Terraria Goes to Consoles, PC Gamers Go Nuts

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
babinro said:
Wouldn't PC gamers be happy that a game they enjoy now has more exposure?

It's not like a PC gamer has to buy the console versions.

Why would we care? We got to play it, then moved on.

Developing attachment of that kind to Terraria of all things is unlikely, at best.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
I just want to point out something:

If the console versions are getting extra content, with there being no guarantee of it ever coming to PC, isn't at least some kind of upset reaction 100% justified?

I mean, that'd be basically telling the audience they built their success off of, "buy our game all over again if you ever want an update".

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
clippen05 said:
lacktheknack said:
clippen05 said:
I'm not gonna lie, I can see where PC gamers (like me) are coming from. Why? Because PC games never get to hold onto their exclusivity. Consoles do. Whenever a game that consoles don't have is available on PC people beg for a version for Xbox or Playstation. And so far, I can think that almost all their pleas are met. They're getting a MOBA (LOTR), they got Minecraft, they got Witcher 2, Plants V Zombies, Crisis 2, and a load of older titles I won't list. What have PC gamers got? We got Dark Souls... and not an amazing port at that. What other EXCLUSIVES have we got? I'd love to have Halo or Uncharted. But we won't get it. No matter how much QQing we do, we'll NEVER have them. PC gamers always get the short end of the stick. So yeah, I'm a little angry that consoles can be exclusive but PC can't. And don't say we have tons of exclusive Indie games, because so does Xbox live arcade and PSN. (only one I can remember being ported was Greed Corp.)

Also, I eagerly anticipate the list of console -> PC ports someone is going to throw at me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of any GOOD ports.
Dwarf Fortress?

Two of the Myst games?

The Longest Journey?

Starcraft?

Diablo?

World of Warcraft?

Spore?

SimCity?

Civilization?

The Binding of Isaac?

All of the above are PC exclusives.

Yeah, whatever, man.
You got a Civ port, it was called Civilization Revolution. Yeah, it was bad, but so are our ports. Binding of Issac IS coming to consoles. Starcraft and Diablo were ported to N64, old ones at least. Spore was ported to the DS, but not consoles. Ok, you got me there. World of Warcraft? Good luck running running that with 512 mb of ram, it needs at least 1GB, not to mention Xbox and PS3 wouldn't allow them to update rapidly. I don't know what the longest journey is so yeah I guess you have me there. The Myst games were made YEARS AGO, you want a port now? It's a little late. And tell me how you'd physically play SimCity or Dwarf Fortress with a controller. If a console can't properly play it, its not the developers fault they don't port it.

Also:

-SOCOM series
-Infamous series
-LittleBigPlanet series
-Killzone Series
-God of War Series
-Halo Series
-Sly Cooper series
-Gears of War series
-Jak Series
-Grand Turismo Series
-Heavy Rain
-MAG
-Viva Pinata series
-Mod Nation Racers
-Motorstorm
-Ratchet and Clank Series
-Kingdom Hearts series
-Crackdown Series
-Banjo Kazooie
-Wipeout
-White Chronicle Chronicles
-BlazBlu
-3-D dot game heroes
-Metal Gear Solid series
-Valkyria Chronicles
-Ratchet and Clank
-Warhawk
-Ace Combat series

Note that most of these are series so the list should be at least twice as long. Also, I could think of many more BAD console exclusives, these are only the good ones. Find me this many GOOD PC games.
Why do I have to find you this many? Finding you enough to entertain you should be enough.

Yes, old Blizzard games were ported... But the new ones weren't.

Fine, one Civ port. How about the five non-ports?

The Myst games may be old, but Myst V and Uru, which are exclusives, aren't THAT old.

If you're running a computer with less than 1GB of RAM in this day and age, get a bloody new computer. One GB was standard back in 2006. Or, if you're running a desktop, go buy a gigabyte for about twenty bucks, take off the side of your computer, slide it into the "INSERT RAM HERE" slot, and put the side back on.

If I misread that and you're talking about the inability of consoles to play it (in which case you've never heard of "single-configuration optimization"), then so bloody what? It's an exclusive, playable on console or not.

