Terry Pratchett Makes His Own Heavenly Sword

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Impluse_101 said:
vanthebaron said:
Terry you copy cat
Was wondering when someone would reference that.
Does this mean he is now Sokka? Because I'm not sure if that adds or detracts from his awesomeness.

OT: Sir Terry, you are officially one of the top 10 most awesome men alive.

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
This solidifies my resolve to gain a sword ... I wonder If the carry law passes here in Chicago I can carry a longsword?

FakingVanity

Sep 10, 2010
This man shaped my childhood imagination with his books. That is the most epic thing a modern day knight has done I think...

I'm gonna go settle down with his newest book...Brilliant.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
AizenTheAzure said:
Didn't Ninja Theory make Heavenly Sword....
Indeed they did. However, Alex Garland didn't make Enslaved, so anything's possible.

TheMonkeySlayer

Mar 7, 2009
AizenTheAzure said:
Didn't Ninja Theory make Heavenly Sword....
I noticed that too. Pretty easy mistake to make though, I guess.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Ninja'd

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
I could only wish I will be this badass when I'm suffering from early onset Alzheimer's.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
Something tells me that he's probably been planning this for a while, it would take a LONG time to learn all of that knowledge.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
thenumberthirteen said:
It's a good thing he wasn't made a Canon.
/ba-dum-tsch [http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot]

But all respects to Sir Pterry. Hopefully you'll strike down the dragon of Alzheimer's with it.
ummm either my anti-virus is messed up or that site has a virus

O.T. ok that's awesome how many people make their own sword by hand anymore?

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
vansau said:
Terry Pratchett Makes His Own Heavenly Sword

The man behind Discworld is so serious about being a knight that he made his own sword out of meteorites.

Terry Pratchett is not only the best-selling author of the acclaimed <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Color-Magic-Discworld-Novel/dp/0060855924/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285009229&sr=8-1>Discworld series, but he's also a full-fledged knight (as of last year). However, he's taken his recent knighthood a bit further - and cooler - than most people would and made himself an actual sword.

Apparently Pratchett didn't feel that the sword would really be his unless he produced the metal it would be created with. As a result, he found a field near his home in Wiltshire, England, and collected 81kg of iron ore. The author then smelted the iron at his house with a makeshift kiln built out of clay and hay, fueled from sheep manure.

According to Pratchett, he also added, "several pieces of meteorites - thunderbolt iron, you see," to the mix. After he spent several days hammering the metal into bars, he took them to a blacksmith, whom he then assisted in creating the sword (which was then finished with silverwork).

The finished product, seen at right, is clearly a beautiful work of art. However, the author has stored the weapon in a secret location for the time being, mainly because he's concerned that the authorities will have a problem with him possessing a sword. According to Sir Pratchett, "It annoys me that knights aren't allowed to carry their swords. That would be knife crime."

On a side note, Pratchett's daughter, Rhianna Pratchett, wrote the plot for Team Ninja's <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Heavenly-Sword-Playstation-3/dp/B000K9OP2A/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285010415&sr=8-1>Heavenly Sword.

Source: <a href=http://www.news.com.au/technology/terry-pratchett-creates-a-sword-with-meteorites/story-e6frfro0-1225926584339>News.com.au via <a href=http://blastr.com/2010/09/terry-pratchett-made-his.php>Blastr

Image source: <a href=http://www.paulkidby.com/news/apr2010.html>Paul Kidby

I'm with Terry Pratchet on this one. Britain's weapon laws look really, really annoying. Especially since Switzerland has less crime.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I approve of this... and honestly if you're made a knight of the realm you should be able to carry a sword with you everywhere, otherwise what is the bloody point?

Phantomess

Sep 19, 2009
Ah, thunderbolt iron. I'm guessing he's planning to keep the gentry away, then?

Still, it's a sweet piece. I've have that on my wall.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
BehattedWanderer said:
Man has an uncharted level of amazing left in him. I work next to a foundry and can't even make my own sword. Proof of the level of his awesomeness, no?
Well, if I read that correctly he didn't actually make it, he had people do a lot of the work for him. He simply got the project going, and apparently housed the iron smelting.

-

As far as the rest goes, I can understand why he can't carry a sword around, but at the same time I'm not entirely sure about why he'd be concerned about the police to the point of hiding it in general. If someone can't keep a sword in their own home (on the mantle or whatever) then I think people in the UK might want to seriously start re-thinking some of their laws and putting pressure on the goverment as that is getting into the realm of utter ridiculousness.

On the other hand, I was reading some thing not too long ago about how an armed robber was killed while breaking into someone's house, and the guy who killed him wound up going to jail for it. Apparently Anonymous was rallying to his defense at some point (not sure when it happened exactly). The US has laws that can work that way too, but the situation itself seemed even more absurd than some of the US equivilents (where they guy probably wouldn't have landed jail time).

Schizzy

Oct 9, 2008
Terry Pratchett was already pure awesomeness before he made this sword.

No words can describe his greatness now!