"That's Not a Real Job"

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
You ever get someone that tells you that? I got an argument with someone that says art isn't a real job because there's no physical labour involved, and nobody should charge more than 10 dollars for a drawing. Needless to say many erupted at him, but I've heard this about almost every job that involves entertainment or the like.

All I hear from it is "Stop enjoying your work and have a miserable job like mine". I mean, what is a "real" job? I perform a service, people are willing to pay for it, I get paid. Is it not a real job because I enjoy doing it?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
They are silly people, ignore them and enjoy your fat-stacks.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I got this a lot when I worked at a movie rental store.
They're sore at you for having a job that's not breaking your ass at a factory for 40 hours a week and still making good money.
It's bullshit, ignore it. : D

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
My cousin and his wife put probably a combined 130+ hours a week into running a successful restaurant, and his ***** of a mother-in-law is just waiting for the two of them to get real jobs. That's an absurd stance from just about every angle. If you find something you can do to a degree of quality that people are willing to spend money on it, then congrats, you have a real job.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Gibberish, spouted by bitter or jealous people. Pay it no heed.

I'm sure your paycheck is real enough - that's what matters :p

Xukog

May 21, 2011
Just another stupid thing people do to try to make themselves feel better. I figure as long as your not breaking the law somehow,whatever you feel like doing that you can get paid for is a real job.

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010
Sounds like the guy defines "a real job" as putting in far more than he takes out, in this case then there's no such thing as a "real job" in banking or politics- but wait... they get paid more money in a year than the OP's guy will in his lifetime

Fool on him

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
Nobody ever threw that at me. Seeing as so far I've only worked in construction before going back to school. Construction is pretty much one of the jobs with a capital J. If aren't a fancy pants rich boy you probably have a grandfather that worked in construction. That or at a factory. And he enjoyed working with cars too. All grandfathers do.

Realistically though, any trade people are willing to pay you money for doing is a real job. I will concede however that not all jobs are work. I consider work to be a job that requires physical labor. My definition works better in Swedish though. Both job and work would be translated to roughly the same thing. The use of the word work I'm talking about is closer to the use in physics than in general usage.

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
It's an understandable thought I think. It's utterly close-minded and wrong but it's understandable. Art is a luxury so it's harder to appreciate than necessities, like houses or food. It was Picasso who said "Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life", which for the developed person does eventually become semi-necessary.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
I got it in my last job. From a drunk. Apparently the fact that I was sober and being paid to be at the apartment complex I was working security for was inferior to this moron who couldn't even work his phone without my help...

...and didn't live there.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Vausch said:
You ever get someone that tells you that? I got an argument with someone that says art isn't a real job because there's no physical labour involved, and nobody should charge more than 10 dollars for a drawing. Needless to say many erupted at him, but I've heard this about almost every job that involves entertainment or the like.

All I hear from it is "Stop enjoying your work and have a miserable job like mine". I mean, what is a "real" job? I perform a service, people are willing to pay for it, I get paid. Is it not a real job because I enjoy doing it?
Bollocks to what they think. You enjoy your work and get paid for it, what more is there?

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
I get this all the time off my brother who's in finance and banking. "Teaching isn't a real job and you need to get in the real world."

My response:

"Yeah well at least teachers contribute to society rather than ruining our economy."

nexus

May 30, 2012
The blue-collar world is rife with pride in suffering. Not miserable every day? You're not a real person then. People that do this like to project their misery onto others. Try to invent a competition for "who has it worst" when there wasn't even a demand for such a thing.

They often brag about being sick, or hurt. They will ask you how you are, and if you reply with "not feeling well", they'll quip out a remark on how they were much sicker than you a few weeks ago, and how they went to work anyway. Etc.

Also, usually alcoholism.

White-collar does it too in their own special sociopath way, so don't get any ideas on me being elitist.

Sep 14, 2009
eh while i think the entertainment industry is way over valued sometimes in terms of how much some people make, they are all DEFINITELY real jobs

(and don't quote me with "blah blah people are willing to pay blah blah" crap, i understand all of it, doesn't mean i have to like it.)

King Aragorn

Mar 15, 2013
gmaverick019 said:
eh while i think the entertainment industry is way over valued sometimes in terms of how much some people make, they are all DEFINITELY real jobs

(and don't quote me with "blah blah people are willing to pay blah blah" crap, i understand all of it, doesn't mean i have to like it.)
Well then, may I ask why don't you like it? I don't see what's wrong with that myself.
Jamieson 90 said:
I get this all the time off my brother who's in finance and banking. "Teaching isn't a real job and you need to get in the real world."

My response:

"Yeah well at least teachers contribute to society rather than ruining our economy."
Hmm...I wonder who teached him finance and banking...
Oh wait, teachers!

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
Do you get paid for it?

If so, it's a real job.
If not, it's a hobby.

That's how I see it anyway. Now, one can debate the merits of different jobs, and how useful they are to society and such, but as long as you get paid, it's a real job.

I do think a lot of jobs are VASTLY overpaid, but hell, someone is obviously willing to pay these people obscene amounts of money, so good for them.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
job
/jäb/
Noun
A paid position of regular employment.

So yeah, if you're getting paid, it's a job. Anyone tells you it's not can shove it.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
CrossLOPER said:
If it earns you a good living, it's a "real" job.
There are people managing to live quite well by begging. Is that a real job?

OT: I would be happy to have a job so I don't really care about what's real or not. People say stupid things, that wont change. We might say that working in the entertainment industry isn't a productive job, but it's still a job and it serves an important purpose.