That point when you just gave up.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
Pff, where to start. To save LOTS of time I'll do a list:

Mass Effect franchise- when Legion forgot to copy paste his soul.
Every game Bethesda Softworks have out out- when I realised they were shit at making video games.
Deep Silver Studios- See above.
Pokemon- When I realised each game was essentailly identical (X and Y may change this).
Devil May Cry- When I first saw Nero, then I actually enjoyed the game, then when Ninja Theory fucked everything up.
Metal Gear Solid 2- Raiden.
Jak and Daxter- When we went to the future and the games stopped pretending they were about anything.
Sonic franchise- When Sega starting gimmicking the shit out of each release, roughly the time Shadow got his own game.
Mario- After I realised Paper Mario was the best game that would be made for a years-gone-stale franchise.
Steam- After I realised it had become a monopoly. I don't like monopolies that limit user choice, it's wrong.
Castlevania- After Dawn of Sorrows, seriously they were either bland or terrible, especially that 360 pile of shite.
Saints Row 3- About the same time it jumped the shark, which was during it's teaser trailer.
Capcom- Two words: Resident. Evil. And have three more: On. Disc. DLC. And have another three: Money. Grabbing. Cunts.
The Gaming Community at large- When they started cat fighting amongst themselves rather than enjoying the games they love and tackling the monolithic companies who are actually to blame for the state of the industry at the moment.

There we go. That about wraps it up. I won't mention Anime etc. or else this list would never fucking end...

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
I had planned to spend the whole year in Japan, I ended up spending only three months, there were a lot of good good things and a lot of bad things.

Before I left, it was a real struggle cause I wanted to continue my Japanese studies but I hated the way their society behaved.

But what broke the camel's back is when I ordered some food (and food is quite expensive in Japan) and they gave me the poorest excuse of a meal that I had ever seen and then had the gall to charge me when I asked for some sauce to put on it.

I left and I felt happy.

SweetShark said:
Also I gave up Metal Gear...........story.
No the games, the games are awesome!!!! Just the story.
After I played Metal Gear Solid 4, I just.......I gave up......f*ck this sh*t man, why they didn't stopped at Metal Gear Solid 3? It had a good story!!!! Only one game made me to hate the WHOLE story of the series!!!!

That all.
Essentially this. I wouldn't say the game made me hate the story of the whole series (I still like the ideas put forward in MGS1 and MGS2), but goddamn I stopped following Metal Gear after that game.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
The last twenty minutes of ME3 is when I gave up on Bioware.

And I was a pretty die-hard fan... since... for one thing, I actually went to the trouble of defending Dragon Age 2's story on a few occasions. Funny thing is, with that one, I did have some ground to stand on... there were some indications that DA2's story would have been much, much better if EA had given the dev team more time.

I had even written a 20 page research paper on the ME series (mostly focused on the first game, with some mentions of 2 in it) for a class on Globalization... and I didn't simply get an A on that paper... my Prof. sent me an email saying she wished she could give me a better score than sodding perfect on the paper.

Then came the last twenty minutes of ME3...

given the work I'd put into it... and the coursework I had staked on their series... I kinda think I had a little right to be upset about that shitty ending (and the extended cut DLC didn't help much; as long as that stupid kid exists, the entire story of ME1 is turned into a giant plot-hole)... but no, according to them, I'm a whiny, entitled homophobe.

Funny, because I don't remember ever once saying anything against the gay community. EVER.

In fact, I remember writing some fiction with gay characters portrayed as VERY sympathetic.

Anyway... so yeah, it was a combination of the last twenty minutes of ME3 and their response to the fans... essentially a giant 'fuck you'. Don't believe me? Try watching the 'new' ending from the Extended Cut DLC.

Thanks to that... I can't get excited about games anymore.

Fuzzed

Dec 27, 2012
Why call it "give-up" when you can call it, "I made the right decision to stop investing time into crap."? Or you can even rename it: "Why sequels suck"

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
uchytjes said:
Bleach: The whole vampire filler arc. I don't know why but I had no motivation to go on after that.
Wait...what? Honestly, I stopped caring after they saved Rukia from the...Afterlife...I can't remember what it's called.

---

Yu Yu Hakusho: I stopped after the big tournament where Yusuke fought whats-his-name...the huge dude with sunglasses. They were being followed around by a penguin at that point I think.

Final Fantasy XIII: Chapter 11. I see the wide-open plain but it's being guarded by a boss fight. A boss fight which I failed roughly 6 times in a row before consulting an FAQ. This was another boss fight the FAQ deemed to be 'easy' and just finally snapped and said 'FUCK. THIS. FUCKING. CUNTY. GAME. I'M GOING BACK TO FINAL FANTASY 4!!!'

Ninja Gaiden: 6-2

ZombiU: The arena.

Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas: The plane tutorials (and mandatory race missions). The mandatory races were a huge pain in the ass but when I got to a series of flight tutorials I just couldn't take any more. It wouldn't have been as bad if I didn't already have a high level of skill when it came to flight...

ScruffyMcBalls said:
Steam- After I realised it had become a monopoly. I don't like monopolies that limit user choice, it's wrong.

Saints Row 3- About the same time it jumped the shark, which was during it's teaser trailer.
for number 1, replace Steam with Gamestop and you have another thing I quit/gave up on. For Saint's Row I waited until about half-way through the prologue.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
ComradeJim270 said:
My big one was with Rainbow Six Vegas, when I realized everything that had made the franchise appealing to me had been excised from it and left behind a tremendously bland and generic shooter.

[...]
I remember getting Vegas 2 and playing through the first mission going "Okay this is the tutor- wait, this is a pretty linear level... So is... Hold up, I didn't go through the planning stage? Well, fuck this ain't Rainbow- oh... It is. I'll, just... Put this one away... (Keep in mind, this [http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/4645-tom-clancy-s-rainbow-six-windows-screenshot-rainbow-six-in-games.gif] was what I was expecting...)

For me, It was the demo for Supreme Commander 2. I loved TA, and the other Supcomm games, but when they took out the primary reason I played those games, I found no enjoyment from it anymore. I always have a tough time with the "Standard RTS Resource System" It's my bane in just about every game that utilizes it, including Anno, which I'm enjoying quite a bit right now. I just don't understand how people have a tough time with the resource system in Forged Alliance and it's predecessors. It's resource-easy-mode that's always running smooth. No waiting, no hassling.

Also, Mass Effect 2 was so goddamn bland. The series was killed right there for me. I tried fiddling with the difficulty, but the drawn-out battles made it boring on easy mode, and the "I need to remain glued to this chest high wall" killed the higher difficulties. Everything I found fun about the combat in the 1st game was removed.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Bleach anime: around the umpteenth one shot filler episode in the middle of an arc.

Bleach manga: a few weeks after they beat Aizen.

Japanese game developers: the day I realised you had to have purchased and finished Pokemon Black 2 to unlock hard mode on either version. This was really the straw the broke the camel's back for me. Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 being handheld exclusive, the Kingdom Hearts franchise jumping between PS2, GBA, DS, PSP and 3DS and Square Enix wasting their time and money failing to jump on the WoW bandwagon instead of making FF6-9 remakes, versus 13 or Kingdom Hearts 3.

The Simpsons: when I saw the Lady Gaga episode. I was a pretty tolerant viewer up until then, but that episode just made me snap.

Mainstream television channels: when Star Trek Voyager was cancelled (once again) in favour of Masterchef reruns.

Blindly defending Diablo 3: the second I got my third inferno mode legendary that was absolutely useless to any level 60, I gave up defending Diablo 3 from the haters. I still enjoy the game but I can't ignore the flaws in the loot system anymore.

Love: I've had my fill of rejection. That's all I'll say.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
rhizhim said:
what kind of bridge?

why didnt you just attempt to replicate leonardos Arched bridge.?

http://www.philosophyblog.com.au/the-machines-of-leonardo-da-vinci/
http://www.mostredileonardo.com/site.asp?idSito=1&idLingua=10&idPagina=222
First of all, the teacher pretty much KNEW if you cheated and looked up a tutorial on the internet. Second, there were min/max height/length/width requirements, so I doubt that would have worked out too well. finally, I just made a simple, horribly constructed arched bridge. Seeing as we could use balsa wood it was easy to bend into an arch. If you google image search "balsa wood bridge" you can see a plethora of designs.

Korenith

Oct 11, 2010
I've given up on the Dexter series pretty much after the Trinity killer series. I really enjoyed it up till then but I've just totally lost interest since then because I feel like the characters have very little new to show me. I have actually watched the two series afterwards but it was with an increasing feeling of "why am I bothering?" Answer being my friends kept saying "oh but it gets really good again". They weren't wrong I suppose but my enthusiasm for the series was already dead.

Also I gave up on both Morrowind and Oblivion halfway through because whilst the world is actually pretty interesting the gameplay just doesn't do it for me at all. It's a shame because I really wanted to like those games.

R4ptur3

Feb 21, 2010
Naruto Shippuden. I haven't completely given up on it but I only watch the anime and having to wait once a week for one episode followed by a month of fillers followed by a 2 week hiatus followed by one episode followed by 4 fillers is such a pain in the ass and I can't be dealing with it haha.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
I had even written a 20 page research paper on the ME series (mostly focused on the first game, with some mentions of 2 in it) for a class on Globalization... and I didn't simply get an A on that paper... my Prof. sent me an email saying she wished she could give me a better score than sodding perfect on the paper.
You made me curious. Is there any chance of seeing that paper?

