That point when you just gave up.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
People love to complain about how stuff has gone downhill in their favorite franchise. But sometimes even the most die-hard fan admits defeat and says "fuck it, i'm done. I'm out." and I was wondering if anyone else has actually done this.

Hell, why not include moments when you have given up on something in normal, everyday life.

Bleach: The whole vampire filler arc. I don't know why but I had no motivation to go on after that.

One Piece: the moment when I realized "this isn't ever going to end."

High School: After breaking the bridge I had built in physics class. The thought process went like this: "This bridge represents all the learning I've done throughout my high school career. and now, it has been destroyed by my own hand. FUCK IT. I'M DONE WITH EVERYTHING. TIME TO COAST. SEE YOU IN COLLEGE, BRAIN." Granted that it was pretty late in the school year, so it didn't affect my grade too much.
So, has the escapist ever given up on anything

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
A lot of arguments.
Sometimes it was like talking to a brick wall, you just knew you were in for a retarded "argument" (if it could even qualify) when your opponent starts making personal jabs like your mum jokes, calling you a retard, and all that jazz, instead of reasons as to why they are correct.

Also I actually see some progression in One Piece, they're finally in the "last leg of the race" as it were since they're finally in the New World. Then again it's a popular anime and you just know they'll take forever to end, but that's not always a bad thing... Blargh I'm just rambling now.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
With regards to tv, I've given up on How I Met Your Mother. I'm still watching, it's mostly just for curiosities sake, but I just don't give a crap anymore. They've stretched things out too much, tried to keep the money train rolling too long, and now it's a borderline unwatchable show.

Other than that, there's not really anything I've given up on

Nevermind, I've given up on the Halo franchise. Halo 4 ruined it all for em

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
My big one was with Rainbow Six Vegas, when I realized everything that had made the franchise appealing to me had been excised from it and left behind a tremendously bland and generic shooter.

My really big one, though, was at some point during my first playthrough of Oblivion. That was when every trace of optimism or idealism I held towards the game industry was ingloriously, mercilessly and irreversibly obliterated and I became jaded and cynical about the whole thing in a way I can't feel for anything else in the world. This is not when I gave up on a specific franchise so much as when I gave up, just a little, on all of them. I don't think I'm a worse person for this, it's saved me a lot of money and protected me, in large part, from disappointment. It's amazing how much a game can surprise you when you're incapable of getting hyped for it.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
ComradeJim270 said:
My really big one, though, was at some point during my first playthrough of Oblivion. That was when every trace of optimism or idealism I held towards the game industry was ingloriously, mercilessly and irreversibly obliterated and I became jaded and cynical about the whole thing in a way I can't feel for anything else in the world. This is not when I gave up on a specific franchise so much as when I gave up, just a little, on all of them. I don't think I'm a worse person for this, it's saved me a lot of money and protected me, in large part, from disappointment. It's amazing how much a game can surprise you when you're incapable of getting hyped for it.
May I ask what about Oblivion caused this? Was it the story, gameplay, mechanics, or what?

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
After the ending controversy, I've given up on Mass Effect. I just can't give a fuck about that series anymore. I don't want a Mass Effect 4, even if it does something to straighten that shit out. You have to have failed real hard when a big fan wouldn't care if that franchise went belly-up tomorrow, and a big fan I was: I bought all of the games, including the Iphone ones, new. I've read all of the novels up to that point, and even went and got myself some of the comics as trades. I didn't have lots of disdain for the franchise, and I saw what they were going for in several of the characters that most people took issue with. But ever since those last five minutes I couldn't care anymore: all of those characters stopped mattering, since everyone was pretty fucked anyway. Mass Effect 3 wasn't a terrible game either: it had some faults in its presentation yeah, but up until those last five minutes it was still a terrific game! Then they blew it. And I just said "fuck it" and didn't even finish my master playthrough.

Another thing that made me give up was in a more recent game: Halo 4. Back in Halo 3 and Reach I had tuned my forging capabilities to what some have called perfection, building tons of things from spaceships to cities to massive sculptures and shit. With Halo 4, they took out a few things that were absolutely essential to that toolbox: the Precision Editing controls and monitor zoom. Precision editing does exactly what it says: edit shit precisely. Monitor zoom was a binocular zoom feature that allowed you to put your work under a microscope and line that shit up perfectly. of course, some idiot on the dev team though that needed replacement. What did they replace it with? Fucking magnets: a concept that in-of itself isn't bad, but for more unusual shapes it just didn't work. Those are good for lining up walls on boxes and shit, and little else. I was flying all over the damn place just trying to line my shit up straight, but with the magnets in all of the wrong places for my work it just didn't work. Eventually, I just couldn't take it anymore. so once again, I said fuck it.

There are probably countless other stories but right now I can't think of them. I might be back later though.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I agree with giving up on bleach. They killed Aizen, and then it didn't end. I went "well, fuck this noise" and stopped watching. Granted I'd stopped watching a while before that, but I came back to watch what I thought was the conclusion, since I still had a vested interest in the characters. Now I really just don't give a crap anymore. Bleach really does represent to me everything that can be wrong with an anime that's still technically proficient.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
uchytjes said:
May I ask what about Oblivion caused this? Was it the story, gameplay, mechanics, or what?
It's tempting to just be a smartass and go "Yes." But the real issue is that I was boundlessly optimistic about it and totally bought into the hype, and my expectations for it were based on my immense love of Morrowind. It fell so far short of the bar I set that it caused the aforementioned reaction. I starting looking at it in an intensely critical fashion and it just looked like crap, and then I started looking at other games as a matter of course and went "Wow, a lot of this is kind of crap, and these folks are full of BS, I better take a more cautious and less trusting approach in the future".

