Terraria Creator Confirms No New PC Content

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Good job Red. Better not release another game with the tagline "from the maker of terraria"

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
It's getting annoying to read the "well, the game is worth the 10$, so shut up" comments.

I don't care if it's worth it. I, and many others have bought the game on a promise for more content. I don't care his son was born, I don't care the dev. team is small, I don't care the port and additional content are made by a different dev. team. I just don't care. Neither of those things are my problems.

He gave his word that he will add some content, he didn't keep his word. I am entitled to get angry about that. I won't take that shit.

So if you don't have anything to add to the discussion, please, shut the hell up. Tho I don't even see how here can be any kind of discussion because the situation is so clear, it can't be any clearer.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I paid for the beta under the promise that the game would get more content.
But not only did the game's development halt part-way through, he fucking sold the game?
That is such a bullshit kick in the balls.
Sure, call me entitled, because I fucking am.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
So let's see. How did this all pan out?

> News of surprise Terraria update comes out.
> Games fan-base becomes excited.
> News pans out to be a console port with new content.
> Games fan-base becomes understandably mad. Not about the existence of the port but rather the rumor that the new content is console exclusive, even after Spinks promise of continuing support.
> Escapist console players and news writers take turns insulting PC players over the announcement. Making quips about "elitism", "insecurity", "entitlement", and "whining". They insinuate that PC players are just mad that console players are getting the game.
> New announcement comes out that the new content is, indeed, exclusive to consoles.
> PC players are vindicated in their ire.
> Console players still deride the PC players and tell them to "shut up" because the game was already worth $10.

Wow. Just....wow.

The PC players, who were fans of the game, were fucking vindicated in their anger over the news of the port, and the Escapist "news" team and console players STILL insult them. I knew not to expect apologies for the down-right childish behavior from the people who made the insults, but Jesus Christ...to keep making them, even after the PC players were proven right?

Keep it classy Escapist. Keep it classy...

----------------------------------

Here's a thought for all those console players out there that are making fun of the PC players mad over this news.

How would you feel if a game on your console was being ported to another console or to PC? Most of you wouldn't care, right? Same can be said of the PC players. Had this been a straight port almost none of us would have cared. Most, like myself, would have said, "Good! Now the console players can enjoy this fun game."

However, that's not what's happening here. The game is being ported with new content. Content that is not being brought to the PC version. The version that was sold with a promise of continued support.

So think of it this way, let's say your favorite game on your preferred console, after being abandoned by the developer, was suddenly being ported to another platform. Except, this time, it was being done so with a wealth of free, extra content.

How many of you would be upset at this news? How many of you would be angry at the original developer for, after saying he was done with the game, licensing a new version with new content on a platform you don't have the game on? How annoyed would you be to realize you'd have to buy the game twice to experience this new content?

If you say to yourself, "I wouldn't be", you're lying.

Jutaris

Dec 9, 2011
Vigormortis said:
So let's see. How did this all pan out?

[SNIP]
So think of it this way, let's say your favorite game on your preferred console, after being abandoned by the developer, was suddenly being ported to another platform. Except, this time, it was being done so with a wealth of free, extra content.

How many of you would be upset at this news? How many of you would be angry at the original developer for, after saying he was done with the game, licensing a new version with new content on a platform you don't have the game on? How annoyed would you be to realize you'd have to buy the game twice to experience this new content?

If you say to yourself, "I wouldn't be", you're lying.
The problem is, this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_Gaiden_Sigma] happens [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_2:_Sons_of_Liberty#Substance] all [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sonic_Adventure_DX] the [http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_PC#Features] time [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_Gaiden_Sigma_2]

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm a bit indifferent. I liked Terraria, a fantastic game even. But at $10 I feel like I definitely got my monies worth with it. Even if they released the new content, I doubt I would jump back on just to play it at this point.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Wow, Andy, that was a rather professional news item compared to your previous one. Nice to see you doing your job instead of baiting your readers.

Keep up the good work. Please.

Craziplaya21

Apr 3, 2010
Buretsu said:
Dark Souls is released on Console.
The announcement is made that Dark Souls will be ported to the PC.
The announcement is made that Dark Souls for the PC will have bonus content.
Console fans piss themselves with rage.

Terraria is released on PC.
The announcement is made that Terraria will be ported to Console.
The announcement is made that Terraria for the Console will have bonus content.
Console fans roll their eyes at the rage.

Seems legit!
Consoles are getting those bonus content...

themilo504

May 9, 2010
do own a ps3 but I?m a teenager and my money is quite tight so I don?t like to pay 10$ for a game I already own and I highly doubt the new content will be spectacular enough to warrant a purchase and it will probably be added in a mod anyway.
kind of lost interest in terraria a while ago anyway mainly because like so many games(dragon age origins any Bethesda game.)my main enemy became the inventory system as I spend more time selling and sorting my stuff than actually playing the game.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Bought the game, found it to be, let's be honest, pretty crap. So it's indie, so what? So was Minecraft, so is FTL, so is Castle Story.

Despite the fact that PC gamers are getting "screwed" by the developer and missing out on new content, let's be serious.

There Are Many, Many Better Games Than This One Out There.

FTL is pretty cool.

So is Castle Story.

CriticKitten said:
Do you actually expect me or anyone else on this site, hell, anyone else on the internet, to take you seriously as a journalist when you blatantly lie about what people are saying to such a degree that Bill O'Reilly would be asking you to tone it down? And then, when you're called out on it and finally are forced to report the facts, you actually PRAISE the guy for screwing his fanbase and point out that we can't really blame him for pursuing easy money at the cost of his fans?

What a farce.

Despite the fact that everything you just wrote was actual solidified awesome, I have to point something out.

I work for News Corp.

Not all of us are like Bill, there's a janitor somewhere who has his head screwed on right.

And the guys who make coffee? I dunno.

danon

Jul 20, 2009
The game cost 10 bucks and we have gotten loads of free content. Seriously guys what are you talking about. This is one of the best value for money games there is.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Meh this seems really unfair but I honestly couldn't care less, I played a ton of Terraria on release but haven't touched it since, I'm just not interested in any further content.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Wait, so are people hating on Spinks, or the company handling current Terraria?
Honestly, this whole situation seems dumb. Give PCs the extra content, keep fans happy, get some more sales, put the finished game on consoles, leave it alone for good.

00DUMB

Apr 4, 2010
Stomperchomper said:
Well, at least I can look forward to Starbound, whenever the hell that comes out.
THIS. GUYS, NONE OF THIS EVEN MATTERS.

For crying out loud, you can be a MONKEY who has pet ALIENS. And they're shooting for this year. They've said that prepping for release is why there have been so few updated as of recent.

00DUMB

Apr 4, 2010
Buretsu said:
Enjoy it, until the developers abandon the game when it's only half finished, then announce a quicky cash-in port.
It's not Re-Logic. It's Chucklefish Games, being directed by Tinyuri. Also, Terraria is pretty complete. Although this whole deal thing might interfere with potential mod support.