Term "blind playthrough" offensive, removed from Twitch

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Whilst I'm not in favour of what Twitch has decided, I can't help but feel that society is more likely to collapse because people are stoking themselves into outrage that Twitch has canned the term "blind playthrough" than it will collapse because Twitch has canned the term "blind playthrough".

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Whilst I'm not in favour of what Twitch has decided, I can't help but feel that society is more likely to collapse because people are stoking themselves into outrage that Twitch has canned the term "blind playthrough" than it will collapse because Twitter has canned the term "blind playthrough".
It's the whole chicken and egg thing. Would people be in outrage over this if Twitch never did it in the first place?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
That's just not accurate though. Blind implies you are going in blind, meanwhile you can look up stuff about the game, even read a guide or a walkthrough, and if you've never played the game before it'd still count as a first playthrough, but it'd not qualify as a blind one.

The point of a blind playthrough in the context of a stream is that you get to see the gamer first experience something and their genuine, original reaction to this information. If you've read spoilers or seen others play through a game it may still be your playthrough but that aspect of discovery and the reaction to this discovery would not be the same.

I kinda feel like I'm having to explain 2+2 = 4 here, is everyone an alien who doesn't understand why people care for blind playthroughs and is just being overly literal and basing their opinions on things they read instead of having authentic first hand knowledge here?
...it's a back-end tag. As long as you have a new term that means the same as the old term in every way, why're y'all this hung up on the specific word?
It's like if they changed a tag called "woman" into a tag called "female presenting" and people thought the world was sliding into ruin

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
...it's a back-end tag. As long as you have a new term that means the same as the old term in every way, why're y'all this hung up on the specific word?
It's like if they changed a tag called "woman" into a tag called "female presenting" and people thought the world was sliding into ruin
Words mean things, woman means woman, not just feminine-in-appearance. I can wear a girly costume with a lot of layers and because I have long hair I'd qualify as "female presenting" if I shaved my epic beard, as long as peolpe didn't look at me from the front, but I sure as hell wouldn't be the equivalent of a woman were I to do that lmao. I'm still a dude even if I am disguised.

This is like a twisted version of that old-fashioned thinking of girls wear pink and play with dolls and boys play with trucks and wear blue. You can be a guy and straight and still have stereotypically feminine traits about you without having them affect your being a guy and straight one bit. Having those doesn't all of a sudden make you into a woman lmao.

Saying it's not gonna single-handedly ruin the world is missing the point. This is a death of a thousand cuts sort of deal that people are bringing up. Each individual thing, by itself, will not be that big of a deal but when you add all the damage done together in all the avenues then you are actually facing a mortal wound.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Words mean things, woman means woman, not just feminine-in-appearance. I can wear a girly costume with a lot of layers and because I have long hair I'd qualify as "female presenting" if I shaved my epic beard, as long as peolpe didn't look at me from the front, but I sure as hell wouldn't be the equivalent of a woman were I to do that lmao. I'm still a dude even if I am disguised.

This is like a twisted version of that old-fashioned thinking of girls wear pink and play with dolls and boys play with trucks and wear blue. You can be a guy and straight and still have stereotypically feminine traits about you without having them affect your being a guy and straight one bit. Having those doesn't all of a sudden make you into a woman lmao.

Saying it's not gonna single-handedly ruin the world is missing the point. This is a death of a thousand cuts sort of deal that people are bringing up. Each individual thing, by itself, will not be that big of a deal but when you add all the damage done together in all the avenues then you are actually facing a mortal wound.
No, you're just facing having a hand that shouldn't touch chili oil. And that's assuming that it's causing any actual damage at all. It's a platform changing a tag from one term to another term that it's using as a synonym. And that's literally all it is, not yet another nail in the coffin of civilization. Just a infinitesimally small bit of corporate fluff.

Because I gotta say: I work at a job where paper cuts are common. It has yet to approach anything besides "mildly distracting occasionally"

EDIT: Like, would any other tag be an okay substitute for "blind", or does Twitch have to keep "blind" absolutely forever to forestall the death of civilization? What other tags are similarly inviolate and foundational to the West?

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
No, you're just facing having a hand that shouldn't touch chili oil. And that's assuming that it's causing any actual damage at all. It's a platform changing a tag from one term to another term that it's using as a synonym. And that's literally all it is, not yet another nail in the coffin of civilization. Just a infinitesimally small bit of corporate fluff.

