Term "blind playthrough" offensive, removed from Twitch

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I swear if "people" (corporate dicks using diversity as nothing more to a means to an end, Neo soccer moms, and "sjws") start getting offended at characters like Toph and Matt Murdock, I am going to kick the shit out of them. South Park made point about this with characters like Timmy and Jimmy 20 years ago. Some people don't want to learn or get it just feel better about themselves, superior, or oblivious self absorbing douchebags.
I think it was George Carlin who said something about handicapped people like "these poor people have been bullshited their entire lives, they've been brainwashed to think if you change the name of the condition you change the condition. So rather than cure them, we tell them they're not really handicapped." I'm paraphrasing 'cause I can't find the exact quote, but it was something along those lines.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think it was George Carlin who said something about handicapped people like "these poor people have been bullshited their entire lives, they've been brainwashed to think if you change the name of the condition you change the condition. So rather than cure them, we tell them they're not really handicapped." I'm paraphrasing 'cause I can't find the exact quote, but it was something along those lines.
I remember that one.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yeah. Is it a bit silly? Maybe, idk.
Is it a sign of the sign of the end times/the death of western civilization/an affront to language/any kind of big deal at all? No

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Is it a sign of the sign of the end times/the death of western civilization/an affront to language/any kind of big deal at all? No
It's a slow, gradual kind of necrosis, or perhaps kind of a cancer. It'll just grow and spread, and then it'll be too late.
Yes, it's a sign.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Seems a bit of a non-event to be upset about by tbh. Unless you enjoy being upset I guess, which I believe is an increasingly common ailment with no known cure.

Reactions: CaitSeith

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Seems a bit of a non-event to be upset about by tbh. Unless you enjoy being upset I guess, which I believe is an increasingly common ailment with no known cure.
You're right. It is a non-event. But it is just the latest example of how the left are trying to censor language in anyway they can. Now it's to the point where they are projecting false offenses upon innocuous words just to see how far they can take it. The fact that these companies keep bowing down to them means it will continue. Thankfully there is starting to be pushback by the public as this crap has clearly gotten out of hand, but still they'll keep trying and these small victories are just what they need to keep picking away at it.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You're right. It is a non-event. But it is just the latest example of how the left are trying to censor language in anyway they can. Now it's to the point where they are projecting false offenses upon innocuous words just to see how far they can take it. The fact that these companies keep bowing down to them means it will continue. Thankfully there is starting to be pushback by the public as this crap has clearly gotten out of hand, but still they'll keep trying and these small victories are just what they need to keep picking away at it.
I'm sure "The Left" pressured Amazon subsidiary Twitch into a decision they didn't want to make as part of an over-arching grand-conspiracy to pervert language for shits and giggles, but it mostly just looks like a corporation doing some minor weird corporate thing.

See, if *I* were into conspiracies, I'd be thinking that this, at most, was some stupid lib thing Twitch is doing so they can pretend to be "inclusive" while shafting people. Something Amazon's well known for.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
As mentioned, I would be interested if it was blind people who asked for this to be changed.

Also as mentioned, this change isn't the end times, nor a sign or symptom of the end times.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'm sure "The Left" pressured Amazon subsidiary Twitch into a decision they didn't want to make as part of an over-arching grand-conspiracy to pervert language for shits and giggles, but it mostly just looks like a corporation doing some minor weird corporate thing.
Twitch is known to be a SJW playground, mods and staff have been called out for vitue sugnalling before. I doubt Amazon proper pays much attention to anything but the profits.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Someone from "The Left" got a job on the "Diversity and Inclusiveness" team, because their degrees in "Women's studies" and "Gender roles" didn't give them any other marketable skills.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
To be fair, I would rather die than be completely blind.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
In the land of blind playthroughs, the man with one eye is...fuck, I dunno, the one sane person on this planet?

Fuck this nonsense.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
You're right. It is a non-event. But it is just the latest example of how the left are trying to censor language in anyway they can.
Ah yes, the communists at multi-billion dollar corporation Twitch are coming for your language. You have to be careful; they start with terms that might be offensive to someone living with a terrible condition, then they move on to the vowels. It's a nightmare for the Finnish, or, rather, the Fnnsh.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I honestly can't work up any emotion about a major company deciding to be pro-active about not offending people by changing a tag to something that's more value neutral. I doubt anyone has been very offended by the term "Blind Playthrough", but renaming the tag to "Unspoiled Playthrough" changes very little and I can't really see how anyone would have a stake in the term "Blind Playthrough", other then for posturing and culture war nonsense.
And here is the problem with all these politically correct things and all those inclusive things.

You get to in their name do things that actually do not further these goals, but by simply mentioning them, you are granted a mantle of justice, and while you wear it anyone who criticizes you is smeared unjustly as someone supposedly against what you purport to be protecting/defending with your random, inconsequential, irrelevant act.

This is the thin edge of the wedge. They start by limiting stuff nobody is too attached to, and once people become accustomed to that they move on to marginally bigger things. It's like the frog in a pot that's very slowly being heated, it's too gradual to notice the increase in temperature so you end up being boiled alive without realizing it.

No, you do not get to limit things with no rational connection to any sort of harm outside of your claims of one. You need evidence and research and facts to avoid having your act be deservedly ascribed the label of tyrannical.

Yeah. Is it a bit silly? Maybe, idk.
It's not the death of western civilization because this is a cancer that can be cut out and negated if we act now. But it is the beginnings of the very long, gradual death, that will not feel like death until it's already died and nobody is any wiser for it, sure.

When people point out things that are detrimental, it doesn't have to be the case that the detriment will be instantaneous or observable in an ostentatious way. Our principles of logic and sense being eroded is plenty enough.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren