Terraria Creator Confirms No New PC Content

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
FelixG said:
Wakikifudge said:
FelixG said:
Glad I never payed them for this game.
So you pirated it or am I just misinterpreting?

GenGenners said:
I'm getting the popcorn. This thread is going to be DELICIOUS.
It's funny because I was snacking on popcorn when I saw this thread. It seems my stomach knew that I would need it!
I had a steam game my friend wanted, I sent it to him, he had an extra copy of Terraria in his items so he sent it to me after I sent him the game he had asked for.

I appreciate the gift, but don't enjoy the game, hope that clears things up!
Ah ok. I figured there was more to it. I agree, I tried the game for a bit at my friend's house but ended up becoming bored after the second in-game night.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
if you recall, I was in the "stop whining" crowd in the first topic. But extra content that PC isn't getting, now that is a dick move.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Well if it's a different developer who is only focused on console... that is quite different.

But Spinks better make it clear that he has washed his hands of Terraria so that he can work n other things or else he is cashing in too much goodwill.

I'm not so miffed to miss content MADE BY ANOTHER COMPANY, it's not really Terraria content then. I might as well compare the console exclusive-extras with the mods that are only available on PC, both are made by outsiders.

Maybe Spinks should have made this clear IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
I bought the game for a buck-fiddy in a steam sale, so I could care less, played it for a few hours and thought it was alright.

Shame that content developed by another studio for an other version of the game won't be coming to the version that has been declared to be getting no more updates... But you know, [insert entitled rage here].

MorganL4 said:
Yeah, and lets be honest, most of us paid about $25 USD for Minecraft, and I know that I personally have over 200 hours logged on that damned game ( even if the game has no way to keep track of it) compared to a movie, popcorn and a drink at AMC, which will run you about the same cost for 2 hours of entertainment, NO ONE has the right to complain if MC quit updating tomorrow.
And the nail was hit on the head here, I have a very basic standard for cost - time to determine the "Worth" of a game, it basically works out;

£1/per hour bronze standard
£2/per hour silver standard
£3/per hour gold standard
£5/per hour platinum standard

So if the people raging about how great the game was and how they've been robbed played this $10/£6 game (£1.50 on sale) for even a dozen hours then they've easily gotten their "moneys worth". As example, mine craft/Tf2 are games I've sunk in about 200 hours each, and paid about £10 for each (got MC in alpha and tf2 before F2P) and it's great that they keep pumping out content. But if they stopped tomorrow then I've had WAAAAAY more than my moneys worth. Frankly if I started moaning about how they owe me more then I would sound like quite the twat.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
The thing that irks me here is how Spinks can expect people to ever buy one of his games again?

Next project he might drop the ball earlier then with terraria and then suddenly sell out to the consoleros again only having someone else finish the product.

Sorry but if you take a shit on your customers once they are not going to buy any other products of yours.

After all spinks is not bioware.

Its interesting to see how terraria came to be.. from ripping off Final fantasy sprites to what it is now. Maybe he should have sold away the PC version to someone else too if he wasnt dedicated enough to finish the product and keep the promises he aparantly made.

Alatar The Red

Aug 10, 2012
No extra terraria content coming to my PC - No extra money from me going to the dev.

The PC market is filled with great indies who deserve the money much more than this guy. Obviously no one is entitled to more content here but I honestly don't see how Spinks doesn't get that giving your fanbase the finger is a bad idea.

Oh well, I hope losing a big bunch of customers was worth it.

danon

Jul 20, 2009
Did almost all the terraria players go emotionally insane. He at least doubled the content of this game since release. Why do people say it's half finished. It cost you at the most 10 bucks. You have absolutely no grounds for complaints. You guys are one of the reasons it's that much more difficult to get support when the pc owners are really getting screwed over.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
danon said:
Did almost all the terraria players go emotionally insane. He at least doubled the content of this game since release. Why do people say it's half finished. It cost you at the most 10 bucks. You have absolutely no grounds for complaints. You guys are one of the reasons it's that much more difficult to get support when the pc owners are really getting screwed over.
Doubled? Quadrupled is more like it. It makes me sad to see people reacting this way over a $10 game with massive content.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
It's getting annoying to read the "well, the game is worth the 10$, so shut up" comments.

I don't care if it's worth it. I, and many others have bought the game on a promise for more content. I don't care his son was born, I don't care the dev. team is small, I don't care the port and additional content are made by a different dev. team. I just don't care. Neither of those things are my problems.

He gave his word that he will add some content, he didn't keep his word. I am entitled to get angry about that. I won't take that shit.

So if you don't have anything to add to the discussion, please, shut the hell up. Tho I don't even see how here can be any kind of discussion because the situation is so clear, it can't be any clearer.
Congratulations, not only have you made a complete spectacle out of yourself, you also shown that you are one of the most selfish "fans" of this game out there.

He promised that more content would be made. Look at the game now compared to launch. It has more content. Promise achieved. He didn't promise infinite content.

The fact that you don't care about him wanting to take care of his newborn son is probably the most vomit worthy thing I've read on this thread. Especially since Terraria was made by a 3-person team. The other 2 developers left to make StarBound, the spiritual sequel to Terraria.

It's PC gamers like you that make us look like bottom feeding basement urchins who inhale Cheetos by the bag.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Pebkio said:
Mumorpuger said:
I'm a tool for being excited about a game I already own, and my willingness to buy it again?

Should I apply that same logic to me purchasing Beyond Good and Evil HD, or Psychonauts?
No, of course, not. I'm expecting you to buy those six times over. I mean, that's a given. Who here hasn't paid for a sixth copy of either of those games while still owning the other five?

