).

captcha: die-hard. You said it, Captcha!

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
The only mmo i have ever liked was ff11 before all the changes in 09-10~ and ive never been able to get into another mmo since (other than World of Tanks but thats not rly an mmo), so i decided to give it a try, i must say it's possibly the most pretty mmo i've seen and the combat is awesome but and its a BIG but...it still has the same old boring kill/collect x amount in more or less every quest.

It also has some voiced parts of the game but its abit of a let down when there far and few apart, i would have thought for a game which took me 14 hours to download (25gb)the main quests would have all been voiced.

I dunno if i'll keep playing, i'll see if i continue to enjoy but i have a feeling i'll soon run out of main quests and then get bored (i'm already lvl24 out of 60 and i've been playing for 2days).

Oh one thing i should mention is the game can be a little glitchy, it runs wonderfully but on ocasion it will just hang and if i ctrl+alt+del it will all of a sudden unhang, as well as the fact that sometimes the monster will just sit there as though its lagging but i can attack other enemies...

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
The thing about the opening tutorial when you crash on the beach at Level 20 is that is designed to let you see how some of the more advanced skills and techniques of the class you chose work and feel. Basically it lets you know what you're in for and to get a taste of it on 30 minutes to see if you like it rather than you wasting 5 hours even getting any class defining skills only to find out you're not good at the class or don't like it like many other MMOs.

I find the combat more than redeems the WoW-ness of the quests. I liked WoW for some time, but the boring quests combined with the stat-based gameplay and the lack of any real engagement in story until basically Wraith of Lich king content kills the interest in keeping play.

Even with the same quest system though, the great visuals, attempt to have some story throughout the game and the actually fun-to-play combat makes the game worth it for me.

Oh, and females. The delicious, delicious females.