EDIT: If you want more details, you can look at my post history and find my ranting, raving review of it which people seemed to think was pretty funny anyway.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Keoul said:
A lot of arguments.
Sometimes it was like talking to a brick wall, you just knew you were in for a retarded "argument" (if it could even qualify) when your opponent starts making personal jabs like your mum jokes, calling you a retard, and all that jazz, instead of reasons as to why they are correct.
I one time had a argument where someone said the connotation of a word changed due to artists being sad. I like to think the guy just didn't know what I was talking about. Because that's like saying a hair brush is something for cooking bread, because my heater runs on gas. Maybe I didn't explain my point well, but to say that I don't think the guy had a clear grasp of what the word "connotation" means. And that is what I am getting at. When people refuse what I word means in an argument is when I go "fuck it."

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Bleach. Around book 25. I kept reading because I have a policy of reading all the manga books I can find at the library, not just the good stuff, so I'll learn as much as possible about manga, But I realized that this just wasn't ever going to get interesting. Some other character I don't care about does something I don't care about... And the plot clearly isn't all that planned out... Sorry, I gave it a fair chance, but it's just not fun anymore.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ultimate Spiderman, pretty much after "Field Trip" but only because I was acting "F*ck that!" after reading the synopis to the upcoming episode "Freaky Friday" (pretty much like that film bu it's Spiderman and Wolverine).
Sure I know that was actually baed on a comicbook but consider just how awful that show is, I should of given up on it after the episodes "Doomed" (showing that Peter and co are the most douchest and immature characters I've ever seen) or "Venom" (you DO NOT get Venom just by playing with Peter blood and that is the most stupidest idea to make Vemon)!!!

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I think I "slightly" gave up watching the most recent My Little Pony episodes.
Sure, when i start waching again, I won't stop until i SEE THEM ALL [the curse of Pony Virus to our veins people...].
I really love the shoe and i don't hate it, but I think I reach a point I don't want to bother...
But no hate, cause I even did fan-artworks for the show and I don't have regrets.

But I must say I trully gave up to the recent Resident Evil and Silent Hill games.
Now the developers want their games to become action titles, killing completely the horror elements they had in the past...
This make me sad....

Also I gave up Metal Gear...........story.
No the games, the games are awesome!!!! Just the story.
After I played Metal Gear Solid 4, I just.......I gave up......f*ck this sh*t man, why they didn't stopped at Metal Gear Solid 3? It had a good story!!!! Only one game made me to hate the WHOLE story of the series!!!!

That all.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
A bit of a self inflicted reason. I was hooked on Animal Crossing on the DS, was playing it non-stop on nightshift (even though the whole world was essentially asleep).

Anyway, I'd put loads of time and effort into it when I discovered that you could fuck with the world's date and time simply by changing your DS time/date but at the cost of your village's state (friendship levels and weeds mainly). Well, I had a grand old time exploring all the big days, events, different clothes and stuff. Once I had finished my world was falling apart, most the neighbours had moved and those who had stuck around hated me. I also now had nothing to look forward to... so gave up at that point. :(

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
Lionsfan said:
With regards to tv, I've given up on How I Met Your Mother. I'm still watching, it's mostly just for curiosities sake, but I just don't give a crap anymore. They've stretched things out too much, tried to keep the money train rolling too long, and now it's a borderline unwatchable show.

Other than that, there's not really anything I've given up on

Nevermind, I've given up on the Halo franchise. Halo 4 ruined it all for em
I'd agree with HIMYM, they should have really capped it off in S7. As far as i'm aware 8 is the last series, i hope so. I just want to be done with it really.

I gave up massively on the FF Franchise with XIII. I hated the combat system and the linearity. Until i hear from numerous sources they're back to being awesome I'll probably never play another one.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
uchytjes said:
Bleach: The whole vampire filler arc. I don't know why but I had no motivation to go on after that.
That's why I skip fillers. They ruin everything and are never good.

I'm actually happy to say I've never given up on a franchise. Or if I have, I don't remember it off the top of my head.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
uchytjes said:
One Piece: the moment when I realized "this isn't ever going to end."
May God hear you bro, this is without doubt top 3 of more than a hundred shonens that I have read and one of the finest mangas ever.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
an annoyed writer said:
I cant give up on mass effect just because of a fucked up ending (yes..even as fucked up as that) that said though I reeeeeeeaaaaaaallly dont know if I can make myself play ME4 if its a prequel

fuck prequels

then theres assasins creed which I'm not that attatched too..but I probably will keep playing it because "eh why not" I'm still interested in what happnes next and I cant really be disapointed

I have a feeling this thread is going ot get very cynical..and very depressing

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
I think I gave up on Bleach in the Bount arc as well, difference being that I came back to it afterwards.
That said, I gave up on it again halfway through the Uluquiorra fight, because to memory they managed to squeeze in TWO entire side-stories. It got so ridiculous they started taking the piss out of it themselves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr-DTmNQMLw. I think I gave up about there.

Gave up on Naruto Shippuden around 130 for similar reasons, although now that that's finished I'll no doubt go back to it sometime. The other reason was that I kept getting deaths spoiled. Kinda ruins it for me.
Word to the wise: Avoid Youtube comments.
(actual quote: "If you thought xxx's death was bad, wait til you see zzz's" RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAARRRGH!)