As for me, I gave up arguing on the Internet. Used to be a time when I would passionately argue anything, even the most inflammatory and subjective topics (i.e. anything religion- or politics-related). Then I got into an argument on YT comments (stupid, I know) which went like this:

Someone: This group stole this song from these other guys! They suck! (sentiment repeated in several posts)
Me: No, they didn't, here's the release dates for respective versions, I looked it up.
Someone: A-HA! You played right into my cunning ploy! I didn't have to look anything up, and you did! You've been exposed as a No True Fan!!

That was the exact moment when I realized that on the Internet, you can never correct anyone. Nobody bothers about referencing and in the end, it's your word against theirs. And their word is louder and more obscene, therefore they always "win".

I occasionally get into little arguments on smaller forums, but it only leads to the reassertion of my cynicism.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Just a few moments ago I gave up on following a portrait drawing tutorial of Michael Pfeiffer.

Why? Because no matter how many times I drew a line or tried to shade something it never looks like it's supposed to. I've followed every step carefully and I just can't make it work. Then I had to draw her nose and mouth and everything just fell apart.

Fuck that shit. I need something else to practice on. Gah I wish I could draw already...

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
A Smooth Criminal said:
Lionsfan said:
With regards to tv, I've given up on How I Met Your Mother. I'm still watching, it's mostly just for curiosities sake, but I just don't give a crap anymore. They've stretched things out too much, tried to keep the money train rolling too long, and now it's a borderline unwatchable show.
Well... The whole premise of the show is how he met the kids' mother. The whole joke of that premise is that it's dragged out for so long... It's kind of intended to be a long show, like how Friends was 10 series. Wouldn't be much of a TV show if he just looked the kids in the eye and said "we were drunk and in a bar".
No I get that, but they're still taking too long. They could have wrapped things up nicely last season or so, ended things on a good note, but now they're putting out shows that just suck.

Tropicaz said:
Lionsfan said:
With regards to tv, I've given up on How I Met Your Mother. I'm still watching, it's mostly just for curiosities sake, but I just don't give a crap anymore. They've stretched things out too much, tried to keep the money train rolling too long, and now it's a borderline unwatchable show.

Other than that, there's not really anything I've given up on

Nevermind, I've given up on the Halo franchise. Halo 4 ruined it all for em
I'd agree with HIMYM, they should have really capped it off in S7. As far as i'm aware 8 is the last series, i hope so. I just want to be done with it really.
I wish Season 8 would be the end too, but..... [http://screencrush.com/how-i-met-your-mother-season-9-confirmed/]

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I used to say my piece in a number of religious discussions (I say "discussion" because I always try to be nice, they honestly weren't, most of the time), many of which resided on this website - not due in any way to some sort of higher level of idiocy on the Escapist than anywhere else, quite the opposite, I simply just frequent the Escapist more than any other forum - and others, alongside real life conversations. Nowadays I just leave it. I honestly don't think you can argue someone into faith in something, and if you successfully argue someone out of faith, I would question the kind of "faith" it was in the first place. Those arguments are just a never-ending tirade of people not willing to act with humility or any semblance of empathy towards the "other side", seeing everything as an "either-or" situation. So yeah, a while back I just thought to myself, "i'm done with this", and haven't really bothered since. I may pitch in occasionally if I see the conversation as being reasonable (to my own subjective standards, whatever I feel is "reasonable").

On the gaming side of things, I got "done" with JRPG's around FF12. I was never a real JRPG follower in the first place, I played FF7, 9, 10, and 12. But I didn't even finish 12, it felt like the same story over and over again. I don't think JRPG's are bad, I'm just personally done with them, they don't entertain me.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Griffolion said:
I used to say my piece in a number of religious discussions (I say "discussion" because I always try to be nice, they honestly weren't, most of the time), many of which resided on this website - not due in any way to some sort of higher level of idiocy on the Escapist than anywhere else, quite the opposite, I simply just frequent the Escapist more than any other forum - and others, alongside real life conversations. Nowadays I just leave it. I honestly don't think you can argue someone into faith in something, and if you successfully argue someone out of faith, I would question the kind of "faith" it was in the first place. Those arguments are just a never-ending tirade of people not willing to act with humility or any semblance of empathy towards the "other side", seeing everything as an "either-or" situation. So yeah, a while back I just thought to myself, "i'm done with this", and haven't really bothered since. I may pitch in occasionally if I see the conversation as being reasonable (to my own subjective standards, whatever I feel is "reasonable").
I came to the very same conclusion evangelical atheists are as tiresome as evangelists with faith both sides know they are right etc. and no middle ground can be found a lesson i learned the hard way as an agnostic. So i steer clear of any such discussions as peoples fangs tend to come out and both sides feel in the superior position till the arguments escalate and escalate.