TGS '10: Devil May Cry Getting Reboot, Face-Lift

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Hubilub said:
This announcement has brought out some of the most annoying whiners ever.

And they're not the ones you'd expect.

"Oh look, all the fanboys are mad because they are afraid of change! They're so immature! I didn't like DMC anyway!"

Every time I see an argument like this I get quite aggravated.

I mean, here we have a game series of 4 games in which only 2 of them are held in high regard. The second in the series is mostly ignored by people, and 4 was a huge disappointment for many because of the switch in Protagonist. People really wanted to see a new generation Devil May Cry game featuring the Dante they all know and love.

Then comes this reboot. The art-style is completely different from what DMC fans have come to expect, as it is now more dystopian future than a gothic setting, and Dante looks, sounds, and seemingly acts nothing like he used to.

I get it, not everyone thinks this reboot is a bad idea, and are intrigued, but they need to understand that to a lot of us, we still want a great DMC game on the new generation more similar to DMC 3 or 1 before we move on to a reboot. The series hasn't been given the proper goodbye it deserves. I mean for christ sake, continuity wise the series ends with a cliffhanger. Is it so hard to understand that people don't want change until the original series has been given a satisfying conclusion?

So please, stop calling people opposed to this "fanboys", or say that they are afraid of change, because it's not true. Some people might be overly dramatic about this, but that's no reason to insult them.
a voice of reason that a nice change. i just think he's ugly now, they could have done a better job designing him

Mykayel1

Jul 27, 2010
Lyri said:
Fuck the fanboys.

DMC was rather stale, props to Ninja Theory for going 180 on it's ass.
I agree. There should be T-Shirts with the new Dante and the text I Believe under it or something :))

Although I wouldn't buy one. :p Joking aside, I don't see what the big deal is, it's another DmC game and I don't really care if the fans aprove of it or not, I'm gonna get it anyway. Assuming of course they don't fuck up the gameplay. (still waiting for a gameplay video)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Queen Michael said:
"What is your name?"

"Lisbeth Salander."

(Yeah, I stole that joke from FargoDog, but dang does it look like her. Especially like I imagined her in the books.)
Actually, I think his real name is Hillary Swank.

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
Silva said:
Devil May Cry is not about a black haired, smoking boyhood protagonist who ends up in chains tortured several times. It's about a white haired half-demon man who enjoys pizza and strawberry sundaes who repeatedly gets stabbed through the chest with his own sword during his adventures.
That part right there made me chuckle and remember the good old days.

Only Capcom can handle this with the care that it deserves. And even they have not been treating it properly since DMC3, which still as far as I'm concerned is the best of the series.
Got to be honest here, never though someone other than me might say those words.
Anyway if the gameplay is ok, and if they officially call it "Game that shares DMC combat style" then I'm fine with it.

Drazeric

Feb 24, 2010
Lyri said:
Fuck the fanboys.

DMC was rather stale, props to Ninja Theory for going 180 on it's ass.
I fully agree, and this game actually looks pretty cool, but i need to see a gameplay vid first before i buy it

Lust

Mar 23, 2010
Ever since I saw the trailer, I can't get this image out of my head....

......Dante is reminding me more and more of Inuyasha.........

......oh well....

OT:

I actually want to see what becomes of this game. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Daquin

Mar 31, 2009
I'm not angry with this, but I am not happy with it either. From how DMC 4 seemed to go, I was expecting Virgil to come back to be evil, a flavor of evil that would need both Ichigo...I mean Nero and Dante. Yes, that story would be contrived, but it would be that generic anime silliness that they really went to 11 with in the Dante portions of DMC 4.

I am not a fan of "gritty retcons" because they always seem to work for the lowest common denominator. It reminds me way too much of the 90's where all comic characters had to be all muscle and rawrg. DMC started silly (I wish I could be the one to fill your dark soul with liiiiiiiiight!) and it continued the silliness through the series except in 2 which I still consider the worst of the series. Yes, the Nero aspect of the story was very Bleach (in more than just Nero and Ichigo having the same voice actor), but that was why Dante is there, to say that the story was contrived and then go on his own silly tangent.

DMC, at the core, should be more Brutal Legend and less God of War.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
blakfayt said:
To every fan saying "how dare they change Dante!" I point out the only series I've ever known to just do what the fans want... Heroes. Yes, that shit faced show that died after one season died mainly because all the fans demanded that everything stay the same and it did, and it died. DMC is not a series that is typically played by the halo lover groups, therefore it must eventually change, or die. If it was always about this one guy, killing these few new demons and consuming about 20 hours of you life before you realize you own with this weapon set, and you get all the health and you beat the game many times, you would eventually get bored with it, every good game must at one point or another change the formula to fend off stagnation. I for one think the new Dante is creepy as fuck and if done right this new game could be similar to what DMC was originally gonna be. (for those that don't know, DMC was going to be some kind of Resident Evil spin off with demons, and instead we got an epic hack'n'slash, so they could make this new game kinda scary, along with some of the old DMC awesome and it could go far) I'm a true fan of DMC and as such I will wait until this game comes out before I pass judgement on it. (though, Dante's hair is kinda emo lookin)
Firstly, excluding how the different concepts of Heroes and DMC as well as their different mediums might very well make your argument lose a lot of strength, there's a difference between demanding that you never change your formula and not wanting a reboot. I haven't seen anyone cry out "WE WANT DMC TO BE EXACTLY THE SAME WITH NO INNOVATION WHATSOEVER!". People don't want a reboot because they still believe that the series as it is can reach new highs, not because they want to play remakes of the first game until the world's end.

Secondly, there are only 4 games in the DMC series, and 2 of them are either hated (DMC 2) or is generally considered to not living up to the other games standards (DMC 4), and the overall story of the franchise is currently in a cliffhanger after the end of the second game. Saying that you can't make improvements to the series and that it is doomed from this point is jumping to very drastic conclusions. The fact is that DMC still has a ton of potential without the need for making a reboot. And even then, there are still several questions that need answer, like what is Nero's direct link to Sparda, and did Dante ever make it out of hell?

There is a ton of sequel material for the series. A new game wouldn't have to have a forced plot because there's still much to work on, unlike Heroes. You don't have to make a reboot to make an innovative game.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
Queen Michael said:
"What is your name?"

"Lisbeth Salander."

(Yeah, I stole that joke from FargoDog, but dang does it look like her. Especially like I imagined her in the books.)
Indeed.
If the game turns out to be good, I might check it out.
And am I the only one who thought the trailer was a little badass? Well, except for Dante's looks?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Deadlock Radium said:
Queen Michael said:
"What is your name?"

"Lisbeth Salander."

Indeed.
And am I the only one who thought the trailer was a little badass? Well, except for Dante's looks?
It's Lisbeth Salander, friend; of course she's going to be badass. :) But yeah, it was cool.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
Queen Michael said:
Deadlock Radium said:
Queen Michael said:
"What is your name?"

"Lisbeth Salander."

Indeed.
It's Lisbeth Salander, friend; of course she's going to be badass. :) But yeah, it was cool.
I need to go read the rest of the Millenium books.
I have only read Menn som Hater Kvinner (Translated to Norwegian you know.)

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I just realized that the Devil May Cry series and it's protagonists is starting to get on the same track as the Metal Gear Solid series.

Think about it: there are for main MGS titles, and you only get to play as Solid Snake in three of them, and one of those only for a short while.

Meanwhile, in Devil May Cry, you play as Dante in all of the games, yet in DMC4 you get the "bait and switch" with Nero as you did with Raiden.

The main difference of course is that Nero isn't nearly the whiny little ***** that Raiden is, and he was actually fun to play as.

And now both are doing some kind of freaky reboot sideshow type deal. I can only hope that this new DmC turns out to be good enough to live up to it's name.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I'm still not fully taken in by this, theres still plenty of story to be told with the series' other characters. Even so, I can see this new image becomming a thorn in the side of the devs, people liked Dante, he is the main DMC guy, not Travis Touchdown. I'd rather see them putting out a HD version of the first DMC game(s) or a second Bayonetta, which in my opinion, has just raised the bar for this genre.

Also, why the hell are reboots becoming the in thing recently? Is there really no imagination left?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Deadlock Radium said:
Queen Michael said:
Deadlock Radium said:
Queen Michael said:
"What is your name?"

"Lisbeth Salander."

Indeed.
I need to go read the rest of the Millenium books.
I have only read Menn som Hater Kvinner (Translated to Norwegian you know.)
Do the names of characters and places seem funny (as in ha-ha funny) to you? To us Swedes, Norwegian and Danish are funny languages, but they don't sound funny when I read names in those languages in Danish and Norwegian novels that have been translated to Swedish. Do the Swedish names in Män som hatar kvinnor sound funny to you?

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
This game is gonna crash so hard. Devil May Cry sales seem to be mostly fan based, with not many other people really enjoying the ridiculously awesome Dante and his hack 'n' slash based adventures outside the fan base and anyone with an interest in the genre.

In all honesty why didn't they just create a whole new hack 'n' slash game? It probably would of done better, and would of allowed them more creative freedom without causing fan rage en mass.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Man you guys can be stupid. This is a prequel. Dante's white hair and burly exterior came about when his powers fully awakened at like 18. This game leads Dante through that. Pause at 59 seconds, look at what you see (WHITE HAIR) and stop being a bunch of whiny fucks. Jesus.