And yes, Dwarf Fortress/SimCity cannot be played effectively on a console, but that doesn't devalue its existence as one of the exclusives you're dying for. It's still something you need a computer to play.

Here's another question: Why are you selfishly hogging your games to yourself? Does it matter whether or not Terraria wants to go to console? It's PC based, you've had the game for a long time now, and the only reason you'd want to keep it to PC exclusivity would be because you're desperately trying to prove that PCs are somehow superior to consoles.

Stop it. Stop it now.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I'm a PC gamer (YAY!) and while this is about making more money, it's just that - a company making more money. BAD COMPANY! BAD! You should not make more money! In this day and age all gaming consumers expect to play a half-baked game on release. Such is the culture. Then expect constant updates for ages after. So, as for the rage, this is typical of people on the internet rather than just PC gamers. Probably gamers in general.

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
loc978 said:
Makes me sick, honestly. That's the sort of thinking that children are supposed to have trained out of them, in order to meet the absolute minimum requirement to join a society of any kind.

Or maybe I'm just old.
To summarize all that, you could have just said "kids these days" and walked back in your house muttering to yourself.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Mangles69 said:
Hey idiots....remember Dark Souls? When it was announced it was coming to PC with all these new shiny additions, the same reactions happened.....turns out Namco will also re-release the game on consoles with the added features from the PC version..

So yeah chill out...the same will happen here, it will get released on consoles...then a couple months later on, the PC will get the updates..Im sure of it.. (even though the DEV stated a while ago they won't). THEY WILL :p
I really hope that pc gamers will get these additions, but it's not a guarantee. Until the developers specifically state that the pc version of Terraria will be getting the updates, the anger directed at the developers is justified. That said,

I'm all for more people getting to play a game, but the Terraria developers could have done a lot better job with this announcement. If they had just said "We're going to implement all these features we promised to and release a console version" people would be ecstatic. But nope. That would have been too easy.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Can't we all just get along? Shouldn't fans of the game be happy that it'll get more exposure? No, of course not. Silly me, that's too much to ask for.

Keepeas

Jul 10, 2011
tehweave said:
As a PC gamer myself, I feel I must jump in on this.

I don't care. It's a good game and would work well on consoles.

Whoo... Glad to let off some steam like that. Sorry to go all "preachy" and stuff. I probably shouldn't have swore so much, but I felt my opinion needed to be stated.
Whoo man you were right, that was some serious stuff...
It may have been the most vile, preachy, and swear ridden rant I've ever taken the time to read..

But as a PC gamer myself I can say that I feel the same hatred toward those foul consoles.
I mean Terraria was OUR game and it's not like we PC gamers would ever want a console game released for us...right?
Hi

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Have for PC, love it. What I want, PS3 version and Vita version, cloud saves. Twood be awesome, but I think Sony forgot about the Vita.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
and I was happy-sad when the last update came out. sad for no new content, happy I didn't have to start a new world to build my mega fortress, tunnel to hell, and sky highway yet again to get said content.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
Ugh, sometimes I regret being a PC gamer. Don't they want the developer of a fantastic game to make more money? Money that they deserve? That they've EARNED? What is this console fixation that because you play games on a specific version of the exact same hardware, that it makes it somehow superior to the versions that you don't use? This argument was supposed to have died years ago. I can't wait until there exists a single omni-device that does everything and plays everything so that we no longer have to "take a side" as if there were any sides to begin with.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
It bored me to tears, so I shall instead laugh maniacally at the console-brethren who will waste their money on it.

MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

ResonanceSD said:
clippen05 said:
Also, I eagerly anticipate the list of console -> PC ports someone is going to throw at me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of any GOOD ports.

I guess you didn't like Assassin's Creed 1, 2, 2.1-4 did you?
They're all pretty uneven in quality. Not the worst, but they'd hardly be my first choice if I was trying to slam-dunk a reply on the internet.

draken693

Apr 30, 2009
Therumancer said:
Waaghpowa said:
Oh look, another instance of a vocal minority being a bunch of loud dicks that annoying haters are going to lump in with the whole group as an excuse to voice their irrational hatred.