Because I gotta say: I work at a job where paper cuts are common. It has yet to approach anything besides "mildly distracting occasionally"

EDIT: Like, would any other tag be an okay substitute for "blind", or does Twitch have to keep "blind" absolutely forever to forestall the death of civilization? What other tags are similarly inviolate and foundational to the West?
If someone came up with a tag that better-encapsulated the idea (a task "first playthrough" fails at spectacularly), that'd actually be progress so sure, that'd be fine, but it'd not be something done from the top down, it'd be the community itself that'd move onto that other term organically, without any prodding. Basically, it's about utility and merit, when you supplant those values for abstract, arbitrary, emotional concern-based interests you are in one small part destroying the west.

And no the death of a thousand cuts is called that because you legit die out of blood loss, it's only the first cut that would prevent you from eating chili crab the right way. And I sure as hell hope the job you work at doesn't require you to get papercuts in order to work there lmao. Like, I assume it's not some gang or cult where to enter their facilities you gotta pay the blood tax.

If something is an unfortunate accident that is a different set of circumstances than if something is implemented intentionally.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It's the whole chicken and egg thing. Would people be in outrage over this if Twitch never did it in the first place?
I'm going to be kind and assume that truly, awesomely terrible argument is a joke.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
If someone came up with a tag that better-encapsulated the idea (a task "first playthrough" fails at spectacularly), that'd actually be progress so sure, that'd be fine, but it'd not be something done from the top down, it'd be the community itself that'd move onto that other term organically, without any prodding. Basically, it's about utility and merit, when you supplant those values for abstract, arbitrary, emotional concern-based interests you are in one small part destroying the west.
The "destroying the west via entertainment media tags" thing was supposed to be a joke. Not everything is a shadow front in the culture war

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
The "destroying the west via entertainment media tags" thing was supposed to be a joke. Not everything is a shadow front in the culture war
So you're saying that those waging the culture war are ignoring the most popular and influential sites and institutions, which would give them the most influence? Interesting tactic.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
This is not an argument as to why my suggested organic way for progress (instead of a top-down authoritarian approach) is not superior. If I am to understand that we agree on this matter then that's good.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
This is not an argument as to why my suggested organic way for progress (instead of a top-down authoritarian approach) is not superior. If I am to understand that we agree on this matter then that's good.
Not arguing if it's better or not. Just arguing that it isn't a piece of straw on the back of western civilization

Reactions: MrCalavera

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Not arguing if it's better or not. Just arguing that it isn't a piece of straw on the back of western civilization
How is not picking the better option in organizing the world in favor of picking worse options because some people are so sensitive that it's marketable to pander to the opinion of the highest sensitive denominator not a sign of decline? This is peak elite decadence, where boutique concerns supersede utilitarian ones. Only this time it's a moral elite that is trying to be authoritarian, instead of a religious or a militaristic one. Instead of preaching god or military might they preach protection and safety, which is the thing of the day that will motivate people to harm themselves in pursuit of.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
How is not picking the better option in organizing the world in favor of picking worse options because some people are so sensitive that it's marketable to pander to the opinion of the highest sensitive denominator not a sign of decline? This is peak elite decadence, where boutique concerns supersede utilitarian ones. Only this time it's a moral elite that is trying to be authoritarian, instead of a religious or a militaristic one. Instead of preaching god or military might they preach protection and safety, which is the thing of the day that will motivate people to harm themselves in pursuit of.
"better option in organizing the world" "moral elite trying to be authoritarian"

It's a search tag system on a video website, for fuck's sake.

Just combine the First Playthrough and No Spoilers tags and pick up a football

httpx://www.twitch.tv/directory/all/tags

Last edited:

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
You still have not answered the question of "what WOULD be considered an example?"

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
You still have not answered the question of "what WOULD be considered an example?"
For someone who frequently just drops topics and ignores posters when it isnt going your way, you're very insistent everyone address all your inane points.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I don't think Houseman knows he's on my ignore list, lol

Look, if y'all want to be annoyed at a website for changing their tagging system, fine. I get it, I truly do.

But being annoyed at something doesn't mean it's helping to bring down civilization in service to some oppressive new regime

Sometimes a paper cut is just a paper cut

Last edited: