Terrible Endings?

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
- carnivale - was planned to have 6 seasons, only made 2... bastards!

legitimate endings that have been disappointing? two stand out recently:
- death note (i won't go into it)
- the broken well trilogy (a book series... was decent in first and second, fell to absolute shit in the last 50 pages of the 3rd... WHY?!)

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
enzilewulf said:
Cow Boy Bebob. Seriously that series needed to go on way longer, not because of my fan boy wants, but just to make me understand what the fuck is happening. So wait that is the girl of your dreams? Wait why is she such a bad ass now opposed to the starting series? Okay why is he having flash backs to being like rebuilt? Okay that was never mentioned again. What the hell is going on...
I figured that Spike being rebuilt was from some serious injury he received while he was in the military.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
enzilewulf said:
Cow Boy Bebob. Seriously that series needed to go on way longer, not because of my fan boy wants, but just to make me understand what the fuck is happening. So wait that is the girl of your dreams? Wait why is she such a bad ass now opposed to the starting series? Okay why is he having flash backs to being like rebuilt? Okay that was never mentioned again. What the hell is going on...
I figured that Spike being rebuilt was from some serious injury he received while he was in the military.
See we never really get a flash back to him in the military. And then there was that thing with the white haired dude.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
enzilewulf said:
Soviet Heavy said:
enzilewulf said:
See we never really get a flash back to him in the military. And then there was that thing with the white haired dude.
We did get information from the Saxophone player that told us how they'd all served in the army for a while. It only showed Vicious and the other guy, but it mentioned Spike as well. Its funny, all the supporting characters discover their own past in the show, but Spike, who knows his past, only receives glimpses of it.

MicrosoftPaysMe

Mar 4, 2009
i thought Super 8 was a great movie 2/3 of the way thru but then it took a turn for the worse. Didnt like the end of Halo 3 either. Master Chief and Cortana are floating through space, forever. Lame

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
MicrosoftPaysMe said:
i thought Super 8 was a great movie 2/3 of the way thru but then it took a turn for the worse. Didnt like the end of Halo 3 either. Master Chief and Cortana are floating through space, forever. Lame
I take it you haven't seen the Halo 4 trailer...

MicrosoftPaysMe

Mar 4, 2009
The Lost Big Boss said:
MicrosoftPaysMe said:
The Halo 4 trailer has nothing to do with the Halo 3 ending

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
DannyJBeckett said:
Anything that has the "It was all a dream" twist.
I take it you haven't seen Open Your Eyes?

Inception could be interpreted as having this ending also (although I personally disagree), but even with it would still be badass.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
Worst Game Ending: How The Grinch Stole Christmas (N64, PS, DC)

Worst Movie Ending: Law Abiding Citizen. A fantastic movie ruined by the worst fucking ending that could have possibly been dreamed up. It could have only been worse if, when Foxx was in the cell with Butler, a man in a banana suit ran in, screamed, "Tyuvoifuat ahkbfhdby ihihiygiygg!!!", shot them both with a gun made out of a tree (with the branches still on it), ran outside and fought Godzilla in a 50-story tall robot the shape of a pregnant guppy.

Actually, I take that back; the movie would have fucking amazing with that ending.

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
MicrosoftPaysMe said:
The Lost Big Boss said:
MicrosoftPaysMe said:
The Halo 4 trailer has nothing to do with the Halo 3 ending
Uh, yeah, it does.

As for me, it had to be Duke Nukem Forever's ending.

You get an awesome climax against the big bad(if rather badly controlled) and then all you get is Duke saying "I'm gonna run for president!"

And...that's it.

Not women-on-his arms badassery, or maybe even him announcing it on the Damn, It's Late show...Just a few words at the press conference.

Fanfic_warper

Jan 24, 2011
I have yet to run into a game with a bad ending

But as for Books: The Darren Shan Saga....everything undone by time paradox......Bull fraking shit.

Movies: Repo Man....the last half of the movie was all a dream and never really happened.

Code Geass: Main character dies in the most anti-climatic way possible.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
I don't know if anyone here watched the anime Eden of the East, but it's ending is contained in two sequel movies. The first is okay as it feels as if it's building towards the second, but the second is horribly anti-climatic. That's the one that comes to mind for me, there's probably some more, but that's it for now.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
kcjerith said:
WolfThomas said:
DannyJBeckett said:
Except Grant Morrison's Animalman, that was both touching and great subversion.
Thanks for the spoiler warning......
Yeah I thought about whether I should spoiler it, but if you read it's not really that much of a spoiler, it's only used in a very specific moment and it's so self aware about it that it's not exactly a twist. One of those things where it's the execution that's important not the surprise. Sorry I did spoil someones day though.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
DannyJBeckett said:
There are dozens of beautiful uses of this trope. The problem is when it's used as a convenience that essentially renders most of the film pointless, but it's very possible to use it in a way that makes the story more meaningful rather than less. See the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari for a great example (one of the first uses of the trope too). There are also a lot of newer pieces of media where dreams play a central role and the discovery that it was "all a dream" is less an ass-pull and more a clever way to build upon the themes present (a few arcs in the Sandman come to mind).

My submission would be Battlestar Galactica (the new one). Jesus CHRIST that was a terrible ending. I know the writers had already admitted before that they were writing in all of that mystery without a real conclusion in mind, but I can hardly imagine a more clumsy and obvious bit of deus ex machina. Scratch that, I can't imagine one. Hell, it's definitionally impossible for any ending to be a more gratuitous use of deus ex machina.

Serenity Fallen

Aug 17, 2011
I'm surprised the original Neon Genesis Evangelion series ending hasn't been mentioned yet.

My kid sister at the time asked me if I was actually watching some sort of self-help video. =(