As a PC gamer, I don't give a fuck that this game is multi platform, and neither should you or anyone for that matter. The only thing that should prevent a game from being multi plat is hardware limitations.
Hmmm, not sure that I agree. I don't think it's a vocal minority, but a case where it's a majority outrage.

Honestly I could care less, largely because I'm not heavily invested in this game, but I think you, and others, are kind of missing the point. From what I've seen and heard it's less about the game going to the consoles, as much as it is about the game needing work and promises of expansions which was part of what people bought into it, and the community surrounding it, for. Terraria for those into it was not *just* about the game but what surrounded it. The issue here is that the guy doing the game is retiring from it, and as a parting shot is putting the game onto consoles with exclusive content that isn't nessicarly going to be made availible for the PC version, when the guys who bought into the PC version feel that this effort should be directed at them since they already bought into the product. The PC gamers of course realizing that they provide very little in the way of finances to the creator having already paid him, where consoles will bring in entirely new customers and an influx of cash, hence PC gamers feeling they have been sold out.

To an extent what we're seeing here is what happens when a pie in the sky indie developer succeeds, and then winds up being held to those promises of support that they made which contributed to their success. Sure it's a $10 product (or whatever) but a LOT of Indie developers promise you the world for that, and apparently Terraria's developer was one of those. Practical in the long term or not, all those people who lined his pockets are holding him accountable.

There is also the issue of community divide, when you start releasing games cross platform, especially games with thriving communities on one platform when it was cross platform, there are issues as your basically bringing a lot of people in who might as well exist in an entirely differant dimension due to how they are accessing the game. Getting into a conversation with someone and then hitting a wall because of differant versions and nessicary differance between them and how they play is annoying. Not to mention the maturity factor, like it or not PC gamers DO tend to be older and a bit smarter/more mature than console gamers, the simplicity of which attracts a lower human denominator. It's not nice to point that out, but it happens to be true, and like everything there are exceptions especially sicne this is just tendencies. Inevitably when console versions for a PC exclusive are created, pre-existing communities tend to get flooded with kids and the really immature, and I think a lot of the problem is the Terraria gamers don't want to see this happen to their communities.

That's my thoughts at any rate, in the end though it doesn't really matter because the developer wants his payday before he pseudo-retires, the amount of bellyaching doesn't matter since he's already gotten all these people's money. Unless someone wanted to say hunt him down and take IRL action, it's not going to change, so the only real immature part is railing about something people should realize they can't (or rather won't) do anything about.
Amen sir.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
lacktheknack said:
clippen05 said:
lacktheknack said:
clippen05 said:
I'm not gonna lie, I can see where PC gamers (like me) are coming from. Why? Because PC games never get to hold onto their exclusivity. Consoles do. Whenever a game that consoles don't have is available on PC people beg for a version for Xbox or Playstation. And so far, I can think that almost all their pleas are met. They're getting a MOBA (LOTR), they got Minecraft, they got Witcher 2, Plants V Zombies, Crisis 2, and a load of older titles I won't list. What have PC gamers got? We got Dark Souls... and not an amazing port at that. What other EXCLUSIVES have we got? I'd love to have Halo or Uncharted. But we won't get it. No matter how much QQing we do, we'll NEVER have them. PC gamers always get the short end of the stick. So yeah, I'm a little angry that consoles can be exclusive but PC can't. And don't say we have tons of exclusive Indie games, because so does Xbox live arcade and PSN. (only one I can remember being ported was Greed Corp.)

Dwarf Fortress?

Two of the Myst games?

The Longest Journey?

Starcraft?

Diablo?

World of Warcraft?

Spore?

SimCity?

Civilization?

The Binding of Isaac?

All of the above are PC exclusives.

Yeah, whatever, man.
You got a Civ port, it was called Civilization Revolution. Yeah, it was bad, but so are our ports. Binding of Issac IS coming to consoles. Starcraft and Diablo were ported to N64, old ones at least. Spore was ported to the DS, but not consoles. Ok, you got me there. World of Warcraft? Good luck running running that with 512 mb of ram, it needs at least 1GB, not to mention Xbox and PS3 wouldn't allow them to update rapidly. I don't know what the longest journey is so yeah I guess you have me there. The Myst games were made YEARS AGO, you want a port now? It's a little late. And tell me how you'd physically play SimCity or Dwarf Fortress with a controller. If a console can't properly play it, its not the developers fault they don't port it.

