Test Your Mental Might With The Escapist's First-Ever Puzzle Adventure!

nicknak49

Oct 11, 2010
Just got after a couple of hours staring blankly at the final numbers only to randomly press down on my keyboard whilst on the answer box to have it bring up the answer, which i had tried a few days ago. having got to the stage after the numbers (partially, i can see how its linked) I'm glad I can finally sleep. Until Puzzle Adventure 2!!

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Distorted Stu said:
Okay ive had my rage.

I enjoyed these puzzles, great stuff and funt o do! Great mental challenge. As for the last step of 5.1 - Thank god for google images. Soon as i seen a certain pattern occuring in the search results, something clicked in my head and i worked it out!
This is not the last step :)

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
[HEADING=1]A note on the final few steps of 5-1[/HEADING]

To be honest, I found the final clue by following a different name pattern entirely, and I'm not the only one who did so. We found it almost immediately after the website was discovered. However, with the people in the picture being who they are, there was another logical leap available that allowed us to bypass the last step. I was working on the final clue when someone else got the game name, and then all focus was drawn away from the puzzle and toward deducing the game from the pictures, which led me (us?) to believe that the last two steps were in fact red herrings.

Is there a way to get around this? I don't know. With a puzzle this complex (there are 7 clear logical steps), there are bound to be unintended paths to completion. The only thing I can think of is disallowing people from commenting on the game or its title, only on the puzzle. When people start commenting on the solution, the puzzle changes from the one originally set down by the Escapist staff and instead becomes a game of decoding clues to deduce the answer. However, since there are some cases where we may not have played every game that is a solution, that would necessarily remove some of us from the pool on the basis of game variety rather than puzzling ability.

Another possibility would I suppose be demanding a second step to entering the final puzzle's answer, where we have to also enter the solution to the last step of the puzzle directly. So after entering the correct game, make us prove that we got there legitimately. I think this may be the best way, as it forces us to solve the puzzle even if we manage to deduce the game name from unintended methods. I'd only recommend doing this on the last one though, as having to show our work on all 15 would be both tiresome and irritating.

I have been inspired by this week of puzzles to do something similar on another site, and this is the measure I will be putting in to make sure people solve the final puzzle rather than guessing the answer. I'll let you all know how it's received, and if it ends up being viable I hope to see it in the second instalment of the Puzzle Adventure.

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
Arg I can't even
get to the spiral
I'm so clearly missing something about the odd letters...

Edit: Badger Nipples! After doing through so much bs I figure it out RIGHT after I finally gave up and posted about it... now 20 more steps to go.

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
Rycerzyk said:
I still have no idea how to solve it even knowing the game,
I think i need another hint for this one.
Are you at the last step (the 5 numbers)?

If so, then just apply a bit of elementary logic, and you'll be there.

The Cake

Nov 15, 2008
C95J said:
Owlslayer said:
C95J said:
I am no good with puzzles.

I looked through these forums then people talk about the number sequence, 978159582593, and you know who, then suddenly talk about a website with a hole??? What the hell is going on I understood where the numbers come from and the following step but I am lost from there on...
Maybe look at the freshest review of a certain book you should find if you know what to do with those numbers
You never know what you might find...
yeah I did, and I got:

Mogworld, but there is no clue where to go from there, coupled with the fact that I am the worst person in the world at puzzles makes me wonder why I am even doing this in the first place... :p
I managed to make it to the step
right before the website, but I cannot get to said website, I think search assist is screwing me over

Rycerzyk

Dec 14, 2010
tautologico said:
Rycerzyk said:
tautologico said:
The last step (for 5-1) is pretty brutal. All the other steps have good clues in them, if you pay attention. The last one doesn't seem (to me) to have any indication of what to do with the information. It's nifty after you know how to solve it, but it's still a leap.
I still have no idea how to solve it even knowing the game,
I think i need another hint for this one.
If you know the answer, try to think how the first number is related to the first letter of the answer. Think about a field of knowledge somewhat related to mathematics.
Thanks so much, I just facepalmed myself
I was looking in the right thing but just reading it wrong!!

EDIT: And it realy would be pain to do this without knowing the answer. They should give us a little clue on this one.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
castlewise said:
Muahahahaha. Took 3 university professors to do it but... here is a hint to get from the 5 mysterious numbers on the black background to the final answer:

Come on come on and meet the elements!
Thank you, finally someone figure it out! But that was kind of far-fetched, how were we supposed to know that? All other steps were at least hinted at, this was completely random as far as I can tell. Also, why begin with 0?

But now that I've solved it, it's a freaking AWESOME puzzle, well worth the final spot. Who created it?

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
tautologico said:
Distorted Stu said:
Okay ive had my rage.

I enjoyed these puzzles, great stuff and funt o do! Great mental challenge. As for the last step of 5.1 - Thank god for google images. Soon as i seen a certain pattern occuring in the search results, something clicked in my head and i worked it out!
This is not the last step :)
Well it was for me. Taken me ages, tried doing all sorts with those numbers... decoding, ciphers, math, coordinates etc. Only until i decided to search in google images that i seen something to do with the games title. Then, to wiki i went and decoded the fuckers.

Rycerzyk

Dec 14, 2010
GeorgW said:
castlewise said:
Muahahahaha. Took 3 university professors to do it but... here is a hint to get from the 5 mysterious numbers on the black background to the final answer:

Come on come on and meet the elements!
Thank you, finally someone figure it out! But that was kind of far-fetched, how were we supposed to know that? All other steps were at least hinted at, this was completely random as far as I can tell. Also, why begin with 0?

But now that I've solved it, it's a freaking AWESOME puzzle, well worth the final spot. Who created it?
They begin with 0 because its what wikipedia says, and most people is using it as reference.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
i am not god said:
DiMono- there are actually 8 steps, and the last two do actually link together to give the answer.
We're counting differently. My step 6 is changing the URL.

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
Aaaaand, I got it. Though I do hope they post a walkthrough because
I never got past the spiral.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I DID IT! YES! Jesus Christ, that was hard! Thank you Escapist editors for making such a mind-f***ing puzzle, and thank you Escapist posters for all the helpful hints in all 5 days.

*Bows* Truly, you are puzzle masters.

Tarlane

Charismatic Leader
May 5, 2009
Well that took four hours of my life but I had decided I was going to do day 5 on my own if it took all damn weekend. Instead it just removed the productiveness from half my work day.

Really great puzzle by the way(pretty much all of them were). Now to read the comments and revel in the remaining poor frustrated bastards.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
GeorgW said:
Sun Flash said:
I didn't even attempt to figure out day 5, I just guessed

hmm, what does the Escapist love more than basements and reference cookies?

That just leaves yesterday's puzzles...
THANK YOU!! I got it on my first guess after that.
But I still want to figure out what to do after the changed URL.
*gasp*

I... was... helpful?!

Your welcome :D

and with 4-2 finally done, no thanks to the footery Google Maps I am finished. You guys have been awesome, couldn't have done it without you's! Same time next year?

Oh and I'll be having my reward now.

*buffers badge on chest*