Of course you should apply the same logic! What's the difference? Did you think that was a "gotcha" question? That I would defend the repurchasing (not as a gift) of Beyond Good and Evil or Psychonauts while a working copy is still in my possession? Well... I wouldn't... I'd actually think that would be a pretty "toolish" thing to do.
It was a question posed to hopefully make you understand that people will purchase games more than once if they particularly enjoyed it, or in my personal case, enjoyed a game and also want to support the developer.

Jun 11, 2008
Well I'm not supporting that team ever again. Although I like how when console gamers were pissed off about Dark Souls content maybe not coming to consoles it was justified but when PC gamers are complaining about extra content they DO NOT get it is entitlement. That is a massive double standard. That said threats and going over the top don't help so I'll just not support them.

Also this is completely different to something like demanding a HD remake or complaining about a game stopping updates when they say they are stopping. This is a company promising updates then stopping, then promising updates and big news. This is news is then the game on a new platform(fine) with new content(fine) but content that won't be on previous versions in this day and age with update/DLC capability(not fine).

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
How is someone a sellout for allow more people to have a chance of playing his game?

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
Thank you for the kind words, tho I don't really care about them. Also, I wouldn't say I'm a fan at all.

AzrealMaximillion said:
He promised that more content would be made. Look at the game now compared to launch. It has more content. Promise achieved. He didn't promise infinite content.
He promised a lot of content, specific content that never got into the game.
I never asked for infinite content. I asked for the promised content. He set a goal of what the finished product would look like. The current games does not have a lot of the things that he said it would have. So it's not finished.

"Finished product will have X". Current product doesn't have X, therefore current product is not the finished product.

AzrealMaximillion said:
The fact that you don't care about him wanting to take care of his newborn son is probably the most vomit worthy thing I've read on this thread. Especially since Terraria was made by a 3-person team. The other 2 developers left to make StarBound, the spiritual sequel to Terraria.
As I said, those are his problems. Not mine. He is the one who overestimated his abilities, it wasn't me. If I recall correctly, my parents had also kids, yet I don't see them giving up their jobs for it. He is the one who is unable to manage his time, to plan out his day. And he was working from home anyways. It's not like he would have to leave his son alone at home for 12 hours a day.

Also, he has money that he got from people for the promise of the finished product. He could use it to finish the game. I know it's hard to understand it, but you can pay developer to work for you.

And care to elaborate why you brought up StarBound? Should I buy it in order to get the content that I was promised would be in Terraria? So I should buy the game again to get the full content?

AzrealMaximillion said:
It's PC gamers like you that make us look like bottom feeding basement urchins who inhale Cheetos by the bag.
So, I make all gamer look bad because I don't stay quite when someone tries to fuck me over? Sorry for not being spineless like you.

He earned millions on the promise to add specific content to the game. He didn't keep his promise. People are entitled to complain.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
lord.jeff said:
How is someone a sellout for allow more people to have a chance of playing his game?
When you go out of your way to alienate your main base to make a quick buck.

Since the dev is done with the PC version with no updates, why not release the source code so people can make mods? Why make promises and then not keep them. Why bait current fans then give them the finger? Because he is a sellout and a bit of a dick.

To be honest if he just let people make mods no one would give a crap. It's because people love terraria and because it had so much potential that people are pissed that he purposly left it handicapped.

NotALiberal

Jul 10, 2012
Angry Juju said:
Oh boy... A game I bought for $1 isn't getting updated...

Whatever will I do? It's not like I can just go out and play it on a console! That would drop me down from being part of the PC master race.
Waaghpowa said:
I full expect a series of posts casually alluding to elitism while simultaneously coming off smug and superior. It's so unusual from this community...
Oh would you look at that.

This community is great sometimes isn't it?

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
Nothing you ever say will make me stop laughing at gamer rage. It's just so cathartic you know? Like The Jeremy Kyle Show.

Hmm, gamer themed Jeremy Kyle Show. There's money in it somewhere.

NotALiberal

Jul 10, 2012
Angry Juju said:
GAunderrated said:
lord.jeff said:
I understood your comment, so no, it's not a case of me "not getting it". You were being smug and arrogant (and still are). Not everyone can go and buy a game on the console because not everyone has a console, novel thought isn't it? I also understood that you play games on PC, but you're still being a bit of a dick about the whole thing.

It's not "entitlement" (this word needs to fucking die) to be angry at the dev for screwing out the people who made the game what it is (and filled his pockets with cash), on the promise that he would meet a certain set of goals until the game was "finished". He has not, however, and instead decided to hand over the license to a different dev to port to consoles for some extra $ and pretty much told PC gamers to fuck off, going as far as even REFUSING to release mod tools, denying the community the right to make their own extra content beyond what is currently achievable by playing around with game files (which isn't much).

In short, the dev is a dick, he not only didn't keep his end of the bargain, he's refused to release mod tools, despite the fact that he's "washed his hand's clean" of the game.

It doesn't matter if you got it for $1, the dev said he would "finish" the game, and he hasn't. Won't. Refuses to. Then to add salt to the wound, he's also not releasing mod tools.

Yes. Gamers are "entitled" to feel angry, and this guy deserves every bit of shit he gets.

danon

Jul 20, 2009
Looking at the bs the developer had to deal with exemplified in this thread i'm just happy he endured all the hate and bile and updated it at all. I don't think this is why we can't have nice things ever have been such a appropiate term.