Also:

-SOCOM series
-Infamous series
-LittleBigPlanet series
-Killzone Series
-God of War Series
-Halo Series
-Sly Cooper series
-Gears of War series
-Jak Series
-Grand Turismo Series
-Heavy Rain
-MAG
-Viva Pinata series
-Mod Nation Racers
-Motorstorm
-Ratchet and Clank Series
-Kingdom Hearts series
-Crackdown Series
-Banjo Kazooie
-Wipeout
-White Chronicle Chronicles
-BlazBlu
-3-D dot game heroes
-Metal Gear Solid series
-Valkyria Chronicles
-Ratchet and Clank
-Warhawk
-Ace Combat series

Note that most of these are series so the list should be at least twice as long. Also, I could think of many more BAD console exclusives, these are only the good ones. Find me this many GOOD PC games.
Why do I have to find you this many? Finding you enough to entertain you should be enough.

Yes, old Blizzard games were ported... But the new ones weren't.

Fine, one Civ port. How about the five non-ports?

The Myst games may be old, but Myst V and Uru, which are exclusives, aren't THAT old.

If you're running a computer with less than 1GB of RAM in this day and age, get a bloody new computer. One GB was standard back in 2006. Or, if you're running a desktop, go buy a gigabyte for about twenty bucks, take off the side of your computer, slide it into the "INSERT RAM HERE" slot, and put the side back on.

If I misread that and you're talking about the inability of consoles to play it (in which case you've never heard of "single-configuration optimization"), then so bloody what? It's an exclusive, playable on console or not.

And yes, Dwarf Fortress/SimCity cannot be played effectively on a console, but that doesn't devalue its existence as one of the exclusives you're dying for. It's still something you need a computer to play.

Here's another question: Why are you selfishly hogging your games to yourself? Does it matter whether or not Terraria wants to go to console? It's PC based, you've had the game for a long time now, and the only reason you'd want to keep it to PC exclusivity would be because you're desperately trying to prove that PCs are somehow superior to consoles.

Stop it. Stop it now.
So consoles can have exclusives and PC's can't? Okay. And yeah, PC's are superior. I own three consoles, and they have a place, but they are inferior. You can prefer consoles, and that's fine, that's your preference; preferences are only opinions though. And superiority is based on facts. And objectively, PCs are better; consoles are objectively worse. As in better processor, better RAM, better GPU, more control options, and finally lower priced games. I can't tell you what your favourite is, but you asked for what was superior, I must answer. Oh and "Playing on the couch is better, I like controllers, and I don't like all the hassle of setting things up are all opinions, not facts. Sure, you can use those points in formulating your own opinion of your PREFERENCE, but they can't be used in proving which is SUPERIOR.... \ But let me reiterate incase you didn't get it through your thick little skull: PC is superior objectively, consoles still have a place, and no one is trying to tell you you have to like PC. But this is all beside the point...

You say I am trying to hog the games for PC.. I do not support this nor did I ever state it. I supported Minecraft Xbox Edition and I even own it. It accomplished what a good port should do: expand the audience to people who would otherwise not get to play the game. But should't that go both ways? I merely stated I can agree with some people not liking Terraia being ported as we PC gamers don't get as fair a share of ports. I never said "Terraria should never, ever be ported and the PC master race should hog all the games!!!" I proved this with a list of many exclusives that I'm sure many PC gamers would love to have, just as many console gamers want Terraia. So, one last time, how is it that you can "HOG ALL THE GAMES" but PC gets shit? Oh, and QQ MOAR about your terrible reading comprehension.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
as a pc gamer i just want to say to my fellow pc gamers who are upset about this...grow the fuck up. who cares if console gamers get to enjoy a game you love. i know you wanted pc related news about terraria but the game coming to consoles doesnt hurt us any. remember when you were arguing for dark souls to come to pc and part of the reasoning was so everyone would be able to enjoy a great game, regardless of their platform of choice.....

dont be hypocritical. sharing is good

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Why do so many gamers seem to have a problem with sharing? Seriously why?

Also I can't fucken wait for Starbound to come out.